PDA

View Full Version : makes sense to me. uaw to the rescue.

chroma7
06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
gm is owned by the us goverment us & ca #1, and the uaw #2.

i would ass-u-me the uaw holds no interest in making cars in australia.

gm stop producing the best car they have made in 25 years (imo) and it was made in australia while it sales have tripled from last year.

the new camaro seems to be an engineering ripoff of the Aussies and holden.

way to go us goverment and uaw! kill the good cars you cant design, take the design and build the camaro in canada. awesome!

ok im bitter. :poof:

R.Penguin
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

gm stop producing the best car they have made in 25 years (imo) and it was made in australia while it sales have tripled from last year.

way to go us goverment and uaw! kill the good cars you cant design, take the design and build the camaro in canada. awesome!

Go here: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8220 You'll feel better. :p

r33pwrd
06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Its all about sales numbers and Money not what a few owners think.

Panzer Leader
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Its all about sales numbers and Money not what a few owners think.

Ain't it the truth. Instead of really marketing the car and increasing those numbers, GM in true Harvard Case Study mode does the opposite. What is needed is a combined team of Canadians, Aussies, US and German GM reprsentatives coming together to continue the development of good/great cars. Everyone is a winner. Holden exports to the middle east and Southeast Asia, US/Canadian to those markets and the Europeans to Europe. All sharing in the latest technology and reduced transportation/logistics costs. Not to mention the reduced engineering/development costs. GM ends competion within its own organization and moves forward as a world class producer of cars. The stockholders are happy, the workers are happy, the management is happy, the government is happy, and most importantly millions of happy customers are happy. I can see it now, the old saying of,"Whats good for GM is good for America", is replaced with, "Whats good for GM is good for the World." "Mein Furhrer, I can walk," :stooges:

Slizzo
07-01-2009, 04:32 AM

Not exactly a ripoff. It's a shortened Zeta platform developed specifically for the Camaro by Holden. They knew what they were getting into with helping to design it.

And Oshawa was the only plant that COULD build the Camaro, as they hold the build rights to the name Camaro.

Seattle09GT
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Well I find this rather ironic in the careful what you fish for category. Last year as the hand writing on the wall the drooling Toyonda masses were basically saying, "its OK, Toyonda builds their cars here anyway so no big loss."

Toyota is seriously considering pulling the plug on NUMMI all together and moving Corolla production too...Canada. Why? Costs about $500 less per vehicle to build them there than in the United States.

I don't know what is going to happen to this country when we're a nation of accounts, brokers, IP developers and people going, "do you want fries with that."

r33pwrd
07-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know what is going to happen to this country when we're a nation of accounts, brokers, IP developers and people going, "do you want fries with that."

This country has been moving in that direction for MANY years. It is not a bad thing IMO (as long as im not the one flipping burgers) we are a consuming contry not a manufacuring country. The US manufacturing thing is all but dead.

johnh
07-02-2009, 01:59 PM
we are a consuming contry

Right up until the point the money runs out...then we become a third world country.

99-LS1-SS
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm bitter right there beside you! :spank::poof:

Seattle09GT
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
This country has been moving in that direction for MANY years. It is not a bad thing IMO (as long as im not the one flipping burgers) we are a consuming contry not a manufacuring country. The US manufacturing thing is all but dead.

Two issues:

1) As long as I'm not the one flipping the burgers. EXACTLY

2) What happens when the money/credit runs out. We already got a taste of that.

Finally, call me old school but I'm a firm believer that a strong manufacturing arm is needed for national security. If our electronics come from China along with raw processed metals, our combat avionics systems from Europe, and its too darn expensive to make here so it comes from everywhere else, what happens when we become TOO dependent on a global supply chain based on consumption and someone goes, "you know what, no more [fill in the blank] for you."

I get that we cannot and it would be silly to have a pre-World War II manufacturing capacity in this country. I GET IT. At the end of World War II 25% of the global GDP came from the United States. That is mind blowing. But in a few years 80% to 90% of US fighter aircraft will use a single engine made by a single manufacturer. That goes against every darn principal of national defense in the name of streamlining and saving pennies. Take out that manufacturer, take out our ability to supply parts and our air force grinds to a halt.

If we lose our manufacturing base, we are screwed. We can't just endlessly consume while producing -- nothing. History has shown over and over and over and over again what happens to nations that do just that.

tacwhoc
07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
we need another RONALD REAGAN!!!!!!!

Seattle09GT
07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
we need another RONALD REAGAN!!!!!!!

The banking deregulation that Reagan started and Greenspan drove is a huge part of the reason we have the problems we have today.

Before you tar and feather me as a looney liberal, I hold Reagan up very highly as one of our greatest Presidents, and I once thought Greenspan was an economic genius. Reagan was still great, and history will do little to tarnish his legacy. But the fed policy under Greenspan has been our undoing, and history will not look well upon his policies. And be mindful that the deregulation Reagan put to ink, the Democratic Congress helped push - so once again this is a NON-PARTISAN or BI-PARTISAN issue if you will for me.

The biggest problem the GOP has is there is no Reagan. Bobby Jindal? That rebuttal he gave sound like he was reading out of a children's book, it was HORRIBLE (but he can recover from that). Lets face it Mark Sanford is a politically ruined hypocrite. Sarah Palin? Seriously??? I wouldn't want her running my town's dog catcher office, frankly I'm amazed that Alaska hasn't fallen into the Ocean under her, *gag*, leadership. Jon M. Huntsman Jr. is probably the strongest, but has cush gig now in China. Newt? I like how Newt has mellowed but for the three brilliant things that come out of his mouth one incredibly stupid or scary thing jumps out. McCain, I believed he would have made a GREAT President, but picking Palin makes me question his judgment and lets face it, come 2012/13 he will be too old. So who is left? Seriously? They got nothing.

It sucks. I hate "one party rule," and I don't care which party it is. It sucks. They both end up spending like drunken sailors and pushing an extreme agenda. Been independent myself, have never done a straight ticket vote, I've voted for a number of political parties in my life.

I could never be a Democrat. I like to spend my own money.

I could never be a Republican. I like to spend my own money on hookers and beer.

-Ray-
07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
No more political posts.

R.Penguin
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
"The US manufacturing thing is all but dead."

I'm glad you put that "all but" in there bro.:p

My little piss-ant company has a 100% manufacturing base for customers. They buy my product for roughly $15,000 to $120,000 ea. We had a record year in 2008 & this year has been OK too so far.

I will say, however, that my target market is the 2nd & 3rd tier and lower. Kinda like 'people' that make things for people that make things for Boeing, Intel, etc.

US manufacturing has a whole shitload of layers. ie:, for every Boeing employee there are about 12,000 other people that reside in the tier layers. What happens when Boeing and Intel are gone?? Me and another shitload of people start to get nervous. Right now, business is good! :p

The IRS is sure trying hard to eliminate the small business companies. Yep, the ones that are the lifeblood of America. (The dirty f*ckers!) Oh God, how I hate the IRS. :p
. :finger:

:finger:

:finger:

.................................................. :finger: