PDA

View Full Version : G8 to live on as Caprice

Master8ter
07-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Found on ls1tech
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/lutz-pontiac-g8-to-continue-as-chevy-caprice-in-u-s-z28-likel/

BREAKING: Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice in U.S.; Camaro Z28 reportedly dead

Quote:
Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.

Vertical
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
<3

Mike P
07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Yes, make it a Chevrolet! : )

p71
07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
which is what I wanted in the first place.

Defeater
07-11-2009, 10:37 AM
It may be a Chevy, but hey, at least it'll still be around.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/bob_lutz_pontiac_g8_chevrolet_caprice/index.html

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/22617464+w750+st0/0907_01_z+2009_chevrolet_caprice+front_view.jpg

Maximum Bob Lutz is my freakin' personal hero. :woohoo:

UGotSmkd
07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I would buy that Caprice, with a V8 of course.

Gris
07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Great news, (esp. since G8 still looks better)!

SRG963
07-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah!

AusTXGT
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
It is a little plain looking. But that just means more things to mod. Lets hope the keep the V8 and don't just sell it as a 6.

GT G8
07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
w00t!

Defeater
07-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Blah, late to the party.

grandmacpubah
07-11-2009, 01:40 PM
if this is true this great news for parts availability and service for us.

fiveoh
07-11-2009, 01:44 PM
if this is true this great news for parts availability and service for us.

If they keep everything the same.

To be honest I was a tad happy they werent going to make g8s anymore just because there aren't very many of them and I like driving a car people dont know what it is/dont see much.

Master8ter
07-11-2009, 02:02 PM
+1.
I still get people asking me what kind of car it is.

WickedMom
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
our hood is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better :) I hope they bring it back as a Caprice. But I am hanging on to my G8 for sures!!!1

I hope Bob Lutz stays around for a long time!

Oldtimer
07-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Wonder if Chevy will use this as their Nationwide COT, as they apparently poo-pooed the idea of having it badged as a Camaro?

Ford's will be a Mustang, and Dodge's will be a Challenger. No word, that I've seen, on what Toyota will do.

GXPaycheck
07-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Buy one and put Pontiac badges on it. That will teach them!

johnh
07-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Get rid of that cavalier front end though!

gearhead455
07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
WOW!!!! What an ugly piece of crap!!! Glad I got a G8. :nah:

01350ta
07-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Good on ya Bob.

Defeater
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't judge the new Caprice by the looks of the current Middle East version; by the time Chevy's ready to roll out a Commodore derivative it'll probably be based on a new design (VF Commodore/WN Statesman).

GT G8
07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Tell me where I can buy those C-Class looking headlights.

Slizzo
07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't judge the new Caprice by the looks of the current Middle East version; by the time Chevy's ready to roll out a Commodore derivative it'll probably be based on a new design (VF Commodore/WN Statesman).

I don't know, they're already rolling out of Australia with the Chevy bits on it right? Weren't the G8/Commodore/Lumina all coming out of there anyway?

If they call it the caprice, but keep it the same as the Lumina I'll be happily surprised, I think the Lumina SS is a great looking car.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/russsl8/2008chevyluminass04.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/russsl8/2008chevyluminass03.jpg

PaFromFL
07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
A Chevy price point doesn't make sense given the weakening dollar and expense of retooling a factory in the USA. Maybe Bob is banking on a subsidized trade agreement with Australia.

Slizzo
07-11-2009, 08:38 PM
A Chevy price point doesn't make sense given the weakening dollar and expense of retooling a factory in the USA. Maybe Bob is banking on a subsidized trade agreement with Australia.

From what it looks like to me, they don't plan on manufacturing it in the NE, just keep importing it with a different front end/badging.

Panzer Leader
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I could live with if it had the hood scoops. You could always rebadge.

GT G8
07-11-2009, 08:56 PM
What I want to know is, will people buy these and dream of badging them as Pontiacs the same way some want Holden badging and bumpers?

lol...

p71
07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
If they do bring it over everyone who did a holden conversion is going to be pissed as it is the same front end with a chevy badge.

bobyoung
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't know, they're already rolling out of Australia with the Chevy bits on it right? Weren't the G8/Commodore/Lumina all coming out of there anyway?

