PDA

View Full Version : Things You Like About Your G8 Over Your Previous Ride

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
1) That when I'm behind a car that can't get out of its own way like a Toyota Corolla, that only have to touch the gas pedal to match their acceleration off of a traffic light.

2) 19 to 20 MPG combined city/highway with 361 HP under my right foot. Enough said.

3) Two more cylinders. Enough said.

4) I can listen to the stereo without the key and not just part of RAP. I can unlock the car, no key no nothing and just turn the stereo on.

5) Pollution mode for the HVAC system. I LOVE this!

6) Automatic headlamps when you turn on the windshield wipers.

7) HUGE backseat, anyone sitting behind me doesn't need to be a double amputee.

8) Stealth mode - hey some of us over 40 types are getting a tad night blind.

9) That you can leave the fog lamp switch set in a way that they will come on automatically with the headlights, I don't have to turn them on each time - the night blind thing again.

10) BRIGHT headlights - ya I know some people are going to think I'm a crackhead for saying that - they are so much better than my previous ride.

11) MP3 playback on the stereo.

12) 1/8" stereo in jack on the stereo.

13) Sport mode + WOT = 361 smiles per hour, and on the subject of Sport Mode, six gears, not four.

14) Having a car that the media loves, not tears apart in every article.

Previous Ride: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

p71
06-04-2009, 04:39 AM
XM, No Atari gauges

previous ride, 2008 G8 GT

Art708
06-04-2009, 04:59 AM
My previous ride was a C6 'vette so the only thing I like better is the room. If the 'vette had had even a tiny back seat like my wife's Jag convertible then I wouldn't own the G8

wreckwriter
06-04-2009, 05:07 AM
My last car was a Hyundai Tiburon. It was a great little car, no trouble and handled like a lizard. It wasn't terribly fast though, my G8 is.

MRM
06-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Aside from the improved performance, handling, and electronic upgrades, the one thing I like soooo much better are headlights that actually shine more than 30 feet in front of the car. That was my biggest complaint about the 97-03 GP's, the headlights sucked.

SRG963
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
1. More Horsepower
2. More Torque
3. MP3 player is nice
4. Pollution mode is cool

Previous car was a 04 DTS

grandmacpubah
06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
came from a g35...

people pacing me on the road to give me a thumbs up

girls yelling from the side of the road...could be me though...let's not give the car too much credit

knowing I can best 95% of the cars I see on a daily basis

interior room

color

rarity...when I drive into bellevue I see beemers like hondas...but I'm the only G8 :D

everyone asking me about my car

boomer
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Here's my truck i had before my car
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/jboomer/truck/nice.jpg

The best thing i like about my G8 is the driving experience. Its just so much more fun to drive, easy to park, great handling and love the 6 speed tranny with nice power at pretty much all speeds. And i also like the fact that not many people have the car at all. Having an MP3 plug in is really nice too :woohoo:

sdown
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
rear

wheel

drive

JMS
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Previous ride: 2002 VW Passat GLX Wagon 6 cyl

1. Power, hands down, I missed that. Don't get me wrong the Passat wasn't a slug by any means, it moved, but Im a V8 kinda girl.

2. The way the driver seat hugs me

3. Rear wheel drive, man I missed that

4. Beautiful body lines and unique color

5. Larger center console and glove compartment

6. Not seeing one on the road everytime I get in the car

Seattle09GT
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
rear

wheel

drive

What is the 'snorkel mod"

zosoboogie
06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
came from New Balance 992 Grey

anything better then walking to work for 2 years.

before that Lexus IS 300 turbo

j_j
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
2004 Silverado SS
1. People(relatives) don't ask (expect) me to help them move
2. Better mpg
3. quicker/faster
4. Easier to get the kids into the back seat.

r33pwrd
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Coming from a TBSS I loke the RWD and the 6 speed auto... If the TBSS had a 6 speed in it I would still have it probably.

JMS
06-04-2009, 11:41 AM

haha, Nice upgrade! :)

SRG963
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
What is the 'snorkel mod"
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4932

Seattle09GT
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4932

Damn, and here I thought someone had come up with a way to cross rivers and streams with the G8. :surprise:

sdown
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
The snorkle mod is when you cut out the bottom two little panels in the factory air box snorkle. Just gets more air into the box.

