PDA

View Full Version : Wish I was an audio engineer...

timg8
06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
so I could figure out how to adapt this from the Holden Caprice:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wm_caprice_005.jpg

Shouldn't be difficult since this is what they came from:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6785/vecalaisv055ep8.jpg

fourthmeal
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Why?

Do you think BOSE does a better job? Because I don't.

But that's just me.

dandragonrage
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Buy Other Sound Equipment.

r33pwrd
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I love my BOSE... (Home Audio though)

dandragonrage
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

You poor, uninformed soul

Black_Ice
06-23-2009, 04:51 PM
How about

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/2008/aus/products/default.asp?content=entertainment&id=6

r33pwrd
06-23-2009, 05:10 PM
You poor, uninformed soul

not uniformed just like quality stuff... sorry if you dont like Bose but for my application at my house there is very little that comes close to the Bose.

Mike P
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
How about

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/2008/aus/products/default.asp?content=entertainment&id=6

Bad ass! Would be nice to order one, have it shipped, and installed here in the U.S.

Sweet.......... :)

Walkinshaw is awesome....

Mike P
06-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Ut oh, just became obsessed with car audio again.....

I want this!!!

http://www.pcasystems.com.au/maloo.html

GeoffA
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM

You and me both

I have 701's since I was in High School and they still rock with my surround
http://www.yellowpages.co.il/PROOF/040505300000000000/bose701.jpg

Bose vcs10 center channel
https://www.belmonttv.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/p_vcs10_l_b.jpg

Klipsch synergy 12" sub
http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/247/klipsch-synergy-sub-12.1457911.jpg

Two Sony SS-MS5 rear surround speakers
http://www.nodevice.com/images/sm/big/2008_08_09_14_50_26/6473_1.jpg

Harman Kardon AVR 635 7.1 receiver
http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31249751-2-440-overview-1.gif

I like to piece my systems together rather than buying box sets, but the BOSE and the Klipsch I will never get rid of.

GT-610
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
this is killing me.ANYONE WITH EARS THAT ARE NOT ON FIRE WILL AGREE THAT BOSE IS CRAP IF THEY COMPARE IT TO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE.

OMG,where are all the audiophiles when you need one.If you enjoy the sound of BLOWS,I mean BOSE,you might need a hearing test,or just simply need to raise your standards.
Sorry,but it is just common knowledge in the audio world that bose is all marketing,its like McDonalds compared to fine cuisine at a 4 star restaurant!

GeoffA
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Next time you drive up to see the Falls, stop by my house and you'll change your mind...

Mike P
06-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Can we start a different thread about a BOSE pissing match, and focus our energy on how we can get JBL Walkinshaw systems here (to me) in Michigan? :)

GeoffA
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
:nud: :oops: :threadjacked: :sad:

Crazy Paul your one stop shop for anything from Down Under. BUT the thread started with BOSE.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wm_caprice_005.jpg

dandragonrage
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Next time you drive up to see the Falls, stop by my house and you'll change your mind...

Next time you're in the RI area, stop by MY house and YOU'LL change YOUR mind. Combination of my own designed and built speakers and Onix from av123.com. Bose has never made a product that will compare, not the 901s, not the 601s, not anything.

GeoffA
06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Next time you're in the RI area, stop by MY house and YOU'LL change YOUR mind. Combination of my own designed and built speakers and Onix from av123.com. Bose has never made a product that will compare, not the 901s, not the 601s, not anything.

It's like my father whom would love to have a set of VR-7SE's but we all have limits. Don't forget Those BOSE 701's are from the year 1994, I've had them for 15 years. Maybe I am partial because I have had them for so long. I'd love to get a set of Mcintosh LS-360's and these are old too. There just aren't speaker stores around anymore like there use to be and I'd rather hear something in person before I buy it.

ONIX, Rocket series? Bookshelfs? never heard of them so, IF I am ever driving through MA for some ungodly reason and you see a Stryker Blue G8 pull up in your driveway Make sure you have a BIG bowl of popcorn ready cause I'm gonna watch some movies. :watch:

timg8
06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Why?

Do you think BOSE does a better job? Because I don't.

But that's just me.

I'm not a huge BOSE fan and I think there is better stuff out there, but....I think it's probably a better system than what we have in the Blaupunkt. I would hope it at least have a midrange adjustment. Additionally it looks like it would be easier to go with an aftermarket unit. I have to say I had not seen the Walkinshaw unit and it does look good.

fourthmeal
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Hmmm...let's see if I can set some people straight.

Mr. Amar Bose is a psycho-acoustics expert. Not exactly a normal speaker builder like Scan-speak, SEAS, Tympany, JM Labs (Focal), etc. Much like some people peddle on and on that you can't hear the difference between a ~128Kb/s MP3 file and a FLAC or other lossless file, the concept that I feel the man best studied was the research regarding what people think they can hear or more importantly NOT hear in a system.

