PDA

View Full Version : Line lock day complete!

Darkside
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Well we spent fathers today up in Pittsburgh using the car for a prototype for a new line lock. Went up to SJM Manufacturing and got everything mocked up for the G8 setup. There will be a couple of different options and Steve took pictures of the setups. Steve spent all day figuring out the best spot and fabbing the kits up. Not alot of room by the ABS, but a nice looking setup. Now I just need to figure out where I want the switches and light.

Thanks again to Steve at SJM, hope to see him here as a sponsor. Should be a fun mod.:woohoo:

Thanks as well to Wreckwriter for getting this ball rolling.

Mr louis
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
cant wait!

GM_Fan
06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Waiting to see the finished product.

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks very much for doing that :)

GRRRR8
06-22-2009, 05:00 AM
:woohoo: If 1 of you has SJMs info send it to me so I can contact them.

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 05:07 AM
:woohoo: If 1 of you has SJMs info send it to me so I can contact them.

check PMs

GRRRR8
06-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks!

MANOFSTEEL69
06-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Any rough estimates cost wise?
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Here's their GTO stuff, similar price???

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/gto_brk.html

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Now if we can get someone to make a trans brake........

Darkside
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Steve also makes Bogart race wheels. He was playing around with one laying around and put it on the G8. Hopefully he'll sign up here and post all his pics.

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Here's a few pics Steve sent me. I don't know the context, just got the pics:

G8GT721
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
he guys how many wires are there in a line lock set up, since im pulling wires now i might as well pull these just in case

+12 to switch, wire for other side if switch to line lock assembly (2total)???

blackbirdws6
06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Was surprised something like this wasn't out sooner. Def. a nice thing to have on cars that see the strip more than a few times a year.

Darkside
06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's a few pics Steve sent me. I don't know the context, just got the pics:

First picture is the actual one in my car, its the Hurst style line lock. The second picture is the SJM line lock, which is a bit less expensive. The last two pictures are of a custom Bogart race wheel that he was checking into seeing what our G8's would require.

I'll be painting the lines black to blend in to the factory lines. 99% of the world won't even know that its there.

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Yea, the Hurst is the way to go.

GRRRR8
06-22-2009, 03:57 PM
I hope to see SJM here soon. If they are going to sell a lot of them, it will be here!

G8GT721
06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
guys whats the difference between the two line locks? is it just price?

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Hurst is generally considered more reliable due to better solenoid.

wreckwriter
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
he guys how many wires are there in a line lock set up, since im pulling wires now i might as well pull these just in case

+12 to switch, wire for other side if switch to line lock assembly (2total)???

Pull 4 just in case, you can always unpull 2.

G8GT721
06-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Hurst is generally considered more reliable due to better solenoid.

gotcha

Pull 4 just in case, you can always unpull 2.

spare wires are always good just in case

-Ray-
06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice going Steve. I'm not ready for this now, but I'm sure I will soon enough. BTW, I'm in your neck of the woods this week.

edmanet
06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I hope to see SJM here soon. If they are going to sell a lot of them, it will be here!

SJM just posted this will be available in a few weeks over on ls1tech. Maybe we can get him to be a sponsor here and get a group buy. And the price will be about the same as GTO pricing $149.

wreckwriter
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Steve, how big of a nightmare was the bleed after install?

GRRRR8
06-23-2009, 10:37 AM
No different then when you did your brake lines.

MANOFSTEEL69
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
SJM just posted this will be available in a few weeks over on ls1tech. Maybe we can get him to be a sponsor here and get a group buy. And the price will be about the same as GTO pricing $149.

+1

Darkside
06-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Steve, how big of a nightmare was the bleed after install?

I was at the Pittsburgh Zoo at the time.:gop:

GeorgeInNePa
06-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Where do I send the check?

I can haz linelok?

;)

GRRRR8
06-28-2009, 04:14 AM
They will be available in July. George you get yours in December. :nah:

Devilish34
06-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Georges current line lock kit
http://www.belson.com/images/7074-M.jpg

GeorgeInNePa
06-28-2009, 04:43 AM
:rofl:

You guys realize this just points out how lazy we all are, right? We could have bought the LL months ago and bent the tubing ourselves.

We waited until someone bent tubing for us.

I still can't wait for the kit.

;)

Devilish34
06-28-2009, 05:43 AM
:rofl:

You guys realize this just points out how lazy we all are, right? We could have bought the LL months ago and bent the tubing ourselves.

We waited until someone bent tubing for us.

I still can't wait for the kit.

;)
Or called this guy

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUXiaBoAng/RuvFgWK9DRI/AAAAAAAABaw/GLmptmUCJcA/s400/2.jpg

wreckwriter
07-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Looky looky:

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/g8_brk.html

Line locks are now available!

GeorgeInNePa
07-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Looky looky:

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/g8_brk.html

Line locks are now available!

Ordered!

:)

wreckwriter
07-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Ordered!

:)

Me too. Planned your switches yet?

GeorgeInNePa
07-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Me too. Planned your switches yet?

No, I do have some thoughts...