If they call it the caprice, but keep it the same as the Lumina I'll be happily surprised, I think the Lumina SS is a great looking car.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/russsl8/2008chevyluminass04.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/russsl8/2008chevyluminass03.jpg

That's not too bad looking except for that stupid looking spoiler. I still think the G8 blows it away in looks but I'm glad they're going to keep making it as long as it is offered with the two V8s no matter how it looks although I would not buy one with a spolier on it.

El.Diablos.G8
07-11-2009, 09:46 PM
I would buy one for the wife

El.Diablos.G8
07-11-2009, 09:48 PM
lets hope that they do not jack the price

zepcom
07-12-2009, 03:09 AM
I read an article several months back regarding the LAPD being very close to sealing a deal to directly import the holden commodore, with slight rebadging (yes, Chevrolet) for their entire fleet of cop cars. According to the article, that was 40k cars.

And that's only LAPD. Think of the sheer numbers across the entire USA for potential law enforcement fleets... Sure, not every law enforcement entity will be interested in this, because many have converted over to the charger lineup or still have some life left in their crown vics, etc.

But, you have to be silly to not realize that the potential to get lots of the new "caprice"s out on the streets as law enforcement vehicles, would in iteself drive sales by ordinary folks who see them as nice looking vehicles.

GM would be stupid not to see this as an opportunity here to make some $$ and finally have an option for law enforcement since the discontinued "blimpy" caprices of the late 1990's. Yes, these are fleet sales with low overheads, however, at least they're not flooding rental agencies with them!!

Like ... when the impala SS was around in 1996, there were people in my area taking government auction caprice's that were retired cop cars (think Blues Brothers modern style) and rebuilding the LT1's and coming up with almost an impala-SS due to the history of them as cop cars. Sure, as cop cars, most of them were beat to $H1# ... however ... they still could hold their own in performance against a factory fresh impy ss.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that they most definately will offer it as a V8; especially for the law enforcement side of things...

I personally don't think it looks that bad. I can also understand (and respect) how other enthusiests on these message boards hate it and think that it's a cheap imitation of their beloved G8. I tend to believe that it may help the parts availability as the years roll on for us, but who knows. I also like the potential down the line for this Caprice idea to morph into a roadmaster-like offering, as well as a potential "el-camino" type offering (ill-fated G8-ST UTE Finally imported?!) ... and those lines would also bring more customers to Chevy's doorstep... especially so for the el-camino remake if there was to be one.

So to each their own. This news seems to be met with fierce beliefs from both sides of the spectrum; hopefully we can all just get along! :boxing:

--zepcom

GM_Fan
07-12-2009, 05:21 AM
I can live with this platform being a Chevrolet. It is too good of a platform to be cut after a couple years.

bobyoung
07-12-2009, 08:41 AM
It's better looking than the caprice.

'02 ws6
07-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I love it that GM is keeping the car, just changing the name, but....I'm not real thrilled on the Caprice idea. When I think Caprice, I envision the big ass collonade cars from the 70s and 80s that were eventually turned into cop cars and donks. I would like to see it a new name, or even retro name (other than Impy or Monte), like the Lumina/Lumina SS, Caprice is granny sounding.

PUGS
07-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I am not crazy about it becoming a Chevy. But I am happy to see GM is finally going to hold on to such a great product. Unlike in the past.

Master8ter
07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I would not be suprised to see this new car with the same branding as the 90's Caprice's. The caprice will probably be offered as a 6 or 8 cyl(gt) and will retain ls3 to be used in what should be called the Impala SS. Remember In the 90's, that was the only impala model. The SS. I just can't see them doing a Caprice SS out of the GXP. It just doesn't sound right. Caprice has allways been your grandfather's car and the impala had the muscle heritage.

HoldenMan21
07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Caprice, Lumina, G8 .... guys it's still a Commodore ! and that's what we have, love and drive with pleasure and pride !

