PDA

View Full Version : hairline crack in a cylinder head... NOT a G8

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Quick question Charlie...

I have a 03 buick here with blown head gasket(s) It ran really really hot after it had a leaking intake for about a year. It is owned by a sales man here at the dealership. Sent the heads to the machine shop and they found a hairline crack inbetween two of the valves, one crack.

They say its safe to run it. Since its just between the two valves.

What do you think? Safe to run? What would longevity be?

GRRRR8
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
A hairline crack between the valves could be welded on a aluminum head, but to say leave it and do nothing cant be wise. 1. If the crack spreads and loosens the valve seat it would be really ugly. Like valve, cylinder head, cylinder wall damage ugly. I would get a set of reconditioned heads and inspect the upper plenum for warpage as its an issue and be done with it.

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, with that said, I am curious to see how this plays out. My service manager (who knows all) says just run it. I questioned his choice, and I was told not to question his integrity.

Thanks for the input. oh and it is a 3.1 and is getting a new upper plenum.

GRRRR8
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
What does he care, if it comes apart its not on his dime. In a situation like this, you pitch it to the customer how to fix it 100% correctly and if thats not in the budget then you might repair like that, BUT its now the customers issue you as you fully disclosed and documented the invoice and they signed it.

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
eh, I think now its a matter of him HAVING to be right.

Thanks, I think I <3 ya!

GRRRR8
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I am one of those "have to be right" people as well, BUT not on the customers dime. My job is to inform the customer using MAP guidelines on how to correctly maintain and repair the vehicle. Once the customer decides he/she does not want that(it cant be a safety concern or come get yo shit), now he/she understands what possible consequences are and that THEY are responsible for said decision and what if any warranty they have. Then its put it on the invoice and "have a rice day!"

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Yup, I agree... 110%. Biggest problem is that the owner of the car was standing next to my manager when he said it would be ok. If I were to overstep him and TELL the owner of the car what I believe then my job would be in jepordy. I guess I will try and find a way too "oops, did I say that" to get the word out.

Oh, BTW, you do not ALWAYS have to be right... :) sometimes it happens yaknow.

GRRRR8
06-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I am always right. I dont open my mouth unless I know. :) There are times when I could be MORE right.........but I am still right! lol

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
kinda like, You are entitled to your own opinion as long as it is the same as mine.

GRRRR8
06-12-2009, 04:44 PM
kinda like, You are entitled to your own opinion as long as it is the same as mine.

EXACTLY!! On a bad day its "if I wanted your opinion I would give it to you!" :)

-Ray-
06-13-2009, 03:29 AM
I am always right. I dont open my mouth unless I know. :) There are times when I could be MORE right.........but I am still right! lol

:D

daviddrift
11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Cylinder heads can crack especially if someone dumps cold water into the radiator in an attempt to cool off the engine. There are a lot of block sealer products out there, be sure to use products with sodium silicate in them but i advise you, to save you from future headaches, get a new Cylinder Head Gasket Set (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/head_gasket~pop.html).

616 of 933
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
This is a question about metal and cracks weather its a head or what not. Can the depth of the crack in your head not be that deep and be ground down? or drill the ends and fill weld? I have done many Aircraft intakes that way but they are thin metal stop drill the cracks and weld then rechecked for cracks.

supercharger
11-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Heads have to come off anyway to replace the gaskets. A rebuilt head is cheap insurance. He can get an acceptable core from a junk yard. Not replacing the head is a half assed repair IMHO.

BTW, if the head is cracked between the valves, wouldn't he be losing compression?

WickedMom
11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
eh. that car still has the crack in the head and now has many more thousands of miles on it. So far no further problems...

dandragonrage
11-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Having the 3100 is a problem in itself ;) I used to have a Grand Am with that engine; it's crap. Hopefully your shop guys were careful when they put the lower intake manifold back on because those things leak with the 3100s and 3400s. Had to fix that crap myself with a Fel-pro Problem Solver gasket and some good old LocTite.

Struggle
11-24-2009, 06:19 AM
The dealership I used to work at had a situation like you are talking about but with a chrysler motor and they thought they could get by with the crack and it was a total fail. Very upset customer and dealer ate the second round on the repair as well did the tech.

Never put a cracked head back on. It is a compromised part and will only fail. It cannot heal itself.