PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Shift Points? Iterator testing

TomPierce
06-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I have some old Dyno2000 and Drag2000 engine simulation software. I spend a couple hours trying to simulate a G8 (since the software has no idea about LSx engines).

I think I got pretty close with the results, so I ran the iterator testing trying to find the optimum shift points. I came up with about 6100 in all gears.

Anybody else have any different opinions?

I know there was a post about this but I think it was on the 'other' board.

GRRRR8
06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
It seems like 6250-6300 is the ticket so you can go through the traps in 3rd gear and not lose the time due to the 4th gear shift.

shane
06-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I have some old Dyno2000 and Drag2000 engine simulation software. I spend a couple hours trying to simulate a G8 (since the software has no idea about LSx engines).

I think I got pretty close with the results, so I ran the iterator testing trying to find the optimum shift points. I came up with about 6100 in all gears.

Anybody else have any different opinions?

I know there was a post about this but I think it was on the 'other' board.whats the speeds u have ur set at?

TomPierce
06-21-2009, 04:07 PM
What I have is a program that simulates a 1/4 mile run. Given info about the vehicle, engine, trans, and gears, it simulates what is theoretically should run.

The iterator testing is I can specify a range of shift points (say 5000 rpm to 6500 rpm by 500s) and the program will repeat the calculation and 'iterate' through the settings to try to find the optimum shift points for the best 1/4 mile run.

What the program comes up with is a 6100 RPM shift in all gears.

I know there was another post about shift points with different results - I can't find that post now and I was just wondering where those other results came from.

To answer your question, my current program has stock RPM and MPH shift points. (I'm working more on the tranny program now)

Mike P
06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
It would be worth a try or 3 to try shifting at 6100 rpms for a few trips down the track.... :)

What I have is a program that simulates a 1/4 mile run. Given info about the vehicle, engine, trans, and gears, it simulates what is theoretically should run.

The iterator testing is I can specify a range of shift points (say 5000 rpm to 6500 rpm by 500s) and the program will repeat the calculation and 'iterate' through the settings to try to find the optimum shift points for the best 1/4 mile run.

What the program comes up with is a 6100 RPM shift in all gears.

I know there was another post about shift points with different results - I can't find that post now and I was just wondering where those other results came from.

To answer your question, my current program has stock RPM and MPH shift points. (I'm working more on the tranny program now)

newman27
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread so I think this thread is close to my topic...

I'm new to this car (1 day!) and have only shifted manual transmissions with a clutch. I'm also used to a tach with a redline indicated. So, today I was messing around with the manual shifting on the G8 and it was quite a strange experience not having to use a clutch and not having a redline to pay attention to. I also placed the car in Sport Mode and watched the computer shift points and was surprised to see "S6" indicated at only 45 MPH. The tach routinely stayed below 2K RPM in Sport Mode. So, my newbie question is, for everyday street driving, what are good shift points through the gears?

Thanks,

Matt

Slizzo
06-25-2009, 08:18 PM
So, my newbie question is, for everyday street driving, what are good shift points through the gears?

Thanks,

Matt

Drive mode. No, seriously. :)

but if you must shift yourself, I would say for best economy 2000-2500RPM.

newman27
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Drive mode. No, seriously. :)

but if you must shift yourself, I would say for best economy 2000-2500RPM.

My other two primary vehicles have manual transmissions. I didn't want to go with a manual transmission in this vehicle but I like the idea of being able to do the shifting myself now and then for the fun of it. I'm also used to four cylinder engines which have higher shift points.

Thanks for the reply!

G8JOE
09-19-2009, 06:16 AM
What is the stock shift points on the 1st-2nd, and 2nd -3rd gears, also what is the stock red line? What is the max red line with a stock motor with a cai?

SRG963
09-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I have mine set at 6100 on the 1-2 shift and I love it. I was hitting the rev limiter sometimes set at 6200. My 2-3 and 3-4 are at 6200. Seems the engine revs quicker than the computer can react. lol