So no matter what the name is , IT DOESN'T MATTER , what matters is that Bob Lutz is THE MAN who will keep the Holden Commodore alive on this side of the planet !

Gotta love Bob !

Master8ter
07-12-2009, 01:19 PM
+1

'02 ws6
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Caprice, Lumina, G8 .... guys it's still a Commodore ! and that's what we have, love and drive with pleasure and pride !

So no matter what the name is , IT DOESN'T MATTER , what matters is that Bob Lutz is THE MAN who will keep the Holden Commodore alive on this side of the planet !

Gotta love Bob !

I agree with you in part, but like I said before, the Caprice namesake has hardly been exciting, just a big docile granny car. Marketing is the new GM, and if they keep the Caprice name, it's not a real good marketing ploy. Just my opinion though.

gearhead455
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Report: Pontiac G8 to live on as Chevrolet Caprice
07/11/2009, 1:39 PM
By Nick Aziz

Importing the Australian-market Holden Commodore to America as the Pontiac G8 was arguably one of the smarter moves GM’s management made with regard to the Pontiac brand. But with the demise of the division at hand, Americans are once again without a large rear-wheel-drive sedan from The General. Or maybe not. If Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has his way, the G8 will become the new Chevrolet Caprice.

GM previously stated it would not rebadge the G8 as a Chevy, but rumors about its revival surfaced just over a month ago. A renewed role for Lutz at the company means he will likely push for the car to saved. “Lutz will take over,” GM Chief Financial Officer Ray Young told BusinessWeek. “If he concludes that there is a role [for the G8] to play, we’ll listen.”

But don’t take Young’s word for it. Mr. Lutz himself confirms the G8 will live on. “We decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet,” Lutz told Automobile. “It is kind of too good to waste.”

It’s unclear how quickly the new Caprice might come to market. Essentially, the G8 would only require new badges and a different grille. Of course, even designing a new grille takes time. It could be months before the new Caprice goes shows up in showrooms.

As for its overall appearance, we suspect it will look similar to the Lumina sold in Middle East markets (pictured). However, GM cannot use the exact same fascia because it is not designed to conform to U.S. safety regulations.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-caprice.html

Panzer Leader
07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
This is like Micheal Jackson getting another plastic surgery. If i got one I would rebadge it. Hopefully it will get the DI V6 (w/6spd manual please) and a GT V8. Maybe a very limited number of the GXP type but at this point I am getting really fried on are they or are they not going to do it.

WickedMom
07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I noticed something strange in SI yesterday. The 2011 model now is in the drop down (only for cruz and malibu), But Pontiac shows up for 2010 now. G3, 5, 6 & 8, Solstice, Vibe and a Matiz Classic. I do not recall seeing all those models showing up before the SI release of the 2011 chevys. I am confused at what may or may not be happening now. When I try to access the 2010 G8 it says 'The logged in user does not have permission to view publications for this vehicle. ' But all the other models work (except the Matiz, which is/was a daewoo)

Seattle09GT
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
This is great news!

Will it actually come with Bluetooth, or will they just claim that it does? ;)

bobyoung
07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah Caprice and Lumina both suck as muscle car names, at least Impala was associated with some great cars back in the 60's. I had a friend who had a 67 Red SS-396 4 speed Impala, now that was a nice car, big but nice. One year at the Summer Nationals the first car to come up was a Black 69 SS-427 4 speed Impala. I would like to see them named Chevelles myself. SS Chevelles were the balls.

Seattle09GT
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah Caprice and Lumina both suck as muscle car names, at least Impala was associated with some great cars back in the 60's. I had a friend who had a 67 Red SS-396 4 speed Impala, now that was a nice car, big but nice. One year at the Summer Nationals the first car to come up was a Black 69 SS-427 4 speed Impala. I would like to see them named Chevelles myself. SS Chevelles were the balls.

Caprice SS?

Panzer Leader
07-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Will they reengineer the front strut design?

zosoboogie
07-13-2009, 05:31 AM
I knew it, Sweet!!

chiller2484
07-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Man o man am i hoping this isn't just dust in the wind! if they keep the g8 as a chevy then maybe one day i willbe able to get one! and i like the way that red one (in the pic a few pages back) looks!

