PDA

View Full Version : Not too late for the G8?

95_9C1
06-08-2009, 06:44 AM
GM ponders rebranding:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090608/ANA03/306089931/1197

Not too late for the G8? GM ponders rebranding

Automotive News
June 8, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

Pontiac is toast at the end of the 2010 model year. But the Pontiac G8 sedan might survive with another GM badge, says Tom Stephens, General Motors' vice chairman of global product development.

"I know there's still discussions on it," says Stephens. "But Chevrolet already has several sedans. How many sedans do you need to cover the waterfront?"
The G8, engineered and assembled by GM subsidiary Holden in Australia, has been a bright spot for Pontiac. With little advertising support, the sporty, rear-drive sedan, which starts at $29,000 including freight, has sold well. Some versions have the same V-8 engine as the Chevrolet Corvette.
Some enthusiasts are lobbying GM to turn the G8 into a Chevrolet Impala SS. The current front-drive Impala SS is being phased out at the end of the 2009 model year.
The G8 also could morph into a performance sedan for Buick. Buick has not had a rear-drive performance car since the mid-1980s.

ashaal
06-08-2009, 09:00 AM
After months of rumor and hearsay I will try not to get too excited about this....

norm8332
06-08-2009, 09:06 AM
A Buick would make more sense because of it's popularity in the huge Chinese market.

Reject
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
So do we believe the CEO of GM that says there is no chance in hell, or do we believe Vice Chairman of GM? :secret:

Chewy
06-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Ask our president... He's the guy in charge now...

Mike P
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
They should definitely keep the G8 in the Chevrolet lineup. People are going to want the Impala as a FWD and the G8 could be the RWD alternative, seems like a good decision.

Do it GM!!! :)

grandmacpubah
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
BUICK BUICK... if it were buick it would have some nicer appointments than a chevy...I'm just saying....

sweetair
06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
My sources @ GM have stated that it will probably go to Buick.

NYG8GT
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I say keep the Impala as the sensible fwd V6 sedan, and bring the G8 over as a Malibu with the V6 and make the V8 version the Chevelle, and a Chevelle SS with the LS3 :D

Reject
06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
The current impala is a huge POS. I think the G8 would be the perfect replacement for it. The only people that buy the current Impalas are rental car agencies or fleet vehicles.

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM
BUICK, this car screams Roadmaster BUT if all else fails, and it becomes a Heavy Chevy, I guess it is better than calling it gone

Hessian
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I can not stand the image of the Impala - especially around here. They "thump" down the road on 22's.

Buick needs something exciting in their lineup. I am hoping it goes there.

ashaal
06-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I am totally split on this one:

I really dig the idea of making it a Buick GN/GNX, I think that is a better fit for type of car that it is and should be, but I would be willing to bet even money that it will not sell much better with a Buick Badge than it is currently selling with a Pontiac Badge. I say this because I don't think GM will put the advertising money in it to make it successful. However, it could help transition Buick to a broader crowd the way that the CTS did a few years ago. Risky though....50/50 that GM will screw it up.

If it became the Impala it would be an almost guaranteed success (see NASCAR connection previously mentioned) but what is GM's margin on the current Impalas made here vs. importing the G8 from AUS. Probably wouldn't be smart to take one of your better selling vehicles and reduce its profit by importing it. (Side note: Having people think I drive an Impala would be almost as annoying as people thinking I drive a G6!!!)

That being said I think GM should grow a pair and make it the GN/GNX hire the people doing the current Lincoln MKZ or CTS commercials and give them tons of money to make it a sucess.

Sorry for rambling I am bored and thought I would give my 2 cents

01350ta
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I think it would sell very well as a Chevy. Iam a little bias but i would love to see it as a Holden.

pha|anx
06-08-2009, 05:17 PM
A Buick would make more sense because of it's popularity in the huge Chinese market.

