PDA

View Full Version : General Motors Gives Me The Dick Cheney Treatment

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
When I say Dick Cheney treatment I don't mean waterboarding, I mean as in being told to go f**k myself.

Robot Chicken's Iron Cheney Part One (http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951e5ec5d3011e5fa6f52a0045)

Here is my tale of woe.

So bought a G8 on 5/23/09. The dealer didn't have the G8 I wanted. I never test drove at the dealer because I had already driven a G8 560 odd miles, this was a "give me."

Did a dealer transfer. First G8 showed up about 1 PM on 5/23 from Everett and the paint was TRASHED. It looked like the previous dealer had kept it clean with steelwool and the paint was scratched through to the primer on the hood. Of course there was the, "we can buff it out discussion," of which I told them yes, you could buff it out, and 60 days from now when the wax is gone I'll see all the scratches again and white primer on the hood, no thanks.

So they brought that car back and dealer swapped for another one in Arlington. This car didn't show up until 6 PM. They got it through make ready and delivered to me at 7 PM. The dealer was suppose to close at 6 PM. So here I am, in my brand new G8 - already refused delivery on one, and I go to setup the Bluetooth...

Press the OnStar button, "OnStar Ready."

"Bluetooth," is what I say just like the owner's manual tells me to do.

"Goodbye," OnStar cheerfully tells me.

What the fuck?

So I research and research and research and then learn I need a L3 S/N car not an L1 or L2 S/N car to have Bluetooth. Like the one on the showroom floor, that also had rear cupholders (which I really don't give a crap about).

So I call GM directly after talking to OnStar about it. GM called me back today and told me in Dick Cheney style, "go f**k myself," that they aren't going to give me Bluetooth for "free" because it wasn't an option on the car.

Hey buttwipes, it's all over the GM website you can get Bluetooth, the dealer information the DEALER showed me says I get Bluetooth and this isn't major surgery to give me Bluetooth. You replace the OnStar module in the back, remove one wire, and add the antenna. Hell I told them I was willing to PAY for the antenna.

I've driven GM products now for 15 years. My 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana was the worst piece of crap I ever owned, but still bought a GM product in 2001. I founded the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club (http://www.chevyavlanachefanclub.com) which has grown to the largest single model truck club in North America. I was interviewed by GM for their customer magazine and online story published for the Canadian GM website. I was on the Today Show last year for cripes sake.

I have done A LOT for GM. All I'm asking for is a freakin' part swapped out. Sure it cost them "money" to program it out. They aren't going to throw my OnStar module out, they'll remanufacturer it and it will go into the parts bin. I wasn't even going to tell a soul if I got this done, as I know this is a hot button issue, but now I'm freakin' pissed.

Enthusiast sites sell cars, I've helped sell a lot of Mexican iron since 2002, the least they could do is make me happy over a different module and a freakin' antenna.

It's the principal of the fact the car I sat in had it, the dealer told me I would get it, the brochure says I get it, and pages upon pages within the GM website says I get it, and there isn't a shred of information on a 2009-1/2 Pontiac GM, or any indication that there is a 2009-1/2 G8 on the Pontiac website.

Right now - I'm pissed. Very, very, pissed.

:poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof::poof:

Steve
06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
XuAuUYjCrHU

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
xuauuyjcrhu

exactly!!!

Chewy
06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I bought the Bluestar system and am VERY happy... Sorry for your woes... It's going to get worse now that the Gov owns it...

grandmacpubah
06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
if it makes you feel any better they did the same thing to me... went to try bluetooth and the effing thing hung up on me lmao...MORONS...

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I bought the Bluestar system and am VERY happy... Sorry for your woes... It's going to get worse now that the Gov owns it...

I know about BlueStar. The funny thing is she tells me on the phone, "well you have a couple of options to add Bluetooth from a third party."

I tell her, "so you're telling me to get BlueStar and rip out the OnStar module so I don't get accident notification, emergency services, stolen car location service, emergency vehicle unlock, lost car location, and the abilty to disable my car remotely if it's stolen, not to mention the subscription revenue you lose because I won't be an OnStar subscriber like I have since 2001?"

Freakin' idiots. Won't spend $1 to make $3 - no wonder they're bankrupt.

Chewy
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I know about BlueStar. The funny thing is she tells me on the phone, "well you have a couple of options to add Bluetooth from a third party."

I tell her, "so you're telling me to get BlueStar and rip out the OnStar module so I don't get accident notification, emergency services, stolen car location service, emergency vehicle unlock, lost car location, and the abilty to disable my car remotely if it's stolen, not to mention the subscription revenue you lose because I won't be an OnStar subscriber like I have since 2001?"

Freakin' idiots. Won't spend $1 to make $3 - no wonder they're bankrupt.

So you have an '08 model then? Just a little lost as your sig says Atari update coming soon but NONE of the '09's have Atari gauges in them...

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
So you have an '08 model then? Just a little lost as your sig says Atari update coming soon but NONE of the '09's have Atari gauges in them...

I have an 09. I'm adding the Atari gauges and having them upgraded (I'm in on the group buy, ordering on Saturday, hope to have them installed by 4th of July). Didn't know about losing the Atari gauges either when I got my 09 - LOL. I was driving the car home and about 20 miles into the drive I was like, 'hey wait a minute, the rental car I had back in the day had a display up here."

I admit it on the gauges, that was a total n00b move.

