07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Brand: The Tuning School Learn at Home Course- Beginners
Price: $449
Purchased From: http://thetuningschool.com/

Quality: Excellent
Product Performance: Excellent
Would you Recommend to Others: Definitely yes

Any Other Comments:

So, a couple weeks ago I got laid off. Almost a relief really, I was over the job and most of the people. It was time to do something new. A fortunate side effect was that this gave me time to focus on something I've wanted to do for a long time- learn to tune my own car.

My car has been tuned by some of the best tuners in the country. I've always marveled at the way these guys knew just what to change to make the car do something different. Both of them have tons of what I considered to be arcane knowledge and experience and I could have been satisfied several times but I just wanted, even needed, to be able to adjust things myself. I like to race my car occasionally and conditions at the track change so fast and make such a huge difference that I felt this was something I just had to be able to do.

Some of you already know I bought HPTuners VCM Suite software a while back with this goal in mind. My original plan had been to read books and use the HPTuners forums to figure out how to do trans tweaks and other little stuff. When I started looking at it though I was a bit overwhelmed by the complexity. Most of the few tuning books focused on theory rather than how-to and were not software or vehicle manufacturer specific. I found one decent book, but even that left me shaking my head more than a bit. While the purpose of some things was fairly obvious, I just didn't have the confidence to start actually making changes. I just didn't feel like I understood how everything fit together to make a real performance tune. A phone call with a friend one evening at the track convinced me that what I really needed was someone to teach me how to do this. Enter The Tuning School ( http://www.thetuningschool.com/ ).

I first became aware of the Tuning School a few months ago when I was shopping for the HPTuners stuff. They're run by PM-FL's chief tuner Bob Morreale. I considered signing up for it when I bought my HPTuners but wanted to give the book and forum route a shot first. Once I tried, and failed, at that I decided the time was right to give the school a try.

The Tuning School offers beginners and advanced courses. Courses are offered in either a learn at home format or in live seminars conducted around the country. The live courses are a bit more expensive than the learn at home and you might have to travel to attend one. I chose the learn at home version. Of course I also chose the beginners version.

Ordering was easy, I called PM-FL, an authorized reseller, and talked to Rich but you can also order online at the web site. There are lots of package deals available. If you don't already have HPTuners (you'll want the Pro version) and a wideband I suggest you look into a package and save some money; none of this stuff is cheap. If none of the packages fit your needs and budget, give them a shout and let them know your needs, bet they work something out for you.

My stuff arrived within days. Material was nicely boxed and included a 14 page Quick Start guide (basically how to set up HPTuners), the main 218 page book, a 42 page MAF and VE Tuning supplement, a CD, and a stack of laminated quick reference charts.

The meat of the course is the book. It's spiral bound (which is the way a "working book" should be so you can lay it down without losing your page), printed on nice paper and chock full of color charts and screenshots from the tables you'll be working with in HPTuners VCM Editor. The book is based on the current version (VCM Suite 2.22). The actual tuning info is broken down in 3 main sections: Bolt-ons and Minor Mods, Heads, Cam and Supporting Mods, and Forced Induction (incl Supercharged, Turbocharged, and Nitrous) and Supporting Mods. Each section walks you through a full tune of that type of car, engine and transmission. There is some redundancy because of this but that's good, you don't have to jump back to another section, just ride the one you're working on and all the tables needed are explained!

You'll also find a section on how to set up and use VCM Scanner, HPTuners' logging software. Again, full of color screenshots from the actual software you'll be using. On the CD you'll find a ready-made scanner configuration file (and lots of other stuff too) which you can use as a starting point to build your own custom configuration file.

The format of the learn at home version is more like a guide than what you might think of as a "class". There are no assignments to turn in or grades given. You work at your own pace and can skip around as you see fit. Obviously the live seminars are in more of a classroom format. The thing that makes this an actual course rather than just a book is the support. You have phone and email access to Bob Morreale and Ian Thomson, both experienced and excellent tuners. These guys know their stuff and are willing to spend time explaining things until you know it too! I've spent time talking with both of them and their knowledge and willingness to share it really shines through. The phone support is nothing short of fantastic! There is also a private support forum but it's not as fast as the direct support. I'm told they are working to get the forum more active.

