PDA

View Full Version : Know when to fold 'em!

avintegrator
06-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Yesterday i took my 4 year old with me to run some errands after his soccer game. We're out crusin with the windows down and i spot a Mustang wanting to pull out into traffic so i slowed down and gave him a wave to get in front of me, now i wasn't thinking about racing him until he hit the gas to pull out and that car was loud, freakin loud! OK, lets watch him i thought, so for the next mile or so he kept it wound up and kept playing with the gas. For my benifit i think because he moved to the slow lane and slowed down to chat while we were coming to a stop light. I told him i thought my car was a little loud but hell i couldn't hear it over his. He mentioned needing to get a bigger car, liked the G8's yada yada. Then he asked it was very fast and it occured to me that he probably wanted to have some fun. BUT i noticed 2 things while sitting at the light, he was a stick and i heard the whine off of his supercharger. Now as much as i would love to get my ass kicked i'm A- not doing it with my son in the car B- Not doing it AFTER i know i can't hang.
I thought about that afternoon encounter as i was coming home from a ball game last night and i kept passing cars on trailers coming from our local 1/8 mile track that i'll bet he had pulled his mufflers to go down there last night and was looking for a little warm-up? One of these days i need to get down there, I haven't been in years.

fiveoh
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Yesterday i took my 4 year old with me to run some errands after his soccer game. We're out crusin with the windows down and i spot a Mustang wanting to pull out into traffic so i slowed down and gave him a wave to get in front of me, now i wasn't thinking about racing him until he hit the gas to pull out and that car was loud, freakin loud! OK, lets watch him i thought, so for the next mile or so he kept it wound up and kept playing with the gas. For my benifit i think because he moved to the slow lane and slowed down to chat while we were coming to a stop light. I told him i thought my car was a little loud but hell i couldn't hear it over his. He mentioned needing to get a bigger car, liked the G8's yada yada. Then he asked it was very fast and it occured to me that he probably wanted to have some fun. BUT i noticed 2 things while sitting at the light, he was a stick and i heard the whine off of his supercharger. Now as much as i would love to get my ass kicked i'm A- not doing it with my son in the car B- Not doing it AFTER i know i can't hang.
I thought about that afternoon encounter as i was coming home from a ball game last night and i kept passing cars on trailers coming from our local 1/8 mile track that i'll bet he had pulled his mufflers to go down there last night and was looking for a little warm-up? One of these days i need to get down there, I haven't been in years.

Good call, although I would have raced IF my son wasnt in the car just to see how I did.

-Ray-
06-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for not racing with your child in the car. Wise decision.

'02 ws6
06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for not racing with your child in the car. Wise decision.

x2, I have a strict rule regarding that as well. I've had plenty of opportunities, especially with one particular guy that had been running his mouth, but I refuse to endanger my child by doing that stuff.

R.Penguin
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks for not racing with your child in the car. Wise decision.
+100

avintegrator
06-07-2009, 01:13 PM
No doubt, he's in the back seat yelling go faster don't let that guy in front of you.

Ohhh and have i ever mentioned he wants to grow up to be a ninja race car driver. He already is claiming the #3 car since he "went to heaven" and nobody else is using it

Devilish34
06-07-2009, 01:35 PM
No doubt, he's in the back seat yelling go faster don't let that guy in front of you.

That would be my 5yr old daughter who is always yelling faster don't let them pass you. She gets mad when people pass us lol

Darkside
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Agree with A, disagree with B. I got my assed kicked the other night coming back from the track. I knew it was going to be ugly at highway speeds. A modded C6 Z06 are wicked from the roll.

GRRRR8
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Agree with A, disagree with B. I got my assed kicked the other night coming back from the track. I knew it was going to be ugly at highway speeds. A modded C6 Z06 are wicked from the roll.

Yeah but you can go home and get the Cobra. :devil:

WickedMom
06-07-2009, 06:15 PM
That would be my 5yr old daughter who is always yelling faster don't let them pass you. She gets mad when people pass us lol

both my kids get mad when I drive like mommys should.... They also yell if they see people passing us.

Darkside
06-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Yeah but you can go home and get the Cobra. :devil:

I was thinking that as it was going down. I haven't had the fortune yet of running across one. I felt bad about running the Z, I did the 8 a great injustice. I forgot I had the car in manual mode in fourth. Needless to say it didn't downshift and I was slaughtered. I probably would have lost to a stock G8 on that run. He probably saw me at the track and was wondering what the hell happened.:spank:

G8GXP4now
06-08-2009, 07:35 AM
rant begins--

Street racing is juvenile enough, but even considering it with small kids in the car is enough for me to call your state's child protective services agency.

Okay, so maybe I am a bit on the cautious side, but having been a paramedic for many years and seeing dead kids, I have very strong feelings about putting kids at risk.

--rant ends

avintegrator
06-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I feel ya, but i didn't and i never have with him in the car. I agree that if i want to kill myself, go ahead but don't risk him or others for that matter. When i have raced in the past (excluding high school and soon after) it was always open roads, no one around. We even had a certain road that we all went to to race on the weekends, i always wondered why the police never spent more time out there.