PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I wanted to see everyones plans for the future or what you have done with your suspensions.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I will eventually get some of the gold plated bushings. Nothing else is available to assist with launch. I definitely will NOT lower it, too many speed bumps and such here plus don't care for the look.

G8V8
09-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Did it all.

The right bushings will help launch. Rear x-member, diff bushings.

I don't know the total effect but if i understand correctly at least part of the toe numbers used in an alignment are to compensate for bushing deflection. With Pedders bushings on various arms and rods, etc, the alignment toe targets are basically 0. Like 0.01* because the bushings don't deflect like stock.

I think I've read Charlie talk about aligning for the track. I assume that is to get the rear wheels flat and to minimize drag from toe settings. is that right. Would firmer bushings, like in radius rod, help track times?

Some people don't know that Pedders makes 90/10 struts and I think 10/90 shocks for drag racers.

SRG963
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
to be fair to the vote, I won't be modding till my next vehicle in 2 years. Camaro or GXP Coupe, I will most likely install many Pedders components if not all.

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Did it all.

The right bushings will help launch. Rear x-member, diff bushings.

I don't know the total effect but if i understand correctly at least part of the toe numbers used in an alignment are to compensate for bushing deflection. With Pedders bushings on various arms and rods, etc, the alignment toe targets are basically 0. Like 0.01* because the bushings don't deflect like stock.

I think I've read Charlie talk about aligning for the track. I assume that is to get the rear wheels flat and to minimize drag from toe settings. is that right. Would firmer bushings, like in radius rod, help track times?

Some people don't know that Pedders makes 90/10 struts and I think 10/90 shocks for drag racers.

Any bushing deflection on hard acceleration can result in loss of ET due to tires toeing in or out or even in some cases fighting caster/camber issues can result in traction loss. I need to find out about the struts though. Since this is the typical route I take anyways, as long as I have 4 assemblies I can swap them fast.

00 Trans Ram
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
D) None of the above?

I'm not going to spend the amounts of money right now to mod things, only to have prices drop drastically in the next year. When the Camaro comes out, and when G8s have been around a while, I expect other companies to enter the market, thereby driving prices to the point of affordability. I also expect to have alternatives that suit my needs better (adjustable shocks, linear-rate springs, height adjustable collards, etc.).

Not saying I wouldn't do exactly what Pedders is doing - when you have the only products, you get to choose what you charge.

Chewy
09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Not having driven the car this is pure speculation of course...:wacko:

I would like to get some pedders stuff installed but VERY basic stuff. I would like to have their X member bushings for sure and would love to get their sway bars if you can use them on a stock suspended car.

We'll see though. Fact is that this car handles about twice as well stock as any car I have previously owned.

I also agree with TA! Monopoly is fun to play and Pedders is playing it well right now. lol

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
<entering dinosaur mode> I have to admit I kinda miss the days when a $30 set of Lakewood slapper bars and 10 minutes with a 9/16 wrench could greatly improve traction.... Now I'll need $1000 bucks and have to travel 400 miles to get the same or less improvement.

Joe Weinstein
09-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I understand about dinosaur mode, but then it was going from
laughably bad to better-enough-for-a-stop-light-fight. Now it's
going from safe-and-better-than-most-race-cars-from-dinosaur-days
to even-safer-and-more-better-than-most-race-cars-from dinosaur-days.
;)

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I dunno, I agree on the safe part, suspensions are clearly better now than then but not sure on the traction part. Mine will smoke all the way through first and into second on some surfaces. I can break the tires loose from a 10 mph roll.....

Traction is something I deeply need.

GeorgeInNePa
09-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I dunno, I agree on the safe part, suspensions are clearly better now than then but not sure on the traction part. Mine will smoke all the way through first and into second on some surfaces. I can break the tires loose from a 10 mph roll.....

Traction is something I deeply need.

Fun, ain't it? ;)

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Fun, ain't it? ;)

Yea, it is. A little too much fun maybe. I actually started to go sideways when I hit second once yesterday; had to back out.

GeorgeInNePa
09-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Yea, it is. A little too much fun maybe. I actually started to go sideways when I hit second once yesterday; had to back out.

Check out my 0-60 thread, I think I've figured out the launch technique for street tires.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Check out my 0-60 thread, I think I've figured out the launch technique for street tires.

I saw it. As soon as I get my miss figured out I'll be trying it.

JDP G8GT
09-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I would like to add the Pedders Track 2 package with NO DROP offered by pedders usa because, as I'm sure Charlie will agree with, TXDOT our public roads committee is far from the sharpest tools in the shed and, in the cities at least, there are too many uneven surfaces and steep drives...

G8V8
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Any bushing deflection on hard acceleration can result in loss of ET due to tires toeing in or out or even in some cases fighting caster/camber issues can result in traction loss. I need to find out about the struts though. Since this is the typical route I take anyways, as long as I have 4 assemblies I can swap them fast.

Talk with Frank. He had them a year before anybody else.

locrzn#92
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I've just finished the eibach pro kit. All the gm hardware was fine including the bushings. I'm probably the only one so far with the kit. I had already placed an order with the tirerack thru my big "o" tire and wheel where I'm one of the managers. I love the feel of the car now. I hope this will help my launches when I get to the track Oct 3rd. I plan of doing a simular lower intake mod like Charlie did. I may change mine so its not open all the time, just at the track. I hope to get it into the 1360's and low to mid 2.0's in the 60'.

G8GTlawride
09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Will leave it stock. It is low enough as has been menitoned. Besides when I wash it I like to clean the wheel wells and can barely fit my fat hands around the tires!

Justice Pete
10-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Wheels and tires will help reduce the smoke issues. Safety has vastly imporved ove the years from the strength of the monocoque to the geometry of the suspension to tire technology. We are driving amazing vehicles.

As for our prices, we have lowered the damper prices becuase they can be done in larger batches on a reasonably automated assembly line. Our coils are works of art sold as springs. Each coils in fully scrogged (compressed) to permanently set height. Each coil is load cell verified to be with a 2mm tolerance of our specified loaded ride height. Any other company would sell thees coils as a race matched set. To Pedders it is the only way to make a coil. Our bushes are unique as well. We design them for handling and ride comfort. We use a proprietary blend of urethane and have for many years. We recently changed the formulation to meet the needs of platforms like the Chrysler LX, ZETA and ZETA II. There is a reason that GM Racing selected Pedders for the GS Camaro built by Riley Tech and Racing in the grand Am Challenge Series. Our street parts past every measure and test at GM Racing. These $130,000 Race Cars will be racing on Pedders STREET Parts.

Pedders is the only aftermarket suspension company that does not exclude racing from warranty. There must be a reason.