I am thinking about a plug under the dash with a small switch box that can be strapped to the e-brake handle on race day.

SJM Manufacturing Inc
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
If one of you guys can acquire schematics for the CC circuit or other circuit you want to run the LL through, I see what I can do incorporating the LL electrical portion into the circuit.

Could someone e-mail or post Charlie’s e-mail address please.

wreckwriter
07-17-2009, 05:24 AM
No, I do have some thoughts...

I am thinking about a plug under the dash with a small switch box that can be strapped to the e-brake handle on race day.

That's a good idea. I was thinking 2 toggles on the little panel where the headlight switch is. One would be standard on/off, the other momentary. Not sure if I need SPST, SPDT, etc switches though. Will see what come in the kit and try to figure it out. Mine won't be here til Monday.

wreckwriter
07-17-2009, 05:24 AM
If one of you guys can acquire schematics for the CC circuit or other circuit you want to run the LL through, I see what I can do incorporating the LL electrical portion into the circuit.

Could someone e-mail or post Charlie’s e-mail address please.

CC?

Cruise control?

SJM Manufacturing Inc
07-17-2009, 06:23 AM
hmmmm digital logic circuit. Not going to work easily without bypassing internal resistance between switches. By the represenation, its probably a switch that is built without the intent of repair...only replace.

You need at mininum a stdp switch to create a multi function circuit. Lets try another circuit. How about the horn circuit.

What is this circuit from? Mitchell, Alldata or directly from GM? Please e-mail me the circuit as I don't get on here as much as I'd like....

wreckwriter
07-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Its from AllData. I'll mail you the horn but here it is too. Personally I'm not going to use an existing button, going to give it a switch of its own.

wreckwriter
07-18-2009, 05:39 AM
For those considering using the horn button, the first post here may help:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=63983.0

99-LS1-SS
07-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Subscribing.

GeorgeInNePa
07-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I didn't realize the kit was in fact a KIT.

You get everything!

Toggle switch, push button, indicator light, wire, connectors, etc...

Nice

wreckwriter
07-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Is it a coil type wire on the button? Wish there was a way to mount a button on the wheel somehow but I can't see how. Starting to think the horn trick might be best.

wreckwriter
07-18-2009, 06:21 AM
When you installing George?

GeorgeInNePa
07-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Just standard stranded wire.

I'll be installing probably Mon/Tues sometime.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/G8/LL.jpg

SJM Manufacturing Inc
07-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I didn't realize the kit was in fact a KIT.

You get everything!

Toggle switch, push button, indicator light, wire, connectors, etc...

Nice

I’m glad that our kit was so well received. Hopefully you find it just as easy to install. Our kits come pre-assembled; ready to install. We try to make it as easy as possible for the novice installer.

I've developed an advanced schematic circuit design for the non-novice G8 customer as an alternative electrical installation and functionality. Let me reiterate, this is not for the novice G8 customer.

It will be made available to our customers who purchase our kits new from us. It will not be made available nor is it intended for the general public. SJM takes pride in our work and are happy to extend advanced services. We are happy to support our customers who support us and our vendors. Please contact me for details.

wreckwriter
07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I'll be installing probably Mon/Tues sometime.

George, did you install yet?

GeorgeInNePa
07-25-2009, 10:13 AM
George, did you install yet?

No, I didn't get to it. I had "round the house" stuff to take care of.

Hopefully this week.

wreckwriter
07-26-2009, 05:12 AM
I got my hardware mounted yesterday, will be bleeding today and wiring within next couple days. Not much room to drill mounting holes due to fuse box and other stuff in the way. I was only able to get 2 mounts, 3 would be doable if you spent more time at it. It seems very secure though.

wreckwriter
07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Bleed complete, no issues. Went ahead and painted my calipers while the wheels were off... Now to put it all back together.

GeorgeInNePa
07-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Bleed complete, no issues. Went ahead and painted my calipers while the wheels were off... Now to put it all back together.

Do you have one of those power bleeders or did you go "old school"?

wreckwriter
07-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you have one of those power bleeders or did you go "old school"?

Power bleeder.

c5racr1
08-03-2009, 07:31 AM
did you get an ABS light when You use the line lock> I installed mine and I get an abs warning light when I use it.

GRRRR8
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
That would be normal as the front tires are stationary and the rears are spinning. Once the key is cycled it will turn off if it doesnt before that.

c5racr1
08-04-2009, 06:24 AM
thank you, i was just wondering

wreckwriter
08-12-2009, 06:02 AM
I got mine wired in yesterday. Haven't had a chance to test it with a waterbox but on dry street the front wheels will still roll a bit, locked but not totally locked.

Rich@pm-fl.com
08-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I got mine wired in yesterday. Haven't had a chance to test it with a waterbox but on dry street the front wheels will still roll a bit, locked but not totally locked.

They should be totally locked. You really have to push down on the brakes hard before you lock the solenoid.

wreckwriter
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
They should be totally locked. You really have to push down on the brakes hard before you lock the solenoid.

I thought I pushed pretty hard. Will retest.

SJM Manufacturing Inc
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I thought I pushed pretty hard. Will retest.

