PDA

View Full Version : GM Powertrain Warranty

majesticix
06-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I guess I will throw down my experience thus far with the Powertrain warranty on our G8 since my engine blew up with some small mods (still not sure the cause, will update once they begin tear down). This info is for those of you who have or plan to mod your car and what you can expect with major POWERTRAIN warranty repair, that is all.

Expect delays, big time. Beyond that, you WILL HAVE to put your car back to stock form in its entirety. I had just an intake and HSRK and the first dealer I towed it to said they would not warranty my engine (and they had no idea about my tune) because I modified the engine. They didn't even care what caused it. Perhaps you know the dealer and they are cool with it; doesn't matter when it comes to major work. They will have to get approval from GM which for my particular case required a 24 page detailed report INCLUDING pictures of the ECM calibration numbers to see if you've messed with it. Your powertrain warranty IS VOIDED if you mess with this at all.

However, we are in luck. If you load your stock tune back on, you are good to go. GM is replacing my engine under warranty. There was question from others if they could read my tune or if they can tell whether the ECM had been flashed recently, or both. Well, I reflashed mine back to stock the day before I took it in to the second dealer. They scrutinized everything up and down and I passed the test! Guess they can't read the flashes or history because I've had mine flashed 4x by New Era in the past year. Or they felt sorry for me, which I doubt.

So, for any of you who blow your engines up in the future, put everything back to stock and cross your fingers. Our engine is on national back order so I may be waiting awhile, but GM is picking up the rental fees.

Very special thanks to Mike at New Era for all his help. A part of me sorta wanted to throw an LS3 in there if they didn't warranty it, but I'd rather use that money for some more mods and food.

norm8332
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Congrats! That is good news!

grandmacpubah
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
really happy to hear it is going to work out for you...what a pain..very curious to see what caused the failure.

Reject
06-08-2009, 10:21 AM
So, for any of you who blow your engines up in the future, put everything back to stock and cross your fingers.

It's against the law for them to void your warranty due to aftermarket parts. The only thing they can deny warranty repair on is if your mods directly caused the part in question to malfunction.

sweetair
06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
congrats on the good new. Way to go.

majesticix
06-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks! I'm not sure what the law states about aftermarket parts, thankfully I didn't have to go that far, but they did deny me. This was of course one dealership. At this point I'm not sure if they will even be able to tell me why the engine failed, just how it failed. Doesn't help that the dealership that first denied me was the one who actually blew it up. No doubt they would have gotten a letter from my lawyer if this wasn't warrantied.

Reject
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks! I'm not sure what the law states about aftermarket parts, thankfully I didn't have to go that far, but they did deny me. This was of course one dealership. At this point I'm not sure if they will even be able to tell me why the engine failed, just how it failed. Doesn't help that the dealership that first denied me was the one who actually blew it up. No doubt they would have gotten a letter from my lawyer if this wasn't warrantied.

Here is some good reading about aftermarket parts and warranty coverage - http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties.

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
"Well, I reflashed mine back to stock the day before I took it in to the second dealer. They scrutinized everything up and down and I passed the test!"
I wonder how many other Red G8s with number 509 of the first 888 with blown engines are in Rochester, New York. You are one lucky guy!

r33pwrd
06-08-2009, 12:20 PM
What happen to the motor?? you say "Blew up" did it throw a rod? bend some valves? Melt a piston? I see in your sig it says seized??

Im all about mods should not void warranty but im also all about being man enough not to make a broke ass car brand pay for my bad discisions or parts...

Please dont take that comment the wrong way but you assume GM should warranty it no matter what??

majesticix
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Well I have no idea what went wrong really. I fired up the car about 2 weeks ago, went into work fine. Was going to head out for lunch, started up the car, and got a ticking noise. I decided I'd rather not drive it like this and risk doing serious damage, so I had it towed to the dealer. The dealer took one look under the hood, couldn't determine where the noise was coming from, and then proceeded to ask for oil change receipts (which I had) and telling me GM wasn't likely going to cover anything because of my aftermarket parts. He said there would be a $100+ fee to take a look at it if the warranty wouldn't cover it. So I said go ahead. I get a call about 30 minutes later telling me that my engine seized and something shot out.

