PDA

View Full Version : Ike....Direct hit!

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 04:44 AM
It looks like Sugarland will take a direct hit by Ike. If should hit Saturday at 1AM. 500 miles wide.....so far!

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Yea, looks bad. Please make sure you and yours are battened down and safe.

Chewy
09-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Hang on tight Charlie! Maybe jump your ass in the G8 and head North West! :uhm:

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 05:05 AM
I dont know what the hell to do. I have way too much going on to deal with this shit. If you dont see me on you will know I lost power etc.

Chewy
09-11-2008, 05:07 AM
I dont know what the hell to do. I have way too much going on to deal with this shit. If you dont see me on you will know I lost power etc.

Too much to do? You need to be safe! Fuck all else! :wtf:

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 05:11 AM

Yup, if you and the family ain't safe you won't get your shit done anyway. Either shutter/board up or haul ass, time to choose is right now.

G8V8
09-11-2008, 05:11 AM

What he said!!!

G8GT594
09-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Damn man that sucks. Be safe. Get everything down and board up. What are you going to do with the G8?

RamJet
09-11-2008, 05:39 AM
You've got my address, load up what you can, jump on 10 & we'll put you up.

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys! I have everything well insured, but my tools are 250K and not the fastest thing to move or even relocate. The car will be in my garage next to the Vette. My truck is here at the shop, sure wish I had that fixed already! I guess I just hate not being in control or being controlled. Wendy is stocking up now and my parents house is like a fortress. They live.3 miles, so if it gets real bad that where I will be. I should have got a generator company as a sponsor! lol

Chewy
09-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks guys! I have everything well insured, but my tools are 250K and not the fastest thing to move or even relocate. The car will be in my garage next to the Vette. My truck is here at the shop, sure wish I had that fixed already! I guess I just hate not being in control or being controlled. Wendy is stocking up now and my parents house is like a fortress. They live.3 miles, so if it gets real bad that where I will be. I should have got a generator company as a sponsor! lol

Let me know if you need one... I'll sell it to you 5% over cost... :cool2:

It'll weld too though!

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Charle,

Ike has defied all the forecasters throughout it's track west. If it doesn't go way south of you, you need to hope that it curves NE and goes into LA. I will try to "witch" it away just as I did for FL... but don't hold your breath.

It now has an enormous wind field, which makes Ike less able to rapidly increase in intensity. Drawback is that a very large area will have heavy rain and tropical storm winds.

Stay safe. Will also keep you in our prayers.

Rob

Chewy
09-11-2008, 06:26 AM
http://www.stormpulse.com/

Steve
09-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Good luck Charlie!

Cobra
09-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Good luck, be safe!

00 Trans Ram
09-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Charlie - I live in New Orleans, and evecuated just north of the lake for both Katrina in 2005 and Gustav a few weeks ago. Don't stay. Take a vacation.

Seriously, surviving the storm is the easy part. Unless you get a tree through the roof, a tornado hits you, or the storm surge floods your house, you'll be fine. It's the aftermath that's not fun.

You could be without power for 4 weeks (I've got friends that still ahve no power after Gustav). You have a generator, but will it run your A/C (needs about 6000 watts)? What about the clothes dryer (about 5700 watts)? And the coffee maker (another 1400 watts)? You'll also lose cable service, so no TV except what you can get on the little 5" B&W rabbit-ears TV. Plasma TVs pull twice the wattage as an LCD or rear projection, so you may not be able to be cool and play video games at the same time.

Water lines can rupture, meaning that your entire county will be on a mandatory water boil order. This means you have to boil water for drinking and cooking, no automatic ice makers, and even boiling water for pets. In Jefferson Parish, they were not even allowed to flush toilets, take baths, or run water in the sinks for a week because the sewer pumps had no power.

And, all this is just INSIDE your house. Once you leave, you've got no gas stations open to buy more gas for your generator. You've got no storers open to replinish supplies like batteries, food and drinks. Restaurants won't be open, and those that are will be serving about 3 items - our local Sonic is selling hot dogs, hamburgers and fries.

Police may put a curfew on your area, meaning you can't leave the house at all, or at least during certain hours. But, that's OK, because you'll want to stay at home to pretect your generator from getting stolen.

All this, and you're cooped up in a house with the same people, day after day. Everyone is hot, cramped, bored, and edgy.

Trust me - if you can leave and go somewhere else for a week or two - DO IT!!!!!!!

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 06:50 AM
All very true. I went thru the aftermath of Andrew and Wilma, lost power for around a month each time. Very shitty living.

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 06:56 AM

I have been on this site also, one of several weather sites worth using. Blows my mind on how much work went into the graphics...

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Charlie - Don't stay. Take a vacation.

Seriously, surviving the storm is the easy part. Unless you get a tree through the roof, a tornado hits you, or the storm surge floods your house, you'll be fine. It's the aftermath that's not fun.

You could be without power for 4 weeks

Police may put a curfew on your area, meaning you can't leave the house at all, or at least during certain hours.

