PDA

View Full Version : Check out this GPS unit

astynx
06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Hello G8 owners, I just thought I would show everybody this Sony NV-U73T gps unit I bought for $150. I hope the photos upload. I'm new at computers and unable to 'sequence' photos with text yet. Anyways, ypu can see for yourself how this would look in your car. I like that it's dark gray with silver trim that matches dash/interior of the car. Also, it has a 'widescreen' look to it as compared to most other brands. It also has 'lane-guide' split-screen function. The unit has an on-off switch on the top edge, left-side. I shown it both mounted on the 'Atari shelf' and above it. I am keeping mine above it for when that Atari gauge retro-fit replacement becomes available for 2009 G8's from the another member of this board(GTPrix I believe.) Thanks and have a good one.

Posidon42
06-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Looks nice. We really need some sort of pull out drawer for these things. I like the clean integrated look, but really don't want to replace the entire console.

Panzer Leader
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM
How about some details on the Nav Unit. What features and how do you get map updates. Also who sells the Sony unit. BTW I want the space open for guages also. Post a pic after putting them in.

gearhead455
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
How did you get that mount to stick? I like that spot for my NAV300,I just ordered a vent mount today though.

1of1828
06-08-2009, 06:58 AM
No reception issues with the unit mounted a little more inboard??? Looks good in both locations. Will you be hiding the power wire in conjunction with the new gauge install?

astynx
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I bought this at a shopping mall dept. store. (macy's). You can go to Sony website and by them their also. They had/ have refurbished version of this model for $100. Mount is a suction cup type mount. ( push down and turn a small handle about 1/4-1/2 turn. It is easy to attach and it stays firmly attached. It removes easily with-out any permanent damage to surface. Reception is fine both ways. This unit sems to have plenty of features: search by address, point of interest, moving map display, map tool bar, dual view, map scrolling mode also optional traffic information, set -up menu. unit comes with a cd-rom and they include a website for software updates. Personally the exposed power cord for my unit doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure that I can have it that the cord doesn't block the view to the first guage on left.(of the atari guage upgrade.) Thanks for your replies.

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Tanks!

kbuckert
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
not to pull a thread, but I found a rear speaker mount from Radio Shack for $7 that I used to mount a Garmin. I posted pics on the 'other' site with the title "Another GPS Mount...$7.00 " It was a real easy install for anyone who wants a cleaner mount that isnt miles away on the windshield!

misterjuice
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I have the NAV U 94T ... and I completely love it. I mount it higher in the dash though.

Night Owl
06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I mounted my Nuvi 765T using the included suction cup mount in the same location as your first photo (Atari gauge shelf). I built a small insert out of 1/4" thick plexiglas to provide a smooth surface for the suction cup to stick to. I was going to mount the plexiglas with double stick tape, but it seems to be holding in there pretty well by itself. No problems with reception.

the driver
06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I have the Sony NVU83T (looks identical to yours). I couldn't agree more in regards to it matching. Even the screen goes well with the "infotainment" screen.
I don't leave mine mounted because I'm not a fan of the tacked-on look. If someone offered a similar setup to the JHP kit for the Sony units, I'd be all over it.
It's unfortunate that Sony had to mount the antenna the way they did, or these would likely fit. I just can't buy a Garmin, though. They're certainly nice enough, but the screen color and layout look like something out of a cartoon.