Purf
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
1) That when I'm behind a car that can't get out of its own way like a Toyota Corolla, that only have to touch the gas pedal to match their acceleration off of a traffic light.

2) 19 to 20 MPG combined city/highway with 361 HP under my right foot. Enough said.

3) Two more cylinders. Enough said.

4) I can listen to the stereo without the key and not just part of RAP. I can unlock the car, no key no nothing and just turn the stereo on.

5) Pollution mode for the HVAC system. I LOVE this!

6) Automatic headlamps when you turn on the windshield wipers.

7) HUGE backseat, anyone sitting behind me doesn't need to be a double amputee.

8) Stealth mode - hey some of us over 40 types are getting a tad night blind.

9) That you can leave the fog lamp switch set in a way that they will come on automatically with the headlights, I don't have to turn them on each time - the night blind thing again.

10) BRIGHT headlights - ya I know some people are going to think I'm a crackhead for saying that - they are so much better than my previous ride.

11) MP3 playback on the stereo.

12) 1/8" stereo in jack on the stereo.

13) Sport mode + WOT = 361 smiles per hour, and on the subject of Sport Mode, six gears, not four.

14) Having a car that the media loves, not tears apart in every article.

Previous Ride: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

My previous ride was a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which was pretty good. However, what I like most from my 2009 GXP is the engine response and better handling.

GRRRR8
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
RWD and a reason to mod another car! :)

Featherburner
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
2000lbs. lighter and 4' shorter

Hessian
06-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Previous Ride: Audi A4 1.8T quattro APR Tuned

1. The power. Audi's aren't really known for their launch speed and that is especially true with the A4 quattro's.

2. The room. We took a 2k mile trip and it was like night and day in terms of comfort.

3. The ride. The Audi may have had all wheel drive, but I believe this car handles just as well and has a better ride.

4. The interior. Audi's are always complimented on how well their interiors are, but the G8 just feels more interactive to me. The seats are leaps and bounds more comfortable and better supporting than the Audis.

5. The stereo with the Aux jack in front. My iphone fits perfectly right below it. The Audi on the other hand had to use a cassette tape adapter to even listen to the music and cigarette lighter was right near the park brake - led to a mess of wires when factoring in a GPS unit.

6. The trunk. It is huge!!!

7. The sound. I have stock exhaust right now, but even so - I love the sound of the WOT compared to the spooling turbo of the Audi.

9. Having a car you don't see many of. I have seen 1 other G8 in the 2k + miles I have driven the car (not including my dads).

10. The looks. Sort of a toss up. I did like the B6 A4 sport package looks. It was a beautiful car, but the G8 has a more aggressive stance and the lines are even better than the Audi's.

99-LS1-SS
06-05-2009, 05:54 AM

anything better then walking to work for 2 years.

before that Lexus IS 300 turbo

992's are comfortable shoes! That's what I have...gray even.

I like the manual transmission and the LS3!!!! I DON'T like the wheel hop but I'll address that soon enough.

Seattle09GT
06-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Previous Ride: Audi A4 1.8T quattro APR Tuned

1. The power. Audi's aren't really known for their launch speed and that is especially true with the A4 quattro's.

2. The room. We took a 2k mile trip and it was like night and day in terms of comfort.

3. The ride. The Audi may have had all wheel drive, but I believe this car handles just as well and has a better ride.

4. The interior. Audi's are always complimented on how well their interiors are, but the G8 just feels more interactive to me. The seats are leaps and bounds more comfortable and better supporting than the Audis.

5. The stereo with the Aux jack in front. My iphone fits perfectly right below it. The Audi on the other hand had to use a cassette tape adapter to even listen to the music and cigarette lighter was right near the park brake - led to a mess of wires when factoring in a GPS unit.

6. The trunk. It is huge!!!

7. The sound. I have stock exhaust right now, but even so - I love the sound of the WOT compared to the spooling turbo of the Audi.

9. Having a car you don't see many of. I have seen 1 other G8 in the 2k + miles I have driven the car (not including my dads).

