PDA

View Full Version : droopy front bumper/grill

norm8332
09-14-2008, 07:12 AM
I've noticed on many of our cars the entire front end is droopy a bit. Notice the gaps in the center of the hood edge where it meets the plastic front end. The picture isn't my car, but it looks exactly the same with the large gaps.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=92&stc=1&d=1221404781

If I grab the bumper from the very bottom and lift it up it moves very easily. If I hold it up the gaps close and it looks like I think it should. I cant find any way to adjust it up permanently because besides 2 bolts under the hood that I've already tried adjusting, the entire thing is held on with plastic push clips.

Anybody else notice this or find a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Cobra
09-14-2008, 07:27 AM
I noticed the same thing after the first couple of days after my purchase. I was wondering if that was just a design decision to allow a little more air into the engine area.

GTPprix
09-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Use washers between the fascia and mounting point to bring it up, should work fine ;)

norm8332
09-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Use washers between the fascia and mounting point to bring it up, should work fine ;)

You mean on the two bolts under the hood?

norm8332
09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Well I did as vector suggested and here are the results:

Washer locations:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=93&stc=1&d=1221410474

Results:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=94&stc=1&d=1221410474

It did close up the gap noticeably. I am satisfied.

Thanks Vector!

GTPprix
09-14-2008, 08:57 AM
No sweat! Old Body trick, works on lots of panels :)

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Do you recall what size washers were needed to fit?

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Pull 1 fastener out before you go to the hardware store to match ID.Looking at it it looks like the washer shoud measure 1 1/4-1 1/2 across.

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Pull 1 fastener out before you go to the hardware store to match ID.Looking at it it looks like the washer shoud measure 1 1/4-1 1/2 across.

Probably won't be able to source locally in anything but pot metal so will order from McMaster-Carr. I'll pull one out and measure, just thought someone might know off the top.

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 05:53 AM
I never measured, but the eye meter says 3/8-10mm.

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Sears Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes all have stainless fasteners in a drawered section in the fastener section. DO NOT ASK those idiots, look yourself! I have found them in pre-packaged in various sizes as well. I would hang on a piece of coat hanger and paint black so you cant see them as well.

GTPprix
10-05-2008, 06:33 AM
So are we calling this the VMS Fascia mod? LOL

PostalCherokee
10-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Well thanks for that trick guys. I thought the car was just supposed to look this way. I thought it was a bit too much of a gap as well.

norm8332
10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
FYI, This improved the gap but it is still a bit large. Grab the very bottom of your bumper and pull it out toward the front and the gap closes to where I think it should. I'm going to look into switching out the plastic clips that hold it on along the underneath with bolts so it can be pulled out then the bolts tightened to keep it there.

Right now the holes in the bumper plastic underneath with the clips ore oblong and it just slides back to the lowest position with the clips.

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 08:40 AM
FYI- The closest US size for the bolts is 1/4". In addition to the bolts there are also 2 push pins inboard of the bolts which require a 5/16 washer. They're the kind of pins where the center portion pulls out and then the main body of the pin can be pulled out. Adding washers to these areas really doesn't close the gap by much, measurable I'm sure but not very noticeable. Norm's idea of replacing the pins with bolts might do the trick.

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Just use the allen head type carriage bolts for neatness.

norm8332
10-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I was able to get the gaps to a perfect size with a modification of the washer trick. instead of the washers (I pulled them) I fabricated a piece of flat steel approx 1.5 x 2.0 inches and drilled a hole for the bolt on one end, and the other end I bent up about 1/4 inch and ground it to fit the inside edge of the plastic,it extends froward toward the front underneath the plastic. When the bolt is tightened it pushes it up perfectly.

Sorry I didn't get any pics. But I hope you get the idea. Worked great. I'm happy, now it looks right.

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 12:41 PM
sounds great but we really need a pic... No way?

How about making another set and selling it to me?

norm8332
10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Here is a freehand drawing of what I did (I know bad) This is just for the idea.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=153&stc=1&d=1223240993

Wreck, I did this at my home using some scrap I had laying around, I dont have any suitable material left. But The drawing above should help. I'm sure there are other ways to do this too.

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I guess I don't see how it works. Did you remove the 2 pins inboard of the bolts? If not, aren't they holding the fascia down in the middle?

norm8332
10-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I guess I don't see how it works. Did you remove the 2 pins inboard of the bolts? If not, aren't they holding the fascia down in the middle?

I left one washer on each of the two pins.

What I did above is applying upward pressure right at the front edge of the plastic from underneath.

With the previous washers the plastic was just bending down right after the washer ended.

I guess you could also use a bit of 1/4" bar stock and push it underneath all the way until it hits the first downward bend (edge) in the plastic fascia. Then you could mark where to cut and drill it while it's in place.