Trust me - if you can leave and go somewhere else for a week or two - DO IT!!!!!!!

Take your parents and head west... PLEASE!!!!!! Am sure you know all the back ways to avoid the worst traffic.

STAY SAFE - take care...

Rob

GXPaycheck
09-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Batten down the hatches and don't forget the water wings!

MANOFSTEEL69
09-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Don't quite remember where your at in relation to Galveston, but if it hits there like they're saying it might, it will flood all the way to Houston. Quick Charlie send me your go fast parts so I can keep them safe! :tigger: Just get you and yours somewhere safe Bro. Screw the dumb shit!

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Flooding is no worry here. Too many levees. Its all the other stuff. I am in no position to up and leave so I have to ride it out!

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Don't quite remember where your at in relation to Galveston, but if it hits there like they're saying it might, it will flood all the way to Houston. Quick Charlie send me your go fast parts so I can keep them safe! :tigger: Just get you and yours somewhere safe Bro. Screw the dumb shit!

I am 50ish miles from Galveston. Fort Bend County.

MANOFSTEEL69
09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Put lots of cushy stuff around the G8! But then again.......Could make a GXP appear to replace it....Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Just damage the front clip so I can do the HSV-GTS conversion! LOL

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
At least try and get enough food and water for a couple weeks.... fill your tubs.

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I have a deep freeze that has 20 frozen 1 gallon jugs, 4 bags of ice, cases of water and drinks and lots of food that wont go bad. If any of you see a red
dot on the weather channel, I said FK it and am out running it! 109mph for IKE/160+ for ITBFST!!!

Mike P
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Good luck Charlie, I hope everything will be okay. Here's to keeping electricity.....

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Will the low pressure 945+-mb affect ITBFST's performance????

Of course if the wind is at your back you may hit 185!!!!!

Rob

:spam:

TexasG8
09-11-2008, 11:18 AM
You could take a vacation and come down to my house. Since Ike is not hitting here the beach would not be a bad idea to take some time off. The water here is alot better than the beach's by you.

G8V8
09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Charlie, be careful.

SRG963
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Damn bro. I have a couple friends there in H Town. I hope everyone get's to a safe place. My suggestion? Go to Austin for a little vacation. Be sure to eat at every dive on Barton Springs road right off of S. Lamar. Romeos has the best Italian and who doesn't love Chuys. Then onto Baby A's for some ritas....man, I'm making myself hungry. I'm out.

BTW, I made the drive from east Houston to south Austin in under a hour and a half. Had the cruse set at 125 for 50 miles. Ahh, good times, good times.

PostalCherokee
09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I wish you the best. Thankfully this storm isn't a Cat 4 or 5. Shouldn't be too bad except for flooding. Will be waiting for the Ok post from you afterwards. Hopefully you won't be without power for too long. BTW, Tom I saw you mentioned Andrew, I grew up in Homestead and was there when Andrew hit! That was alot of fun....NOT!

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Yea, for sure. I was in Key Largo, we didn't even get hit but we lost our power and water lines.

It's A G8!
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Charlie you can come and stay at my house if need be.

Weldon
09-11-2008, 08:49 PM
shit charlie...just roll up to the true south for a few days...we will party it up southern style!

Chewy
09-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Looks BAD! They say it may be the worst in 108 years! :o

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Trying not to think about it. It is a monster for sure! Very calm right now..........scary!!!

Chewy
09-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Trying not to think about it. It is a monster for sure! Very calm right now..........scary!!!

They have all but completely evacuated Galveston Island. They say that any standard built homes are almost guaranteed to disappear! :bye:

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 05:24 AM
It is on every channel here. Time will tell, still sux ass! George, need a neighbor? Anybody want me for a neighbor? Anyone......

grt08g8
09-12-2008, 05:34 AM
they've headlined it as, CERTAIN DEATH ! git yourself & family out of there. Trying to out run it, sounds like fun. Good luck,be safe. :friday:

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks everyone! I will ride it out.

Chewy
09-12-2008, 07:09 AM
It is on every channel here. Time will tell, still sux ass! George, need a neighbor? Anybody want me for a neighbor? Anyone......

You could be my neighbor! Just keep the noise down at night or else...

I'll pull out my noise maker...

:cd:

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 07:28 AM
You could be my neighbor! Just keep the noise down at night or else...

I'll pull out my noise maker...

:cd:

Hell No!!! We would have no neighbors with our antics! LOL

EC-Ryder
09-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the neat web site 4gasm, one of the best I’ve seen so far. Honestly I don’t how u find out about all this neat stuff??? LOL! :clap:

Charlie I wish U the best of luck as I gather U have decided to bunker down with your family. I can’t blame U and as long as there is no threat of large bodies of water near, the probabilities are in your favor of a good outcome.

It’s funny how they never seem to publish the number of the casualty list of the people that evacuate. I’m referring to the road accidents, people that are stuck in traffic for hours without bathrooms or gas, robberies on the road as well as at the abandoned home etc. etc…But that would not be good for the travel or political industry I guess.