10. The looks. Sort of a toss up. I did like the B6 A4 sport package looks. It was a beautiful car, but the G8 has a more aggressive stance and the lines are even better than the Audi's.

Personally I think the G8 whispers Audi from the side/rear. It is very "German" looking overall IMHO. Like you I don't like having a car that everyone else has, I started to loathe the fact with my silver Grand Prix that there I would see several, every day, in my own color, let alone in other colors. I then made it a game to find "2005 GT" specifically so I could lie to myself that there wasn't a 1/2 million of these things on the road.

r33pwrd
06-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Personally I think the G8 whispers Audi from the side/rear. It is very "German" looking overall IMHO. Like you I don't like having a car that everyone else has, I started to loathe the fact with my silver Grand Prix that there I would see several, every day, in my own color, let alone in other colors. I then made it a game to find "2005 GT" specifically so I could lie to myself that there wasn't a 1/2 million of these things on the road.

My G8 is my "work" car so I always have a lot of people in it and %75 of them tell me how much they love my BMW :) I always tell them it a pontiac and most go silent for a moment and say "what a pontic?" I think the front fenders are very European / German looking (almost identical to a M3 with the wide fenders and upper fender badge)

MRM
06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Something else I thought of is how well the car drives in a downpour with standing water in the road. I got caught in a big downpour yesterday and the car didn't miss a beat. My GP was terrible in the rain unless it had brand new tires on it. Something about the design of the car made moving water terrible. Even my Trans Am GTA did quite well in standing water. I think every car I've had, other than the GP, has been pretty good.

zosoboogie
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
992's are comfortable shoes! That's what I have...gray even.

I like the manual transmission and the LS3!!!! I DON'T like the wheel hop but I'll address that soon enough.

now I got the 993s even better!!

h34d
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I came from a 2002 Kia Spectra LS. Translation = EVERYTHING! Maybe with the exception of 38 mpg hwy but when you take everything else into consideration the Kia loses every argument, every single one...

Kia = Kris' Insufficient Automobile :hang:

-Kris-

syP
06-14-2009, 05:22 PM
previous was Cobalt SS/SC

Pretty much everything but MPG and XM radio.. i was really bummed when i found out this car doesnt have it :/

grt08g8
06-14-2009, 06:47 PM
everything , but the trunk monkey. annoying bastard!

jayball
07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
The old car was a 2001 Monte Carlo SS pace car with an intake, TB, cam+valvetrain stuff, tune, downpipe back exhaust with a borla cat back, sways and trailing links, infinity speakers and sub...plus more.

the drivetrain: 360 HP RWD A6 LSD compared to ~ 250 HP FWD A4 open Diff, every category is an improvement

Handling: hands down better, no comparison.

Interior: I miss my old gauge cluster, but the seats are bolstered nicely and comfy, insane interior space, radio sounds good

Foreseeable downsides: a short block will cost more than 350 in good shape, same for the trans. Not many other dirt cheap parts like on the w-body platform and boneyards will not find many of these things.

Seattle09GT
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
The old car was a 2001 Monte Carlo SS pace car with an intake, TB, cam+valvetrain stuff, tune, downpipe back exhaust with a borla cat back, sways and trailing links, infinity speakers and sub...plus more.

the drivetrain: 360 HP RWD A6 LSD compared to ~ 250 HP FWD A4 open Diff, every category is an improvement

Handling: hands down better, no comparison.

Interior: I miss my old gauge cluster, but the seats are bolstered nicely and comfy, insane interior space, radio sounds good

Foreseeable downsides: a short block will cost more than 350 in good shape, same for the trans. Not many other dirt cheap parts like on the w-body platform and boneyards will not find many of these things.

