PDA

View Full Version : Roto-fab / hsrk / tune dyno'd

WARLOCK
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Ok, I had made a thread elsewhere about posting results of my car stock then with the roto-fab intake/hsrk/ INTENSE-RACING canned HP file for our cars. I installed the intake and hsrk last week and the thread for that is also here.

Well.. I took the whole thing to the dyno this morning which is a 2 hour drive. we got there at 1030 and had the car strapped and ready by 11.

1. let me give you the details. this is in south Louisiana and the temp at 11 am was 96 degrees with a heat index of 100. the humidity was 50%. No fan on the dyno.
2. DYNOJET 224XLC dyno
3. Last, the dyno itself was only about 2 months old and the owner WARNED me twice his new dyno was greedy. He told me a week before a guy with a tuned vette pulled 430rwhp on a dynojet elsewhere and not changing ANYTHING only pulled 404rwhp on this dyno.

Taking all these factors in while we were prepping the car i decided i would prepare for really low numbers. Knowing what I have seen most of you on this forum dyno stock or with simular mods to mine, I decided to call it at 318rwhp, as i already think I may have the lowest HP G8 on the planet. really, my G8 is not that impressive.. regardless the real purpose was to find out this.. IS INTENSE-RACING'S TUNE PRODUCING REAL WORLD RESULTS. I have confidence in the guys at Intense and have always been happy with there stuff.
I already use HPtuners so I bought the rotofab and the hptuner file from them. basically I pulled my stock file and emailed it to TODD who modified it to the same specs for his own G8 and emailed me it back. No case learn needed, and it cost me 100 bucks. hey thats a damn cheap tune if it works. so, does it work?

The first pull was roto intake,hsrk, and intense tune ALL INSTALLED and just as i recieved it from them, OTHERWISE a BONE stock G8 with EXACTLY 2564 miles on the odometer, ALL PULLS WERE MADE IN 3RD GEAR.

results.. 307rwhp

wow that sucked. we had no KR and when I asked about the A/F we looked at the wide band and the tuner said "I wouldn't *%#k with it" so with my IAT in the 110 range we decided to add back the 3 degrees my car was pulling for heat and made a second pull.
results 311rwhp.

still no KR, well one little .8 blip half a sec long could be fake. so we added 2 more degrees to the tables and made a third pull.
results 313rwhp.

At this point I was finished. I was close to what i expected so for shits and giggles i dropped the bone stock file back to the car and we made a pull with JUST THE ROTO AND HSRK.
results 285rwhp!!

I apologize I dont have the graphs or torque numbers displayed here I have the runs saved on my stick drive but have not got everything on my pc yet to post them.

last my point was made. regardless of how bad my car sucks ass the Intense tune alone resulted in a 22rwhp improvement by itself. with almost perfect A/F ratio. the dyno helped me acheive 6 more rwhp on top of that inside of ten minutes making it a very vaulable tool.
The tuner asked how much I paid for the file and he said "Thats cheap HP, I would have charged you at least 200 for that tune using my system"

SO there u have it.

1. the intense racing tune WORKS.
2. I still dont think that CAI makes enough difference alone for you to "feel" the difference.
3. my car sucks ass.

enjoy I will try to get the dyno sheets posted in the next few days once i figure out how.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3341.jpg

dukeofpg
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I am just curious. Why do you think your car is slow? Are you used to driving a really powerful sports car ie Vette, Ferrari? Is the G8 just a bit of a disapointment for you? I have had 3 buddies buy G8's after driving my totally stock car. I live a 5000 ft altitude also. I have raced the 2009 Cadillac CTS V on the Monticello private race track in NY and it is "almost" as fun as that car. When you factor in 4 doors with tons of room and comfort, decent gadgets, cheap paint, great looks and low cost... it is very fun to drive!! I love my car even more, since I have spent a few bucks upgrading.

-Ray-
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
With 2500 miles on your G8 the motor could still be a little tight. It took my G8 over 5000 miles before I started to see gas mileage improvement.

Devilish34
07-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Did I read this right all pulls were made in 3rd gear not 4th??

WARLOCK
07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Did I read this right all pulls were made in 3rd gear not 4th??

That is correct. We actually discussed that argument before making the pulls.
I figured that would stir up a debate. However if you look around the gains when people dyno in 3rd then in fourth they usually only pick up a couple hp at best. This dyno trip was what I concidered a worst case scenerio. extreme heat, humidity, tight motor on a tight dyno in 3rd.

wreckwriter
07-10-2009, 05:51 AM
No fan and 3rd gear didn't help.

MGM GT
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
No fan and 3rd gear didn't help.

True, wonder why they didn't use a fan? Forth gear has the closest to 1:1, 3rd skews the numbers just a tad.

WARLOCK
07-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I am just curious. Why do you think your car is slow? Are you used to driving a really powerful sports car ie Vette, Ferrari? Is the G8 just a bit of a disapointment for you? I have had 3 buddies buy G8's after driving my totally stock car. I live a 5000 ft altitude also. I have raced the 2009 Cadillac CTS V on the Monticello private race track in NY and it is "almost" as fun as that car. When you factor in 4 doors with tons of room and comfort, decent gadgets, cheap paint, great looks and low cost... it is very fun to drive!! I love my car even more, since I have spent a few bucks upgrading.

because I had a 99 GTP with a VS cam and intense tune and a few other goodies. It got better gas milage (28-29 highway, 21 in town) and was actually a little quicker in the 1/4.. Oh did I mention it was paid for? and had been since 2002? Unfortunatley I had to move on. Pontiacs wonderful build quality was starting to cost me more a month than a new car note. so I bought my G8. I love the car, dont mistake me. I just have seen everyone else's dyno numbers on here and 1/4 mile numbers and think I may have a lemon..

OLD_GOAT
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I think sometimes people get too hung up on dyno numbers. You want a real number, take her to the track, you want a real good number, take her to the track in the winter.

'02 ws6
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
x2 OLD GOAT

In your comparo you're some 10 +/- under the "norm" for CAI/Tuned cars, which is .1 @ the track. Get off the line better and make up that 10hp instead of worrying about dyno number's so much. Every dyno reads differently, so basing your "lemon" judgement on your hp numbers compared to others, isn't probably the best way to go about an assumption.

WARLOCK
07-13-2009, 03:13 AM
True enough guys. Good point. I will get some 1/4 mile sllips this oct when it cools off a bit. see whats what.
If i could squeeze 1.9 60ft.s out of a front drive street tired gtp maybe i can at least get some 2.0's with this thing.

my focus with the dyno really was not my car so much as it was I just wanted everyone to see, if you already had HPtuners that 100 bucks could get you 22rwhp without a dyno. The intense tune for CAI works and was pretty spot on A/F even if it is reserved in timing area. The transmisson improvements are very nice also. drives like stock under normal conditions but drop it into sport or manual and it will bark second everytime and rips third hard.. even with the traction control on. i personally wish it were a LITTLE firmer but I have been playing with it some myself. anyway, hope it helps someone make a choice on tune/intake

WARLOCK
07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
FINALLY GOT TO POST THE DYNO SHEETS! sorry for the delay

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/run1.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/run2.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/run3.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/run4.jpg

shane
07-24-2009, 09:24 PM
u can still go a leaner where u woul d prob pick up more power...
they are keeping it say and rich it looks like...

GRRRR8
07-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Get that A/F up to 12.5 and put a fan in front of it and there is your lost power.