They couldn't tell me what shot out or where it went. They then told me it would be $400+ to dive into the engine and see what was up if warranty wouldn't cover it. His service manager was out for the week, so he said I'd have to wait until Monday for them to decide on warranty work. Monday came around, and GM filed bankruptcy. At that point, hell broke loose. Large warranty repairs for any GM were having troubles, or so I was told by the dealer. They told me they would not warranty my car and told me to tow it back to the dealer I bought it from. So I came into the dealer with a ticking noise and came back with a seized engine. Also, as I was towing the car out of the dealership that turned me down, oil started leaking off the shortblock. Had no leak problems before the dealership even during tow.

So, before I brought it back to my purchasing dealer who was 90 miles away, I had New Era put this back to stock. They took a look at the car briefly just to see if there was anything blatant. From their initial look without major tear down, it appears my head gasket blew because I have 0 anti-freeze and they could see some of it on the heads.

So, right now, I don't know what happened. I had an intake and tune. The ticking noise came when I started up the car after 13000 miles with no problems. Highly doubtful either had a hand in this, but who knows. I would understand if I blew it at the track or if I drove it with a check engine light on for a few days. If tune or intake did play a part in the failure, I don't believe GM should warranty it. The fact that I was treated like crap and told they would not warranty anything, without even telling me what the problem was, and after THE DEALERSHIP destroyed my engine, I was a bit pissed. They should have pushed it in there...who knows if they revved it up or drove it around the lot. They said they tried to back it in and then kablewie!

What they should have done is not driven the car, begin tear down to figure out what was making the ticking noise, and then determine if it was a result of the mods or a faulty part from the factory. I may have been looking at a $1000ish bill instead of a new short block at the least. Either way the dealer I first dealt with did a poor job handling my case.

I'll keep you all posted on what exactly happened to the engine, once it comes in.

Reject
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
What happen to the motor?? you say "Blew up" did it throw a rod? bend some valves? Melt a piston? I see in your sig it says seized??

Im all about mods should not void warranty but im also all about being man enough not to make a broke ass car brand pay for my bad discisions or parts...

Please dont take that comment the wrong way but you assume GM should warranty it no matter what??

There is no possible way an intake and tune would cause an engine to seize unless the tune was crap and leaned the car out too much, but with the way some dealers try to deny warranty work for the smallest reason, it's better to be cautious...

I had a 2001 WS6 TA with 436 RWHP and never had a single problem getting warranty work preformed. Everyone at the dealer wanted to know what I had done and loved the car. They even wanted to put it on display in the show room, but I declined the offer.

BigRob
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
wow, thats scary, but i suppose i know where we stand with tunes and the like. better hold on to the stock airboxes!! did you notice the motor was heating up w/0 antifreeze?

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Yep, I would like to know the specifics myself. Would be interested to know how much coolant in the oil. I would get an oil report for metal in the oil. It "threw" something in the engine, a rod? Interested to know what the temp guage was doing as well. And I would sure as heck check to see if the oil pump failed. Did the "Buy A New Engine Light" come on? BUT should not of all this data be available on electrons in the "little black box."?

r33pwrd
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
There is no possible way an intake and tune would cause an engine to seize unless the tune was crap and leaned the car out too much, but with the way some dealers try to deny warranty work for the smallest reason, it's better to be cautious...

I had a 2001 WS6 TA with 436 RWHP and never had a single problem getting warranty work preformed. Everyone at the dealer wanted to know what I had done and loved the car. They even wanted to put it on display in the show room, but I declined the offer.

Im sorry but a tune can cause MAJOR issues... not saying thats the case but a tune can destroy a motor in more ways than one! (been there done that many times working with Motec) Again not blaiming the tune, and the fact that a reputable company did the tune I doubt it is the issue.