RobA300
07-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I like the Caprice name. I think it is a wise decision. The current Commodore platform is supposed to last 2-3 more years until the next Zeta platform is to be developed. They already spent the money for development and contracts to build the G8, so why not use the last 3 years of the platform to sell more cars. If all that is required is a nose lift to sell a car without having to engineer everything in it, it is a wise investment. Maybe as a Chevy they don't have to give you all of the extra options and can reach a little wider demographic price wise.

zosoboogie
07-13-2009, 06:43 AM
I read an article several months back regarding the LAPD being very close to sealing a deal to directly import the holden commodore, with slight rebadging (yes, Chevrolet) for their entire fleet of cop cars. According to the article, that was 40k cars.

And that's only LAPD. Think of the sheer numbers across the entire USA for potential law enforcement fleets... Sure, not every law enforcement entity will be interested in this, because many have converted over to the charger lineup or still have some life left in their crown vics, etc.

But, you have to be silly to not realize that the potential to get lots of the new "caprice"s out on the streets as law enforcement vehicles, would in iteself drive sales by ordinary folks who see them as nice looking vehicles.

GM would be stupid not to see this as an opportunity here to make some $$ and finally have an option for law enforcement since the discontinued "blimpy" caprices of the late 1990's. Yes, these are fleet sales with low overheads, however, at least they're not flooding rental agencies with them!!

Like ... when the impala SS was around in 1996, there were people in my area taking government auction caprice's that were retired cop cars (think Blues Brothers modern style) and rebuilding the LT1's and coming up with almost an impala-SS due to the history of them as cop cars. Sure, as cop cars, most of them were beat to $H1# ... however ... they still could hold their own in performance against a factory fresh impy ss.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that they most definately will offer it as a V8; especially for the law enforcement side of things...

I personally don't think it looks that bad. I can also understand (and respect) how other enthusiests on these message boards hate it and think that it's a cheap imitation of their beloved G8. I tend to believe that it may help the parts availability as the years roll on for us, but who knows. I also like the potential down the line for this Caprice idea to morph into a roadmaster-like offering, as well as a potential "el-camino" type offering (ill-fated G8-ST UTE Finally imported?!) ... and those lines would also bring more customers to Chevy's doorstep... especially so for the el-camino remake if there was to be one.

So to each their own. This news seems to be met with fierce beliefs from both sides of the spectrum; hopefully we can all just get along! :boxing:

--zepcom

if that's the case and the Pontiac not being a cop car would our Pontiacs be worth more in the future???

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 09:44 AM
if that's the case and the Pontiac not being a cop car would our Pontiacs be worth more in the future???

It depends. About 24-1/2% of all the 2009/2009.5 G8s made sold in May and June of this year - that's pretty amazing numbers. If you do reading here people are traveling significant distances to buy a GXP (think flying to dealer to drive it home). I have a friend who owns a Pontiac dealer in the D.C. area, and is a big internet seller. Yanked all of their G8s from the internet not selling anymore on the internet. My dealer when they do swaps will swap out a non-G8 but will ONLY take a G8 in exchange because they can sell them that fast.

Deals are drying up (and say compared to the Charger which is still being given away).

The G8 has a lot of potential as a long term collectible, especially the GXP.

1) Limited production
2) Somewhat unassuming looks (nothing over the top)
3) A quirky history
4) Critical acclaim from top to bottom
5) Historical references as being the best Pontiac sedan ever
6) Some particular models (like Pacific Slate GXP) built in tiny quantities
7) Key mechanical parts will be available for years to come (just don't twist up the sheet metal)

Does that mean you should go buy a Pontiac GXP, seal it in a glass bubble and call it your 30 year retirement plan. Absolutely not. That would be insane. But the bleeding of value on the G8 has stopped, and as new CAFE standards kick in that make cars like the G8 impossible to build in the near future, there will always be a subset of people who will want a powerful sedan damn what I'm told.

