PDA

View Full Version : Electonic Stability Program turned off by itself

Executor999
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Wow. I was on the way to the dealer today and ESP decided to turn off by itself. I thought maybe I had accidentally hit the button in the center console but upon pushing the button to turn it back on, nothing happened. When I got to the dealer the first thing the service manager did was turn the car on and drive into the repair bay. He tried the EPS button and it worked. He was able to turn it off and on repeatedly with no issues.

This is the first malfunction I have experienced so I cannot complain, but has anyone else experienced this?

GRRRR8
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
More then likely you need the brake light switch recalibrated.

Executor999
06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will have to let them know if it keeps turning off. I remember that one of the recall issues for our cars is related to the brake lights. That's why I brought the car to the dealer today. The recall numbers are so new that they aren't even in their computer systems yet!

p71
06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Both my g8s have done this intermittently. It is caused by an error in the ABS system. Usually you can just turn the car off let it sit for a few mins and it will clear. Mine also did it when I plugged in a scan tool whilst I as already running... I guess that the tool interupted data on the bus when it was trying to talk to the brake system and that caused the ESP to shut off.

08G8V8
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow. I was on the way to the dealer today and ESP decided to turn off by itself. I thought maybe I had accidentally hit the button in the center console but upon pushing the button to turn it back on, nothing happened. When I got to the dealer the first thing the service manager did was turn the car on and drive into the repair bay. He tried the EPS button and it worked. He was able to turn it off and on repeatedly with no issues.

This is the first malfunction I have experienced so I cannot complain, but has anyone else experienced this?

Same thing happened to me after I had the recalls done. I was driving down the road and noticed the light in the DIC showing it was turned off. I didn't remember seeing it when I got in the car at the dealership. I assumed maybe the person who drove my car around to the front of the building had pushed the button. It only did it the one time.

Executor999
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for sharing info! Sounds consistent with my experience this morning. One of the recalls has to do with the brake lights, but I don't think it is related. If it happens again I'll have to mention the tip about the ABS system you all and Charlie told me about.

GRRRR8
06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
If the brake light stay on while driving it disables the ESP.

wreckwriter
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I often turn mine off by accident when putting out a cigarette in the ashtray, real easy to do. Of course if you don't have the ashtray mod its a moot point.

JerzeyGT
06-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Thats just the car telling you to do a burnout... or drift around some turns....

BluYa76
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Mine did this last Monday while driving on the interstate. At the first chance I got I tried turning it off and on...nothing. I then tried turning the car off and on and still no luck. I then retuned it back to stock and then flashed it back to 93 with the superchips tuner and all was fine. Nothing sense.

NYG8GT
06-27-2009, 07:03 PM
When I go through the laser wash with the high pressure underbody spray, my car runs like crap for a minute or two, and usually the SES light comes on along with the ESP turning itself off. Mike at NEP told me its probably just a bit of water getting on to the intake filter causing a few mins worth of water ingestion throwing off the MAF or something like that. After the motor normals back up and SES light goes off, the ESP will turn itself back on automatically as well.

R.Penguin
06-27-2009, 07:31 PM

Yep, the car is telling you to stop farting around and STOMP IT! :p

blackoutgt
06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I had this problem when I installed my vararam and the MAF sensor got loose... I did the "disconnect the battery for 2 hours" trick, made sure the sensor was in good, and it was good to go. Weird though, it seems like when the Stab. Control goes off permanently something aint right.

xruling
01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Hmmm, I've been driving around for the last week gettin' loosey-goosey in the rear end, suspecting that my Christmas-gift-SC tune had deactivated the stability/traction controls. Yesterday morning, with the rear end coming around towards the front after accelerating through an intersection turn, I was convinced and have been wondering what to do.
As I was looking at the center curb through my front windshield instead of having to turn my head, my "Please don't curb the wheels, please don't dent the rims."- prayer was answered. And finally, none of the local blue shirts were there to witness the event and give me an award.

So I went out and checked the stability/traction control and was able to turn it off an on using the switch. The car seems to think it is working normally, so I did not mess with the SC tune.