PDA

View Full Version : HPS on the track = a bad day!

Big Daddy G8
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Absolutely DO NOT use HPS for track use. I tried last week at VIR and after one 30 minute session, the pads overheated, started to disintegrate and damn near destroyed my DBA slotted rotors. A link of photos is attached showing what they looked like. The pads actually lasted two more sessions, being babied, and then they were done (that's when photos were taken) Notice the material transfer from the rotor itself, filling in the slots on the rotor!

Luckily, a fellow track day attendee runs a brake business and I met the UPS truck the next morning with my HP Plus pads (no-one stocks anything on the shelf for our cars, but you guys new that). I installed the pads and had a great day!

Oh yeah, the HP Plus pads worked great, but still generated a great deal of heat. One of the track guys, who was aware of my day one brake woes asked if I had put on new track compound pads. When I confirmed, he said, "yeah we could tell because flames shoot out ever time in turn one." The photos of the burnt up caliper piston boots prove that as well.

Once again, HPS pads not at all up to the task of a track day, I found a slightly better brake performance over OEM on the street, but the would groan right at the point of release of grabbing.

Link : http://gallery.me.com/jrandress/100241

SRG963
07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

Vertical
07-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Scary stuff, thanks for sharing

MGM GT
07-10-2009, 07:28 AM
You killed those brakes!! Now you have a reason to upgrade to the GXP Brembo's :D

I use Hawk Blue's on the cars I take to VIR, you have to get them warm but then they work great.

01350ta
07-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info, wont be getting those pads anytime soon.

SpeedRacerX
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
I was at a sprint session on Saturday at the NJ Motorsports Park in Millville and the Corvette guys raved about the power and life they get out of the Hawk HP PLUS pads...

But Hawk's website states: "Warning! Due to the dramatic friction levels produced by this product to achieve "race-level" braking; rotor wear, noise, dust, and pad life may be affected."

So for my G8 GT on the street, for something better than stock, should I shy away from the HP PLUS because their warning seems to indicate that the HP PLUS might damage other parts of my braking system. Yet I'm also worried now about the HPS problem you experienced.

How about their Performance Ceramic that claims to be rotor friendly?

I was all psyched about the Hawk pads - now your post has me concerned about which ones will be great on the street.

I can tell you this, I had my G8 GT out on the track for about 10 lunchtime "parade" laps Saturday that turned into me and 8 Corvettes hitting turns in the 40-60 range and straights in the 80-105 range and my stock brakes, rotors, and 18" A/S tires were SCREAMING at me to give-up! My car was not prepared for that. Supposed to be "parade" laps. :)

dklau33
07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
HPS pads might be okay for a first timer on the track but other than that they have no business being on there. They are strictly a street pad. HP Plus are good novice pads but after 3 or 4 tracks days you'll probably fade those as well as your driving skills improve. With our very heavy cars you definitely need a pad that has a decently high maximum operating temperature. Too bad there aren't many motorsports compounds for the stock brakes. The GXP brembos have plenty as they share the same pad shape as EVOs, STIs, Ford GT, Shelby GT.