PDA

View Full Version : New Folding Key: Cutting it?

christiancoach
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a brand new folding key with the Holden Logo and I need to get it cut, or swap out the blade section from the Pontiac FOB.
The part I ordered is just the back with the log, and the folding key part. The buttons and keyring attachment part will stay the same.
So my question are:
Can I swap the blade from my Pontiac one to the Holden one?
If I need to get the Holden one cut, how would I go about that?
(note: I bought my car used and I do not have the 4 digit code)
If I can figure out how to get the key cut, will it require some kind of programming?
If so, what effect will that have on the other two keys I have, the non-folding and valet key?

Thank you for your help!

mjf232
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I saw these from a site over in OZ they were like $85 AUD shipped and I thought they were a cool idea. I'd try and switch out the blades and if that didnt work just take it to the dealer.

How long did it take to get?

christiancoach
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I saw these from a site over in OZ they were like $85 AUD shipped and I thought they were a cool idea. I'd try and switch out the blades and if that didnt work just take it to the dealer.

How long did it take to get?

Crazy Paul got it to me in about 10 days.

I can't seem to find anyone who has taken one of these apart. The blade seperated from the part with the logo on it that is.
Anyone????

beach
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
I too have an uncut flip key, but of the Pontiac logo variety, and as I said in our messages earlier, have yet to try and get it cut. Purchased it from a member who said no one could do it for them, and on my end I just don't know yet.

Hope so, as I need a spare, preferably sooner rather than later. If you find anything out or are successful, great, and if I do I'll post the same.

G8+6=fun
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
It is a factory cut key. When I bought mind I went and ordered a direct key FOB from the dealer and the key came cut, I had to do all the reprograming for all 3 keys at one time. If do just one the others will not work. Dealers do not have the key cutter for these keys or anyone else that I know of.If you don't know your key code it will be hard press to do one anyway. They sent all in to get it done. What I was told you need the key code, if you lose the glove box key you have to ordered the whole lock assy. Also if you don't have the right key even with the cut it won't work for these keys has a chip buit in them for the ignition switch and without the code they won't work. If you try with the wrong key it cuts the fuel off. This comes from the dealer not me...

christiancoach
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Hmmmmm, how to peel the Pontiac and Holden Logo's off and glue Holden logo to Pontiac Fob..........

jonjones88
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
So what is the cheapest way to get a folding key? Mine came with one folding key and one regular non folding key (plus the glove box key). I would like to replace the regular one with a folding one. Can I remove the "electronics" off of my regular one and just get the folding part?

TomPierce
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I ordered and paid for a cut key (just the folding key portion) from GM last March. For whatever reason, I still have not received it - the dealer originally said 4 to 6 weeks - it looks as if it is going to be 4 to 6 months instead.

chipman283
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
is there a differant key for the glove box? Is that an 08 thing? I did not get one with my 09 not that I would use it much.

WickedMom
07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I BELIEVE THE KEY FOB CASE IS TOTALLY SEPERATE FROM THE TRANSMITTER AND THE KEY ITSELF.
THIS IS THE BATTERY REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS....

Service Information
2009 Pontiac G8 | G8 Service Manual | Document ID: 2056853
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmitter Battery Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important: Replacement of the transmitter battery should only be carried out by your authorised GM dealer.

•Insert a suitable tool between the two key halves (1).

Important: Do NOT twist the tool as damage to the key retaining tang will occur.

Important: While inserting the tool, push the remote half (2) away from the key half (1).

•Separate the two key halves (1, 2).

Important: Replace the battery when the range of the transmitter decreases to less than 7 m (23 ft).

•Insert a suitable tool between the two halves (1) of the transmitter case (2), as shown in illustration.
•Separate the two halves of the transmitter case (2).

•Remove the battery (1) from the transmitter case (2).
Installation Procedure

Important: Transfer the battery directly from the blister pack to the fob. Avoid finger contact with battery.

•Install the transmitter battery (2) inside of the transmitter case (1) with the positive (+) side down.

•Marry both halves of the transmitter case (1, 2).
•Close the transmitter case, listen for an audible click to confirm fitting.

•Marry the two halves (1 and 2) of the key by firmly pushing the two together, listen for an audible click to confirm fitting
•Synchronize the transmitter. Refer to Transmitter Programming.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

jonjones88
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
is there a differant key for the glove box? Is that an 08 thing? I did not get one with my 09 not that I would use it much.
Yes and no, my 09 has it.

Looks like you can just take the transmitter out of the fixed key and place into a flippable key. I'm gonna talk to me dealer tomorrow. Looks like the key part is under 50 bucks.

jonjones88
07-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Ordered it this morning for $45. Since I got the car there, the parts guy grabbed all the info for the car there. Said the key part should be in on Wed of next week or sooner. I will update when I receive it and do the "marry" process.

Mav
07-24-2009, 07:05 AM
edit

-Ray-
08-11-2009, 01:53 PM
My flip key quit flipping. I went to use it and I sorta had to force it open. :wacko:
When I went to the dealer today, I got my car back with my key fixed. I didn't even ask them. :woohoo:

WickedMom
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
LOL! your FLIPPIN key!!

I have replaced a couple keys now, and I have a locksmith that has a mobile laser cutter. he duplicated the existing key and wahlah. it worked great!

renmike
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
LOL! your FLIPPIN key!!

I have replaced a couple keys now, and I have a locksmith that has a mobile laser cutter. he duplicated the existing key and wahlah. it worked great!

How much would something like that cost? Do you think another type of manufacturer's dealership could cut the key(s) if they could? Because, I think I've seen other brands use that type of key (I think VW, for one).

R.Penguin
08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
LOL! your FLIPPIN key!!

Yep, they are side-milled. Laser would work. :p

DHmotorsports08
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
they give you a key code with your keys when you buy the car but because your is used you probably dont have one. you take the key and the code to the locksmith and they just enter the code and it cuts the key. Thats what i was told.

wreckwriter
01-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I BELIEVE THE KEY FOB CASE IS TOTALLY SEPERATE FROM THE TRANSMITTER AND THE KEY ITSELF.
THIS IS THE BATTERY REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS....

Service Information
2009 Pontiac G8 | G8 Service Manual | Document ID: 2056853
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmitter Battery Replacement
Removal Procedure
Important: Replacement of the transmitter battery should only be carried out by your authorised GM dealer.

•Insert a suitable tool between the two key halves (1).

Important: Do NOT twist the tool as damage to the key retaining tang will occur.

Important: While inserting the tool, push the remote half (2) away from the key half (1).

•Separate the two key halves (1, 2).

Important: Replace the battery when the range of the transmitter decreases to less than 7 m (23 ft).

•Insert a suitable tool between the two halves (1) of the transmitter case (2), as shown in illustration.
•Separate the two halves of the transmitter case (2).

•Remove the battery (1) from the transmitter case (2).
Installation Procedure

Important: Transfer the battery directly from the blister pack to the fob. Avoid finger contact with battery.

•Install the transmitter battery (2) inside of the transmitter case (1) with the positive (+) side down.

•Marry both halves of the transmitter case (1, 2).
•Close the transmitter case, listen for an audible click to confirm fitting.

•Marry the two halves (1 and 2) of the key by firmly pushing the two together, listen for an audible click to confirm fitting
•Synchronize the transmitter. Refer to Transmitter Programming.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Are there pictures for these instructions anywhere?

wreckwriter
01-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Never mind, I found it. Hope I can replace batts without this thing needing reprogrammed..........