PDA

View Full Version : converter break-in

wreckwriter
09-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Hey, my initial impressions with the converter are that I can feel a bit of surging at slow cruise and some "grabbiness" when starting out. I'm thinking this is normal and will get better as the converter wears in. Anyone have any experience with this?

Andy@Livernois
09-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I personally have never experienced that... Just out of curiousity what convertor is it? I have seen quite a few yanks have this issue, usually requiring a adjustment...

wreckwriter
09-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I personally have never experienced that... Just out of curiousity what convertor is it? I have seen quite a few yanks have this issue, usually requiring a adjustment...

Yank.

Andy@Livernois
09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I have seen some issues out of them where it actually is a lower stall then stock. We had an 05 mustang w/ a whipple, 14 lbs of boost, stage 3 heads, comp stage 1 blower cams... This car flashed the convertor @ 2200rpm, stock flashed to 2800 and it was ordered as a custom 3400 IIRC...

wreckwriter
09-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Doesn't feel like that type of thing, just feels a little grabby. Its only got about 10 miles on it though, might be partially just me getting used to it. So far I'm only a little concerned, will put a few miles on it and see what happens.

Andy@Livernois
09-12-2008, 06:59 AM
definitly keep us informed...

G8GTlawride
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey, my initial impressions with the converter are that I can feel a bit of surging at slow cruise and some "grabbiness" when starting out. I'm thinking this is normal and will get better as the converter wears in. Anyone have any experience with this?

I've had high stall speed converters before, but not on this type tranny, only the GM Turbo 400. A local company in Rockledge Fl. who built the tranny and the converter. It did not need a break in at all. Just install and mash the gas.
Maybe they're different now, I don't know. But never experienced what you are describing. All they are are large fluid cuplings, I can't see where anything needs breaking in.

Andy@Livernois
09-18-2008, 09:35 AM
any updates?

wreckwriter
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Yea, sorry. It wasn't the converter after all, Tune just needed tweaked.