PDA

View Full Version : First Performance Installation

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 03:16 AM
I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT which has just had the 8150 update done. I want to install the roto-fab intake, the VMS 91 octane ecm & transmission tune, and the HRSK but I have several questions.

1. Does the roto-fab intake cut low rpm torque? If so, by about how much.
2. What effect does the roto-fab intake have on sound at low rpm, mid rpm, high rpm?
3. What's the difference between the 91 vs the 93 octane tune in terms of horsepower gained?

00 Trans Ram
09-11-2008, 06:59 AM
I don't think it can cut low-rpm torque. How can allowing more air into an engine reduce its efficiency?

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 07:06 AM
00 Trans Ram; More air flow due to larger airbox helps high rpm horsepower, kills low end torque some.

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT which has just had the 8150 update done. I want to install the roto-fab intake, the VMS 91 octane ecm & transmission tune, and the HRSK but I have several questions.

1. Does the roto-fab intake cut low rpm torque? If so, by about how much.
2. What effect does the roto-fab intake have on sound at low rpm, mid rpm, high rpm?
3. What's the difference between the 91 vs the 93 octane tune in terms of horsepower gained?

1. No torque loss only gained
2. Great sound and if you do my mods it sounds killer
3. Maybe a couple HP due to an extra degree of timing or 2

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks GRRRR8. I'm planning on having the VMS, R-F, AND THE HRSK (along with your modifications). I just hope the sound isn't too loud this way, at least until you get on it.

GRRRR8
09-11-2008, 08:26 AM
You will never hear it under normal cruise modes.

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info.
JB

Chewy
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
It's funny I have two vehicles... My F-150 has huge knobby tires a CAI, Granitelli(sp?) MAF and C/B twin exhaust with Flowmasters. My Saturn view is completely stock except for a drop in K&N and the removal of the air intake muffler. My G/F swears my Saturn is louder inside under WOT. You know what?? I think she's right. On the truck the CAI actually uses the stock air box which uses a filter just like most put on A/M (round) BUT it takes the stock snorkel off and you put a big hose on which sticks into the fender which is why I think the truck is quieter. The Saturns is just open where as the trucks is pointed into the fender. You should hear the Saturn when VTEC comes in... DAMN!

Anyway... Intake growl can really resonate under WOT but I think the G8 is a bit quieter so probably no issue... I'd like to find out!:o I have the CAI but no car yet...:offtopic::postwhore:

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
4GASEM;

Thanks for your input. I can see by your description that the roto-fab on the G8 is likely to be much quieter since it has a seal on the hood (makes it into an airbox) and has the snorkel down in the fender area. Good analogy.

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
4GASEM;

By the way, what's the latest on your car?

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think you're going to find either intake unpleasantly loud. In fact both types sound quite nice at WOT and sound stock at idle.

Chewy
09-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think you're going to find either intake unpleasantly loud. In fact both types sound quite nice at WOT and sound stock at idle.

I LOVE intake sound... Both my bikes have the snorkels or air box's modified in a way to hear more induction noise.

People need to hear you coming too! I had some punk kid want to race me in my Saturn after hearing me make a yellow to red light as he sat waiting for green. He heard the VTEC kick in and was all over me. Uhm... Yeah right... My 250bhp Vue against an LT1?? Uhm... NO! :stooges:

What's up with my car? You know just as much as me. No really... A perfect stranger in an airport or bus station would know just as much as me right now. NOT KIDDING! :wah:

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
WreckWriter;

Thanks for your info. Sounds like you can't tell much difference until you really step into it pretty well. That about right?

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
WreckWriter;

Thanks for your info. Sounds like you can't tell much difference until you really step into it pretty well. That about right?

That's completely right.

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
WreckWriter;

Awesome!

EcoBrick Bob
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
What's up with my car? You know just as much as me. No really... A perfect stranger in an airport or bus station would know just as much as me right now. NOT KIDDING!

Asked guy at "Casey's" about your G8.. He thinks it was shipped to Minneapolis by mistake....

Chewy
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
What's up with my car? You know just as much as me. No really... A perfect stranger in an airport or bus station would know just as much as me right now. NOT KIDDING!

Asked guy at "Casey's" about your G8.. He thinks it was shipped to Minneapolis by mistake....

Grab a slice of pizza while you were in there... I like their pizza...:banana:

lol

He's probably right!

00 Trans Ram
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
00 Trans Ram; More air flow due to larger airbox helps high rpm horsepower, kills low end torque some.

I know that's a common misconception. Kind of like the "backpressure is helpful" arguements.

Torque is the most direct measure of the power of an engine. It's even more direct than HP, as HP requires you to factor in RPM -> HP=(TQ*RPM)/5252. So, tq is a direct measurement of the engine's power.

Now, how does the engine make power? Basically, it explodes a certain amount of flammable liquids and gasses - namely, gasoline and oxygen. The more you have of each (in the right ratio), the more power you make. This is why cars with large cylinger volumes usually make more tq than ones with smaller volumes.

So, you get more power (tq) because you can fit more volatile mix in the combustion chamber. Now, what happens if you can squeeze just a bit more in there, by making sure that there are no obstructions on the intake side? You get more power.

You can see this proven on a dyno graph. You'll never see a back-to-back dyno where a lid actually REDUCED torque. It will not increase it as much as high-RPM HP, but it will not be less.

jbradsh1
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
00 TransAm;

Thanks for the clear explanation. I'm used to bikes where high flow air filters can cut bottom end torque compared with the stock airbox.
Also, I read a post where a guy had installed both the R-F CAIand another brand and felt the R-F lost some low end torque. That's where I got the idea.