PDA

View Full Version : Rear Central Jack Point?

norm8332
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I have a large expensive jack etc. and I want to install my BMR sub frame connectors and BMR tunnel brace. I was wondering if there is a safe/sturdy central point in the rear that I could use to jack up the entire rear of the car with?

I want to jack it up and put the rear on ramps. The ramps are useless to drive onto with my slippery uneven sealed asphalt driveway, they just slide.

Thanks.

GeoffA
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Can't you just jack up from the Bell housing, or is this not practiced anymore?

norm8332
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Can't you just jack up from the Bell housing, or is this not practiced anymore?

I thought of that, but I dont know if it's strong enough. My last RWD car was all steel/iron bell housing and axle on leaf springs and it was ok on that car, but this has IRS and it doesn't look like a steel/iron housing.

Devilish34
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
No not the bell housing!!!!!

Onside at a time either on the small section of frame in front of the rear tires or or where the jack cut outs are.
I used the frame rails (what there is of a frame rail) to lift the car to rotate the tires

GeoffA
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
No not the bell housing!!!!!

Oneside at a time either on the small section of frame in front of the rear tires or or where the jack cut outs are.
I used the frame rails (what there is of a frame rail) to lift the car to rotate the tires

:target: :dodge:

wreckwriter
06-10-2009, 03:44 AM
I jack mine under the diff all the time. Hasn't broke yet............

norm8332
06-10-2009, 03:55 AM

Did you ever jack it completely w/tires off the ground? If so and you have no issues than it sounds good to me. My jack does have a rubber pad so scraping etc isn't an issue.

Thanks.

wreckwriter
06-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Did you ever jack it completely w/tires off the ground? If so and you have no issues than it sounds good to me. My jack does have a rubber pad so scraping etc isn't an issue.

Thanks.

Yea, that's how I change rear wheels. There may be reasons not to, I haven't broke mine YET :)

wreckwriter
06-10-2009, 04:01 AM
btw- ramps give enough clearance to do the BMR stuff.

norm8332
06-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Yea, that's how I change rear wheels. There may be reasons not to, I haven't broke mine YET :)

Good enough for me, I'll take my chances.:)

pokey
06-10-2009, 05:04 AM
norm8332,

As a thought...

I just did the subframe connectors and tunnel brace. I completed mine by driving onto 4 - 2x10 sections of wood I cut and laid in front of the tires to gain just a little more clearance. Then, used my jack to raise the subframe connectors into place and hold while I threaded the bolts. Finger tight the 4 "frame" bolts on the subframe connectors, removed the jack and then did the tunnel brace. I think I used the jack to raise the tunnel brace into place also.

With the car on the 2x10's it gave me just enough room laying on a piece of cardboard to reach everything. Took me a little under an hour taking my time.

wreckwriter
06-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Holding the connectors in place is a pain in the ass. I used my leg, a helper would have been much better, a jack could work too. No need for anything on the tunnel brace, just your other hand :)

PaFromFL
06-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Same here.

Devilish34
06-10-2009, 06:19 AM

I know I pm'd Charlie about this and it's not a recommended jacking point.
As my luck would be I'd break it and then would be forced to buy a diff from JHP.

Jaysin
06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
I jack mine up from the differential all the time without any issues. ***knocks on wood very loudly***

Just use a small block of wood between the jack and differential.

wreckwriter
06-10-2009, 06:40 AM
I know I pm'd Charlie about this and it's not a recommended jacking point.
As my luck would be I'd break it and then would be forced to buy a diff from JHP.

I know its not. Not recommending it, just saying I do it.

Devilish34
06-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I know its not. Not recommending it, just saying I do it.

I know we all do things we don't recommend doing.

norm8332
06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I installed the BMR subframe connectors and tunnel brace today and it was super easy.

After looking under there I noticed the rearmost point where the diff connects is very heavy duty steel welded to a subframe. That's the point I used. No problems.

I did end up just reversing up on to ramps in the end because I couldn't get it high enough, but that is a good jack point.

I did use the jack to hold the subframe up and it made it easier.

Fit was good, nice product.

Thanks for the suggestions.

TouchOfGray
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I started following this regarding the jack point, but the talk about the BMR sub frame connectors and tunnel brace have me thinking. I know from doing the cat-backs that the factory tunnel brace is pretty light. Any feed back on using the sub frame connectors with the Pedders Street II kit?

norm8332
06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I can say one thing even though I don't have the pedders. The BMR stuff did improve the feel of the car, especially at heavy throttle. It must have been flexing or twisting some before, so I think it was worth it. It feels tighter.

TouchOfGray
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds good, thanks. Hmmm, now to find a few $$$