Buick in China already has a Zeta car in the Park Avenue (http://www.buick.com.cn/parkavenue/index.aspx). I believe it's the Holden Statesmen (http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Statesman). I'd love the G8 to carry on, on our shores as anything really. as much as I want it to be the next Impala, I'd be afraid to see it wind up in Police duty... gah

:huh:

Hessian
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Buick in China already has a Zeta car in the Park Avenue (http://www.buick.com.cn/parkavenue/index.aspx). I believe it's the Holden Statesmen (http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Statesman). I'd love the G8 to carry on, on our shores as anything really. as much as I want it to be the next Impala, I'd be afraid to see it wind up in Police duty... gah

:huh:

You mean like this:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6506281/auto-news/back-in-black-pontiac-g8-could-live-on-as-chevy-badged-cop-car/photo_01.html

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
eep the current Impala (FWD) for our friends in the north. Go with the G-8 as a step up car to sell 35 to 40 thousand units per year. And yes, market the car. Lets see, motor oil commercials, saw the GXP on the back page (full page) of I think Auto week, pace car at Watkins Glen, Aussies coming to California, need to keep it up with selective marketing to a specific buying segment.

pha|anx
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
You mean like this:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6506281/auto-news/back-in-black-pontiac-g8-could-live-on-as-chevy-badged-cop-car/photo_01.html

yes, only as a newly minted Chevy I'm sure for Police duty there'd be a million zillion units sold to drop the value of the platform through the floor... worse than fleet sales to rental companies IMO

bjrbm13
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I think it would sell very well as a Chevy. Iam a little bias but i would love to see it as a Holden.

Mr Penske do you read this....????

R.Penguin
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
"GM ponders rebranding"

Pardon my french but FUCK GM! If Holden wants to sell the car in the US they will. They market world-wide now and have forever. They probably don't want any more help from GM, who did such a dazzling job in 2008, 2009.

HOLDEN FTW! And, in case I forgot......FUCK GM with a crooked broom handle! :p

GM should go ponder it's dick. Since it stepped on it so bad.

Other than that, I'm kinda neutral on the subject. :rofl:

Panzer Leader
06-09-2009, 04:07 AM
"GM ponders rebranding"

Pardon my french but FUCK GM! If Holden wants to sell the car in the US they will. They market world-wide now and have forever. They probably don't want any more help from GM, who did such a dazzling job in 2008, 2009.

HOLDEN FTW! And, in case I forgot......FUCK GM with a crooked broom handle! :p

GM should go ponder it's dick. Since it stepped on it so bad.

Other than that, I'm kinda neutral on the subject. :rofl:

Gee Penquin tell us how you really feel.

99-LS1-SS
06-09-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't care which way they go as long as they keep making the car. The badge is totally irrelevant to me. I know I drive a Holden and I tell people that any knowledge of cars that if they ask about it.

55belairgasser
06-09-2009, 05:34 AM
I don't care which way they go as long as they keep making the car. The badge is totally irrelevant to me. I know I drive a Holden and I tell people that any knowledge of cars that if they ask about it.

+100000000...ect. I am a die hard chevy buyer, I have owed chevys since I was 16 and I am looking at the G8 because it is a GREAT car! I would buy it with any badge, but it would be nice with a Aussie badge. - Lance

GRRRR8
06-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Same here. I didnt buy it because it was a Pontiac. I bought it for the drivetrain and how it looked.

zosoboogie
06-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Chevy impala get my vote!

-Ray-
06-09-2009, 06:44 AM
I already have my G8, so I really don't care if they make it a Chevy. If it's an Impala, shouldn't it be built here?

EcoBrick Bob
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
"Autoweek's" NewsBreak today verifies that GM will likely replace the current Impala SS with a version of the rear drive G8. My Bet is it will be built in N.A.

If all goes well with Chrysler's bondholders, maybe GM bosses will get the kahunas to stand up and build what we want!!!!

The battle is raging and we are all in it whether we like it or not....

ashaal
06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Holy shit....I think the Penguin is going to blow up GM....

R.Penguin
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Gee Penquin tell us how you really feel.
Huh! I thought I just did! :p

R.Penguin
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Same here. I didnt buy it because it was a Pontiac. I bought it for the drivetrain and how it looked.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about. :p

R.Penguin
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
That's it exactly Brandon!

The really important thing to me is that if they (GM) decides to keep the car alive, that they allow the people that know how to build it, build it. :footstomp:

R.Penguin
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I already have my G8, so I really don't care if they make it a Chevy. If it's an Impala, shouldn't it be built here?
Well, if they make it a Chevy Whatever.....and build it here, that's what it will be, an American made Chevy. And when was the last time you can remember that GM got that right? I get the impression that many of us have not really looked at how the G8 is built by the Aussies. Maybe not all of us have 50 years of car ownership.