And im in the same boat as you... my dealership loves my car and want to know how to get the vararam so they can sell them :)

EcoBrick Bob
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Did you remove your CAI before sending it to your purchasing dealer?

When I had my oil leak resulting in a new pan gasket, the selling dealer noticed that my h-pipe was leaking at the weld on top! Only mod I didn't reverse... GM & dlr refused to install Mobil 1 (what was in engine) unless I provided, or paid for the complete oil change... ($100.+ in Naples). My offer to pay the difference between Mobil 1 & stock oil was rejected.

r33pwrd
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Yep, I would like to know the specifics myself. Would be interested to know how much coolant in the oil. I would get an oil report for metal in the oil. It "threw" something in the engine, a rod? Interested to know what the temp guage was doing as well. And I would sure as heck check to see if the oil pump failed. Did the "Buy A New Engine Light" come on? BUT should not of all this data be available on electrons in the "little black box."?

to me oil pump failure would not cause the motor to drink coolant.

I wonder if you lost a crank / rod bearing and it took out a cyliner wall??

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
to me oil pump failure would not cause the motor to drink coolant.

I wonder if you lost a crank / rod bearing and it took out a cyliner wall??

If the engine dropped oil pressure could cause a lot of things to happen.

norm8332
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think it was the tune. I think it was a defect. These things happen.

-Ray-
06-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Congrats on getting it repaired.

majesticix
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I ran the tune for well over 6 months, and even did some drag racing. The tune was recently adjusted about a month and a half prior to this problem, but again, Mike is a damn good tuner so I don't doubt his expertise.

The car went completely bone stock when I brought it to the purchasing dealer, went back to OEM airbox, even put the intake cover back on and the engine cover. Again, there was no indication of overheating, reduced oil pressure, no leaks. Nothing. Oil was changed about 2-3000 miles before (twice total for the life of the car) I'm pretty anal with my car and the slightest squeak gets me irritated. Onstar did a diagnostic test...nada. I didn't even drive it to the dealer so as to not make a bad situation, worse.

I'm thinking either factory defect or the manifold bolt being drilled out was the problem. The bolt was drilled out by a GM dealer and I saw all the port holes sealed off on the heads before he drilled, so I can't imagine any pieces got in when he drilled, but they did do the job a week and a half prior to this happening...so who knows. They had a very good technician work on it so I'd be surprised if they did screw something up, but it is a strange coincidence.

Slizzo
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Did you remove your CAI before sending it to your purchasing dealer?

When I had my oil leak resulting in a new pan gasket, the selling dealer noticed that my h-pipe was leaking at the weld on top! Only mod I didn't reverse... GM & dlr refused to install Mobil 1 (what was in engine) unless I provided, or paid for the complete oil change... ($100.+ in Naples). My offer to pay the difference between Mobil 1 & stock oil was rejected.

Naples. Beautiful town, but man, there are some real asshats there.... :)

Sorry to hear about the motor majestic; good to hear about the fact that your selling dealer is going to help you out.

majesticix
06-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Just thought I would update you all. It appears there are NO engines, anywhere. They will actually have to build one for me. So now, the Zone Rep is asking for oil change receipts (which luckily I have). We aren't sure where they are going with this, but doesn't look like I'm out of the woods yet.

r33pwrd
06-10-2009, 06:27 AM
That sucks about not being able to get a motor... When you say "they will actually have to build one for me" are you talking GM or the dealership??

majesticix
06-10-2009, 06:28 AM
GM I believe by they way the service manager said "they would have to build"...when he calls back maybe I'll slip in that they could always throw an LS3 in there and I'll pay the difference :)

EDIT: I should have word back within 48 hours what they are going to do.

Greg@PacePerformance
06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Most of the engine plants have been shut down among other plants. Inventory is very low on many many parts. I am sure it will get worse once the assembly plants start back up and they require all the remaining parts.

LS3's are getting very limited also. There were only 11 at the warehouse the other day when I ordered one for a customer.

majesticix
06-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Any idea what the price difference is between the L76 and LS3? I don't think there is any chance of them putting one in if I offered to cover the additional cost, but I would be curious to know.

