PDA

View Full Version : ECM replacement

08G8V8
06-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I ordered a new ECM and had it programmed for my VIN. I just replaced it. I thought a new fresh ECM only required the crank relearn and not the security relearn?

I turned the key the first time and nothing. Got a little nervous, so I did it a few more times and then it started up.

I took it for a drive to get the coolant temperature up, and checked for DTC's using the Dashhawk, but it found no history of codes and no current codes. Do I still need to do a crank relearn if no codes are present?

Thanks

Blackrider
06-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I ordered a new ECM and had it programmed for my VIN. I just replaced it. I thought a new fresh ECM only required the crank relearn and not the security relearn?

I turned the key the first time and nothing. Got a little nervous, so I did it a few more times and then it started up.

I took it for a drive to get the coolant temperature up, and checked for DTC's using the Dashhawk, but it found no history of codes and no current codes. Do I still need to do a crank relearn if no codes are present?

Thanks

You're going to have to do both a Crank and Key Relearn.

wreckwriter
06-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Crank relearn for sure. i never had to do the security relearn.

08G8V8
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
OK. I figured I would, but I thought I would get the code. Then to verify the crank relearn was successful, the code should be gone. How do you verify the relearn was successful if you have no code to begin with?

wreckwriter
06-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Dashhawk will say so. Not sure if you use some other tool, assume same.

I think it takes awhile to throw the code; just do the relearn soon and you'll never get the code most likely.

08G8V8
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. I think I got it.

norm8332
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Feel glad you didn't need the security re-learn, it sucks.

08G8V8
06-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Feel glad you didn't need the security re-learn, it sucks.

Yeah, that would have sucked, because I wasn't expecting to have to do that so I would have had to get back online and do more searching for the proper procedure. I did get nervous when it didn't start right away.