As mentioned, you do have to depress the brake pedal rather hard then activated the solenoid. If you still have air in your front lines, you're going to have issues as well. Air trapped in the system doesn’t have the same compressibility as hydraulic fluid.

If you don't have a scan tool to cycle the controller while bleeding (if air is trapped in the controller solenoids), stomp on the brakes a few times (while driving) to activate the solenoids, this can dislodge trapped bubbles. Then re-bleed the system. Realistically, you should only need ~32oz bottle for the whole job. Remove most of the older fluid before you start the process. This lowers dilution issues between new and old fluid. The car that we did even though the fluid wasn’t too old, it was very dirty looking. FWIW, you’re fluid should be changed every 2 years at most. The longer you let it go, the higher the water content lowering your wet boiling point. You'll also increase the likelihood if internal corrosion within the caliper components and brake lines.

How did the whole install go? Are you happy with the results thus far?

wreckwriter
08-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Got a chance to test it at the track Saturday night, it worked perfectly. I made sure to really push the brakes before I actuated it and the car didn't move until I released it.

Install was pretty easy, hardest part was the bleed and that's only hard due to dealing with jackstands and pulling the wheels. I took power off one of the cigarette lighter fuses using a Littlefuse Add-a-Circuit. I'll try to post some pics soon.

wreckwriter
08-17-2009, 06:04 AM
What type of tool is needed to cycle the controller? Anything short of a Tech 2 that will do it?

SJM Manufacturing Inc
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
What type of tool is needed to cycle the controller? Anything short of a Tech 2 that will do it?

There may be other controllers which cycle ABS like the tech 2 tool. If you've got concerns or issues, cycling the ABS as I've described should dislodge air as well.

Devilish34
09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
ordered :)

SJM Manufacturing Inc
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I think I saw it go out yesterday (wednesday). It probably will arrive today. If if left, you should have received tracking numbers.

Let me know if you need any help. If you want the special horn circuit I drew up specifically for your car, I can send it to you.

It should be a rather simple install. The kit comes pre-assembled. A tip for you, make sure you always rotate the solenoid clockwise (if you need to re-position it).

Give me a call if you have questions regarding the kit,

Thanks for your order!

Devilish34
09-10-2009, 03:13 AM
I think I saw it go out yesterday (wednesday). It probably will arrive today. If if left, you should have received tracking numbers.

Let me know if you need any help. If you want the special horn circuit I drew up specifically for your car, I can send it to you.

It should be a rather simple install. The kit comes pre-assembled. A tip for you, make sure you always rotate the solenoid clockwise (if you need to re-position it).

Give me a call if you have questions regarding the kit,

Thanks for your order!

UPS has it as a Friday delivery ... What does the horn circuit do? Does it eliminate the need for a switch inside the car or ??

SJM Manufacturing Inc
09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
It would enable you to use the horn as a dual button. You'll need to remote mount somewhere (literally anywhere you want to hide it...glove box etc) in the car a small switch, you'll want to mount the small LED in a visible area.

When the switch is in its normal position, the horn button controls the horn. When you throw the switch in the opposite direction, an LED illuminates (visual acknowledgment the horn button no longer controls the horn), the horn is now your LL button.

It’s a separate circuit I created for you guys as some had asked for a different layout. You’ll need a couple of parts that we do not include in the electrical kit. The electrical kit which comes with the kit consists of two switches, ~10’ of wire, LED and assorted connectors.

It’s a separate option that we have for our customers. There is no cost for the circuit for the guys who own our kits. It is a bit more technically challenging to install.

Devilish34
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
It would enable you to use the horn as a dual button. You'll need to remote mount somewhere (literally anywhere you want to hide it...glove box etc) in the car a small switch, you'll want to mount the small LED in a visible area.

When the switch is in its normal position, the horn button controls the horn. When you throw the switch in the opposite direction, an LED illuminates (visual acknowledgment the horn button no longer controls the horn), the horn is now your LL button.

It’s a separate circuit I created for you guys as some had asked for a different layout. You’ll need a couple of parts that we do not include in the electrical kit. The electrical kit which comes with the kit consists of two switches, ~10’ of wire, LED and assorted connectors.

It’s a separate option that we have for our customers. There is no cost for the circuit for the guys who own our kits. It is a bit more technically challenging to install.

I'll have to take a look at the kit when it gets here.

Devilish34
09-12-2009, 05:44 AM
solenoid installed late last night now on to the wiring.

MANOFSTEEL69
09-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Just ordered mine today! Woot!

Devilish34
09-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Just ordered mine today! Woot!

FYI it's a tight fit
I had to break out the center punch and hammer to drill small starter holes to mount it.

I'll post some pics when I'm done. Just need to figure out how I'm wiring it to keep it stealthy

Devilish34
09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my car so I grabbed the ashtray from my Avalanche. Plus with two young children there will be no worries about them flipping switches. Just have to work on the power from the ashtray to the solenoid. I will either have a jack to pug into in the glove box or a wire from the GB to the ashtray w/plug. The power point just is switched and has a fuse :)