View Full Version : VMS Tuning Question

swimman
06-18-2009, 04:24 AM
I'm new to tuning and am planning on some upgrades:

Kooks LTs
Kooks x pipe
Vararam or Roto Fab
Tune

I have a question regarding the tune. I'd like to buy the VMS tune and PowerFlash cable so I can change things on the fly. However, never having tuned a car, am I going to get lost with all of the parameters that can be set? I'm sure it's not as simple as pressing a button that says tune or stock and then taking off into the wild blue yonder! I don't want to have to play with the tuning system for ages to get the tune just right.

Maybe the tune is done a different way but I want to avoid having to play with the system all the while not knowing what I am actually doing by changing certain settings - kind of like deleting or modifying files on a computer but you have no idea how it will affect its operation.

Any comments are appreciated.

fiveoh
06-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Actually it is just as simple as hitting a button that says tune or stock. You dont have to change any parameters. VMS does all that for you.

swimman
06-18-2009, 05:12 AM
So, is the only benefit to having the Powerflash cable being able to return to stock when needed?

As well, what if I decide to put in another type of CAI or do some other mod in which another tune is needed? Do I simply contact VMS and they email me the specific tune?

Blackrider
06-18-2009, 05:37 AM
So, is the only benefit to having the Powerflash cable being able to return to stock when needed?

As well, what if I decide to put in another type of CAI or do some other mod in which another tune is needed? Do I simply contact VMS and they email me the specific tune?

Yeup!

fiveoh
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM

Being able to return to stock and being able to get different tunes(i.e. when you add that cai you just email them and use your cables to upload the new tune vs waiting a week for them to mail you cables).

Devilish34
06-27-2009, 06:17 AM
You'll probably want to get a dashhawk to check your fuel trims and may have to have Kirk tweak it some since every car is different. But the cables are nice to have if you have to go to the dealer you can rest your ecm if you want or if they flash your trans you can reload the trans tune. Hopefully Kirk will get the LS scanner running soon and it will be even better.

swimman
06-27-2009, 03:34 PM
What's the LS scanner?

Devilish34
06-27-2009, 03:57 PM
What's the LS scanner?

It used for fine tuning your car but there seems to be some issues with getting it to connect to the G8. Basically you would have the powerflash connected to your car then scanner and it would record what Kirk needs to clean up any little problems. Right now for clean up I use my dash hawk and email LTFT STFT ect to Kirk so he can make the adjustments.

http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=110213&postcount=27

Steve@Vectormotorsports
06-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Actually it is just as simple as hitting a button that says tune or stock. You dont have to change any parameters. VMS does all that for you.

:bpress: X2 where you looking at the Powerflash or Flashexpress cable?