So far none of this has been G8 specific. It applies to pretty much all modern GM vehicles although the focus is on LS motors. I've already done a transmission tune on my wife's Acadia (not an LS) so much of the info crosses over to non-LS GM vehicles. There is some specificity though; about a week after I started they released an A-6 Trans Tuning Supplement. I was privileged to get a sneak peak at a draft version and I can tell you that it's the absolute cat's ass! In about a half hour I was able to get my trans tune extremely close to perfect, and understand how I was doing it! It's a complete step-by-step how-to on tuning our transmissions. As I understand it the A-6 Supplement is also going to be released as a stand-alone product for an extremely reasonable price. This thing goes way into detail and gives you real-world numbers which will definitely make your car shift better. Even if you've been tuning for years you'll want this supplement.

So, will this course teach you to tune like the Masters? Nope, only experience can do that. What it will do is get you to the point where you can tune cars and start gaining that experience. I'm really just getting started but I feel this has been well worth the money already. I've learned far more in the couple weeks I've had this than in the months of studying books and forums that I put in before I went this route. I heartily recommend The Tuning School!

Here's some links to sample pages:

http://www.thetuningschool.com/page9.pdf
http://www.thetuningschool.com/page37.pdf
http://www.thetuningschool.com/page187.pdf

norm8332
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice Write up..Might be something I would be interested it. I'll have to take a look.

GRRRR8
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Very nice Tom! Glad to see you getting through the learning curve.

wreckwriter
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I wasn't going to get it on my own. This was just what I needed to put it all in order in a way I could understand. Anything I don't get, I call Bob or Ian and they explain it to me. I'm very glad I went this route.

majesticix
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Excellent write up. If I wasn't married with a 1 year old, I might venture to try this out. Until then I'll be employing the help of the pros. Just by reading page 37, I can see how effective this book will be. Good luck with the tuning!

G8Smitty
07-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Excellent information. I feel like I am where you were. I've read quite a few of the how-to's and theories, but I do not get it. Your page 37 link is written to the style that makes it much easier for me to understand.

I haven't purchased HPTuners yet because I want to make sure that I am not wasting my money purchasing something I do not understand. It sounds like the price tag is really much higher than I was figuring to really do it properly. For me, I'll need the wideband version og HPTuners, plus the wideband O2, bung welded on and the school. I suppose that is around $1500. :(

more waiting...

99-LS1-SS
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Great write up Tom!

99-LS1-SS
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Tom, if my wife kills me I'm leaving a note somewhere that it is your fault! I just took the plunge. I bought the Pro software, the wideband and HPTuners. Damn I hope I'm able to understand this.

wreckwriter
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Tom, if my wife kills me I'm leaving a note somewhere that it is your fault! I just took the plunge. I bought the Pro software, the wideband and HPTuners. Damn I hope I'm able to understand this.

You will be. If not Bob and Ian will work with you until you do.

99-LS1-SS
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. I hope you guys are ready for some questions when this starts to happen.

wreckwriter
07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. I hope you guys are ready for some questions when this starts to happen.

I was the same way, I'm still wearing them out with questions :)

-Ray-
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow, great review and write up Tom.

wreckwriter
07-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, great review and write up Tom.

Thanks Ray. It's a really cool product, it's done a lot for me already.

Rich@pm-fl.com
07-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Great review Tom, thanks!

Vertical
07-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Grrrr8 review!

99-LS1-SS
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Any updates on your tunning Tom?

I was at the beach last week and my wife ran my phone through the dishwasher so I didn't find out that there was a credit card issue until just recently. I hope to have mine setup within a few days.

wreckwriter
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm waiting to test some trans tweaks. Once I get the trans perfect I'll start getting more serious about the engine stuff. I think my engine tune is pretty solid so will just be doing it to learn.

PerfectD3
07-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Did they give you the G8 specific supplement yet? Any review on it?

99-LS1-SS
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I just called Ian and they are waiting on a few things to ship mine. They think I'll have it in a little over a week. I don't have a laptop yet so I'm fine with that. Once I get it I'll play with it and give my input.

wreckwriter
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Did they give you the G8 specific supplement yet? Any review on it?

Sorry, I missed this. What I got was not a G8 supplement but an A^ trans tuning supplement. I don't know if there is something else coming for G8s or not.

As for the trans tuning supplement, honestly it's worth the cost of the whole course. It covers tuning our trans from top to bottom and it works. Very good stuff.

Its my understanding that the trans supplement may be offered by itself for a very reasonable price soon.