At first I thought it was off, then I thought it was broken, then I had my face basically squeezed into the slot when I realized, no display here. Just seems odd to me to have a performance car minus a volts and oil pressure gauge. I've owned cars for 24 years now, only first one didn't have an oil pressure gauge, and all of them have had a volts gauage.

grandmacpubah
06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I mounted a dashhawk in that little cubby where the smokers package would be. gives more info than you could ever wish for...no drilling either and the cable is completely concealed. I'll take a pict if you want.

camoeto
06-03-2009, 12:02 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the dealer probably didn't know your car lacked bluetooth either. They seem to be pretty clueless about our cars.

mjf752001
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Same thing - no recourse. Worked my way up the ladder till I got the following. I did send him my vin and he confirmed it does NOT have bluetooth.

Mark,

I apologize for all of the confusion about Bluetooth in the 2009 G8. Here's the scoop...

The addition of Bluetooth was tied to a new piece of OnStar hardware that wasn't available until late November 2008. By that time, we had already started building the 2009 models and were careful to NOT put Bluetooth on the window sticker of those earlier 2009s. For cars built after a particular date (I believe it was October 28, 2008), the new OnStar hardware was installed and Bluetooth became available as standard equipment and was listed on the window sticker.

I know that has the benefit of being very confusion and again, I apologize. However, we felt it was important to include Bluetooth as soon as it was available rather than wait until the next model year change, which would mean it wouldn't be available in the U.S. until late 2009.

I know that this doesn't really help in your particular case, but I wanted to provide you with an honest answer about what happened. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way of "retrofitting" the Bluetooth capability to your earlier build car. It would require new OnStar hardware which is simply not possible to replace in your car, as the wiring and sensors of the OnStar system are VERY complex and designed for installation only during assembly.

Let me at least do this for you.... Please send me your VIN and let me confirm that your car does not have the correct hardware. After that, I'll talk to the engineering team to see if there is anything they can recommend that I may not be aware of.

Regards,

Jim Hopson
Manager, Pontiac Communication

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the dealer probably didn't know your car lacked bluetooth either. They seem to be pretty clueless about our cars.

I don't blame the dealer at all, I've told GM that over and over and over again. I blame GM. They still have pages on the parent site that indicate that the G8 has Bluetooth. Every dealer out there has collateral that says the G8 has Bluetooth. If you do a search at www.gm.com for "pontiac g8 bluetooth" the first result that comes up (the fifth result) for the G8 is the Getting to Know Your 2009 G8 guide with information on interacting with the Bluetooth system (nice GM, nice).

If you go to www.pontiac.com there is no information about the 2009.5 G8 - it doesn't even exist. If I was Wal-Mart, and I sold something on the box that said it came with Bluetooth on the website and in the store, and then I got home and found out it didn't (say I bought a GPS nav system for the dashboard) then they would have to accept the return or make good.

I just want them to make good - but I don't blame the dealer.

wreckwriter
06-03-2009, 12:25 PM
As I recall there was a big stink about this on board when the first 09s came out. Answer was that it would be a "late 09" item.

-Ray-
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
As I recall there was a big stink about this on board when the first 09s came out. Answer was that it would be a "late 09" item.

Seems like it's been posted for months now. Sorry to the OP though.

netmand
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I just want them to make good

Hey if you wind up having enough anger to run this up into some sort of class action suit then I'll be right there with you along with a ton of other people for sure (my VIN ends in 206771... Bluetooth cars end in like 302000+ or something like that).

Just remember to hold accountable the right GM... not the one going out the door because of bankruptcy.

wreckwriter
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Seems like it's been posted for months now. Sorry to the OP though.

Me too but he seems awful upset over what amounts to a cute little option rather than a gotta have type of thing. Just my opinion of course, I guess some see it as important. I just got a little add-on one that goes on my visor.

Mike P
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I love Family Guy.... :rofl:

XuAuUYjCrHU

-Ray-
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey if you wind up having enough anger to run this up into some sort of class action suit then I'll be right there with you along with a ton of other people for sure (my VIN ends in 206771... Bluetooth cars end in like 302000+ or something like that).

Just remember to hold accountable the right GM... not the one going out the door because of bankruptcy.

There was a sheet on the window of the G8 you bought. Does it list bluetooth?

r33pwrd
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Me too but he seems awful upset over what amounts to a cute little option rather than a gotta have type of thing. Just my opinion of course, I guess some see it as important. I just got a little add-on one that goes on my visor.

Actually in WA it really it is a gotta have type thing... cant talk on a cell phone while driving unless using hand free.

Honestly I was kinda upset about it in my car but for only about 10 minutes..

R.Penguin
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, it depends on how much time & frustration you want to deal with. That's your decision.

Many of us, like Wreckwriter just picked this little jewel up http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WTM552/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2858583261&ref=pd_sl_6zd0d1tw15_e

It is small, it works perfectly, it's cheap, & you can move it from car to car.

Video is here: http://cnettv.cnet.com/motorola-505-bluetooth-kit/9742-1_53-31336.html

Under $60 from Amazon. Make the dealer or GM buy it for you! :p

TxNessie84
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry it is leaving a bad taste in your mouth but it has been known for awhile on here that they don't have Bluetooth unless it says so on the window sticker. Never take the dealers word for something with out checking yourself regardless of what company they are a dealer for. There is way too much turnover in dealership personnel for most of them to know details about the cars they sell.