WickedMom
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I doubt that the dealership would do that, just from experience.

I also have had a hell of a time getting driveline hard parts, I have a Enclave here with a internal tranny issue that GM wants the trans replaced for and I cant get one for over a week.

RobA300
06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Putting an LS3 in would be great, but I doubt there is any way a dealer would do this and all the other work to get it running right. I know the LS3 will fit in there and you can get everything tuned, but for the dealer to do this would be above and beyond the warranty work they would get paid for. If they deny the warranty for the engine, get an LS3 and take it to New Era.

Hope it all works out.

majesticix
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe I should have replaced the GT badges with some GXP badges before I dropped the car off ;)

55belairgasser
06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe I should have replaced the GT badges with some GXP badges before I dropped the car off ;)

Tell the second dealer that when the first dealer checked out the car and locked it up the thing that flew out was the .2 liters. You came in with a 6.2 and left with a 6.0!:poof:-Lance

WickedMom
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Tell the second dealer that when the first dealer checked out the car and locked it up the thing that flew out was the .2 liters. You came in with a 6.2 and left with a 6.0!:poof:-Lance

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, cause we are that lame... (if it says GXP then it must be a GXP even tho it doesnt look like a GXP)

hahah..

Yaknow, after thinking about it.... sometimes when a dealer rejects a warranty concern they will email the district manager who will in turn email all surrounding dealerships to be on the look out for a problem child.
We get stuff like that all the time with enterprise rental cars.

majesticix
06-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Those pesky .2L....

Yeah the first dealer didn't file any paperwork at all it doesn't appear. They simply looked at the car, blew it up, and handed my keys back. Also helps that my purchasing dealer is in another city outside their district, and dislikes the first dealer I took it too. I should hear back today about what they plan to do as far as the engine. I'm thinking they should just rip an engine out of a G8 on the lot. Sure beats GM paying $275/week for my rental car waiting around...I've already racked up $550 in rental fees alone :)

Reject
06-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Those pesky .2L....

Yeah the first dealer didn't file any paperwork at all it doesn't appear. They simply looked at the car, blew it up, and handed my keys back. Also helps that my purchasing dealer is in another city outside their district, and dislikes the first dealer I took it too. I should hear back today about what they plan to do as far as the engine. I'm thinking they should just rip an engine out of a G8 on the lot. Sure beats GM paying $275/week for my rental car waiting around...I've already racked up $550 in rental fees alone :)

If it were me, that car would have never left the dealer that blew it up until it was in 100% drivable / showroom condition.

fiveoh
06-11-2009, 04:53 AM
What kind of rental did they give you?

majesticix
06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
First I had a Mitsubishi Raider truck at the first dealer, now I am in a Pontiac G6.

NickFormicola
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
If it were me, that car would have never left the dealer that blew it up until it was in 100% drivable / showroom condition.

Quoted for truth.

Not only that, but I would have went back there and WATCHED them fix it/breathe over their shoulders. :spank:

majesticix
06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Unfortunately if I had left it there, I would have been screwed by GM with the tune. At least this way I am able to get warranty repair. No way I would have passed the calibration inspection if I hadn't flashed back to stock.

BigV8
06-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Glad things are looking up. I wonder about the cam timing chain tensioners falling apart like Charlie and the others with cam swaps say are happening?

majesticix
06-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Final Word on everything, PLEASE READ:

I was extremely lucky to have my car warrantied. They wouldn't tell me anything, but my father brought some food in for the service team after they finished up on my car. Apparently they were very close to being rejected by GM because although the codes were all there, they were not in correct sequence (whatever that means, I'm sure you tuners know better than I).

***So, Flashing back to stock may not guarantee you service on major work.***

The failure was the rod cap sheared off, right at the bolts. They replaced my engine almost entirely, everything but the intake manifold, built special for my car. Cost came to just under $10,000 for GM. Ouch. I guess I'm inclined to buy another GM car after this so long as I don't go throwing another rod.