99-LS1-SS
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Do you think the trans tune/supplement will work for the 4L60E 4 speed autos?

wreckwriter
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Do you think the trans tune/supplement will work for the 4L60E 4 speed autos?

That one is covered in the main body of the course.

TomPierce
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Its my understanding that the trans supplement may be offered by itself for a very reasonable price soon.

Tom,

If you find out anything more about this please let us (me!) know - I am very interested in this. Like you, I want to get the trans perfect before I start on the engine.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

wreckwriter
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Tom,

If you find out anything more about this please let us (me!) know - I am very interested in this. Like you, I want to get the trans perfect before I start on the engine.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom, PM Rich@PM-FL, he may know when it will be released. I know its happening, just not when.

SpeedRacerX
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Good luck Tom, this is great. I'd love to be able to learn how to tune these modern LSx engines...I wish you the best.

Randy

'02 ws6
07-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd love to be able to delve into this. Ever since I first saw its offering I've wanted it, and thought I could make some extra dough on the side tuning all the local cars we have here with sub-par (unnamed shop) dyno tunes.. Good luck with it, you two lucky bastards you (Tom and Brandon)! :)

wreckwriter
07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
I'd love to be able to delve into this. Ever since I first saw its offering I've wanted it, and thought I could make some extra dough on the side tuning all the local cars we have here with sub-par (unnamed shop) dyno tunes.. Good luck with it, you two lucky bastards you (Tom and Brandon)! :)

Similar situation here, not many tuners around.........

Rich@pm-fl.com
07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
We will have the A6 Supplement available shortly. As soon as it is available, I will let you guys know.

Thanks!

Rich@pm-fl.com
08-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Hey guys, just a heads up. We are finished with the A6 supplement. We will have them available to ship next week. I will have it added to the website shortly.

wreckwriter
08-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, just a heads up. We are finished with the A6 supplement. We will have them available to ship next week. I will have it added to the website shortly.

Can you ask Bob to send me a copy of the finished version please? I have the draft still.

Any word on the advanced?

99-LS1-SS
08-27-2009, 07:06 AM
I asked Ian for a copy yesterday. I indicated that he was one of the main writers of the A6 supplement. Hopefully, I'll get mine soon.
On another semi-related note. I have to give Ian a LOT of praise! He is very patient and has answered close to 40 million questions from me. He has, single handedly, made this a MUCH better experience than it would have been if I had to rely on the HP Tuners boards only.

wreckwriter
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I asked Ian for a copy yesterday. I indicated that he was one of the main writers of the A6 supplement. Hopefully, I'll get mine soon.
On another semi-related note. I have to give Ian a LOT of praise! He is very patient and has answered close to 40 million questions from me. He has, single handedly, made this a MUCH better experience than it would have been if I had to rely on the HP Tuners boards only.

Yea, I agree, Ian is great.

Rich@pm-fl.com
08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Can you ask Bob to send me a copy of the finished version please? I have the draft still.

Any word on the advanced?

Will do.

I will let Ian know, we appreciate the kind words.

TomPierce
09-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Hey guys, just a heads up. We are finished with the A6 supplement. We will have them available to ship next week.

OK, so it's been a week.

I will have it added to the website shortly.

That's 'shortly -- as sometime later this week' or 'shortly -- as sometime later this century'?

I have this whole fistful of money just waiting for you...

wreckwriter
09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
You all are going to be amazed at the things you'll pick up with this supplement. Glitchy trans tunes will be a thing of the past.

99-LS1-SS
09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Just sent Ian an email asking him to send me the A6 supplemental. Hopefully it's finished.

wreckwriter
09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice writeup!

Anyone see anything that would help cure a slow 3-4 shift? :)

Sure but what do you mean by "slow"? Shift itself is slow or doesn't shift at the RPM/speed you want it to? Got a copy of your tune you can post or email?

wreckwriter
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Without seeing the tune I couldn't even guess. I will say that if your tuner follows the methods in the Tuning School A6 manual it will almost certainly be fixed. My shifts are pretty much perfect now.

Mlozano
09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Just something a few of us are having a problem with out here. I think all three of us have different tunes/tuners with the same problem.

A slow 3-4 shift at the track under WOT, almost like it hangs for a half second or so then shifts but all the other gears are snappy if not instantaneous.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy.

Check for adjustments to the shift times and shift pressure, both should be increased, most tuners only change the shift time.