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM

The car was a dealer swap (the second one that day) and arrived without that little sheet stuck to the window. Familar with the little sheet stuck to the window. So the first time I saw THE car I'm driving is when it showed up at the dealer and was driven over to its make ready department, sans window sticker.

R.Penguin
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Sorry it is leaving a bad taste in your mouth but it has been known for awhile on here that they don't have Bluetooth unless it says so on the window sticker. Never take the dealers word for something with out checking yourself regardless of what company they are a dealer for. There is way too much turnover in dealership personnel for most of them to know details about the cars they sell.
True! And since I used to be a car salesperson, I can say with confidence that if you cannot find a job anywhere else, even McDonalds, you sell cars. :p

Dealers don't even use the mirror test to see if the applicant is breathing. If he/she can sit upright for 3 seconds and mumble incoherantly, it's "get out on the lot"! and they give a lot of leeway on that.:rofl:

Virus
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
None of the dealers I talked to were aware of this. They all thought the 2009's had bluetooth. While I was upset one told me the car had bluetooth, I made sure I researched it first which is when I found out to check not only the sticker, but the proper Vin number. In the end, I paid $1000 more for a 2009.5 w/bluetooth over a 2009 without. For me it was worth the extra $1000 since I use this feature daily. "Let the buyer beware". Alas, I also ended up in a similar situation. I test drove several G8's, but I wanted a white hot. Only one dealer in all the neighboring states had one equipped the way I wanted it. I drove an hour and a half to the dealer and bought the car without a proper test drive. It was in the shop 17 out of the first 33 days and has had the front strut bearing assemblies, driver side motor mount, exhaust, front lower control arms and two alignments.

Seattle09GT
06-04-2009, 04:28 PM
None of the dealers I talked to were aware of this. They all thought the 2009's had bluetooth. While I was upset one told me the car had bluetooth, I made sure I researched it first which is when I found out to check not only the sticker, but the proper Vin number. In the end, I paid $1000 more for a 2009.5 w/bluetooth over a 2009 without. For me it was worth the extra $1000 since I use this feature daily. "Let the buyer beware". Alas, I also ended up in a similar situation. I test drove several G8's, but I wanted a white hot. Only one dealer in all the neighboring states had one equipped the way I wanted it. I drove an hour and a half to the dealer and bought the car without a proper test drive. It was in the shop 17 out of the first 33 days and has had the front strut bearing assemblies, driver side motor mount, exhaust, front lower control arms and two alignments.

YIKES!!! That's a lot of problems. I guess the biggest lesson I learned here, dealer swap or not, test drive the sucker and check EVERYTHING. If it's not right, throw it back in the pond.

Panzer Leader
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I mounted a dashhawk in that little cubby where the smokers package would be. gives more info than you could ever wish for...no drilling either and the cable is completely concealed. I'll take a pict if you want.

Please post a picture (Night/Day if possible) and details.

Panzer Leader
06-04-2009, 05:12 PM
When looking at the 2009 G* check out the Window Sticker for the Bluetooth. It is listed under the INTERIOR FEATURES. If it ain't there you have to use 2 cans and a lot of string OR the high price on star calling feature. I solved my problem with a $39.95 Motorola on the visor. It works extremely well. It goes from car to car, like my Garmin. I will never pay for either again as OEM. If my GPS goes out I don't have to have it removed from the dash at high $$$$$$. Remember why you have stereo components If one part goes out, you still have others.

timg8
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
A lot of us understand that Bluetooth is there if it's on the sticker, unfortunately, I didn't know about the G8 board(s) before I bought my car. I saw the Bluetooth emblem on the steering wheel and thought it had Bluetooth. I would not have thought to read the manual and learn how to pair it with my phone and actually tried pairing it before I bought the car. If I had looked at the manual I would have thought okay it's got Bluetooth because it gives me instructions on operation in the manual (plus the symbol on the steering wheel). They advertised it by having the symbol in the car and had I read the manual before purchase (I know everyone does this) I would have further believed the car had Bluetooth because it provides instructions on using the function. I tried and tried when I got my car, after reading the manual, and couldn't figure out why it was hanging up on me. That's how I found these forums, trying to figure out what was going on with the dang Bluetooth.

As far a a lawsuit, that's a no go because the bankruptcy filing gives them protection while under the courts jurisdiction.

As far as the OnStar wiring changeout, they lied. There is a member on this or the other forum that had a "friend" who helped him out. He ordered the new style box for a VIN# 3XXXXX and snubbed one wire. He then had his friend able to do a reflash and it works perfectly. I can only think that GM feels like they are going to lose money by not having people use OnStar calling minutes...WRONG. I just went out and bought a hands free device and still don't use the OnStar minutes, they could have made a lot more money by selling me a new box. I would still prefer the in car Bluetooth because it mutes the radio and charges with the car.

Oh well... there are those fantastic business decisions that got them in their current predicament.

Seattle09GT
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
A lot of us understand that Bluetooth is there if it's on the sticker, unfortunately, I didn't know about the G8 board(s) before I bought my car. I saw the Bluetooth emblem on the steering wheel and thought it had Bluetooth. I would not have thought to read the manual and learn how to pair it with my phone and actually tried pairing it before I bought the car. If I had looked at the manual I would have thought okay it's got Bluetooth because it gives me instructions on operation in the manual (plus the symbol on the steering wheel). They advertised it by having the symbol in the car and had I read the manual before purchase (I know everyone does this) I would have further believed the car had Bluetooth because it provides instructions on using the function. I tried and tried when I got my car, after reading the manual, and couldn't figure out why it was hanging up on me. That's how I found these forums, trying to figure out what was going on with the dang Bluetooth.

