PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate

Dunlin1
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
What is the best way to install the front license plate bracket on a 2009 G8 GXP? Unfortunatley I live in NYC and must have it on.

BlueJacket
07-08-2009, 09:30 AM
If you have to put it on get one of these.

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/gid/003636.htm

sweetair
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
+1^^^^^. It's on my to be gotten real soon list.

jmy
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Texas requires them too, I purchased mine from Ninosport.com. Simple install and was able to mount in the center of the airdam where all of the bracket is out of sight when looking down the front of the car from the hood. Of course you can see it under there from the front, but very low profile wouldn't know what you're looking at unless you know it's there.

Install allows you to get the holes lined up and then make minor adjustments so all fits under the airdam.

Devilish34
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Ask Featherburner about them he has one

'02 ws6
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Texas requires them too, I purchased mine from Ninosport.com. Simple install and was able to mount in the center of the airdam where all of the bracket is out of sight when looking down the front of the car from the hood. Of course you can see it under there from the front, but very low profile wouldn't know what you're looking at unless you know it's there.

Install allows you to get the holes lined up and then make minor adjustments so all fits under the airdam.

Still not legal. Might as well leave it off, the entire plate has to be in clear view. I specifically asked the dealer to leave mine off, which they weren't supposed to do, but they obliged. Haven't been bothered by not having one yet. (knock on wood)

TxNessie84
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I have the same bracket: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=109807&postcount=15

I took a lot of pics and put them in the post linked above. hen retracted it is not noticeable at all. When it is out you can see the whole plate and it is in clear view. I just got tired of getting pulled over for it and didn't want to drill the holes for the stock bracket through the front of the bumper. I leave mine up almost all the time.

Larry GT
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
If ever "pressed" by the local gerndarmes, I have my front plate in one of the garage cabinets just in case. I bone-headed approach is to simply stick into the lower left-hand corner of the inside windshield, on the dash somehow.
Until then...I try to keep the front as clean as possible, though do sympathize with others who must conform to local ordinances.

edmanet
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Still not legal. Might as well leave it off, the entire plate has to be in clear view. I specifically asked the dealer to leave mine off, which they weren't supposed to do, but they obliged. Haven't been bothered by not having one yet. (knock on wood)

I'm still knocking on wood also.......

Night Train
08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
I live in California where it is required to have a front license plate. A lot of folks drive without a front license plate. I have one on because the CHP looks for that. While it looks best without the front license plate, it doesn't look bad with the stock set up.

I have thought of removing mine until I get busted. Does anyone have ideas of blocking the holes left by the removed front holder?

2 GTOs
08-29-2009, 03:03 AM
There is a mod posted somewhere where you take the factory bracket, turn it upside down, trim it, them mount it lower on the front fascia.

Not as clean as not having a plate, but I think it looks nicer than stock and makes you feel like the didn't completely give in to the "the man"

shaunfin24
08-29-2009, 01:11 PM
i see the hide away plate getting ripped off when parking to close to a curb or something in the road ripping it off just a thought

xfactor
08-30-2009, 11:01 AM
2 GTOs just mentioned what I was thinking about and researching. From what I can tell you get 2ea. 2"x2" L angles mount them to the 2 center screws on the lower rubber dam. Take the factor GXP bracket, flip it upside down. Mount the bracket to the L angles. Trim bracket to match curvature of the car. Mount a rubber stop on the center mounting hole in the bracket, add a piece of black vinyl to the center support so that the rubber stop is not wearing on it. Mount the license plate and you are done with no damage to the car! Just a theory, soon to be a mod for me when I find the right 2"x2" L angles.