Hope this doesn't happen to any of you modders, if it does, I hope you know some people. :)

SRG963
06-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Hope this doesn't happen to any of you modders, if it does, I hope you know some people. :)

Or be prepared to buy the service team steak dinners, lol.

fiveoh
06-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Final Word on everything, PLEASE READ:

I was extremely lucky to have my car warrantied. They wouldn't tell me anything, but my father brought some food in for the service team after they finished up on my car. Apparently they were very close to being rejected by GM because although the codes were all there, they were not in correct sequence (whatever that means, I'm sure you tuners know better than I).

***So, Flashing back to stock may not guarantee you service on major work.***

The failure was the rod cap sheared off, right at the bolts. They replaced my engine almost entirely, everything but the intake manifold, built special for my car. Cost came to just under $10,000 for GM. Ouch. I guess I'm inclined to buy another GM car after this so long as I don't go throwing another rod.

Interesting. Glad you got it fixed. Did you ever find out if it was a truck motor or not? I keep telling myself I'm not going to do headers so I can put my car back to stock easily but maybe not.

majesticix
06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
It was an '09 G8 motor. Apparently a few minor things were shuffled around a bit. I guess some slight fitment issues that differed from the '08 builds.

Gonewild
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow, this thread is like reading a novel haha. Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I hope no one else has to go through all that crap

majesticix
08-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah it was not fun...though the new engine appears to be a bit more potent than my old. New Era picked up an extra 10 horses and about 6 lbs of torque on the dyno vs my old engine...and I've only got about 1400 miles on the new engine.

Night Train
08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
So, you can be screwed just for having any mods? I understand that if someone puts some extra hp through some bolt on and wads the tranny, that is one thing. But, I am not understanding how a dealer can blame a CAI and tune on an engine blowing up? If that is the case, imma just put my car back to stock and leave it as it is.

sweetair
08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
The shop foreman at my dealer, who I know well, has told me exactly what is being said here. If you do a tune, they can tell because the numbers are not in the "correct" order.

Having said that........my contact has told me a CAI and exhaust are fine. Not to worry about even removing it. Change the software, AKA a TUNE....warranty on the motor or trans. can be a big problem.

I am glad all worked out well here. In having the tranny issues I have had, there is no tune for me right now. This is my DD, my "toy" is something different, out of warranty, and totally modded.

MitsukiGT
08-03-2009, 08:24 AM
The shop foreman at my dealer, who I know well, has told me exactly what is being said here. If you do a tune, they can tell because the numbers are not in the "correct" order.

Having said that........my contact has told me a CAI and exhaust are fine. Not to worry about even removing it. Change the software, AKA a TUNE....warranty on the motor or trans. can be a big problem.

I am glad all worked out well here. In having the tranny issues I have had, there is no tune for me right now. This is my DD, my "toy" is something different, out of warranty, and totally modded.

Do we know if any tunes available put the numbers back in the "correct" order?

What if I buy a new ECM and mod just that (keeping the original untouched), could they still tell the TCM was flashed?

Night Train
08-03-2009, 08:53 AM

What if I buy a new ECM and mod just that (keeping the original untouched), could they still tell the TCM was flashed?

Good question. What is the answer, if at all? What about these tunes that are "undetectable" Do they exist? :confused:

polo
08-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Livernois makes one that they say is undetectable, but has anyone verified this with a dealer to see if it is truly invisible?

majesticix
08-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah they detected my tune even after putting it to stock. I'd be interested to know if Vector's invisible tune can still be detected. I was lucky(?) that the rod cap sheared off and that the head gasket didn't blow. If I had a blown head gasket, they could have used the tune against me me thinks. Under my circumstances, there was no way they could really blame a tune for this as far as I know. Definitely a manufacturer defect.

MitsukiGT
08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Livernois makes one that they say is undetectable, but has anyone verified this with a dealer to see if it is truly invisible?