Rich@pm-fl.com
09-14-2009, 10:49 AM
OK, so it's been a week.

That's 'shortly -- as sometime later this week' or 'shortly -- as sometime later this century'?

I have this whole fistful of money just waiting for you...

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay, but we are finally ready to release the A6 Tuning Guide.

You can place the order here...

http://www.pm-fl.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=584_589_668&products_id=910&osCsid=85656181a13c6cf0ed1c4ff98953e724

Thanks!

TomPierce
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Rich.

Ordered :)

wnt2gofst
10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
nice write up. But i think i still nee dteh help of a pro for my tuning. although makes me want to start learning more about being able to tune my owne car instead of having to take bakc to the shop every time.

Rich@pm-fl.com
10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
nice write up. But i think i still nee dteh help of a pro for my tuning. although makes me want to start learning more about being able to tune my owne car instead of having to take bakc to the shop every time.

With the purchase of the course, you get a year of free support from the pro's. So any issue that you might run into, just pick up the phone, and we will work through it with you.

Mike P
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a really good write up by Tom......... I've got some extra time on my hands, I might be going this route.....

http://www.thetuningschool.com/

Brand: The Tuning School Learn at Home Course- Beginners
Price: $449
Purchased From: http://thetuningschool.com/

Quality: Excellent
Product Performance: Excellent
Would you Recommend to Others: Definitely yes

Any Other Comments:

So, a couple weeks ago I got laid off. Almost a relief really, I was over the job and most of the people. It was time to do something new. A fortunate side effect was that this gave me time to focus on something I've wanted to do for a long time- learn to tune my own car.

My car has been tuned by some of the best tuners in the country. I've always marveled at the way these guys knew just what to change to make the car do something different. Both of them have tons of what I considered to be arcane knowledge and experience and I could have been satisfied several times but I just wanted, even needed, to be able to adjust things myself. I like to race my car occasionally and conditions at the track change so fast and make such a huge difference that I felt this was something I just had to be able to do.

Some of you already know I bought HPTuners VCM Suite software a while back with this goal in mind. My original plan had been to read books and use the HPTuners forums to figure out how to do trans tweaks and other little stuff. When I started looking at it though I was a bit overwhelmed by the complexity. Most of the few tuning books focused on theory rather than how-to and were not software or vehicle manufacturer specific. I found one decent book, but even that left me shaking my head more than a bit. While the purpose of some things was fairly obvious, I just didn't have the confidence to start actually making changes. I just didn't feel like I understood how everything fit together to make a real performance tune. A phone call with a friend one evening at the track convinced me that what I really needed was someone to teach me how to do this. Enter The Tuning School ( http://www.thetuningschool.com/ ).

I first became aware of the Tuning School a few months ago when I was shopping for the HPTuners stuff. They're run by PM-FL's chief tuner Bob Morreale. I considered signing up for it when I bought my HPTuners but wanted to give the book and forum route a shot first. Once I tried, and failed, at that I decided the time was right to give the school a try.

The Tuning School offers beginners and advanced courses. Courses are offered in either a learn at home format or in live seminars conducted around the country. The live courses are a bit more expensive than the learn at home and you might have to travel to attend one. I chose the learn at home version. Of course I also chose the beginners version.

Ordering was easy, I called PM-FL, an authorized reseller, and talked to Rich but you can also order online at the web site. There are lots of package deals available. If you don't already have HPTuners (you'll want the Pro version) and a wideband I suggest you look into a package and save some money; none of this stuff is cheap. If none of the packages fit your needs and budget, give them a shout and let them know your needs, bet they work something out for you.

My stuff arrived within days. Material was nicely boxed and included a 14 page Quick Start guide (basically how to set up HPTuners), the main 218 page book, a 42 page MAF and VE Tuning supplement, a CD, and a stack of laminated quick reference charts.

The meat of the course is the book. It's spiral bound (which is the way a "working book" should be so you can lay it down without losing your page), printed on nice paper and chock full of color charts and screenshots from the tables you'll be working with in HPTuners VCM Editor. The book is based on the current version (VCM Suite 2.22). The actual tuning info is broken down in 3 main sections: Bolt-ons and Minor Mods, Heads, Cam and Supporting Mods, and Forced Induction (incl Supercharged, Turbocharged, and Nitrous) and Supporting Mods. Each section walks you through a full tune of that type of car, engine and transmission. There is some redundancy because of this but that's good, you don't have to jump back to another section, just ride the one you're working on and all the tables needed are explained!