Now I don't know for sure that that would work because I used a piece of 1/16" steel that was bent as shown above.

I'm sorry but don't know how to explain it any better.

wreckwriter
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
that's cool. I'll look at again and see what I can figure out.

G8GTlawride
10-06-2008, 05:25 PM
After reading the posts on the sagging bumper, I set out to fix mine. I used the bolts but not the flat steel.
Supplies:
21/64 drill bit
3/8 x 24 (fine thread) bottom tap
4, 3/8 x 24 bolts 3/4" long (stainless)
4, 3/8 flat washers (stainless)
4, 3/8 lock washers (stainless)
Loctite

I removed the lower panel completely BEFORE I realized I did not have to. But in doing so made the mods a little easier (good time to cut the air filter area).

There are four 7mm hex headed screws and six plastic push pins on the bottom of the panel plus three in each front wheel well if you want to remove the panel. If not, just remove four. The four that I removed are the two that are in the center of the panel and right next to each other. The other two are more outboard but toward the FRONT of the car. The two rearward most pins were reused.

Drill the holes that the pins insert into with the 21/64 drill bit. The holes are almost the right size but not quite. Once drilled tap the holes with the 3/8 x 24 (fine thread) tap. I used the fine thread because the frame is fairly thin and I wanted to ensure I got the most threads on it.

Once tapped, coat the threads with loctite, install lock washer then flat washer and install bolts. Once all four bolts have been started in the holes, have someone lift up on the front bumper from underneath (the elongated holes in the panel will allow the bumper adjustment) and then snug the bolts just until the lock washer flattens out. Tighten no more than this! Thats it. The bumper will now sit where it should. Regarding the elongated holes, you could probably elongate them further to close the gap even more but I did not look into how much the bumper will move overall so you take your chances with that. This is really a simple fix, if you take your time. Good luck.

wreckwriter
10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
How much were you able to close the gap? Significantly I assume?

G8GTlawride
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
How much were you able to close the gap? Significantly I assume?

Yes. I did not alter the slots in the lower panel. I assume one could make them longer and pull the bumper even closer but I did not think it necessary. I have it as close as the STOCK length of the slots and "plastic flex" (what norm8332 eluded to) will allow. Much better looking, and if you grab and pull on it, it does not move as before. I hated that slop in the bumper when it was pulled on!

wreckwriter
10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes. I did not alter the slots in the lower panel. I assume one could make them longer and pull the bumper even closer but I did not think it necessary. I have it as close as the STOCK length of the slots and "plastic flex" (what norm8332 eluded to) will allow. Much better looking, and if you grab and pull on it, it does not move as before. I hated that slop in the bumper when it was pulled on!

sounds good. Thanks!

Tate
10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Can we get some picture from people that have done this? I would love to see a before and after shot showing the difference and any good shots of what your are actually talking about might help as well.
Tate

wreckwriter
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I did this today using G8GTLawride's method. Was quite easy and closed the gap quite a bit. A couple differences:

1-Couldn't get 3/8-24 bolts so I used 3/8-16. Snugged up nicely, should hold fine
2- I didn't need to drill out my holes, the bit went right into the hole so I just tapped them. Like I said, seems it will hold nicely.

I also did not elongate the slots but I think to get max closure you will need to. There is still some gap.

G8GTlawride
10-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Glad it worked out! :woohoo: (I stll owe you BTW)

wreckwriter
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Glad it worked out! :woohoo: (I stll owe you BTW)

Nah, we're even :)

Napalm
04-04-2011, 05:52 AM
OK I am occasionally OCD. but the Driver Side of the G8 front facia droops a bit. panel gap is hideous. I think the previous owner tapped a curb or something.

I can lift it up a bit and it just falls back down (call it a 1/4 inch or less but more than a 1/16).

Query: does anyone have the removal instructions for the front facia so I can take it off and see what's broken. maybe a simple washer mod will fix it and I can stop going nuts.

Otherwise looking for a helm manual or download.

-Ray-
04-04-2011, 09:48 AM
The fascia is easy to remove. The fasteners top and bottom you can find easy enough. So I won't wait any more of your time locating those. remove enough fasteners in the fender wells to get access to the bumper cover. There are a couple fasteners holding the bumper cover to the front fenders. Remove these.
The wire harness for the fogs and the side lamps plug is on the left side.
There are two tabs that slide under a plastic piece just below the bottom of the head light. I bet it's not on that.

Chewy
04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I saw people at the meet were using washers on theirs. Not had an issue with mine, but I've also never had it off.

norm8332
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Earlier thread: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=794

Chewy
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Merged!

kendall.alston
12-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Just knocked this out today! Thanks for the breakdown on instructions.

Sent from my FBI Surveillance Van