The problem is that most of the research had no bearing on how music is SUPPOSED to sound. Just how it can sound. In other words, if you wish for a precise and accurate sound stage matching the original recording, BOSE doesn't make a speaker for you. Sorry.

My main issue with BOSE is that they just don't sound that good because they don't reproduce sound properly. BOSE is a great choice if you have absolutely no intent on hearing the full spectrum, however. For instance, ambient audio like that used in walkways and parks, where you need more of a laid-back, transparent background sound.

The cubes they use are woefully tiny, and it KILLS them. In fact, if you take the speaker out, and install it in a 3-4x bigger box, it sounds remotely decent. Of course, you still have the problem of the quality of drivers BOSE uses. Expect extremely high 2nd order harmonic distortion, thanks to the floppy paper cones and WEAK motors. This affects most of the BOSE lineup, unfortunately. The 201, 301's, the center channel you have, etc. The older lineup is worse, I think. Everybody I knew that was a BOSE-head recalled the supposed holy grail of BOSE's lineup as the 901. They still suck, IMO.

I think what also ends up being a disadvantage for them is that the BOSE company doesn't really focus all their effort on acoustics. They make suspensions, study cold fusion, etc. Audio is a mere fraction of their research budget.

If you want to REALLY, REALLY get real with what sounds good, visit what most of us in the audio field considers one of the finest collections of driver reviews. www.zaphaudio.com

With the knowledge contained in that site alone, you'll be on the right track very quickly.

I personally like Kef, Thiel, Mission, and Definitive Technologies speakers. Each for their own benefits.

Here's some food for thought from the great Wiki:

Bose's systems were criticized by Stereophile in 1975[43] in a review of the 901 system, stating that in the magazine's opinion, the system was unexceptional and unlikely to appeal to perfectionists with a developed taste in precise imaging, detail, and timbre, and that these shortcomings were an excessive price to pay for the improvement in impact and ambiance generated by the large proportion of reflected sound [to on-axis sound]. However, the author also stated that the system produced a more realistic resemblance of natural ambiance than any other speaker system.

Audio forums tend to talk about the non-linear frequency response of certain Bose systems. A reviewer in PC Magazine stated that he believes Bose is not a producer of high-end audio systems, because it didn't fulfill his expectations of what a high-end system should be.[44] (Widely-accepted performance characteristics of 'high-end' audio systems typically include a flat frequency response curve throughout the audible spectrum, and precise impulse response.) Audio enthusiasts frequently criticize Bose in online forums, accusing it of overpricing its products and criticizing the sound produced by Bose products. In addition, Bose does not publish specific technical specifications; and as of November 21, 2008 none of Bose's products are THX certified. However, Bose does not send their products to be evaluated for THX certification[citation needed] and Bose claims technical specifications are meaningless, since what matters most is what the listener hears.

-

Basically the idea is that if the AVERAGE JOE doesn't know any better, then BOSE is a great choice. Unfortunately, when compared head to head with other more advanced, better thought-out designs, BOSE loses the challenge.

timg8
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
It's not the BOSE system I would be after (unless it's significantly better than the Blaupunkt), but if you notice the a/c controls are not part of the head unit, I'm sure the display is integrated into the head unit but I would think someone could build a small LCD unit to go into that void space between the head and a/c controls or in the location of your choice. I haven't pulled my radio out but it appears that the head and a/c controls are integrated into one large unit.

If the radio head was separate it seems it would be easier to get something aftermarket, however, I could definitely be wrong about this.

-Ray-
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Gentlemen.
This is going to get moved to the Lounge if we can't stay on topic.
:D

dandragonrage
06-24-2009, 05:45 AM
It's not the BOSE system I would be after (unless it's significantly better than the Blaupunkt), but if you notice the a/c controls are not part of the head unit, I'm sure the display is integrated into the head unit but I would think someone could build a small LCD unit to go into that void space between the head and a/c controls or in the location of your choice. I haven't pulled my radio out but it appears that the head and a/c controls are integrated into one large unit.

If the radio head was separate it seems it would be easier to get something aftermarket, however, I could definitely be wrong about this.

This could take a lot of work. First we'll need a full wiring diagram for the heater and A/C. I don't know if I'm up to the job but I can take a peek if someone can provide that.

r33pwrd
06-24-2009, 06:21 AM
This could take a lot of work. First we'll need a full wiring diagram for the heater and A/C. I don't know if I'm up to the job but I can take a peek if someone can provide that.

Im sure if enough people where interested in doing this I could have an EE at one of my audio customers take a look at it... shuold be easy and actually one of my big name customers loves my car and offered up help on any kind of integration for it.

dandragonrage
06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Im sure if enough people where interested in doing this I could have an EE at one of my audio customers take a look at it... shuold be easy and actually one of my big name customers loves my car and offered up help on any kind of integration for it.

I think that would be good. I went to a vocational school for electronics so I know about it, but not as much as if I had gone to a university for it. (Went for computer science instead.)

But if we have to totally reverse engineer it, it'll be tougher by far. Hopefully someone can find a wiring diagram. That would at least help get someone started.