PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wish List For Mods

Seattle09GT
06-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Those who can't do teach, or is those who can do look for someone to teach them? Ehhh, not important. :nah:

I'm sure someone out there smarter than me can come up with a solution (or already has).

When I reviewed the G8 back in 2008 I criticized GM for this, and in the 2009 model it is not addressed and it drives me freakin' crazy.

Has anyone figured out how to rewire the power sunroof so that is on RAP and you can open/close with the key out (before driver's door is open). So many times I stop, shut it down, pull the key and realize damn it, put key back in, put it to run, close sunroof, take key out...

I'll also toss out if someone has come up with this one here is my second wish.

A 12V power outlet that stays energized even when the key out. Ya I know, you can kill the battery but I don't have plans to charge a laptop computer while watching DVD's all night off of my car battery, but it sure would be nice if I left my cell phone plugged in to come back to a charged phone, not a dead one. Really not a gritch against the G8, I know almost all foreign built/designed cars do this and I hate it -LOL.

In a rewire I would want to maintain the circuit breaker for both, and not just splice into the RAP wire and call it good running everything off of a single 10 amp or 20 amp fuse (so there is the tricky part).

Anyway, any electrical geniuses out there?

Modhauler
06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
The sunroof in my car (Dodge) is the same way although I hardly use it.

I have 3 power outlets (don't hate me). The one in the ashtray section has 2 fuse settings, 1 for always on and the other for only on when the key is on. The outlets in the console and rear cargo area are always on. We're used to an outlet that always has power. Could you run straight off the battery for power and run it thru a fuse to the outlet? Not sure how these cars are set up. I'm no expert either.

r33pwrd
06-24-2009, 06:51 AM
I will check to see if there is an extra circuit in the fuse box that is set up off the door switch for the sunroof... the outlet is easy...

Seattle09GT
06-24-2009, 07:42 AM
I will check to see if there is an extra circuit in the fuse box that is set up off the door switch for the sunroof... the outlet is easy...

Thanks! I'm capable of the DIY just don't have access to wiring diagrams, service manuals etc. etc. to go, "a-ha, that's where I can hook it up!"

Kermit
06-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Finally someone else hates this about there G8!! I posted something like this when I first became a member. http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1490
Maybe now we might have better luck with getting this corrected. :)

Seattle09GT
06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
:bump:

JoshHefnerX
06-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I thought that the sunroof was controlled through the computer - wasn't there some change in how the switch operated for very early g8s and that got reprogrammed?

Josh

Mr_S_P
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
For accessory plugs that are on all the time, driver side fuse panel, need to remove it and take the dark green cable from F14 and move it to F7.

Might want to disconnect the car battery before doing this...

Kermit
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
For accessory plugs that are on all the time, driver side fuse panel, need to remove it and take the dark green cable from F14 and move it to F7.

Might want to disconnect the car battery before doing this...

So your saying this will make the sun roof work even after the car is turned off? Have you done this yet? Any negative results?

Seattle09GT
08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
So your saying this will make the sun roof work even after the car is turned off? Have you done this yet? Any negative results?

I think he saying to have the 12V outlets in the center console and lower dash on all the time (not just key in) you need to make this change. I have NOT done it yet, want to investigate if there are any bad things that would/could happen by doing this. I know that the GMT 900 owners (Chevy Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, etc. etc.) do similar jumpers on their fuse boxes for things like all four headlights on with high beams and bypass the fog lamp shut off when the high beams are on. No negative consequences for doing the jumpering around.

616 of 933
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I know that the GMT 900 owners (Chevy Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, etc. etc.) do similar jumpers on their fuse boxes for things like all four headlights on with high beams and bypass the fog lamp shut off when the high beams are on. No negative consequences for doing the jumpering around.

has this been done and is there a how to.