PDA

View Full Version : Stock Air Box / Snorkle Mod

SRG963
09-15-2008, 05:55 AM
On the lower part of the stock air box there is a snorkel with 2 rectangles formed at the bottom. You can use a razor or knife to trim these out. Add this mod with the lower panel mod and your stock box will have more air to breath.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/P8130082.jpg

For this picture, the camera was placed on the floor looking up threw the lower panel mod opening.

locrzn#92
09-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Is that looking from the bottom or top. Couple more pics would be good from different angles.
thanks

SRG963
09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Is that looking from the bottom or top. Couple more pics would be good from different angles.
thanks

The camera was placed on the concrete floor looking up threw the lower panel mod opening.
Notice the white filter in the picture :) (Origional Post Revised)

You can't see the new snorkle openings from the top of the engine bay, you can see the LPM opening a little.
The location of the new rectangular opeinings are directly over the LPM.

whlspin4ever
09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Did this mod last night....Did you notice an increase in the induction music (cant call it noise now can I)? Engine sounds much more aggressive now. Gotta love that!!!!:thumbsup: Now I have to get around to doing the LPM and drop in a "INSERT YOUR FILTER CHOICE HERE".

Also pulled the intake manifold "poser" cover too. That took a little longer...;)

EcoBrick Bob
09-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Help me... Help me...:poof:

locrzn#92
09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
It appears, the filter could get pretty dirty with it opened on the bottom. Maybe consider making a flat that would close. I hope to get to do that, but, be able to close it in bad weather. You could hinge it.

SRG963
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
It appears, the filter could get pretty dirty with it opened on the bottom. Maybe consider making a flat that would close. I hope to get to do that, but, be able to close it in bad weather. You could hinge it.

You can cut a H into the plastic (like I did) for the LPM and just fold it back when the weather is bad.

I've had mine open for at least 7k miles, driven threw many down pours and the filter still looks good to me :)

johnbell2
07-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Did this mod yesterday along with taking off the engine vanity cover. Left both the shims and rubber covers out. Seems to make a difference, you can feel the heat coming out of the nose after you park, it's actually forceful enough to be a slight breeze on your fingers.

R.Penguin
07-06-2009, 10:56 AM
You can cut a H into the plastic (like I did) for the LPM and just fold it back when the weather is bad.

I've had mine open for at least 7k miles, driven threw many down pours and the filter still looks good to me :)
Yeah! You don't want to give up the water injection! :hang:

G8JOE
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
How did you get to the snorkel? Cut all the plastic underneath? I just want to make a 4-5 inch hole, and do the snorkel mod. How do you get to the snorkel?

SRG963
08-26-2009, 03:29 AM
How did you get to the snorkel? Cut all the plastic underneath? I just want to make a 4-5 inch hole, and do the snorkel mod. How do you get to the snorkel?

You have to take the stock box out to hack on it :)

There is one bolt and one screw/stub inside the stock air box to remove. Remove the bolt and maf sensor, then gently raise the box over the screw/stub. You may have to remove the screw/stub also, I just yanked on mine and it the box slid up off the screw/stub.

G8JOE
08-28-2009, 09:32 PM
After tonight's major rain in our area and in lieu of the fact our roads suck, I decided to do the snorkel mod, but not the lower panel mod. I will keep that intact and will cut away the divider the lower grill that separates the radiator area from the intake side behind the grill part that does not have holes(behind the foglight area) essentially extending the high pressure area into the intake snorkel pick up area. Does that make sense?

G8JOE
08-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I posted this in another snorkel list on the forum:

This is what I did: cut away the divider on the lower grill that separates the radiator area from the intake side behind the grill part that does not have holes(behind the foglight area) essentially extending the high pressure area into the intake snorkel pick up area. Then the snorkel mod, taking out both rectangles under the snorkel horn. I also pulled the 1 inch piece of insulation that blocked over half of the top part of the snorkel horn's opening against the front bumper.

Today I did it, very significant difference. Pulls much harder in the midrange, bit more nice intake sound. Did not run right until I took off the neg battery cable.
Biggest difference is now it will shift at 6000rpm where I only got 5700-5800 rpm most before, and next would be the 45 to 90 mph kick in the a$$ it gets! Got to be the best free mods yet.

MIEngineer
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I posted this in another snorkel list on the forum:

This is what I did: cut away the divider on the lower grill that separates the radiator area from the intake side behind the grill part that does not have holes(behind the foglight area) essentially extending the high pressure area into the intake snorkel pick up area. Then the snorkel mod, taking out both rectangles under the snorkel horn. I also pulled the 1 inch piece of insulation that blocked over half of the top part of the snorkel horn's opening against the front bumper.

Today I did it, very significant difference. Pulls much harder in the midrange, bit more nice intake sound. Did not run right until I took off the neg battery cable.
Biggest difference is now it will shift at 6000rpm where I only got 5700-5800 rpm most before, and next would be the 45 to 90 mph kick in the a$$ it gets! Got to be the best free mods yet.

Probably not something I recommend for those who live in hot climates.

Why? Because what you are doing is actually interfering with airflow to the powertrain cooling module [the assembly of the radiator, condenser, etc]. These areas are separated to enhance cooling by directing airflow through the front of the car...