PDA

View Full Version : APS Parts

Ktlplxm
06-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Are there any vendors on here who actually still have a working relationship with APS? I know they stopped producing their G8 kits, supposedly due to the US economy (although its almost identical to the VE kit which is stillin full swing). My question is can replacement parts or individual pieces of the kit be purchased still? I was never to fond of some of their kits anyway but I am interested in the manifold extension piece for the Turbo and wastegate. Is this possible? I cannot use the smaller turbos in the kit, disliked the oiling system, and would have to build my own intercooler anyway, so the lack of a "kit" is not an issue. Any help?

GeorgeInNePa
06-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Are there any vendors on here who actually still have a working relationship with APS? I know they stopped producing their G8 kits, supposedly due to the US economy (although its almost identical to the VE kit which is stillin full swing). My question is can replacement parts or individual pieces of the kit be purchased still? I was never to fond of some of their kits anyway but I am interested in the manifold extension piece for the Turbo and wastegate. Is this possible? I cannot use the smaller turbos in the kit, disliked the oiling system, and would have to build my own intercooler anyway, so the lack of a "kit" is not an issue. Any help?

Have you tried contacting APS directly?

'02 ws6
06-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought it wasn't just the US economy, but Australia's as well, and they weren't producing the kits anymore, anywhere.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

R.Penguin
06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought it wasn't just the US economy, but Australia's as well, and they weren't producing the kits anymore, anywhere.
WTF? :rofl:

Ktlplxm
06-29-2009, 05:35 AM
I have tried contacting them directly and have left three messages to no avail. that is why I was hoping a vendor may be able to get in touch with them quicker. As far as the Au econ being bad as well, who knows? Its hard to get any answer at all

99-LS1-SS
06-29-2009, 05:39 AM

I read this somewhere too.

Rogue
06-29-2009, 06:44 AM
We've been in contact with them trying to get some of the kit parts mass produced for us so we can continue offering the kits (sourcing most of it state side). They've been less than receptive but we do talk with them from time to time.

Ktlplxm
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
If you need someone to help with the developing and testing of a home built kit, count me in. I want twin turbos. I'll settle for a supercharger, but I want two big nasty turbine force feeding the b!tch

'02 ws6
06-29-2009, 03:19 PM
WTF? :rofl:

Typing on my phone has a tendency to produce strangely spelled words! :)

MtbDoc
06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Give Martin a call...he can size you plenty of turbo for your cubes w/ a larger GenTT setup. I haven't talked with him in a while, but last I heard they were still building fast cars!

Robert@KBXPerformance
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Give Martin a call...he can size you plenty of turbo for your cubes w/ a larger GenTT setup. I haven't talked with him in a while, but last I heard they were still building fast cars!

I assume you are talking about Martin Donnon.

Ktlplxm
06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

The problem with Gen TT is the quality of the parts to me. they just don't seem up to par on the quality I will usually accept. The turbos themselves are fine, just everything else is "lacking". At that point I will have to change everything and then it isn't worth buying the kit. But I do appreciate your help.

The main reason I'm wanting the APS manifold extensions is so I can build my own or at least adapt the majority of their kit... The intercooler will need a change, as will the piping and duct work. Also, I'm not to keen on the oiling system either, it just looks "Home Depot-ish". I made a mistake before buying a complete kit from a supercharger company and having to literally change everything except the main bracket head unit... I don't wanna waste that much money again. If I have to build it myself, I might as well start at the beginning

SRG963
06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
The problem with Gen TT..............

Are you wanting to put twin turbos on your 427? If so, have you flown a jet lately? lol

Posidon42
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
The problem with Gen TT is the quality of the parts to me. they just don't seem up to par on the quality I will usually accept. The turbos themselves are fine, just everything else is "lacking". At that point I will have to change everything and then it isn't worth buying the kit. But I do appreciate your help.

The main reason I'm wanting the APS manifold extensions is so I can build my own or at least adapt the majority of their kit... The intercooler will need a change, as will the piping and duct work. Also, I'm not to keen on the oiling system either, it just looks "Home Depot-ish". I made a mistake before buying a complete kit from a supercharger company and having to literally change everything except the main bracket head unit... I don't wanna waste that much money again. If I have to build it myself, I might as well start at the beginning

Not a direct comment on the GenTT kits or any other vendor, but I had the same experience adding the turbo to my other car. The manifold and downpipe were the only parts that are 'hard' to make. Any reputable shop can make an exhaust, lots of places to get custom intercoolers made and $50 in tubing and some couplers will take care of all of the connections. Properly draining the oil is a concern unless someone is going to completely fab up new exhaust manifolds. Again, not impossible but I don't want to do it :) Power goals and existing manuals (Corky Bell's book is a good start) will tell you what injectors you need.

The problem as far as I see it is the tuning. My other turbo car had a complete aftermarket engine computer that I could tune with a laptop. I am still researching tuning options for the G8.

The optimal solution would be to redesign the headers so you get proper oil flow drainage out of the turbo.

Ktlplxm
07-01-2009, 04:22 AM
that is true and we've even kicked the idea around of having the headers custom made which would not be a problem, quite easy in fact. The adapter manifold is the only "kink" in the plan...I have no way of creating a cast piece...and i'm not 100% sure of the structural and metallurgical requirements of a stainless piece..ie how thick it would need to be, optimal wastegate placement, thickness etc...

Posidon42
07-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Doesn't need to be stainless. That is a nicety but adds quite a bit to the overall cost. Tubular manifolds generally make more power than cast manifolds anyway. I looked at the engine bay last night and an in-bay twin turbo is going to be a very tight fit. The oiling system is the main reason I don't like the kits that just attach to the stock header.

Other cars just switch the manifolds so they point up and to the front of the car and mount the turbos that way. Not sure we have the hood clearance to do that, but it would be interesting to see clearances if someone already had the accessories and covers off.

Ktlplxm
07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I just prefer stainless. Never liked the look of mild steel

Robert@KBXPerformance
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I just prefer stainless. Never liked the look of mild steel

In my professional opinion mild steel doesn't really belong in a turbo system. Going with SS is less a nicety and more a necessity for longevity of the system as a whole. With all the moisture that will be going through those pipes even fully coated mild steel will get quite nasty, and much quicker than most would think. When I first started out I made the mistake of trying to cheap out and save a little money going with non-stainless to do a turbo system. Though it did hold up for a long time when coated it just didn't have anywhere near the ability to resist corrosion when compared to ss.