I hope so as I want to take my car to them next month.

polo
08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I received this email from Livernois:

The only thing the Dealerships can detect is a special code embedded within the calibration. Our undetectable tune option retains this special code. We have the same tools here that the dealers use to "detect" tunes. We have done it here, it works, we have taken car's to dealers to test it, it worked flawlessly. We have done numerous cars with this option, and not one has ever had an issue with the dealer when they checked for tunes.

With their current technology, the tune is 100% undetectable. We have a close working relationship with many of the local dealers and they've even tested it for us and could not see that the vehicle was ever tuned. With that said, that is today's technology. No one can say what else they will come up with tomorrow, so there is no way to infinitely guarantee it.vv

Night Train
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Interesting. I wonder what happens if one has already done a Tune with Superchips or other handheld tuner or a regular tune? If one were to switch to a Livernois tune, an undetectable tune for the extra cost, can they detect the old one??

polo
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Interesting. I wonder what happens if one has already done a Tune with Superchips or other handheld tuner or a regular tune? If one were to switch to a Livernois tune, an undetectable tune for the extra cost, can they detect the old one??

I'll email Rick and see what he says

Livernois Motorsports
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM

As long as you flash it back to stock with that tuner, it should revert back to the factory code. I have not used the Superchips personally, so you may want to verify this with them.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

MitsukiGT
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
What I am still unclear on is what the OP said about the numbers out of sequence. The OP stated he flashed back to stock, so the numbers match, but however they are being stored they were out of sequence.

Have you tested this condition?

While we are on the subject, if I have lt headers installed by you guys what would it cost to swap it back to stock if I find myself in a similar situation?

Night Train
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

As long as you flash it back to stock with that tuner, it should revert back to the factory code. I have not used the Superchips personally, so you may want to verify this with them.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

Thank you both!

majesticix
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
As long as you flash it back to stock with that tuner, it should revert back to the factory code.

Doesn't appear to do that in my case as Mike at New Era who tuned the car flashed it back to stock and the numbers were out of sequence. It may only work if you start your tuning with Livernois or VMS stealth. New Era uses HPTuners.

Night Train
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Doesn't appear to do that in my case as Mike at New Era who tuned the car flashed it back to stock and the numbers were out of sequence. It may only work if you start your tuning with Livernois or VMS stealth. New Era uses HPTuners.

Ah shit.... I gotta pray nothing goes wrong.

sweetair
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM

What if I buy a new ECM and mod just that (keeping the original untouched), could they still tell the TCM was flashed?What my contact told me was to do this. Have a second ECM that was stock and put it in if there was a problem.

majesticix
08-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Just make sure you don't mess with the TCM. I bet they check that as well, and it isn't nearly as easy to swap out as the ECM from what I hear.

Night Train
08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
So. how does one get a new ECM? Aren't they VIN specific and wouldn't GM have a record of you getting a second one? Sorry, I am new to car mods.

sweetair
08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
So. how does one get a new ECM? Aren't they VIN specific and wouldn't GM have a record of you getting a second one? Sorry, I am new to car mods.Now you are asking good questions.

polo
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Now you are asking good questions.

and I guarantee you that someone down the road is going to benefit greatly from this particular thread.

MitsukiGT
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Well you would mod the new ECM and from what I understand they can make the new ECM look like your original to the car, which is all that is important.

As for the TCM you would have to prey they don't check it.

But from what I have read, why tune it at all if you don't mess with the TCM?

polo
08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Well you would mod the new ECM and from what I understand they can make the new ECM look like your original to the car, which is all that is important.

As for the TCM you would have to prey they don't check it.

But from what I have read, why tune it at all if you don't mess with the TCM?