LastMohican
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
lhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,532001,00.html

Chewy
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
lhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,532001,00.html

Merged with existing thread... :)

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Did you signal before your merged?

BW G8GT
07-13-2009, 02:34 PM
That's not too bad looking except for that stupid looking spoiler. I would not buy one with a spolier on it.

+1. The spoiler makes the car look gaudy!!

LastMohican
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
+1. The spoiler makes the car look gaudy!!

Yeah, G8 GT; not Mustang GT!

'02 ws6
07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Well it was a nice idea while it lasted.

July 16th, 2009

Bob LutzCars & Trucks
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time…
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

OK, I have some late-breaking news for you from the world of GM, where things are indeed moving quickly, and what I’m about to say is proof.

In fact, we’re moving so fast, we’re going back in time to, oh, about four or five days ago, when the Pontiac G8 was going away and was not going to become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

And therein lies the news: The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I’d mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

That’s all still true. But I have to say that, with my new “marketing” hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today’s market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

I know that we’ll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I’m one of them. And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there’s no case. With budgets being what they are for the time being, the resources must be allocated elsewhere.

In no way, and this is very important, in no way does this mean we are backing away from performance, or backing away from rear-wheel drive. Look no further for proof than the Corvette, the Camaro, the CTS or many other present and future Cadillacs. We have a strong lineup of RWD vehicles already and we will continue to have it.

And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now.

/end

Blah GM, ...Blah

Seattle09GT
07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT.

That’s all still true. But I have to say that, with my new “marketing” hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today’s market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

This is EXACTLY why I bought the G8. The days of cars like this are very numbered. At least I got in before it was too late.

Chocolate
07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Go Fvck yourself. Oh yeah, nothing personal.

jboogie
07-17-2009, 06:06 AM
If that is true.. I wish i could afford to store a G8 for about 20 yrs.. It will become a collectors item and be worth a nice chunk of change.

GM is really pissing me off with this decision!! :spank::boxing:

-Ray-
07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
The GXP won't take that long. According to Hot Rod magazine, it's an instant collectors item.

Seattle09GT
07-17-2009, 07:04 AM
The GXP won't take that long. According to Hot Rod magazine, it's an instant collectors item.

Look at the pricing trends on G8s. The deals people were getting from say October/November to mid-May are drying up, along with the inventory. Classic supply and demand.

Soon what will be left on lots is undesirable color/option combos and V6 models. If you're buying a G8 as part of your retirement plan, that is a dumb retirement strategy. If you're going to make an effort to take care of your G8 and keep miles relatively low - smart -- very smart.

If long term quality trends better than short term, and if the '09 cars that addressed things like leaking oil seals hold up a tad better, I think the fear of plunging resale value goes away, especially with GM out of bankruptcy (if they can stay that way).

grandmacpubah
07-17-2009, 08:11 AM
I have mixed feelings...part of me is glad to keep the exclusivity the other part is bummed parts won't be as readily available...that chevy version was butt ugly though lets be honest.

Punisher
07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I have mixed feelings...part of me is glad to keep the exclusivity the other part is bummed parts won't be as readily available...that chevy version was butt ugly though lets be honest.

+1

HoldenMan21
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Now what do you guys think of the new Chevy now ???

VaG8
07-22-2009, 07:19 PM
That is a pic of one awesome Chevy!

HoldenMan21
07-22-2009, 07:38 PM
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

OK, I have some late-breaking news for you from the world of GM, where things are indeed moving quickly, and what I’m about to say is proof.

In fact, we’re moving so fast, we’re going back in time to, oh, about four or five days ago, when the Pontiac G8 was going away and was not going to become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

And therein lies the news: The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I’d mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

I know that we’ll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I’m one of them. And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there’s no case. With budgets being what they are for the time being, the resources must be allocated elsewhere.

In no way, and this is very important, in no way does this mean we are backing away from performance, or backing away from rear-wheel drive. Look no further for proof than the Corvette, the Camaro, the CTS or many other present and future Cadillacs. We have a strong lineup of RWD vehicles already and we will continue to have it.

