PDA

View Full Version : "New to" Tuning Questions

blackoutgt
06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
So I'm fairly new to performance mods and tuning, so I had a few questions before I dive in. Here we go...

1) which is better/easier/cheaper, taking it to a shop for a tune on a dyno, or mail order tuning from like VMS.(there isn't any good close shops around me)

2)I just put on a Vararam intake (props by the way), and I want to tune, BUT, I'm also planning on doing other mods in the future. Should I wait, or will I be able to update tunes for free? (I don't want to have to re-buy a tune)

3) any suggestions? ECM,TCM, etc?

Thanks for the help y'all. Forums make life with a G8 so much sweeter.

'02 ws6
06-21-2009, 07:30 AM
VMS has a good mail order tune for the VaraRam and you can add a kick ass TCM tune as well for next to nothing. They also offer a flash cable that's really cool, so you won't have to pay for a whole brand new tune, just an updated tune if you go with more mods down the line.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Matt@SNL[OLD]
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
A mail order tune will be easier, but a dyno tune will be more comprehensive. Give me a call at the shop and I can go into detail.

Matt
817-750-2000

G8+6=fun
06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
A dyno tune is suppose to be the best way to go.. My question is your car is at wide open throttle for sometime and often to get the tune in place. So it is at it's peak in RPM doesn't that hurt the engine with that much strain on it for so long and often at one time. I have heard that it stretches the rods and cam bearings to the limit with the valve train. Let alone the rings that is rubbing up and down the cyl bore with force. If you got a race version of a engine with a HP parts then different story but with a everyday engine that is a daily driver from the factory is a little different i would think. Just a question. I know everyone in the PF field makes money for it but is it good for the engine or just the performance line. I know if a engine is tune right it will perform better but at what cost to the engine. Not a argument just a question to answer PLEASE>

Matt@SNL[OLD]
06-23-2009, 12:41 PM
The engine is ran WOT for maybe 10 seconds a pass, there is no need to keep it at high rpm for an extended period. A good tuner would first get the fueling correct by dialing in the VE and MAF tables, then use the dyno to fine tune for maximum power. As far as rod bolts stretching, that is something that could happen if the motor is groosly over revved, we are talking above 7200 rpm multiple times, nowhere near what would happen on a dyno unless it is in fact a performance built engine.
One aspect of getting the tune in line is so that the engine can perform to it's peak efficiency without added stress.