PDA

View Full Version : Confused about subwoofer power vs 2 ohm stere or 4 ohm parallel

GR8 Vino
06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Since you guys are the experts on box installs and porting, I have a simple question for those of us looking for simple inexpensive change from factory subs and going with free air vs box. I have read on several other posts and I believe you guys were the experts explaining 2 ohm vs 4 ohm and parallel wiring. My question: How much difference is there going to be using stock amp (for the time being) and getting 2 ohm dual voice coil wired exactly like factory set up or 4 ohm dual voice coil wired parallel. Or even 2 ohm single voice coils. Good Sound vs cost and complications. I have heard several members putting in Kicker CVR8 2 ohm and 4 ohm for good free air replacement subs for factory amp. You guys are the gurus, your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I want a decent sub that could have a higher powered amp added later with out installing a boxed inclosure. And not spending $600-$1000+
:wacko: :brain:

bobyoung
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm no guru but if the amp is seeing 2 ohms it will put out the same amount of power no matter what you're using for a speaker. You will get less power from a 4 ohm load. I believe a 4 ohm dual voice coil speaker run in parallel would probably run cooler due to the power being split in two. A sealed boxed suspended speaker would require more power but sound much tighter and cleaner, if I ever change mine it will be to a sealed boxed speaker. 2nd choice for me would be ported boxes. Open air speakers have to be very good or else they will distort and eventually blow.

hondakiller
06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
You want 2 ohm single voice coil or 4 ohm dual voice coil so they can be wired to a 2 ohm load. You can't wire 2 ohm dual voice coils to a 2 ohm load. They'd end up being either 1 or 4 ohms. As far as 2 ohm and 4 ohm volume levels go, I don't think it's a big deal. When I swapped my t/a's speakers, the 4 ohm replacements were not as loud at the same volume but you could turn them up much louder without distortion so it's a wash IMO.

GR8 Vino
06-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks for info and advice. That makes more sense now. I'm trying to do this simple and basic and keep the free air sub, any advice on a good free air sub? Remember, I'm not trying to win any stereo competition, or blast my windows out, just good solid, tighter bass, than the factory crap.