PDA

View Full Version : How much stiffer is Pedder's springs vs stock?

dklau33
06-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm considering upgrading to a Pedders package for the supsension since I feel the stock suspension is way too soft and floaty. I don't want something too stiff since the G8 is a daily driver first and foremost. I already have a separate track car. So with that said does anyone know how much stiffer percentage wise the OE height springs in the Street II package is vs stock springs? How about the Xa Street vs stock springs?

JMorris
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
xa's are adjustable and will be how ever you like it, soft like stock or way firm. I have mine set in the middle at 15. With every click you will feel a difference. This is the best of both worlds IMO with in about 10 seconds you can have the suspension totally adjusted to suit your mood.

I do not know how the the street II feels or what numbers it would equate to on the xa's. I would say about 14 to 16 is a good starting point for the xa's stiffer than stock but not harsh. At 17 plus things in the road are felt alot more and start to get harsh on bigger hits (I have crappy roads around here). Why any one would ever want to go all the way to 30 I have no idea as that would seem too stiff to me even for the track.

Either way I'm sure that floating feeling will be gone!

dklau33
06-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm not talking about damping. I'm talking about spring rates. But thanks for your answer anyhow.

dklau33
06-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I found this info regarding the OE height springs on PeddersUSA's website.

A similar level of control with close to OE ride heights can be achieved using Pedders Sports Ryder 2956 (646mm) front and 2957 (650mm) rear coils. The rates are roughly 30% higher than OE and deliver far greater dynamic stability. Increase the coils rate reduces dynamic changes in your alignment while driving. A smaller range in alignment angle change increases vehicle control. Stability in suspension geometry is directly correlated to stability of the vehicle underway. For those traditionalists that must have a rake in their vehicle as measured by the wheel arch gap the 2957 can be used with the 2954.

Chewy
06-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I would say 30% is pretty accurate. You can definitely tell that they are stiffer...

The 19" wheels and tires make it even MORE apparent... lol

-Ray-
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I would say 30% is pretty accurate. You can definitely tell that they are stiffer...

The 19" wheels and tires make it even MORE apparent... lol

I completely agree with this. However, I don't know where the edge is on the tires either. I keep pushing them. I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to end up on the Interstate going backwards.

dklau33
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone have any idea on the Xa coilovers? I'm pretty sure they have to be at least 50% or more stiffer. Probably not what I'm looking for in a sporty daily driver.

norm8332
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I completely agree with this. However, I don't know where the edge is on the tires either. I keep pushing them. I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to end up on the Interstate going backwards.

I got very little warning with the 18's they just started to squeal a bit and any farther the back end was out. My last car I could keep pushing and the squeal would get louder and louder before losing traction. Stock suspension.

-Ray-
06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
My Potenza's don't squeal at all.

norm8332
06-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Sunday driver.:)

p71
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
potenzas are extremely quiet

-Ray-
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Sunday driver.:)

LOL. I don't think so.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/Video/th_DSCF1134.jpg (http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/Video/?action=view&current=DSCF1134.flv)

norm8332
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
LOL I stand corrected. I need new tires.

Big Daddy G8
06-11-2009, 04:19 AM
I have Xa's and the handling difference is phenomenal!

I do have to say that with all of the road work being done in central Virginia (Hurray Stimulous!) that they are considerably firmer than stock. A co-worker has recently acquired a GXP and we often carpool over the same routes and my GT with the coilovers often sounds like I am slamming the bump stops over broken pavement, in fact I hit a pothole on I-64 yesterday that made all of the change in my center console take flight. With the rotating between the GXP in stock trim, and mine with the Xa's, it provides a great opportunity to compare the oem vs modded suspension on the exact same conditions.

I am still messing with the adjustments, but I find that if I go really low, 6 clicks or under, I simply have a oem type body roll, but with far much less suspension travel, then bottoming out, albeit softly, which seems to be the worst of both worlds. Turn the dial up to the 20's and I need to occasionally re-attach interior panels (JK), it is extremely firm though. I followed the install instructions to the T, but maybe my loading of the springs is off, not giving me enough from the springs before the car bottoms out.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great product and I am looking forward to tracking the car at VIR in July, one just needs to consider the trade off for daily driving.

dklau33
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Big... that was very helpful. Definitely sounds like the Xa's are more track oriented as they should be and not what I'm looking for in a daily driver. The regular Pedder's springs sound quite reasonable at about 30% stiffer while the Gas Ryder shocks provide much better control than stock. Probably going to go the Street II OE Height route.

JMorris
06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Hay big daddy;

What setting are you using now? I'm at 17 in the front and 15 in the back. If I didn't have a slight rubbing issue in the back I would probably go 15-16 in front and 13-14 out back.

To me there is a big difference between 15 and 17 in the front. Just those two clicks takes out almost all of that jarring you mentioned.

Big Daddy G8
06-12-2009, 04:20 AM
I am at 16 front and 14 back. I will probably try to go down a few clicks.

I tell you, its like having a a 16 way adjustable power seat, with all of the options, I cant seem to get it just right. But put me in a bench seat in a pickup and it seems to be just fine. I guess sometimes too many options generate pickiness.....but I love me the options!

Chewy
06-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Mine you can hear gripping the road but I have a feeling it will go from that to me going "WTF just happend" in about 2 milliseconds... lol

This is one of the reasons I want to get some SCCA time in it. I want to see how far I can push her.

Chris

bigpipe
06-19-2009, 10:35 PM
i know that when i was selling my stock springs from my V6 Camaro alot of the V8 guys wanted them because they squated down easier than the V8 ones. sorry this doesnt help your situation i just had that thought come to my mind when reading this thread. How hard is it to adjust coilovers?

JMorris
06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
It takes about 30 seconds to do the fronts, just open the hood and turn the knob on the strut towers.

The rears take only slightly longer as you have to lay on the ground to get to the knobs behind the rear tires.

I don't know how any one could go wrong with the xa's. All you got to do is turn them down to get a softer ride. They really are the best of both worlds.

I was very happy with mine, enough so that I added the adjustable sway bars!

rclinton
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Mine you can hear gripping the road but I have a feeling it will go from that to me going "WTF just happend" in about 2 milliseconds... lol

This is one of the reasons I want to get some SCCA time in it. I want to see how far I can push her.

Chris

I ran six times at an SCCA AutoX last weekend. The stock 19's squealed but never let loose. I never felt the car sliding or "on the edge" of breaking loose. I kept pushing it and dropped 6 seconds from first to last runs. I felt I still had some time left to drop.