As far a a lawsuit, that's a no go because the bankruptcy filing gives them protection while under the courts jurisdiction.

As far as the OnStar wiring changeout, they lied. There is a member on this or the other forum that had a "friend" who helped him out. He ordered the new style box for a VIN# 3XXXXX and snubbed one wire. He then had his friend able to do a reflash and it works perfectly. I can only think that GM feels like they are going to lose money by not having people use OnStar calling minutes...WRONG. I just went out and bought a hands free device and still don't use the OnStar minutes, they could have made a lot more money by selling me a new box. I would still prefer the in car Bluetooth because it mutes the radio and charges with the car.

Oh well... there are those fantastic business decisions that got them in their current predicament.

Like a death of a thousand cuts. Out of 1,000 owners this one thing is possibly enough to make 1 of that 1,000 go, "I'll never own a GM product again..."

I am not one of the 1 in 1,000 but it was dumb stuff like this (and much bigger stuff also) that put GM in the place they are today.

DewieJr
06-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Definitley a little misleading, as I was told I had bluetooth as well, however I HATE ear pieces and never planned on using it in the first place....but people who do want it definitley should have a right to be pissed.

Gris
06-05-2009, 03:30 AM

What he said

Virus
06-05-2009, 04:32 AM
If I had not found this board before purchasing the car, I would have made the same exact error. I had talked a local dealer down to $28900 for a loaded 2009. At the time he was way cheaper than everyone else. I then noticed 3 different MSRP's on the same equipped vehicles. That's when I started my search on why the different prices and luckily stumbled across the bluetooth issue. I should have saved $1000 and just purchased a seperate bluetooth device. Actually my Garmin Nuvi 780 has bluetooth so it would have been free :-)

netmand
06-05-2009, 06:10 AM

actually in my case I was misled by the salesman... but my car lacking the bluetooth feature didn't detract me away the deal on the car I wanted... it's just not that important to me.

Besides; the factory bluetooth feature the G8s have don't even come close to the factory bluetooth features the Camaros get. I'm just going to install my old Motorola T605 in that supports A2DP and AVRCP as well (meaning I'll be able to play music from my bluetooth devices).

WARLOCK
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
OK. WOW. just found this thread sorry im a noob here. HA I'm glad im not the only one now that sat in his drive way saying (me) "bluetooth"... (car) "thank you goodbye"... (me) "wtf?" I really didn't know jack about these cars but I couldn't figure out why the first one i test drove was $1500 more than the second dealer i went to. Hey and the first one had cup holders in the front of the back seat, all the ones on this lot dont.. huh.. The dealer was clueless, but actually after calling pontiac and being told mine did not have bluetooth after running the vin I was a little ticked because I had an aftermarket head unit in my GTP that had it and I loved it, so I felt screwed. But the next day i just dropped by my buddies stereo shop where we discussed a hardwired add on bluetooth, no big deal, problem solved and for alot less money than buying the first one i drove.. but overall it is B.S.

atlasshrugged
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
You know, I bought an early 09 and I pretty much knew I didn't have BT...but you guys who buy cars without driving them or knowing what is in them...um, I got nothing for you. That's just dumb. Sorry.

I make a point of knowing far more about the car than the dealer does. It is a pretty low bar but you have to be armed with the facts. Go home and get your shinebox.

Panzer Leader
06-07-2009, 12:38 PM
You do know that you can mute the radio, don't you. If not press the right thumb wheel OR press the volume knob on the radio in, Both mute the radio.

Seattle09GT
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
You know, I bought an early 09 and I pretty much knew I didn't have BT...but you guys who buy cars without driving them or knowing what is in them...um, I got nothing for you. That's just dumb. Sorry.

I make a point of knowing far more about the car than the dealer does. It is a pretty low bar but you have to be armed with the facts. Go home and get your shinebox.

I'm curious on how you drive a factory order or dealer swap car first before buying it? I've dealer swapped my last three vehicles, the first time I drove all three of them is when they came out of the make ready department.

jonjones88
06-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I made the exact same mistake. What I seen on the web (not forums) said it was in th 09. Went and test drove one, checking the major things, and the sales person was going over everything and when he got to the electronics he pointed out that it had bluetooth for hands free calling, etc. I mean I guess I could have said, lets go through and pair a phone to prove it, but I trusted what I had seen, plus what he told me. Guess I'm just dumb. However, I would not have bought it without bluetooth. I will not buy a 10,000 dollar car without it being integrated in the vehicle. Buying a 100 speaker is not the same, it does not mute the radio, turn down the fans, etc. I'm gonna try the new module fix on the other forum. My dealer has agreed to try since they gave me false info. Let you guys know how it turns out.

Panzer Leader
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I like seperate components. Initial cost is less, they go car to car, and if one breaks the whole freaking unit does not have to be changed out. (Cost Savings) As far as muting the radio I have the mute button on the steering wheel or the radio itself. Never had a problem with fan noise.:windy: But that is a press of a button also. By the time I have done this, 2 rings have taken place. I am not really in that damn of a hurry to talk to someone anyway.:puke:And as for calling out, the same procedure applies.:wacko:

timg8
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Bluetooth was not a deal breaker for me, I hadn't even thought about it until I saw the Bluetooth symbol on the steering wheel. It would have been a great bonus to be able to mute the radio and answer/make a call with the touch of one button on the steering wheel.

