PDA

View Full Version : Clunky downshifts!

jbradsh1
06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Anyone experience this: on coming to a stop I get a clunky mechanical sound as the trans. downshifts from 4-3 and from 3-2. Don't know if it's in the trans. actually or something related to the driveshaft. I'm going to bring it in to a shop next week (already been to the Dealer, said it was normal as clearances widen over time ... anyone believe that) to take a look at it. It's bothersome and it's noticeable but doesn't seem to interfere with the trans. upshifting at all, which is why it's such a mystery to me.

13 QTR
06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Mine does it alittle...cause I had most of the downshift tq management turned off. It's more pronounced in manual mode when I downshift.....sometimes it hits so hard that it will drag the rear wheels.....
So...I try not to manual downshift at high rpms.....first time I did it....my chest hit the steering wheel and I thought the rear end locked up....

but the sport mode downshifts are damn fast....

appletonrc
06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
My 3-2 downshift is weird. It does the rev match but then it hits into gear. It makes you lurch forward. Doesn't do it 5-4 or 4-3.

-Ray-
06-27-2009, 03:46 AM
What mode are we talking about downshifts?

appletonrc
06-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Manual mode - spirited driving. Letting the tranny do it is normal.

edmanet
06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Once in awhile but I just thought it was my converter acting up.

jbradsh1
06-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Once in awhile but I just thought it was my converter acting up.

Well, that's what I initially thought too, but it seems this isn't a tune issue as it can't be tuned out. But it's noticeable enough to where if you were taking it for a test drive, with the idea of buying it, this would be a deal breaker, at least it would for me.

Ray, it happens in sport mode too when I'm letting the trans. shift automatically. Strangely though, when I put it in manual mode and do the down shifting myself it doesn't do it then. It reminds me a little of having a clutch car and being in third say and waiting too long to downshift to second as you're coming to a stop and it chugs, but it's really more of a mechanical noise and jerkyness.