PDA

View Full Version : trans shift question

grandmacpubah
06-05-2009, 04:59 PM
so I got my tcm tune from kirk...and I thought afterwards that my shifts would be at around 6200-6400...like when I go from a dig in sport mode. Is this only in manual mode? (i haven't tried manual mode yet)

I've been logging my car and all the shifts take place at 6000 rpm, same as stock.

Also, when I floor it there is still a hesitation before the car takes off...is this still because of torque management? Thanks!

Devilish34
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I believe they only raise the rev limit 200ish from stock and reduce the tm for firmer shifts.

13 QTR
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
He'll do whatever you ask. I have 40% in normal,and 15% in sport with the shifts at 6100. I have most of the tq management off on the downshifts (not recommended),but I like it. I also have a 6200 shift point,if I want to put it back in...just that with the 3.27 gears,it comes up real fast,and it'll hit the limiter sometimes.
With my settings...if I manual downshit at anything over 3k rpms..it'll hit so hard,it'll slide the rear tires..just like you pulled the e-brake. I try not to do that...but the downshifts in sport mode is so DAMN fast...no hesitation.

grandmacpubah
06-05-2009, 05:52 PM
He'll do whatever you ask. I have 40% in normal,and 15% in sport with the shifts at 6100. I have most of the tq management off on the downshifts (not recommended),but I like it. I also have a 6200 shift point,if I want to put it back in...just that with the 3.27 gears,it comes up real fast,and it'll hit the limiter sometimes.
With my settings...if I manual downshit at anything over 3k rpms..it'll hit so hard,it'll slide the rear tires..just like you pulled the e-brake. I try not to do that...but the downshifts in sport mode is so DAMN fast...no hesitation.

So if I understand you right...unless I asked him to change it my shift points would still be at 6000rpm...like stock?

Right now I have torque management at 50% for drive, 15% for sport, and 5% for manual, but you're saying there is also a torque management for downshifts?

young grasshopper needs to be enlightened lol

13 QTR
06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I think on the standard 93 tune..the shift points are still about 6k,the rev limiter is turned up to 6250. Sometimes the tranny is slow to shift,hence the 6250 rev limit. My rev limiter is at 6350,so it doesn't hit it,even thou I'm shifting at around 6100. There is a tq mangement for the upshifts and the downshifts. I don't think vms likes to mess with the downshifts,cause it's harder on the tranny.
You can ask for the revs to be turned up,and get a raised shift point. I looked at my dyno and figured out where I need to be shifting at...my calculations said around 6150. Find out where your peak power is,then look at where it has dropped 20whp..that's the optimal shift point(from what I've gathered).
If my tcm tune would work in your setup...I'd e-mail it,but it's got my vin # in it.
I worked Kirk to death with all the tweaking we've done,but I think we got all the kinks worked out. The shifts are more tricky with the 3.27 gears,do to the rpms/load and all that stuff is different.

grandmacpubah
06-05-2009, 06:16 PM
that's great info , thanks. cleared some misunderstandings I had (rev limiter being raised vs shift points)...now I won't email kirk looking like a complete noob lol

R.Penguin
06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
"With my settings...if I manual downshit at anything over 3k rpms..it'll hit so hard,it'll slide the rear tires."

Boy Howdy! Y'all Bama boys do drive a tad different! Leather or cloth seats? Just curious. .........:rofl:

13 QTR
06-06-2009, 01:04 AM
"With my settings...if I manual downshit at anything over 3k rpms..it'll hit so hard,it'll slide the rear tires."

Boy Howdy! Y'all Bama boys do drive a tad different! Leather or cloth seats? Just curious. .........:rofl:

Leather.....

different?......I thought wreakless was wreakless in any state...

john ny.
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
2009 g8 gxp, have seen delay in sport mode with full acceleration. about 1 second , all stock at time.

travis gore
01-18-2011, 03:19 AM
2009 g8 gxp, have seen delay in sport mode with full acceleration. about 1 second , all stock at time.

need a tcm tune,you will be surprised how much better the trans will be.

Dieselman
01-19-2011, 12:49 AM
need a tcm tune,you will be surprised how much better the trans will be.

Very Good advise there:thumbsup::thumbsup:

desertg8
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
On a stockish g8 with headers, etc. you will not gain anything by raising the shift points. I bet if you kept the one to two shift at 6000 and turned down the rest to 5900 you would actually have a quicker quarter mile. If you have a cam, nitrous, or f.i. that ofcourse changes the whole ball game. I have tried 6000, 6100, and 6200 rpm shifts at the track. My best time is 12.37 at a da of 1900. That occured with the superchips tuner at 6000 rpm shifts. Higher shift points slowed the car down. Procharged from this board is going to tune my car and the da friday night in Phoenix should be low. So maybe a new best time.

AVIDMOTION
02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I see you still have the Cortex tune even with the Kooks headers and HF cats. Did it throw a CEL? If not how did you stop it, with EXTENDERS? How long did you run the headers without a real tune? I have Kooks mids and HF cats waiting for install untill I can afford the tune. Besides turning off the rear o2's, doesnt the headers create a real lean situation? Thanks for any help

desertg8
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, we put the spark plug extenders on. I just ran a new best with the superchips tuner of 12.30 @ 108 at Firebird Raceway with the superchips tuner.

But I am now retiring the tuner. Procharged from this board is going to copy the chips tune into hp tuners. Then we will do a transmission tune on it this Thursday.

When you go to a high stall convertor the chips tuner has the stock software. So the stall locks at 95 and spins.

Also the 3-4 shift is hanging up alot like others on this board. Not on the freeway. But down the 1320.

I do not know if I am running rich or lean. I suspect rich because the first set of o2 sensors are seeing a lean condition from the headers. And then it tells the computer to richen up the mixture.

Even though I did great with this canned tune I do not recommend you do the same. You are doing the correct thing by getting a customized tune.

AVIDMOTION
02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Hmm, but it has not set a code yet? Thats cool. I have the extenders ready to go, and stock tune which should be real rich. I will run this until I can sell some stuff and get a tune. Maybe in the mean time Vector or Livernois will have a midwinter beat the doldrums sale(hint hint) and I can jump on it. ha ha. Keep us posted with how it runs.

AVIDMOTION
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Did you get it done on Thursday? I emailed several top national Tuners with a bunch of questions, most did not respond. I got a canned reply from Vector, with generalizations which did not add to my knowledge base. I emailed them 3 times so far. Is there a secret way to get through to them. Seems everyone is able to get their tunes quick enough. My headers go on this weekend. I had to wait for 2 new O2 sensors as the stock ones are welded in(40,000 miles). I cracked one of my new xp5245's and had to hunt it down to find which one, then found one plug locally. Which brings me to a "race" with a worked Shelby GT 500. Of course with the stock tune my car is sluggish and slow, I can't believe when I bought this and it was stock, I thought it was fast. The stock tune is horrid. The Shelby left me looking for a downshift. I went home cured my issues with the plugs and today put back the Cortex Vararam 93 tune. Holy crap what a difference. And I used the Cortex to clear the codes from the broken plug. I dont want to ever take it out again until I have a Vector, Livernois or whatever tune.