Had I not seen the symbol on the steering wheel I would not have given it a second thought. I bought the car to drive not talk...lol

Seattle09GT
06-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I made the exact same mistake. What I seen on the web (not forums) said it was in th 09. Went and test drove one, checking the major things, and the sales person was going over everything and when he got to the electronics he pointed out that it had bluetooth for hands free calling, etc. I mean I guess I could have said, lets go through and pair a phone to prove it, but I trusted what I had seen, plus what he told me. Guess I'm just dumb. However, I would not have bought it without bluetooth. I will not buy a 10,000 dollar car without it being integrated in the vehicle. Buying a 100 speaker is not the same, it does not mute the radio, turn down the fans, etc. I'm gonna try the new module fix on the other forum. My dealer has agreed to try since they gave me false info. Let you guys know how it turns out.

Well at least your dealer is going to try, mine said suck my balls.

jonjones88
06-12-2009, 03:28 AM
I like seperate components. Initial cost is less, they go car to car, and if one breaks the whole freaking unit does not have to be changed out. (Cost Savings) As far as muting the radio I have the mute button on the steering wheel or the radio itself. Never had a problem with fan noise.:windy: But that is a press of a button also. By the time I have done this, 2 rings have taken place. I am not really in that damn of a hurry to talk to someone anyway.:puke:And as for calling out, the same procedure applies.:wacko:

In the case of the fan, you have to take your eye off the road. I totally understand your point of view, however. Anything to make my wife a safer driver, is a plus in my opinion, especially when shes driving the G8!!! :nah:

Seattle09GT
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
The saga continues, my salesperson fired off an e-mail that has send my head spinning off of its neck. I'm "Post of the Day" over at the Motley Fool investment site, where I've been a big supporter of GM for the last five years.

http://www.fool.com/community/pod/2009/090616.htm

I believe this link does NOT require you to be a registered member to see my rant, errrr, story, and the e-mail the dealer sent me yesterday.

Now it is all about the principal of it, I'm not letting this go.

TxNessie84
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I still fail to see how it is GMs problem that you didn't read the window sticker before you bought your car. But whatever floats your boat.

Seattle09GT
06-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I still fail to see how it is GMs problem that you didn't read the window sticker before you bought your car. But whatever floats your boat.

What part of the car was delivered without a sticker in the window do you not understand? When it showed up from the dealer swap, from the other dealer, it arrived without ANY sticker in the wndow. How am I suppose to examine and read something that is not there. :spank:

Steve
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
At this point I would probably tell them to go F-them selves and buy/get the parts myself (talk to wickedmom or so about maybe her getting the right part for you) and do it.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the 'principle' of the thing and they SHOULD do it for you because they are flat-out wrong, but all signs points to them having their heads too far up their asses and that they never will do anything about this unless you start dragging lawyers into it :(

grandmacpubah
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
not to hijack the thread, but am I to understand we can get the new onstar module with bluetooth from a supplier like pace? how much?

jonjones88
06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, my dealer just told me that they cannot order the part, as GM will not sell it to them. Kinda didn't make sense to them either. They are still working on it for me, but this does not look good.

BigV8
06-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I was one also that was told by the saleman in January, without asking, that it had bluetooth, I also believe GM did wrong and should right it. So I got so mad about no bluetooth I bought a GXP. LOL

Seattle09GT
06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I was one also that was told by the saleman in January, without asking, that it had bluetooth, I also believe GM did wrong and should right it. So I got so mad about no bluetooth I bought a GXP. LOL

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

NAH! LOL

The problem for me is this is my daily drive and I drive 1.5K to 2K miles a month. Its not that I can't afford the gas at 13/20 MPG, it is I choose not to. Ya I know is 15/24 ALL that much better, the gas guzzler tax had a big impact on my brain cells, I'm getting right around 18 MPG combined 70/30 city/highway - so I'm happy with that.

But I have to admit, I like your $40K Bluetooth option!!!

TxNessie84
06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Sorry but before I drop 30K+ on a car I am going to make sure that everything is right on the car and what I expected. Best of luck to you in getting it resolved to your satisfaction though.

Seattle09GT
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
The pen is mightier than a sword.

A couple of GM execs read my blog. My file has been transferred to GM executive offices and reopened based on a phone call I just got from GM Corporate. They have contacted the regional rep and my service manager who are working on getting the new OnStar module with Bluetooth. Most important, I got an, "I'm sorry for the run around you have received."

I'm sorry with no buts attached goes a long way for me.

I also told GM corporate I am not alone, that there are literally dozens of complaints and that a quiet TSB to address this for impacted owners would buy a lot of long term good will from a rather enthusiastic bunch of GM owners.

My problem isn't solved yet, but I'm one step closer.

Seattle09GT
06-18-2009, 11:24 AM
not to hijack the thread, but am I to understand we can get the new onstar module with bluetooth from a supplier like pace? how much?

Yes and no.

You can get the module, but it won't be programmed. Without the programming for your specific car, you're dead in the water. GM's stance on this right now is, "don't even ask."

