PDA

View Full Version : Whistling noise on startup after 1k miles?

Crazy_A
06-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I have a 2009 G8 GT, stock. It now has about 1800 miles on it and I have only used premium gas. On startup, I hear a high-pitched whistling noise like something is loose. After it idles for a minute or so, the sound either goes away or is at least more quiet. This problem started around 1000 miles.

According to the dealer, they said they had 2 other G8 GT's on file that had the same problem. After replacing the pulley, belts and whatnot, (on someone else's car) they decided to let GM figure it out.

From other (non-G8) boards, I've heard that it could be a few things: a/c and primary belts, power steering pump or the alternator. In my case, the dealer said they checked the alternator and they replaced the belts on someone else's car without any success. That leaves me to believe that it could be the power steering pump OR a design problem with a lower powered alternator than they should have put on it...or something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, has anyone figured out how to fix it or at least know what's wrong with it?

grandmacpubah
06-14-2009, 07:42 AM
there's nothing wrong with it...everyone's G8 does that...it's alternator whine. The dealer will never fix it. However, if you put in an underdrive pulley as one of your mods, it goes away completely.

BlueJacket
06-14-2009, 10:55 AM
A new battery will also solve this right?

-Ray-
06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
No, the alternator just has a really good whine.

gearhead455
06-14-2009, 03:42 PM
You want some cheese with that whine? :devil:

Crazy_A
06-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I kinda figured it was normal, but this is my first V8, so there are lots of noises and idling jitters and stuff that I'm not used to. I'll look into an underdrive pulley mod.