PDA

View Full Version : G8V8 backup camera mod

GXPaycheck
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Finally finished mine tonight Works great! Should be able to avoid the neighbors rug rats now. Install went ok. Did a little damage, :rant: but nothing that cant be fixed. Used the plug for the GM backup system for power. Ed's cables work perfectly. Camera is on the video, and iPod is on the audio. Maybe one day there will be a XM box plugged in there. Heading out to Chicago tomorrow, via Intense Racing in Columbus and VMS in Detroit, and maybe a quick visit to Roto-Fab on the way back. I will take some pics and post them when I can.
:woohoo::om:

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/paychecksign1.jpg

Steve
09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
haha I did mine today too! works just great.
Thanks for all the info ed!

G8V8
09-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Glad it worked well for you and that you are happy. I was able to secure a few more connectors and pins so I can make a few more cables if you know of anybody interested in a set.
Ed

Mav
09-17-2008, 05:01 AM
apparently i need to do some searching. I think I saw your "how-to" somewhere (either on this board or another), but how much are you charging for the necessary equipment?

Steve
09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
I ended up with basically the same camera but I think my 'package' was different. Was the only one on Ebay at the time that had the cam I wanted so I ended up with this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/CCD-LICENSE-PLATE-IR-WIDE-ANGLE-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ260288223299QQihZ016QQcategoryZ486 05QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I think Ed has one that had only 1 connector and 32 feet of cable.

Mine came with just the cam that had seperate connectors for Video, Power & a Left/Right Flip option so you can see the image either like you're looking in your rearview mirror or as if you're turning your head around. After Having tried both settings I 'think' i have decided on having it like the rearview mirror - just seems more natural that way.

I noticed there were several plastic plugs/fasteners in the trunk already so I just took out the middle one and enlarged the hole just enough so I could squeeze the connectors through one by one. Ofcourse I also put a grommet on there so the sharp edges wouldn't be cutting into the wires.

Then the fun started of routing the cables. I had bought a 12 foot Cable with RCA connectors from radioshack (Male-Male) and then a 6 foot extension (Male-Female) This proved to be just about the right length all together. I dropped the extension through the trunk lid so it came out where the other wires run bottom right, but since I didn't feel like cutting off the connectors I didn't snake it through the rubber hose that's there. I just wrapped it around it and into the trunk. Then from the front I ran the 12 foot section all along the mid section and took a shortcut underneath the front passenger seat and then ran it under the trim by the doors, underneath part of the backseat, up the side where there is an access area so you can get into the trunk.

For power I ran some wire through the trunklid again into the trunk and tapped into some wires that seemed to have 12 V on them ( a black & brown one in the connecter that goes to the taillights etc) Turns out this is tied to the normal light operation so I guess I Just need to at least have my DRL's on for power. I may try to find a permanent 12V line, but this is fine for now. Fun to look at cars behind you when you're in a drive-thru haha

ONLY real issue I have is the no video while moving crap.. mine cuts out at a whopping 2!!!! yes TWO miles per hour... what the hell?!?! Guess i'll be backing up WAAAY slow ...

Attached are some pics of my install (crappy cellphone pics - sorry!)

G8V8
09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Well done Steve. I tapped into the backup light power feed in the trunk for power so I have camera power in revearse and when the corner lights come on.
Mine cuts off pretty low too. You have to back up real ssllooowwww to keep it active. It is nice to be able to check the blind spots for kits or things left by kids.

i've rotated mine down so that the edge of the bumber is pretty straight. It makes it pretty easy to see how close you are to something as you back up to it, if you are going slow.

Once they get something to defeat non-VIM, we will be set.

cwhite
11-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to install one of the newer GM rearview mirrors that has the back-up camera's display on an LCD behind the glass? The Acadia / Traverse / Enclave have it, as well as the new Equinox. I would prefer to have the display in the mirror where I'm going to be looking anyway, versus the low dash display.

Just a thought. (also has the auto dim feature...)