U can always count on me to take a different view on things eh?? :loser: LOL!

As another poster said surviving the aftermath is the challenge, so I trip to home cheapo for some extra fence posts, plywood, would be advisable as contractors probably already got their fair share and it will be difficult after, and felt tab shingles that start to fly off the roof at 85mph wind and some roofing nails if applicable, and some hand saws, plastic tarp would be my advice.

The Red Cross and National Guard should be there within 1-3 days with ice and ready meals so it’s good you already have some on hand. I have ridden many of these on different locations and assisted so its survivable, but if U hear a train in the middle of nowhere, DUCK! :hang:

But on a more somber and realistic note, you are in danger of those 24/7 LOL!

Been there done that also LOL!

But that’s just me!

Again, best of luck friend!

Cheers!

Chewy
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
You belong to a CRAP TON of forums... You find a lot of cool stuff that way!

You're welcome!

Be safe all!

It's raining here... Shitty out but NO WHERE near what ya'll are getting...

SRG963
09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Charlie...don't forget to grab an axe or chainsaw so if you do get flooded badly, you don't get stuck in the attic.

Stay safe

G8GT594
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hope Charlie is alright over there. Getting pretty fucking bad.

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
It is COMING! Unreal what is happening in Galveston and its not there yet! I know Galveston very well and seeing the water crash the seawall like that is amazing.

EC-Ryder
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
WOW!

I can't believe there's 20k+ people left there in Galveston!

What are they smoking?

Cheers!

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Hopefully better shit then I am! LMAO!

JDP G8GT
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Charlie You can totally be my neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!! God knows san antonio has to be pretty close to houston's humidity so you won't miss home too much! Sucks to think we're safe just a little to west on 10 while you guys are getting beat up... Hope you're doing well, Thoughts and Prayers!!!!

Jeff

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Its Crazy! No rain! Windy so far, but if you are watching TV like my buddies around the US, you would think I was getting hammered! So far so good. They say midnite the shit is on!

G8V8
09-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Good luck my friend. Godspeed.

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Thank Ed. I think everyone has wished it away from me. Still no rain and have power.

EcoBrick Bob
09-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Charlie,

It's lookin like the eye is going north of you!!!! I've been witchin it away as hard as I can but my karma must be taking a dump....

Keep us informed...

Rob

G8GT594
09-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Thank Ed. I think everyone has wished it away from me. Still no rain and have power.

Good.

Galveston is fucked. I cant believe they were telling the people to write there social security number on there arm if they stay. Talk about bad news right there.

GRRRR8
09-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I will Unc. I think power is gonna go anytime now! Still no rain, major wind gusts now! No storm surge and there wont be because of my location.

G8V8
09-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Charlie? Can you hear me now?

SRG963
09-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Charlie? Can you hear me now?

Pretty sure he's one of the 3 million plus without power....I wish him well.

G8GT594
09-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Yup, over 2 million people with out power, this morning they were talking about how it could up to 2 months before they get everyone online. Mainly the ones that have out of ground powerlines.

EC-Ryder
09-13-2008, 07:37 AM
GRRRR8?...GRRRR8?...

GRRRR8...This is Huston calling… …What is your situation?

Are U able to text? ….. …. …. …. ….:hmm:

Well he survived the ban and wrath of the evil empire on the g8board…:whipit:

As soon as someone hears something please post.

Our prayers and good wishes are with U and your family

Cheers!

Steve
09-13-2008, 07:40 AM
yeah charlie, if you can post an update!

Got 8?
09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I think he's alright. I got the hell out as I'm 2 blocks from the water but down the coast on Matagorda Bay. I'm back from the high country of Marble Falls, about 5 hours away. No damage and not even a drop of rain at my place.

My wife has an uncle who had power in the Alief area which is literally just up the road from Charlie, so I'm guessing he's fine but one without power. The other end of town got it the worst with the strongest winds. I'm watching the Houston stations and they have no water or electric in the Houston and surrounding areas and are on a boil water order. I hear it could be days even before water can be restored...

Good luck Charlie we're all pulling for ya...

edmanet
09-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Any word on CHarlie ???

Panther 2
09-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Charlie hope everything went well for you and yours, by the way how hard is it to put pontoons and a sail on a G8 ?

MANOFSTEEL69
09-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Ugg! I want to call him , but like you guys said I don't wanna use up any of his cell juice. Hopefully everything is well and good with all our Texan Brethren. Galveston just doesn't have any luck with I named storms. :( I saw footage that showed where I used to live on Seawall Blvd., I couldn't believe it. Mother Nature is a cruel-ass bitch that's for sure.

Got 8?
09-14-2008, 07:35 AM
If you want to know some of the situation in H-Town you can stream a live news cast from KHOU.com just go to the live link on the right side of the page...

Right now it's raining heavy in my area from the front moving in but I think it's letting up in Houston...

Got 8?
09-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Also KTRK.com