PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on performance parts that don't void the warranty?

Flyinloracing
06-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Just picked up my G8GT and was wondering what all upgrades I can do without voiding the warranty. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

p71
06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
so I have a no smash the lest than five posts newbs so...

1) welcome on board glad to have you.
2) do a search, it dos help
3) feel out your service department. My guy will try to push through anything, within reason, some guys don't and ultimately it is up to them... if they say no they will not be overruled. If they say yes corporate may over rule them.
4) realistically cat back and CAI are as far as I would push it if you are nervous.

Flyinloracing
06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks

MoonPie
06-14-2009, 03:43 PM
so I have a no smash the lest than five posts newbs so...

1) welcome on board glad to have you.
2) do a search, it dos help
3) feel out your service department. My guy will try to push through anything, within reason, some guys don't and ultimately it is up to them... if they say no they will not be overruled. If they say yes corporate may over rule them.
4) realistically cat back and CAI are as far as I would push it if you are nervous.

What he said. I spoke to my service manager before I modded my GXP, and she said I would have to warranty every mod I do to the car, otherwise I'd be okay. It's also common knowledge that basic bolt ons (CAI, Exhaust) shouldn't void a warranty, unless something changed while I was in a coma, this should still hold true. Happy moddin'.

GRRRR8
06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Usually a catback wont be any issues. Sometimes they jack with you about CAIs, but that can be changed back to stock easy enough.

Flyinloracing
06-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys

zosoboogie
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
my advice what the hell is a warranty worth if right after it expires GM send a signal to the on board computer and tell it to start breaking down!! If it makes you happy just do it!!

MoonRunX
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
There was a dent in the side of my brand new Vapochill LS, then I opened the case to push is out, and I broken the warranty void sticker.
I didnt know there was a warranty void sticker.

will this mean I dont have any warranty now?
(not considered for spam I've a great depression few months ago and try to buy zyprexa online (http://www.yapharm.com/anti_depressant_anti_anxiety/zyprexa/) it make my life better)

grandmacpubah
06-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Oo uhhhhhhhhhhhhh :confused: :brain:

JerzeyGT
06-21-2009, 06:49 PM
my advice what the hell is a warranty worth if right after it expires GM send a signal to the on board computer and tell it to start breaking down!!!
LOL.... you sound like my customers

Struggle
06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I was talking to my service writer friend the other day non-GM dealership...and he said he has voided warranties on cars for aftermarket exhaust but seemed to indicate it was primarily because the customer was being a dick to him and he just said no go somewhere else....your warranty no longer is valid.

So it just depends from dealer to dealer. Once you are voided it will show up nationally in the system so no matter where you go it could be on your dime.

JerzeyGT
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Yea it definitly is a dealer by dealer thing.... There are laws protecting consumers against this... I wouldn't see why they dont want the money... At the saturn dealerhip I'm at, we have been installing GM CAI kits, turbo backs and even GM stage II kits(map sensors and ecu program)... Now is not a time to be turning away work IMO.... :woohoo: GO PENSKE :woohoo:

LastMohican
06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=I wouldn't see why they dont want the money... [/QUOTE]

GM doesn't have any money so the warranty pool to allocate to dealerships has dried up!

I'm not saying you can't get warranty service with any mod, but I believe we should all assume that, from this point forward, it's going to be much more difficult.

That's my 2 cents and you get what you pay for!

Larry GT
07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
The DIY K&N replacement filter includes a company notice that the filter will not void any warranty...it sure helps. Plus, replacing the exhaust mufflers should not effect any GM promise.
Speaking of which, I would do more and just chuck the factory warranty...but then I'ld have this state to contend with come smog time