PDA

View Full Version : Steve Rattner Out As Head Of Auto Task Force

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/13/steven-rattner-leave-auto-task-force/

Ron Bloom, a former steel worker union official is now heading up the task force. I see this as a good thing.

I have to admit that Rattner did what I thought was impossible, moving the GM BK along in less than two months. However as a finance guy under a cloud of scandal, and given that GM has been run by finance guys for the last 50 years that have successfully run the company completely into the ground. No idea if Bloom is a "car" guy or not.

In no way meant as a political post. This is important for GM.

68rustang
07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I am undecided if having a former union official in charge of an industry whose survival may depend on very tough negotiations with the UAW is a good or bad thing. He may "know the ropes" which might allow him to usher things along. He could also handicap the entire country for a long time if he just rubber stamps everything the union asks for.

I guess time will tell but the whole idea of a "Car Czar" doesn't sit well with me.

Chewy
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Lawyers, politicians, and accountants should NEVER run a business...

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Lawyers, politicians, and accountants should NEVER run a business...

And in the case of GM, finance guys shouldn't either.

I know Lutz is getting old but I would have loved to have seen him head GM post BK. I'm thrilled he is in charge of marketing. Now you have a car guy running the marketing talking to the engineers to bring it to life. Versus marketing morons who don't know the first thing about engineering, telling the engineers what to do. That system gave us the Pontiac Aztek*, among other gems from GM.

* I will readily admit that the Aztek was ground breaking in many ways, paving the way for other niche designed vehicles like the Element and xB that had looks only a mother could love also. I'll also readily admit that the Aztek was one of the first true crossover SUVs. I'll also admit I always viewed the Aztek as a lobster. Horrible to look at on the outside but if you could get past its shell it had a darn nice, well thought out, feature rich interior.

Purf
07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
And in the case of GM, finance guys shouldn't either.

I know Lutz is getting old but I would have loved to have seen him head GM post BK. I'm thrilled he is in charge of marketing. Now you have a car guy running the marketing talking to the engineers to bring it to life. Versus marketing morons who don't know the first thing about engineering, telling the engineers what to do. That system gave us the Pontiac Aztek*, among other gems from GM.

* I will readily admit that the Aztek was ground breaking in many ways, paving the way for other niche designed vehicles like the Element and xB that had looks only a mother could love also. I'll also readily admit that the Aztek was one of the first true crossover SUVs. I'll also admit I always viewed the Aztek as a lobster. Horrible to look at on the outside but if you could get past its shell it had a darn nice, well thought out, feature rich interior.

Agree with your comment on Lutz. Hope someone listens to a real "car guy."

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Lutz gave us:

Solstice
SKY
G8
Volt (coming)
Cruze (coming)
Cobalt SS (the good one)
Lambada quadruplets (Acadia/Outlook/Enclave/Traverse)
Malibu
GMT900 platform
CTS-V
Earth shaking $100K Corvette supercar
Camaro
A de-plasticed Chevrolet Avalanche
The death of plastic cladding in general
Huge improvements in GM interiors that can be seen not over decades by year over year

A line up that when you dive into it, kicks Toyota into the ground in MPG while largely competitive on speeds and feeds

He's done a lot for GM, I'm glad he is sticking around. His German roots shows in a lot of his design and handling characteristics, if he's calling the shots on marketing, exciting times potentially ahead. I had feared as "government motors" the strides made like on the Malibu, with decisions to spend $100 extra on the interior components (wow what a difference $100 per car makes) would go away when he departed. Hopefully we'll see more of this.

newman27
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Lutz gave us:

Solstice
SKY

...and the original and new Opel GT! I'm a big Bob Lutz fan and glad he is staying!