Welcome to the club! I upgraded from a W-Body also. They sure are serviceable cars!

chiller2484
07-03-2009, 06:33 AM
you guys make me hate not having a G8 more and more each day! lol

Seattle09GT
07-03-2009, 07:59 AM
you guys make me hate not having a G8 more and more each day! lol

What are you waiting for? They're flying off the lots (look at May/June sales numbers - 26% - 27% of the 2009 G8 production run has sold in the LAST TWO MONTHS.

chiller2484
07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
can't afford one right now, honestly. they are still a little too pricey, or i'm a little too much in debt. however you want to take it. :-/

fcsuper
07-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm sorry you cannot avoid one right now. :( Just to correct you on "pricey". They are out of your range, yes. However, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY sedan this size for the price that the G8 GT's are going for (with incentive pkgs and such), let alone with a V8!

foreosu
07-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Seeing how my previous car was a 2003 Saturn Ion, I dont think I have to waste time and list the things I like better! I do miss having a manual tranny and a sunroof, but I'm sure as hell not complaining!!

johnbell2
07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Previous ride: 2000 Dodge Dakota quad cab, 360ci V8, patriot blue / driftwood two tone, full time 4wd (nv242 transfer case ftw), 3.92 LSD, SLT+ ... you name it, it had it, factory ordered with everything you could possibly get. MAN I LOVED THAT TRUCK and my oldest daughter still doesn't forgive me for getting rid of it but time marches on and so do I.

Now, what I love about the G8...

- "Four door Corvette" 'nuff said <add to cart>
- Better mileage than the Dak by far
- SEATS ARE AWESOME
- Fits in the garage
- Makes BMW drivers crap their pants daily
- Makes BMW drivers *** check their wallets daily *** (what a deal!)
- Cuts a fine figure, this really is a beautiful car even with the "screaming chicken" hood nostril throwback
- Unlike some here, I think the factory sound kicks ass you just have to dial her in a little
- This car is a tank, I've already taken a "no brakes" parking lot hit from a Toyota Sequoia only to find out my damage estimate was less than the Toyota's; you can also check out some of the other G8 mishaps on this and other boards as further proof, this car WILL protect the people inside of it
- Very high "office envy" factor, this is not a "me too" car very few are sighted day to day; anything GM that makes my boss (who is a die hard Porsche driver) say "this is a VERY nice car" has got to have something going for it
- You can turn Stabilitrak off completely, try doing that with a Charger R/T, you can't
- Pollution control mode which doubles as a "oh my God it's Texas and hot as all git out" supercooler in stop and go traffic
- I'm a big guy and this is a big car, we go together like PB and J
- People like me can sit in the back seat on a trip from Austin to Houston and not beg for mercy, heck actually show up refreshed
- Factory tint (especially rear) is underrated, it's better than the aftermarket that my wife had on her Passat
- All window / mirror controls in the center console which makes the arm rest uncluttered and darn comfortable to lean on
- Factory rims on the 19" have a nice look to 'em (I believe someone has mentioned that these are Enkei rims and I can believe that)
- The modular exhaust system on these cars is outstanding, so many ways to either do it yourself fab or go full aftermarket up to and including headers
- Factory axle-backs that are "family friendly" quiet yet have been proven to account for only about 2hp loss per ARH testing, out-freakin'-standing makes this car a "shark in the water" at a stop light
- Made in Australia and I think Australians are just flat out cool people, I would expect this kind of car from the nation that gave us "Mad Max" :headbang:

stryker g8gt
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I was in a 05 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4 with The Hemi.......Lowered and moddified from engine to rearend. and some Nos to boot.

Likes and loves

Interior room
Love the Stryker Blue.......
hardly ever see another one.
Love seeing the heads turn
Really love the ladies complimaints....on the car...darn!
love that I have 434 rwhp......
Good sound system and easy to add rear subs and amp,very easy
Empty wheel well for carrying guns......legal ones.
I have the best looking BMW-Pontiac around. lol
How quickly you can sell the factory 19" wheels....lol
How quickly you can buy more tires......

I still look forward to driving it each day.

Modhauler
07-13-2009, 04:43 AM
RWD and a reason to mod another car! :)

My other car is a Dodge Magnum and it's still my daily driver. John uses the G8 for work and I get to ride in it on weekends. I do like the seats better and it has plenty of room. I'm still getting used to the radio and all the electronics/info you can toy with. The interior lighting for the dash is pretty nice. John says the headlights work great at night and the cruise is very user friendly. There's not much I would want to change except adding a few subtle things to personalize it. I just couldn't give up the space I had in the Magnum for it, and now I have both. :woohoo: Although John drives the car alot and it's got the cozy parking spot, he'll never give up the Ford F350 diesel crew cab dually.