You'll also find a section on how to set up and use VCM Scanner, HPTuners' logging software. Again, full of color screenshots from the actual software you'll be using. On the CD you'll find a ready-made scanner configuration file (and lots of other stuff too) which you can use as a starting point to build your own custom configuration file.

The format of the learn at home version is more like a guide than what you might think of as a "class". There are no assignments to turn in or grades given. You work at your own pace and can skip around as you see fit. Obviously the live seminars are in more of a classroom format. The thing that makes this an actual course rather than just a book is the support. You have phone and email access to Bob Morreale and Ian Thomson, both experienced and excellent tuners. These guys know their stuff and are willing to spend time explaining things until you know it too! I've spent time talking with both of them and their knowledge and willingness to share it really shines through. The phone support is nothing short of fantastic! There is also a private support forum but it's not as fast as the direct support. I'm told they are working to get the forum more active.

So far none of this has been G8 specific. It applies to pretty much all modern GM vehicles although the focus is on LS motors. I've already done a transmission tune on my wife's Acadia (not an LS) so much of the info crosses over to non-LS GM vehicles. There is some specificity though; about a week after I started they released an A-6 Trans Tuning Supplement. I was privileged to get a sneak peak at a draft version and I can tell you that it's the absolute cat's ass! In about a half hour I was able to get my trans tune extremely close to perfect, and understand how I was doing it! It's a complete step-by-step how-to on tuning our transmissions. As I understand it the A-6 Supplement is also going to be released as a stand-alone product for an extremely reasonable price. This thing goes way into detail and gives you real-world numbers which will definitely make your car shift better. Even if you've been tuning for years you'll want this supplement.

So, will this course teach you to tune like the Masters? Nope, only experience can do that. What it will do is get you to the point where you can tune cars and start gaining that experience. I'm really just getting started but I feel this has been well worth the money already. I've learned far more in the couple weeks I've had this than in the months of studying books and forums that I put in before I went this route. I heartily recommend The Tuning School!

Here's some links to sample pages:

http://www.thetuningschool.com/page9.pdf
http://www.thetuningschool.com/page37.pdf
http://www.thetuningschool.com/page187.pdf

2 GTOs
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Just wondering how this has been working out. I am looking at HP Tuners, the tuning school, and the trans supplement. Seems like a whole lot of money. Just want to be sure it is worth it.

wreckwriter
07-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Just wondering how this has been working out. I am looking at HP Tuners, the tuning school, and the trans supplement. Seems like a whole lot of money. Just want to be sure it is worth it.

In my opinion it was well worth it. Doesn't take many professional tunes to make up the amount of money spent. Its all based on how much effort you put into learning it.

Mike P
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Tom:

What is a Bluecat tune? lol :)

wreckwriter
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
A guy in Kentucky that absolutely kicks ass. Bluecat is his screen name on various forums.

GeoffA
07-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm playing around with my HPT and have absolutely no idea what to do. I'll be looking into this in the near future...

Mike P
07-30-2010, 04:53 PM
A guy in Kentucky that absolutely kicks ass. Bluecat is his screen name on various forums.

Awesome! I could use one of those...... lol

I need to just get a new E38 PCM and start tuning.....

G8GT721
11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
started they released an A-6 Trans Tuning Supplement. I was privileged to get a sneak peak at a draft version and I can tell you that it's the absolute cat's ass! In about a half hour I was able to get my trans tune extremely close to perfect, and understand how I was doing it! It's a complete step-by-step how-to on tuning our transmissions. As I understand it the A-6 Supplement is also going to be released as a stand-alone product for an extremely reasonable price. This thing goes way into detail and gives you real-world numbers which will definitely make your car shift better. .

Does anyone else have an opinion on the A6 supplement, was it worth it? Im really just looking to start learning the trans tuning, and maybe engine stuff later on.

wreckwriter
11-19-2012, 07:51 AM
The A6 supplement from Tuning School is a good thing. Goes into good detail and includes pretty much everything you need to tune a trans. You might contact them and see when it was last revised as HPTuners is constantly updated with new parameters that can be tweaked.

1gr8ate
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
How much difference is there between the beginner and the advanced programs and would it be recommended to get the beginner first or I've been piddling with hpt for little more then a year now.

wreckwriter
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I dunno, never seen the advanced course.