I say that is BS for the owner's who were expecting this. What if you ordered a new 2009 G8 say in April of 2008 when the books were opened and you expected to get this option. That pokes holes in the, "drive it first, should of known better," as it was a promised option as a standard feature. I mean if you held off getting an '08 because you wanted XM, so you order a '09 and then GM decided after the fact, "nope, not doing it," how would you feel? Especially if you knew that the wiring was right there in the trunk with a harness hanging down, you just need the module to plug it in, and then GM refuses to sell you the module.

If the dealer had been honest and said, "no," or said, "some have it some don't, lets find you one that has it," or if this was major surgery requiring wires run all over the car, steering wheels pulled, holes drilled and ripping out the interior, I would have far less of an issue. Finally, my OnStar module is broken out of the box as it is, they have to yank it out to service it. So now the whole, "we won't," because we already know it isn't an issue of can't if you have steering wheel controls and a 2009 G8, it is an issue of won't, doesn't hold a lot of water.

08G8V8
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM
The pen is mightier than a sword.

A couple of GM execs read my blog. My file has been transferred to GM executive offices and reopened based on a phone call I just got from GM Corporate. They have contacted the regional rep and my service manager who are working on getting the new OnStar module with Bluetooth. Most important, I got an, "I'm sorry for the run around you have received."

I'm sorry with no buts attached goes a long way for me.

I also told GM corporate I am not alone, that there are literally dozens of complaints and that a quiet TSB to address this for impacted owners would buy a lot of long term good will from a rather enthusiastic bunch of GM owners.

My problem isn't solved yet, but I'm one step closer.

And after you get them to allow this for the early '09 models, convince them to provide this as an upgrade option for us '08 guys!

Seattle09GT
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM
And after you get them to allow this for the early '09 models, convince them to provide this as an upgrade option for us '08 guys!

My understanding is this is a "dead end" on the 2008 due to issues that go beyond the OnStar module.

jonjones88
06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
My dealer just went through all the paces, said they called Onstar, got a dead end, called Detroit (who they meant is my guess, I assume corporate) and was told that they could not get the part. They said if I could get the parts they would pay for it and install it. But it would be nice if THEY could get the parts. Could you get me in touch with your contact so I can get them talking to my dealer? Thanks!!!

Seattle09GT
06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
My dealer just went through all the paces, said they called Onstar, got a dead end, called Detroit (who they meant is my guess, I assume corporate) and was told that they could not get the part. They said if I could get the parts they would pay for it and install it. But it would be nice if THEY could get the parts. Could you get me in touch with your contact so I can get them talking to my dealer? Thanks!!!

When I speak to the executive offices at GM again on Monday I will read them your post word for word and tell them there is others. Now that Sellers Auto Sport has announced reprogramming for $399 at their dealer (no mail out kit) yesterday, it completely crushes GM's stance that this "can't be done."

Apparently it can be done, and a Pontiac dealer is doing it for their customers. This goes back to my point. The dealer should have known better, but there is a tangle of information on when/where if/isn't available out of GM. I can give some points for that. But for GM to take the stance of it "can't" be done when it can be done simply means they won't do it.

Won't do it is a big part of the reason why GM has the problems they have today. I think there is a way to solve this problem, make those dissapointed happy, without turning it into a free for all retrofit into all of the L1/L2 cars built. I plan to talk to corporate about it.

I make no promises, they could tell me go jump off a cliff on Monday or offer something even more radical like swapping out the car (that to me would be beyond silly).

I will keep you posted.

jonjones88
06-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks dude!!!

richm52
06-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for taking up the fight!! Please keep us posted..

mpneill
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Indeed, thank you for the leg work. Hopefully this will work out for all of us.

Seattle09GT
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I make no promises, so far all I've achieved is getting some people who appear to care actually talking about the problem, that doesn't mean the resolution won't be more of the Dick Cheney treatment.

jonjones88
06-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Any word yet?

Seattle09GT
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Any word yet?

GM corporate has committed to call me from 2 to 4 PM PDT today. Word will come this evening on progress.

jonjones88
06-22-2009, 10:19 AM
GM corporate has committed to call me from 2 to 4 PM PDT today. Word will come this evening on progress.

Stupid Pacific Time!!! :nah:

Seattle09GT
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Talked with GM, working on two issues:

1) Getting Bluetooth in my car

2) Getting something done for everyone else

So on point one it appears that I will be getting Bluetooth. I can't get into the details of how/who/why YET as this is still being discussed, and I don't want to cause problems for anyone.

On the bigger picture I am going to be talking to GM again on Friday to discuss this further. I still believe strongly that GM should do something in the form of a TSB.

Seeing how Sellers has figured something out, something that GM has said is impossible, I stand again, the whole "can't" issue is a "won't."

GM IMHO should do something to keep their enthusiast owner's happy. One downside, there are at the most 24K voices out of the millions of vehicles they'll sell in 2009, so in the collective, we're a whimper.

fiveoh
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Talked with GM, working on two issues:

1) Getting Bluetooth in my car

2) Getting something done for everyone else

So on point one it appears that I will be getting Bluetooth. I can't get into the details of how/who/why YET as this is still being discussed, and I don't want to cause problems for anyone.

On the bigger picture I am going to be talking to GM again on Friday to discuss this further. I still believe strongly that GM should do something in the form of a TSB.

Seeing how Sellers has figured something out, something that GM has said is impossible, I stand again, the whole "can't" issue is a "won't."

GM IMHO should do something to keep their enthusiast owner's happy. One downside, there are at the most 24K voices out of the millions of vehicles they'll sell in 2009, so in the collective, we're a whimper.