Yeah, the TCM is main reason I want the tune. GM should either release an updated tune that fixes the issues with this transmission, or let us get an aftermarket tune and not void the warranty. I have GM's most recent updates, and it still sucks.
The only reason I'm searching for a tune is because GM can't get it right. I shouldn't have to go out and find a tune to fix the tranny problems on a brand new car. Isn't that GM's responsibility to fix the issues with the transmission?
I can see having to get a tune if you want more horsepower, or firmer shifts, but not because the tranny can't decide on which gear to shift down to, or because it takes wayyy to long to downshift.

majesticix
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
GM did have another update sent out for the ECM/TCM. They loaded another one on when I got my new engine (I had mine updated last year). It was dramatically better than what I had before. Just make sure you have the latest update. It wasn't as aggressive as my tune, but I thought it did a fairly decent job. I guess after driving on the original GM tune, it doesn't take much to impress lol. It was really bad from the start.

zepcom
08-04-2009, 04:53 AM
GM did have another update sent out for the ECM/TCM. They loaded another one on when I got my new engine (I had mine updated last year). It was dramatically better than what I had before. Just make sure you have the latest update. It wasn't as aggressive as my tune, but I thought it did a fairly decent job. I guess after driving on the original GM tune, it doesn't take much to impress lol. It was really bad from the start.

So Majesticix -- are you now sticking to "factory stock" tunes on both ECM and TCM now that you have the new engine? Curious as to if your experience and "skating by just barely" on the warrantee, from what I've read, has changed your viewpoints on the topic of tuning verses reliability/warrantee.

08G8V8
08-04-2009, 05:05 AM
So Majesticix -- are you now sticking to "factory stock" tunes on both ECM and TCM now that you have the new engine? Curious as to if your experience and "skating by just barely" on the warrantee, from what I've read, has changed your viewpoints on the topic of tuning verses reliability/warrantee.

I don't think so:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=123791&postcount=45

majesticix
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
hahaha. Yeah I guess I didn't learn much. lol

If I had destroyed the engine as a result of my mods, I wouldn't have touched anything. Since this turned out to be a freak failure, I bet my chips that it wouldn't happen again. One can only hope :)

I basically just wanted to post my experience so people know what they are getting into. Since I have quite a bit of family in the automotive business, I figured I am safer than others if I do run into another issue. Plus the car was just so much fun after New Era had their way with it. The problem lies with that. If you've never experienced what a good tune will do, and you're worried about warranty issues, then I'd say play it safe and leave your car alone. Ignorance is bliss.

majesticix
08-04-2009, 09:16 AM
It also helps having very knowledgeable people (New Era) nearby to assess any aftermarket problems you encounter.

Night Train
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I appreciate you posting up your experience. It's the way we learn about our vehicle... Our experiences and other's experiences. Glad to hear that it worked out.

G VIII
08-04-2009, 05:13 PM

i know these were posted awhile back, but that's some funny stuff right thar...:cheers:

majesticix
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
lol totally forgot about that

Quietpro
08-07-2009, 10:28 PM
There was talk about buying a second ECM to avoid losing the factory coding (in the case of a warranty claim). Has anyone checked on the pricing of this? I assume it isn't very cheap so it's probably little more than a really expensive insurance policy that isn't a guaranteed remedy. Sound about right?

wnt2gofst
10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
only problem i see with buying another ecm is that if tehy dig enough tehy will know it isnt teh one that came with your car. Alot of computers track when it is unplugged how long it was and when it was plugged back in. mayeb gm isnt this high speed yet. i do know they store all the flashes though. as when it was flashed. And from my experiance i have seen it go both ways with dealing with blown engines. them blaming it on the tune saying it is teh reason why it blew.

j_j
10-07-2009, 06:24 AM
As for using HP Tuners. If you have your stock file and make sure use the write entire shouldn't this still work? Since during the write entire it puts the os and everything back into the pcm. I can see how it would not work if you use the write calibration only but was jsut wondering if anyone had input on this and why it would be different?

loveloai
06-18-2010, 05:39 AM
For all the people with new un-moded cars,

Just remove the stock ECM and put it some where safe in your garage.
Go buy another one and flash whatever tune you want in there.

In case of any failure just switch back to the old ECM and go to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty.

jrc1122
06-18-2010, 06:18 AM
back from the dead.. lol