And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now.

Posted in Bob Lutz, GMBlogs.com

johnh
07-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Yep no case for a RWD performance sedan in the $30-40K market.

He lists a 2 seater, a 2+2 and a $50K plus car?

I think marketing's hat is cutting off blood flow to the brain...

So take the average "family" man. Comes into to look at the Camaro, but his 2-3 kids just aren't gonna fit in that backseat and/or he doesn't like the coffin like interior.

The Chevy Salesman could easily say well we have this Caprice here...its got the V8, lots of room, handles great...viola a Sale. Or he can direct him over to the Chrylser dealer for a Charger or Challenger....

HoldenMan21
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Yep no case for a RWD performance sedan in the $30-40K market.

He lists a 2 seater, a 2+2 and a $50K plus car?

I think marketing's hat is cutting off blood flow to the brain...

So take the average "family" man. Comes into to look at the Camaro, but his 2-3 kids just aren't gonna fit in that backseat and/or he doesn't like the coffin like interior.

The Chevy Salesman could easily say well we have this Caprice here...its got the V8, lots of room, handles great...VOILA a Sale. Or he can direct him over to the Chrysler dealer for a Charger or Challenger....

:woohoo:

And now that Chrysler is owned by Fiat, they will have for sale the new Alpha Romeo 169
http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/report-alfa-169-could-share-chrysler-300-platform-dodge-hornet-could-be-a-fiat/18509200+w750/alfa-romeo-169.jpg

And we will have the Chevy Cruze ... :woohoo:

Im so glad I got my G8 or I would have no iterest in any current GM products since I want a 4 door saloon and indeed the Camaro is a 2+2 ... :hang:

Don't get mw wrong guys, my entire extended familly has GM tatooes on the chest...but lately were looking at laser removal !
:gc:

'02 ws6
07-23-2009, 05:40 PM
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

Posted in Bob Lutz, GMBlogs.com

Posted it already on the previous page. :)
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

HoldenMan21
07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Posted it already on the previous page. :)
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

I was so frustrated that I did not even look if it was indeed posted.
But now that I see the "prototype" of the Caprise SS ....

:confused2:

Shredmo
07-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Assuming the G8 does not come back under a different name, over time, I think the G8 GT will hold it's value similar to a 1994-1996 Impala SS. I believe the production numbers are higher for the '94-'96 Impala SS compared to that of the G8 GT if anyone is curious.

Ktlplxm
07-25-2009, 05:44 AM
I hope they leave it dead personally. Chevy has always ruined certain monikers when bringing them "back". They take a good vehicle, tame it, overcharge, then complain that it doesn't sell as expected.. (malibu, impala, etc). But then again I've wanted Lutz fired for years since he has done nothing but kill cool cars.

gearhead455
08-16-2009, 04:24 AM
vote
nowBuzz up!
Nevermind -- No Pontiac G8-Based Chevy Caprice is Planned

Posted: Jul. 17, 2009 11:07 a.m.

The same General Motors executive who recently announced that the Pontiac G8 would live on under the name Chevy Caprice has retracted his words.

Autoblog reports, "General Motors' newly-appointed Vice Chairman, Bob Lutz" has issued a statement that "can be boiled down to two words: My bad." Lutz's comment to a reporter that GM planned to continue producing the Pontiac G8 under the Chevy nameplate caused a stir in the automotive press.

But, writing on GM's FastLane blog under the title "It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time," Lutz wrote, "The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I'd mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste," but "upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be."

The announcement means that the G8 - currently the top-rated car in our Muscle Car rankings, which consider the collective opinion of the automotive press - is once again slated to be discontinued at the end of 2009. In fact, if you are interested in the most performance-oriented G8, you may need to act quickly. Jalopnik notes, "Pontiac will only build 2,000 Pontiac G8 GXPs...ever." Pontiac Marketing Chief Cheryl Caton told Jalopnik that both the G8 GXP and the Solstice Coupe will be limited to just 2,000 models.

If you're in the market for a new car, check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars as well as this month's best car deals.