They should realize(if you haven't told them) that by you posting here, every single other 2009 owner on here will be calling them to get the same thing you get. I hope they release a TSB. Otherwise I will be calling them every day.

Seattle09GT
06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Same thing - no recourse. Worked my way up the ladder till I got the following. I did send him my vin and he confirmed it does NOT have bluetooth.

Mark...

I know that this doesn't really help in your particular case, but I wanted to provide you with an honest answer about what happened. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way of "retrofitting" the Bluetooth capability to your earlier build car. It would require new OnStar hardware which is simply not possible to replace in your car, as the wiring and sensors of the OnStar system are VERY complex and designed for installation only during assembly.

...Regards,

Jim Hopson
Manager, Pontiac Communication

We now know, given what Seller's is doing, this is not a true statement. In defense of Jim Hopson he does say, "to the best of my knowledge."

Wonder if you can write him back with a link to what Seller's is doing and explaining, nicely, that yes, actually it can be done without gutting the car.

richm52
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted. You've made more progress than the rest of us. I went to the Sellers site and I didn't see anything related to this issue. Do you have a link? Again thanks for the updates.

johnbell2
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I sympathize, but at the same time I researched the ever-living crap out of this because people call me on the phone while driving enough for me to care.

I trained my dealer to look for an L3 VIN. I also told him if he was smart he wouldn't accept dealer trade for anything other than L3 VIN from then on out because everyone and his brother expects 'tooth in the 09. I believe he completely gutted 09.5 inventory out of a Houston dealer after that and the dumbasses probably still don't know what hit 'em.

A big pet peeve I've always had with the General is .5 model year changes. In this day and age it's pure bean counter bullshit and shows an utter lack of logistical foresight.

I forget who else posted this, but GM would save themselves a ton of grief if they were just willing to spend an extra $100-200 per unit on their cars and spread that money into interior features. On a $30k no one and I mean NO ONE is going to be worried about a rounding error like that if they get exactly what they want in a vehicle.

Seattle09GT
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
I sympathize, but at the same time I researched the ever-living crap out of this because people call me on the phone while driving enough for me to care.

I trained my dealer to look for an L3 VIN. I also told him if he was smart he wouldn't accept dealer trade for anything other than L3 VIN from then on out because everyone and his brother expects 'tooth in the 09. I believe he completely gutted 09.5 inventory out of a Houston dealer after that and the dumbasses probably still don't know what hit 'em.

A big pet peeve I've always had with the General is .5 model year changes. In this day and age it's pure bean counter bullshit and shows an utter lack of logistical foresight.

I forget who else posted this, but GM would save themselves a ton of grief if they were just willing to spend an extra $100-200 per unit on their cars and spread that money into interior features. On a $30k no one and I mean NO ONE is going to be worried about a rounding error like that if they get exactly what they want in a vehicle.

The average car buyer isn't even going to know what a RPO code is.

An above average buyer shouldn't have to memorize them.

jonjones88
06-23-2009, 04:10 AM
One downside, there are at the most 24K voices out of the millions of vehicles they'll sell in 2009, so in the collective, we're a whimper.

G8 is not the only vehicle with people wanting to add OEM Bluetooth. I have been wanting to add it to my 07 sierra. Now in that case, I knew it did not come with Bluetooth. So I would be willing to purchase the parts myself and have it done. When the 09's came out the same thing happened. People found a way to put the same VCIM (same part number) in the trucks. Then GM (and/or Onstar) found out that people were doing it and put a lock down on the VCIM. So there are ALOT more people out there wanting to add it. The should just come out with a retrofit kit. People would actually buy it, and GM could actually make some profit.

Edit:
Here is the thread at the truck forum I am referring to:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78031&st=36

Hessian
06-23-2009, 04:38 AM
I was quite disappointed to not have Bluetooth on the first car I bought. I knew better on the second one, still - trying to find an 09 with it is a pain. GM shouldn't even have mentioned blue tooth for 09 if they weren't going to put it in all models for that year.

Seattle09GT
06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Got e-mail from my dealer asking for "a few more days."

Feels like they are dragging their feet at this point.

Dealer claims that GM engineers are talking to some people that have implemented a solution (not saying who but it is no big secret on who). No idea on if they are working on a larger solution for all, hoping I'll go away, or working on a specific problem.

I will not let this go - still fighting the good fight.

richm52
06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for keeping the rest of us posted.

Panzer Leader
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Well it looks like the 2009 G-8s with Bluetooth (that actually work) will be the rarest of the rare. What a criteria to determine a collectable car.

jonjones88
06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not letting it go either. My dealer was waiting until you talked to GM tomorrow. Are they still talking with you on Friday?

Seattle09GT
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not letting it go either. My dealer was waiting until you talked to GM tomorrow. Are they still talking with you on Friday?

Yes, GM corporate is still talking to me tomorrow.

My understanding from the dealer is Pontiac engineers are now engaged with this. I'll take that as a very good thing, but possibly working on a broader "thing," what that is I don't know.

I made it clear to my dealer today I am not going to "cool down" and forget about this (e.g. if this is a stalling tactic, it's not working).

I do believe they want to make good on this, we all need to be patient for a bit longer (I hope).

r33pwrd
06-25-2009, 08:03 PM
will be the rarest of the rare. What a criteria to determine a collectable car.

:crazyman:

Seattle09GT
06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Well it looks like the 2009 G-8s with Bluetooth (that actually work) will be the rarest of the rare. What a criteria to determine a collectable car.

