PDA

View Full Version : Best Sunday Drive Ever: DB9, M5 and CL550 Kills

christiancoach
06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
I went for a little Sunday drive to Bellevue today. Had a couple of quick stops to make. The first one was to Whole Foods to pick up a few things that I like that only they sell. As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed an Aston Martin DB9 with an empty spot next to it. I pulled in and started to get my daughter out of the back seat. As I closed the door the DB9 owner came up, game my car the once over and said, "Now that is a good looking Sedan." Through the biggest grin I think I have had in a long time I complimented him on his car. Sorry no DB9 kill.
Now for the Kills!
As I left the store and got ready to enter 405 North an E39 M5 pulled up next to me at the light. The driver was no older than 18 and I doubt that any of the 3 passengers were out of high. I would guess it was Dad's car, but in Bellevue you never know! It was immediately apparant that he wanted to show off to his buddies, but there were cars in front of us.
He got around the cars in front of us, and I got hung up for a few seconds. I had my car in Sport Mode as I finally got around the car in front of me. I mention Sport Mode because what happened next I think I have to thank Vector Motorsports for, as I never noticed this before my tune. With a medium throttle that dropped my car into S3 I got right next to the M5. My car stayed in S3 even though I was no longer in the throttle, I was maintaining about 40mph. It was awesome because as I saw the kid start to grab a lower gear, I punched it and was fully in the torque curve. I immediately got a car on him, got another half car when he shifted, and held it all the way to 110 when I got out of it. He did a flyby, but the victory was already mine. It felt really good because the E39 M5 has always been a favorite of mine.
I didn't have to wait long for the next one. As I got close to the I5 Interchange a CL550 got behind me in the carpool lane. He was stuck behind a slower car in the fast lane and jumped in behind me to get around the slower car. I was running around 65 and about a mile from the interchange. A couple of cars moved over to the right lane leaving both the carpool and the left lane wide open all the way to the interchange. I just happened to be looking in the mirror when he changed lanes and punched it. I jumped on it as soon as I saw him go for it. He had a little speed on me and got dead even along side of me. We ran neck and neck with him pulling an ever so slight advantage all the way to 130 where I think he might have hit his electronic limiter. I stayed in it for a second more, just long enough to see 140, a new top speed for me! Good thing to, the ramp was coming up really fast and I almost didn't get slowed down. It sure feels good to run with a $100,000 car!
I still can't peel the grin off my face!
:woohoo:

Ktlplxm
06-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Congrats!! It is so satisfying seeing the look on BMW and Mercedes owner's faces when that happens.

Kermit
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Great kills but please be smart with your child also in the car. I too have to remember who is with me when I'm driving. :)

majesticix
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I typically only run it to about 115 with my daughter in the back seat ;) Nice kills!

christiancoach
06-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I normally keep it slow and steady with my daughter in the car. I was a bad boy yesterday, couldn't resist.