PDA

View Full Version : Monroe/GT Dampers?

WhyteSS
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a set of King drop springs that I'am getting ready to install. My question is, should I wait and order Monroe/GT dampers too or will the stock dampers be fine?

Crazy Paul
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Here's an info page on the Monroe GT Sports. Check the FAQ section.
http://www.monroe.com.au/products/gt-sport.html

I have a couple sets of the shortened GT's in Ohio if you want some just let me know.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/R1010521.jpg

WhyteSS
07-13-2009, 10:55 AM
how much for these again ?

Crazy Paul
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
PM re-sent.

G8DRIV3R
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
what is the cost oon this setup, if its less than the pedders, i am def. interested

Crazy Paul
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Lowering Kit = DealLK-Bonkers : US$850 delivered.
Lovells Springs
http://www.lovells.com.au/
Monroe shortened shocks and struts, bolts and bump stops included.
http://www.monroe.com.au/

dandragonrage
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I can tell you I would never put Monroe anything on my car...

WhyteSS
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Why not ???

dandragonrage
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Why not ???

Monroe:suspension::Fram:oil filters

Cheap brand, not the most reliable, but their valving is crap. They like that old Cadillac floating, disconnected feel. Think the GTs are better? Try them next to some Bilsteins or Konis or Tokico Illumina, etc.

I may be a snob about suspension, but I just think it's best to do it right the first time.

WhyteSS
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Now you have me second guessing

dandragonrage
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Well, you have to ask yourself what your goals are with the car. Maybe you don't care for twisties as much as I do. I don't think the shocks will be suitable for drop springs though TBH. Shocks need stronger valving with drop springs because they have to damp the same amount in a shorter stroke.

WhyteSS
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, It's more for the look but I would still like them to perform.

Panzer Leader
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Tried using Monroes as replacements on my 6000STE. On and off the same day.

BSmith
07-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm not sure what the drop is on those springs, but stock dampers will most likely work fine. I'm running the Pedders lowering springs on mine with stock dampers. Car drives fine.

dandragonrage
07-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure what the drop is on those springs, but stock dampers will most likely work fine. I'm running the Pedders lowering springs on mine with stock dampers. Car drives fine.

"Car drives fine," to me, does not imply that you had much of an expectation here.

You know that having correctly valved shocks for what you want to do will help handling more than dropping the car an inch on poor shocks?

To begin with, I think that more people out there drop their car without having a good reason, when the supporting mods they NEED to make those drop springs work correctly will do more than the drop springs themselves.

WhyteSS
07-16-2009, 07:12 AM

I'm told they should drop about 1.25 inches all around.

BSmith
07-16-2009, 07:13 AM
dandragonrage,

I understand the valving in the shocks. I lowered the car because I feel it looks better lower, not because of the handling aspects. This car NEEDS to be lowered. ;) The car does handle better, but I did not do any specific testing, nor have the equipment to monitor the changes, so I decided "car drives fine" is an acceptable response.

Since the OP doesn't sound like he is trying to track the car and isn't looking for all out handling, I'm assuming that he is more interested in maintaining ride quality with a slight enhancement of handling.

Pedders has a thread somewhere about lowering on stock shocks. Even though they suggest you buy their upgraded everything, they acknowledge that it is fine to lower on stock shocks.

BSmith
07-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm told they should drop about 1.25 inches all around.

If you aren't going for all out handling the car will be fine.

Monroe has a history of not producing the best shocks for handling, at least here in the states. As far as the "GT Gas", I don't do enough suspension work to have experience with them to make a claim either way.

dandragonrage
07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Pedders has a thread somewhere about lowering on stock shocks. Even though they suggest you buy their upgraded everything, they acknowledge that it is fine to lower on stock shocks.

So, then, "We would like you to buy a lot of our stuff, but we'll concede that you'll be well off just buying some of our stuff"?

Personally, I don't understand the "lower is better looking" idea at all, but if you're satisfied.... But regardless, shocks/struts are more important than springs, and they become all the more important with drop springs, especially more so if said springs have a higher spring rate.

WhyteSS
07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
You are correct in your observations. I'am not looking to track the car. I bought the kings springs from a fellow owner for a great price. The King springs/ Monroe GT combo are supposed to work together well. If the drop isnt what I like I may go with H&R springs.

BSmith
07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
So, then, "We would like you to buy a lot of our stuff, but we'll concede that you'll be well off just buying some of our stuff"?

I think there is a push for doing things 100000000% right, doing things 100% right, and doing things that work fine. It also depends on what the customer really wants/expects/has money for.

You can put heads and cam only on your car. You can run a nice twin turbo setup without touching the bottom end. Would it be incorrect to say that "it works fine." Or should we get into how all forged internals and a set of ported heads is required to get the full potential?

Personally, I don't understand the "lower is better looking" idea at all, but if you're satisfied....

It's all a matter of personal preference I guess. I would think the general consensus is that the car looks better lowered, whether it has the bite to back up the bark is another story.

I'm on your side of the boat on different things, don't worry, I'm not trying to pick on ya. Just a little friendly debate. :nah:

dandragonrage
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
No offense taken. Me, I watch Top Gear regularly and dream of doing the things they do. Well, not the stupid things. But that's the kind of stuff I like. They did have the Vauxhall VXR8 on the show, by the way. Awesomeness.

WhyteSS
07-21-2009, 08:23 AM
My shocks have arrived and I should have them installed this weakend. Thanks CP !!!

richm52
07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Would it be posible to take some before and after measurements so we know the amount of drop you got from this package? Thanks

WhyteSS
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Sure, I will take some. I've been told about 1.25 inches all around.

G8-SSV
07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Here's an info page on the Monroe GT Sports. Check the FAQ section.
http://www.monroe.com.au/products/gt-sport.html

I have a couple sets of the shortened GT's in Ohio if you want some just let me know.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/R1010521.jpg

you have link to GT-sport and its GT-gas on the picture (P# look to be GT-sport )

GT-gas is not designed for king springs and is not recommended by kings to be used together.
GT-sport are shorter shocks specifically designed for the lowering to restore suspension travel

todds87ss
07-31-2009, 10:21 PM

I can tell you that you currently have Monroe on your car (take a look at the stock dampers):)
...Sorry...

-Ray-
08-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Sure, I will take some. I've been told about 1.25 inches all around.

The best method of measuring ride height is to take a measurement from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the fender lip.

dandragonrage
08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
I can tell you that you currently have Monroe on your car (take a look at the stock dampers):)
...Sorry...

Who ever said the stock dampers weren't crap? They always are until you get into rather expensive cars.

WhyteSS
08-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, I finally got these installed today !!! So far I'am very happy with everything. Will post some pics once its stops raining and the front settles alittle more. It's amazing how a drop on these cars really improves how it looks.

Crazy Paul
08-15-2009, 05:06 PM
you have link to GT-sport and its GT-gas on the picture (P# look to be GT-sport )

GT-gas is not designed for king springs and is not recommended by kings to be used together.
GT-sport are shorter shocks specifically designed for the lowering to restore suspension travel

Monroe packaged these sets of shortened GT-sport shocks in GT-gas boxes.
I don't know why they did that. A box shortage ?
Yes the Part numbers on the boxes match GT-sport because they are GT-sport shocks in the boxes.

WhyteSS
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
some pics:

ghodge
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
WhyteSS,

What drop springs did you use, 0.5", 1", or something else?

Thanks,

George

WhyteSS
08-26-2009, 07:16 AM
The drop was alittle over an inch I believe.