View Full Version : Roto-fab / hsrk install

WARLOCK
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3334.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3338.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3336.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3337.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv250/BFYTW/CIMG3339.jpg

OK, First I had planned on waiting on this Thursday to install all this stuff and a canned Intense tune after I got a base Dyno pull, but considering it took me 2.5 hours to install all this I am glad I went ahead and installed this air intake to make sure everything worked right. Honestly I am a freak about details so I took my time and I had to drill and install the HSRK and that took time also. Regardless I would have to pay for two hours of dyno time to get a basline pull then install this CAI and tune, then get another pull or two.. so I think Thursday I will be getting a base pull with this CAI installed then just download my intense canned tune. Now down to the review..
A little background.. I am 35 years old and have owned about 20 different vehicles and I dont ever remember driving ANYTHING stock. lowrider trucks, imports with stupid wings, raised Z71's, you name it I have owned it. That being said, you can say I have installed a few parts and a few CAI's.
THAT SAID, The Roto-Fab DOES have awesome instructions. Its also pretty well made, I would rate it about mid pack as far as install. its not super easy but it does not take brain surgery to install.
As far as everyone saying it has the most factory look, sorry I don't know where you get that shit from.. nothing about that huge air filter sticking out looks stock to me. If you want stock look I say go volant with the lid.
You can see from the photos I installed my HSRK in the side of the plastic stack just in front of the MAF like Charlie indicated, I used a step bit and made a tight fit only needing the sensor and a little silicon to hold it in place, I then trimmmed a little of the boot to ensure a solid fit of the MAF. No problems there, its a plug and play affair.
All and all everything fit perfect and gave me no fits, I also installed a 160 thermostsat as well which was so simple a child can do it. I buttoned everything up then topped off the coolant.
Next I removed the drivers side lower valance as shown elswhere on this forum, and performed surgery on the end of it to flow cold air into the area just below the CAI snout.
In the end it was not a bad few hours, everything went fine with no snags so what was the end results?
Well i finished up about midnight last night so i closed up shop and decided to do the "seat of the pants" road test this morning.
This morning the car fired right up and to my surprise in the first 2 minutes of idling i noticed the first effects of my mods! I was met with a big fat SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT.... YYAAAAHHH! fun... sigh.. ok, so I decide screw it lets take a ride.. so then I was met with my next surprise. At WOT the car actually sounds like its got some balls. alittle loud but its quiet at cruise... if i could get an exhaust like that that didn't cost 1500 dollars i would buy it.
Whats that? What about the power? yeah.. right whatever. This intake is just like every other CAI I have ever installed. anyone that says they can FEEL the difference is full of shit. If anything, I think my damn car might be slower. The fact is the difference is in the tune. That I believe is true. that 5-8 hp from that airfilter you ain't gonna feel, that tune with shift point adjustments etc... yeah THAT your going to feel. whatever.
I can feel the :flame: coming so say whatever you like. Its just my opinion on it, but before u start torching me plenty of you will argue that even if there is no gain in the CAI alone its benifits become apparent when you add headers, cam, etc. well sure I will go with that.. problem is, I only plan on this and the programmer... Thats it Im done. So for THREE HUNDRED dollars and change I can say that this is the highest priced CAI I have ever done making it about the most money I have ever spent for the LEAST gain.
bottom line these CAI for this car are too damn exspensive for what your getting.. all of them. short of maybe the JETT.
ANYWAY this coming Thursday i will be going to the dyno for hard numbers, and at that time I will at least be able to tell you how well the INTENSE canned tune works for this car/intake combo. As far as just the intake goes whatever, for 300+ bucks if you wanna make yourself beleive this thing is making your car really cook then do it. At least in your brain u will feel your getting your moneys worth.. Im not feeling it. that being said its on my car, it sounds good, I will leave it. will post dyno results for you guys after thursday.

StandFast85
07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Ha! The joke is on you buddy! I beat a Ferrari the other day with just my Roto-Fab!

:lies:

GRRRR8
07-04-2009, 06:01 AM
With a Vector ecm/tcm tune, Roto-Fab and my mods for it, and a MagnaFlow cat-back I ran 12.70 on the 19s.

If you cant feel it, its in your tune or needs to be tuned.

'02 ws6
07-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Either you really need a tune or a new ass, cuz I could definitely feel mine! :)
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

bobyoung
07-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I did mine exactly like yours except I never opened anything up for cold air (may look into that though) but was tuned right before installation of the CAI so can't comment on how much difference the actual Roto fab made but I will say one thing, if your service Engine light came on I would suspect something is wrong, you may have a leak or something as I never experienced any service lights after I did mine. I had the CAI and tune done before I installed the HSRK and the whole thing came together after I installed the HSRK. Everything all together altogether made a big difference.