Point is, the Oz G8 is built with pride, and attention to detail that you will NOT find in many American built cars.

No doubt all of the folks that have had a problem with the G8 will scream with outrage. Giveth not a shit, do I. I have owned a 2008 & a 2009 G8 GT, and I have survived a rather serious crash in the '08. 2 weeks after the accident, the totaled '08 still had body integrity. All 4 doors opened & closed perfectly, as did the trunk. The car also started with a flick of the key the 3 times I tried it. The '09 is built even better. Ok, me done now! :p

NYG8GT
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow, nobody agreed with my idea of making it a Malibu and a Chevelle SS? Instead we're talking about making it a Buick or just slightly better, an Impala? C'mon guys, we all know when it comes to a performance name, Chevelle holds a much higher recognition than Impala. Everyones grandparents owned an Impala, but everyones cool ass gearhead speed addicted dad owned a Chevelle SS ;)

ashaal
06-09-2009, 06:30 PM
As is usually the case Penguins know all....why doesn't Holden open up some dealerships over here, could they, could someone if they had enough money?

there cars are pretty bitchin'

http://www.holden.com.au/home (http://www.holden.com.au/home)

johnbell2
06-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow, nobody agreed with my idea of making it a Malibu and a Chevelle SS? Instead we're talking about making it a Buick or just slightly better, an Impala? C'mon guys, we all know when it comes to a performance name, Chevelle holds a much higher recognition than Impala. Everyones grandparents owned an Impala, but everyones cool ass gearhead speed addicted dad owned a Chevelle SS ;)

I take it back on Roadmaster... I like Chevelle SS better. They can drop an LS7 in it and have a Chevelle SS 427.

koretex
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Chevrolet Chevelle

or

Buick Grand National

/thread

:)

NYG8GT
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Grand National can NOT be a 4 door, and it cant be any other color than black. GM wont make a G8 coupe no matter how much we may wish for one, nor will they have the balls to offer a car in only one color. Making the G8 a regular Regal would be a waste.

A 4 door Chevelle wouldnt be much better, but it wouldnt be a disgrace to the name like a 4 door GN would be.

-Ray-
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
How 'bout they make it can call it a Commodore?

Panzer Leader
06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Too much discussion on the name. As I said before I really don't care. If they keep it some GM type will make the decision. And it probably will not be logical anyway. If they could, they would name it the Edsel. It is out of our hands anyway. When have they ever listened to the customers.

Slizzo
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Grand National can NOT be a 4 door, and it cant be any other color than black. GM wont make a G8 coupe no matter how much we may wish for one, nor will they have the balls to offer a car in only one color. Making the G8 a regular Regal would be a waste.

A 4 door Chevelle wouldnt be much better, but it wouldnt be a disgrace to the name like a 4 door GN would be.

What about calling it the T-Type? :nah:

But, to me, the only name that would fit WOULD be Impala. It's a large 4-door sedan, RWD, made to be the family car that could also drag on the weekends.

It just fits.

Only problem is that the Impala as such wouldn't be a volume seller; but that's what they have the Malibu for.

pha|anx
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
But, to me, the only name that would fit WOULD be Impala. It's a large 4-door sedan, RWD, made to be the family car that could also drag on the weekends.

this gets my vote too. Impala would be sweet and fit the ticket perfectly. :nah:

Zanardi1782
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't really care what they sell it as, just as long as they keep selling it. The Zeta chassis is kick-ass, and it would be a shame to see it go.

They don't even have to rebadge anything. Sell it as a Holden (like it's sold in Australia) or a Chevy (like it's sold in the Middle East).

GeorgeInNePa
07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't really care what they sell it as, just as long as they keep selling it. The Zeta chassis is kick-ass, and it would be a shame to see it go.

They don't even have to rebadge anything. Sell it as a Holden (like it's sold in Australia) or a Chevy (like it's sold in the Middle East).

This gets my vote, but I'll bet Government Motors won't go for it.

They're Green now, you know...

:(

R.Penguin
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
As is usually the case Penguins know all....why doesn't Holden open up some dealerships over here, could they, could someone if they had enough money?

there cars are pretty bitchin'

http://www.holden.com.au/home (http://www.holden.com.au/home)
Actually, penguins know less than shit! We are, however, loud, profane and stubborn!

