PDA

View Full Version : ARH Questions

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm getting the R-F cai, VMS tune, & the HSRK installed in a couple of weeks by VMS at their shop. But I'm still on the fence with the ARH system even with the stock mufflers installed. I really, really don't want the exhaust sound to be ANY louder that stock at idle or even under normal throttle, which is how I drive it most of the time. My question is, are stock exhaust sound levels possible with the ARH + stock mufflers at idle, normal throttle, and especially at cruise?
Can anyone help with this. I have listened to the video with this exact system installed and have read several threads where this system was on the car and they all seem to point to very low sound levels until you get on it, and even then it's not too bad. Any further input would be greatly appreciated just to shine a little more light on this subject.

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I would say with stock muffs the sound will be a bit louder than stock, with the restrictions removed it pretty much has to be. When mine was stock I couldn't tell it was running without putting my hand on it. For me that was unacceptable. If you don't want it to be ANY louder than stock my best suggestion is to leave the car stock.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Wreckwriter; I think it was your video of the sound of this system, was it not? Additionally, what kind of performance gain could I expect by adding the ARH system with stock mufflers (and tuning for this system of course) compared to a car already equipped with the RF, VMS tune, & HSRK?

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
No, I don't have video upload capability. The video you saw was probably Jay's (ManOfSteel).

Long tube headers, with any muffs, should give you a very noticeable performance increase. Your car will be quite quick after those mods.

It will NOT sound stock though. Should be pretty quiet but will not be stock quiet.

Chewy
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
With long tubes... No matter who's. You go from pretty restrictive cats to hiflow cats so you are going to increase volume too.

Most header systems will increase your interior noise from the engine bay as well as the stock manifolds do a better job insulating the sound to the cabin. Thin steel tubes will sound bad ass but are usually louder. This is from past experience and NOT with the G8.:no1:

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
WreckWriter & 4gasem: Thanks for the sound input (no pun intended). I have a feeling I'll keep the stock system. If it ever gets boring I can always have the ARH system installed and have it retuned! Thanks again.

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Personally I can't understand why you would choose that, I absolutely hated mine with stock exhaust, but to each his own.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, I guess I'm too close to gieserdom (58). Just since reading your last post and the one from 4gasem I beginning to reconsider. It sounds like the car will actually be quite a bit faster with the addition of the ARH system (on top of the other listed mods). What kind of trap speed, 0-60, e.t. would you expect WreckWriter?

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, I guess I'm too close to gieserdom (58). Just since reading your last post and the one from 4gasem I beginning to reconsider. It sounds like the car will actually be quite a bit faster with the addition of the ARH system (on top of the other listed mods). What kind of trap speed, 0-60, e.t. would you expect WreckWriter?

I'll be 50 in 3 days (god that sucks) but I still like the rumble....

No promises of course but I would expect a 0-60 in the low to mid 4s. 4.4 to 4.5 or so, maybe even a bit better. Car should run low 13s in the quarter, possibly high 12s in the right conditions. Trap speed, 110 ish.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks WreckWriter: I appreciate the info. I think I might just go with the ARH SYTEM with the stock mufflers. 110ish sounds pretty good to me. Thanks.

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Keep in mind those numbers are speculation, basically guesses.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Will do, thanks.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 11:24 AM
WreckWriter; What's it like at cruise, i.e., can you hear the headers at all or is it just quiet?

wreckwriter
09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't say, never had headers with stock muffs. Ask Charlie, he has that combination. I would expect you can hear the exhaust but I'm not speaking from experience.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks.

Chewy
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Remember that EVERYONE perceives sound differently. Like Charlie... He's probably half deaf having grown up at the track and working on cars so long. lol

I have VERY sensitive hearing so every little thing drives me nuts!:o

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
4gasem: So how do you perceive the sound at cruise? I can handle a little more sound at part throttle, but at cruise I'd like it to be SILENT!

Chewy
09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
4gasem: So how do you perceive the sound at cruise? I can handle a little more sound at part throttle, but at cruise I'd like it to be SILENT!

Like I said I have not been in a G8 with this setup. I would say with other cars you just here more engine noise. like a Diesel but not that loud.

I'm sure the G8 isn't bad as it's a pretty quiet car from what I've been told.

GeorgeInNePa
09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
You will notice more underhood noise from the rotofab at cruise than from the exhaust.

WOT, it will be louder than stock.

G8GTlawride
09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm getting the R-F cai, VMS tune, & the HSRK installed in a couple of weeks by VMS at their shop. But I'm still on the fence with the ARH system even with the stock mufflers installed. I really, really don't want the exhaust sound to be ANY louder that stock at idle or even under normal throttle, which is how I drive it most of the time. My question is, are stock exhaust sound levels possible with the ARH + stock mufflers at idle, normal throttle, and especially at cruise?
Can anyone help with this. I have listened to the video with this exact system installed and have read several threads where this system was on the car and they all seem to point to very low sound levels until you get on it, and even then it's not too bad. Any further input would be greatly appreciated just to shine a little more light on this subject.

I have read all your replies to your original post. GET THE HEADERS, keep the stock mufflers. I have them and you will not be disappointed. I am almost 50 (a few months yet, sorry Wreck) and cannot stand the additional noise either. I was, like you skeptical on the noise but you (and I for sure) have lost more hearing than the headers will add noise! At initial start up, it will growl a little until it settles to idle, then quiet. At cruise you won't believe you have them. When you step on it you will notice the noise a little more. I see you are getting the Roto CAI. It will be louder than the exhaust when you mash the gas! The performance gain you get will far outweigh any noise issues, which IMO, are none. Your car will be an absolutely different animal once you are done with the mods you are considering. BTW, I listened to that same video and it is louder than live.

jbradsh1
09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
G8GTlawride; Thanks so much for the great report. I was just about convinced to keep the stock system but I got a couple of replys in addition to yours that said about the same thing. But yours was really convincing. Thanks very much. I'm going ahead with the ARH with the stock mufflers. By the way, will any performance shop, such as VMS, install the ARH system (they will be doing the other mods also)?