WARLOCK
07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I opened up the hood and rechecked everything closely. Nothing, so I took it for a spin. not 5 miles down the road the service light went out and it has not come on again. I have the tune file on my laptop and just recieved my beta upgrade for it today. I said in my original post I think the difference is in the tune, and I still believe that. I am going to run the program tomorrow on the car, but regardless this coming Thursday i will have a dyno sheet with and without the program. I still dont know why the service light unless the hptuners file overrides something to do with the 160 t stat. or somethin.. I dunno, I will plug it up tommorow and read it. put about 150 miles on car today, still dont think it made a difference.

StandFast85
07-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Call me crazy but I noticed a difference when I installed my Roto-Fab.

bobyoung
07-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Ha! The joke is on you buddy! I beat a Ferrari the other day with just my Roto-Fab!

:lies:

Where'd you put the seat?

Ephesians1_4
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
any updates?

WARLOCK
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
YEAH. the car did 285rwhp with the rotofab and no tune. it did 313rwhp with the tune added. again i say 4,5, maybe 8 hp for the rotofab alone im guessing. doesnt sound like great gains to me for a $300+ product... but its on it stays. done.

TexasG8
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Stock I ran a 14.1.
With the Roto-fab, hsrk, VMS 93 tune and Magna flow cat back I ran a 13.4 and yes i could feel and hear the difference.

WARLOCK
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
YEAH. you put a TUNE in the car with a roto AND a cat back. tell ya what. take everything off your car EXCEPT the roto. thats it.. go make a pass. better yet put it back completely stock get a dyno pull then put JUST the roto on. get another pull. SHOW me the gains. i wanna see it. cause i think your all missing the point. thats a $300+ mod. The return on investment is small. thats my point.

TexasG8
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
If you put LT headers on without a tune you will not get as much HP out of that as if you had a tune for the headers. You need to retune the A/f since you are pulling more air into the motor. Tell you what dyno the car with the stock exhaust then put the magna flow cat back on and go dyno the car again. I bet you get more HP out of the car with the Roto fab than you will with a $600 catback. Now that is money not well sent.

ULTRA Z
09-22-2009, 06:52 AM
i can't find the HSRK now that i have the money i found it a month or 2 ago but didn't have the money help me out were can i get one

kje141
09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
i can't find the HSRK now that i have the money i found it a month or 2 ago but didn't have the money help me out were can i get one

http://www.vectormotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=41&Itemid=28 (http://www.vectormotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=41&Itemid=28)

minytrker
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
I installed a rotofab and didnt feel any difference seat of the pants, also made only 2 or 3 more hp vs stock. I swapped to a vararam and could actually feel a difference right away. I haveen had a chance to dyno the vararam.

ULTRA Z
09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks :) i would switch to the vararam but done bought the roto fab and after the magna 2300 its not gonna matter :) oh i can't wait :)

WARLOCK
09-22-2009, 07:22 PM
If you put LT headers on without a tune you will not get as much HP out of that as if you had a tune for the headers. You need to retune the A/f since you are pulling more air into the motor. Tell you what dyno the car with the stock exhaust then put the magna flow cat back on and go dyno the car again. I bet you get more HP out of the car with the Roto fab than you will with a $600 catback. Now that is money not well sent.
UMMM. yeah... my car has the factory exhaust so not really sure who your talking to.. yourself? let me know what u find out, because if it dynos more with the factory exhaust than a cat back make sure you document it and please let me know which cat back your using. certainly dont want to waste MORE of my money on useless products. OH and FYI I agree u will get more out of headers with a tune but most long tube's for our car are dyno'ing 30-40hp increases without a tune, probably due to how stinking rich these cars are running from the factory. however ridiculous the price is for LT's the improvement with them as at least tolorable.

TexasG8
09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
No dyno #'s but when I had my Roto fab, tune, and Magna flow catback I ran a 13.4. I sold my magna flow cat back and put the stock exhaust back on and went back to the track and ran a 13.4 again. I was just stating that stock I ran a 14.1 and with just the tune and Roto fab I drop that down to a 13.4. Yes the LT headers are alot of money but we do not have alot to choose from for our G8's. Yes the LT headers will give you a 30-40whp gain without a tune but people are getting 10-20whp more with a tune.