Lessee, How about the Holden Terminator?

Or maybe the Holden Knife. As in Croc. Dundee "now this is a knife". Or, the Holden Doink?

Shit, I need a nap.:p

bobyoung
07-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Who the hell cares what they call it, as long as they still make them? If it were a Buick it'd be expensive and would be perceived as a big slow boat anchor although I own a couple of Roadmasters and like them, but I suppose a good argument has been made ofr the CTS's turning Cadillac around. Chevy has made fast cars in many different guises over the years: Nova SS, Chevelle SS, Impala SS, probably others that I forget. Look at all the beautiful 55's and 56's around. I think this car would bring back a little lustre to any name it carried. The current Impalas are a disgrace to the name but turn a G8 into one and you will see that name turn around quickly.

IcePickFreak
07-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Interesting...
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/lutz-pontiac-g8-to-continue-as-chevy-caprice-in-u-s-z28-likel/

codias5150
07-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I guess I don't really care if they will remarket the G8 it in the US anymore. I mean, I got mine, you guys got yours, right? They're still being made down under and sold around the world, so there will be no issues with parts.

It's too bad others missed out, but that isn't our problem.

GeorgeInNePa
07-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I guess I don't really care if they will remarket the G8 it in the US anymore. I mean, I got mine, you guys got yours, right? They're still being made down under and sold around the world, so there will be no issues with parts.

It's too bad others missed out, but that isn't our problem.

I might want another one...

SRG963
07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I might want another one...

I know I want another one, lol.

Slizzo
07-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I know I want another one, lol.

I'm with you, now I'll have to make the decision of finding a nice used G8, or buy a Caprice when the Lease is up.

Probably getting a nice used G8 when the lease ends.

LDV60
07-13-2009, 01:04 AM
The Caprice you really want is the HSV Grange.... LS3 with MRC. Hmm nice damn car.
Must say I haven't seen too many of the long wheel base versions modified.

NYG8GT
07-13-2009, 04:06 AM
If they rebadge it as a Caprice that means we'll still have a steady flow of parts coming in :)

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
If they rebadge it as a Caprice that means we'll still have a steady flow of parts coming in :)

Yup. And maybe some new interior components to install/use depending on which platform they go with.

Slizzo
07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Yup. And maybe some new interior components to install/use depending on which platform they go with.

I could go for some different seat controls... Like power lumbar/recline. Or even if they just made the recline a simple lever system like in all their other cars.

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I could go for some different seat controls... Like power lumbar/recline. Or even if they just made the recline a simple lever system like in all their other cars.

In the Camaro, which is also a Zeta platform car, the front seats have power recline (don't know about lumbar). You also get Bluetooth and if you get certain models/packages you get a USB plug that allows you to plug an MP3 directly into the stereo and control the MP3 player directly through your steering wheel audio controls. Cruise control is also steering wheel mounted. You also can assign your radio presets to any frequency instead of being locked into a bank of AM, two banks of FM, and two banks of XM. So for example you could have AM, FM and XM on one bank of six, or all XM on all banks or one bank of FM and four banks of XM or...

Then there is the HID headlights.

On the other hand the Camaro back seat is WORTHLESS. Sat in one and it is a torture chamber if you're a 6 footer or more. The submarine portal trunk means you're limited to what you can put in there.

If the new "Caprice" is built in Canada I would expect these changes and probably more (DVD nav???). If they continue production in Australia I don't see big changes due to the same cost/shipping constraints they face today.

djoak
07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I hope they stop using the G8 platform, it makes ours more rare....

Bretz56
07-22-2009, 09:31 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/G8-Canceled-Again-Daily_696035.htm

dukeofpg
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I am totally split on this one:

If it became the Impala it would be an almost guaranteed success (see NASCAR connection previously mentioned) but what is GM's margin on the current Impalas made here vs. importing the G8 from AUS. Probably wouldn't be smart to take one of your better selling vehicles and reduce its profit by importing it. (Side note: Having people think I drive an Impala would be almost as annoying as people thinking I drive a G6!!!)

You have it right!! It is all about the money. If the G8 was making $$$$, nothing would stop them. My guess is that margins are too tight importing it, so we loose