GRRRR8
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
They should not have an issue doing the install.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 04:33 AM
By the way, has anyone thought of doing the following: installing ONLY a set of high flow cats and some additional pipes to get back to the stock mufflers. That way you keep the stock headers (no added noise & possibly no emissions issues), eliminate the restrictive stock cats, eliminate the crimped pipes between the cats and the mufflers, and end up with improved performance with no liabilities whatsoever.

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 04:40 AM
Cost effectiveness would say probably getting ARH and stock muffs will give you the power and sound you are looking for for a little more $$. Cats by themselves that are direct fit hi-flow will probably be in the 7-$800 range for just the parts. Now you will need to have the x and the resonator and 2 small resonators removed or do a cat back, this too is 6-$700. As you can see the price will be close, but the ARH will probably be close to 3 times the gain for 1.5 times the cost.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks again GRRRR8. I sometimes forget just how much performance gain you get with a good set of headers. By the way, I noticed that the stock exhaust system seems to be a 4-2-1. On motorcycles this seemed the preferred set-up because it preserved some of the low - middle rpm torque. Not needed on a V-8 equipped car?

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks again GRRRR8. I sometimes forget just how much performance gain you get with a good set of headers. By the way, I noticed that the stock exhaust system seems to be a 4-2-1. On motorcycles this seemed the preferred set-up because it preserved some of the low - middle rpm torque. Not needed on a V-8 equipped car?

The ARH collectors are by far one of the best for scavenging exhaust gases, the factory manifolds are not bad, just not long enough primaries to make power.

Chewy
09-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Just to rock the boat a bit... :first:

It sounds as if MagnaFlow is coming out with their HiFlow cats which will bolt onto the stock manifolds and to their exhaust or the stock exhaust. No doubt the power won't be anywhere near as good as ARH but that's the option I prefer.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks to GRRRR8 & 4gasem for the solid info.

G8GTlawride
09-16-2008, 07:22 AM
G8GTlawride; Thanks so much for the great report. I was just about convinced to keep the stock system but I got a couple of replys in addition to yours that said about the same thing. But yours was really convincing. Thanks very much. I'm going ahead with the ARH with the stock mufflers. By the way, will any performance shop, such as VMS, install the ARH system (they will be doing the other mods also)?

Your welcome. I tried to reply last night but the cable went out. Missed the end of the game too!

You'll like the setup alot! Just make sure the X pipe clears the cross brace or you will have noise you never imagined. I had a slight contact and thought to myself "Oh what have I done". After the pipe was repositioned no more noise!

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I have received e-mail from VMS and they say Kooks are the best system. What's you take on that?

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Thats what they sell so......... Nothing wrong with KOOKS, the jury is out on the mufflers still.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
OK. So has anyone tried the Kooks system plus the stock mufflers? If so, does this set-up work as well as the ARH + stock muffs everyone seems to like?

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 07:35 AM
I cant see there being much if any difference between the 2.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
You should stick to one forum or the other. Driving me nuts switching between to try to answer the same question...

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
OK amigo, will comply!

Chewy
09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I think what he meant was stay here...

I can't think of any more questions you may ask but let me say that if you are THIS worried about it. DON'T do it!

Do a cat back and maybe some hiflow cats. If you don't mind a bit more noise then go for it. :beer:

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 07:42 AM
OK amigo, will comply!

Too many answers will confuse us all :) I think you should talk to Jay, MANOFSTEEL69. He is running full Kooks with stock muffs now I believe.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 07:42 AM
I think what he meant was stay here...

That's exactly what I meant!

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks. I sent an e-mail to ManofSteel. Awaiting his response.

Chewy
09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
MOS is running a NON DOD cam now though so that will change things some.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
MOS is running a NON DOD cam now though so that will change things some.

Shit, that's right. Never the less he's the only one I know running Kooks headers and midpipe with stock muffs.

jbradsh1
09-16-2008, 08:31 AM
And you're not the only person that has told me I talk too much. My brothers used to tell me "don't think Jeff, DO!" I think it's about time I listened to them in this regards.

wreckwriter
09-16-2008, 08:36 AM
And you're not the only person that has told me I talk too much. My brothers used to tell me "don't think Jeff, DO!" I think it's about time I listened to them in this regards.

But that's not what I'm telling you. I just think its better to post questions in a single forum most of the time. In this case, where you're asking about performance add-ons I feel this forum will provide the fastest and best answers. If you were asking about the stereo I might see it differently but this is the speed forum.

Chewy
09-16-2008, 09:03 AM

You won't be disappointed in performance that's for sure!

But that's not what I'm telling you. I just think its better to post questions in a single forum most of the time. In this case, where you're asking about performance add-ons I feel this forum will provide the fastest and best answers. If you were asking about the stereo I might see it differently but this is the speed forum.

Yes it was... :whipit:

G8GTlawride
09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I have received e-mail from VMS and they say Kooks are the best system. What's you take on that?

Either one will get you where you want to be. I do not know about the noise but probably the same or close. As you can see from some of the posts, ARH has been the header of choice with the one "MOS" having the Kooks. It all comes down to choice. Afterall, that is what makes America GRRRR8!

GRRRR8
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
ARH was available 1st like 3 months before at least! I really dont do the who is best thing. Both companies have high quality products, one will NOT out perform the other.

jbradsh1
09-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Another great tip! Thanks.