PDA

View Full Version : Apparently a Micro Meteorite Hit My Car

Seattle09GT
06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Holy ass crackers. I've only got 1,300 miles and this morning I notice a chip in my hood the size of a freakin' nail head down to the SHEET METAL. WTF?!?

Defeater
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a G8. The most wonderful part is that THE PAINT IS UTTER SHIT.

Ours is getting repainted and we've only had it a year. You'll see why in person next Friday, most likely.

Seattle09GT
06-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a G8. The most wonderful part is that THE PAINT IS UTTER SHIT.

Ours is getting repainted and we've only had it a year. You'll see why in person next Friday, most likely.

OK, so now let me ask this, as I have the car out of the gate - would I be better off shopping for someone to shoot the car with a layer of clear coat NOW to help reinforce the lack of armor to the color coat, or is this a losing battle.

grandmacpubah
06-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I got a clear bra the third day I had the car and had the it matrix coated/paint sealed...I now have 3600 miles and not a blemish.

*edit* I highly recommend the clear bra...especially out here there are so many little rocks on the road... the paint sealant is cool, but if I had it to do again I would probably skip it and just have it detailed regularly.

Seattle09GT
06-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Are you coming next week, I'd like to see your clear bra. Thought about it last week (now hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...). Obviously now I'd need a paint repair before proceeding. CRAP.

grandmacpubah
06-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Are you coming next week, I'd like to see your clear bra. Thought about it last week (now hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...). Obviously now I'd need a paint repair before proceeding. CRAP.

yep i'll be there...you can have a professional do touch up on it and it should be fine than do the clear bra. Where did it get hit exactly?

I also recommend you get a custom cut done...some installers do templates, but they don't look as good. A custom cut will fold under the hood and fenders vs having lines there. Little more, but worth it.

*edit again lol* I know these pics are far away, but the bra is basically invisible from 5 ft away...even up close a lot of people miss it.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?p=104062#post104062

Defeater
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, you can't really tell it's there unless you're looking for it or your eyes are right on the level with it.

After I get re-painted I'll probably do both the clear bra as well as have around 5,000 layers of clearcoat put on.

Seattle09GT
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it and hearing your recommends, sounds like I need to do this sooner versus later. Damn, was hoping to spend this mod money or performance enhancements. :(

08G8V8
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I got the VentureShield clearbra. Mine was done by a mobile installer, who uses a kit, but all the edges are wrapped. I had mine installed within the first week.

The hood only goes up to the hood scoops, so it depends on where your chip is as to whether or not it would have helped you.

fcsuper
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Just for the record, unless there is a special problem some are experiencing, paint issues are industry wide right now and not limited to any particular make or model.

MissNaySimon
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Just for the record, unless there is a special problem some are experiencing, paint issues are industry wide right now and not limited to any particular make or model.

Yes, it's the great water-based crap everybody decides they want all over their cars now. I might go for an older paint color that looks similar to the MGM - probably Ford Dark Shadow Gray or something.

Defeater
06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I meant to post that as me, whatever

-Ray-
06-13-2009, 03:44 AM
I meant to post that as me, whatever

You guys crack me up. I meant to post that as me. :)

Dan's G8
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I feel you, man. I had my front fascia repainted after 4-months and 5,000 miles of driving. I'll be having the hood repainted and front fenders blended sometime in the future. :)

Defeater
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I feel you, man. I had my front fascia repainted after 4-months and 5,000 miles of driving. I'll be having the hood repainted and front fenders blended sometime in the future. :)

I wish that was all I needed... it also has been keyed along the passenger side and has mystery scratches and nicks all over the rear quarter panels and trunk lid, probably from car seat extraction. The flat area right on the lip of the trunk looks like it's covered in tally marks counting off the days of a twenty year prison sentence.

grandmacpubah
06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I think we need to find a good touch up paint service for us in the seattle area. Even if you have the clear bra it doesn't cover the whole car obviously, and the little tiny dings or chips can be done really really nicely by a good touch up guy. Anyone know of someone?

Seattle09GT
06-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I just ordered a tube of the factory touch up paint today from Seaview, it sounds like that is going to be equal long term to saying I got a box of Band-Aids to help put back together a severed artery.

Sigh.

I guess GM could screw up a wet dream given the chance.

grandmacpubah
06-13-2009, 07:41 PM
if it makes you feel any better my G35 was worse...go to some of the other car forums like lexus and infiniti and they are complaining of the same stuff. Only paint I've heard good things about still is beemer and mb.