So I'm going to guess a Pacific Slate GXP with the six-speed manual, leather and sunroof, and with Bluetooth and the rear seat slide out drink holders is going to be the rarest G8 there is. Only 45 Pacific Slate GXPs built.

Seattle09GT
06-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I am not the bearer of good news, or really any news.

Sadly I had left my phone on mute this morning so when GM Corporate did call, it rolled to voice mail. The person they did have news for me and so I called back, but did not speak to my rep. The file is noted to tell me that it will take at least three more weeks while they work on this.

I was at the dealer today and met with their customer service rep, the service manager and the owner. They feel basically stuck in the middle and very frustrated given the information I've shown them here and at the other site, and pointing to Sellers in Detroit and what they are doing. Like everyone else has experienced, they can't even get the module for my car to install it in the first place.

And so it goes around and around. GM is suppose to call me on Monday, and I plan to let the rep I am working with my displeasure on this taking a couple of days turning into a week turning into a month. It is very clear this is not an issue of "can't," but an issue of, "won't."

I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!

mpneill
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I am not the bearer of good news, or really any news.

Sadly I had left my phone on mute this morning so when GM Corporate did call, it rolled to voice mail. The person they did have news for me and so I called back, but did not speak to my rep. The file is noted to tell me that it will take at least three more weeks while they work on this.

I was at the dealer today and met with their customer service rep, the service manager and the owner. They feel basically stuck in the middle and very frustrated given the information I've shown them here and at the other site, and pointing to Sellers in Detroit and what they are doing. Like everyone else has experienced, they can't even get the module for my car to install it in the first place.

And so it goes around and around. GM is suppose to call me on Monday, and I plan to let the rep I am working with my displeasure on this taking a couple of days turning into a week turning into a month. It is very clear this is not an issue of "can't," but an issue of, "won't."

I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!!!

This idea may be a bit over the top, or unrealistic, but how about a conference call to GM from the members of the major G8 forums?

By the way, does GM know that Sellers has a working Bluetooth 09 G8? Or is Sellers trying to keep that information from GM?

sweetair
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Just jumping in here now. How I didn't read from day one is beyond me. I too thought Blue tooth was in my 09. Same thing tried to connect in On star and got hung up on. I called the dealer back in Nov when I bought her and they confirmed that there was NO Bluetooth in my ride. It would be a nice feature but let it go.

YOU GO! I like it. Principle is a huge thing and you were told it was there. Keep us posted..............

dllb
06-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Everything is negotiable. I'd just ask for a super discount on Onstar and so many minutes for 5 years or the term of your loan..

jonjones88
06-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Whats the latest Seattle09GT?

Seattle09GT
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
They never called on Monday :(

I guess Fritz was lying when he said that in the new GM customers would come first.

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Update. Engineers at Pontiac/GM working on this issue are back from vaca (at least that is what I was told in e-mail) and I should have an answer by the end of this week.

I will keep all posted.

jonjones88
07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Patiently waiting..... Thanks for the update!!

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
JUST got off the phone with General Motors Executive Office.

General Motors WILL be installing Bluetooth in my G8. The new module has been ordered and my dealer will be contacting me by the end of the week to schedule the install. I believe they are going to use the procedure outlined on the "other" site, replacing the OnStar module, adding the Bluetooth antenna and snipping the white mute wire (not sure).

I asked the Executive Offices about everyone else. What about the other people who have e-mailed me, PMed me, and contacted me via my blog. I was told that the engineers are working on a broader fix for all (surprise) and that something is coming. I have no time table on when/what/free/pay/integrated/something else.

The person I have worked with overall been very candid so I will take it at their word they are working on a larger solution. In my specific case the main reason I'm getting something before the rest of the herd is the dealer (the salesperson specifically) sending me that e-mail basically saying I'll forget about it one day. Had I never got this e-mail, this would have never gotten escalated to this point.

I told corporate about what they did with the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanches with fading cladding. They didn't do a recall, they did more like a TSB on steroids. If impacted Avalanche owners "knew" to ask, they could get their cladding, even out of warranty, treated for free to restore it by a third party and GM would pay. If someone complained at the dealer it would show up in the TSB database.

I also told them that the G8 ownership is very diverse, and there are a significant number of conquest purchases. That G8 owners are "influencers" in marketing speak. They are passionate about cars and driving (overall) and their opinions do matter in the circles they walk in, that making a subset of G8 owners happy over this would go a very long way to helping out the new GM.

I wish I could say to all, so in two weeks call your dealer, reference TSB number, blah blah blah....but I don't have that information. I do plan to continue to follow up on what will happen to the rest with issues.

I'm excited that I'm getting my Bluetooth, and I now feel satisfied (well I will when this is all done) with the outcome.

68rustang
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM
You have the opportunity to inspect and accept or decline any car before signing any papers and driving off. You didn't do that. In your haste you overlooked a missing feature that is apparently very important to you. However, instead of accepting some responsibilty yourself for not checking before accepting the delivery you are now ranting and raving all over the internet about how GM screwed you. How is this GM's fault? I can see you having a beef with the dealership that they somehow misrepresented the car to you, but you immediately dismissed them as not being at fault. Why? If you are the above average consumer you claim to be you would know not to trust a car salesman, at all, ever.

If I were GM I would have told you to go pound sand, you should consider yourself lucky since they are bending over backwards to help you.

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 11:12 AM
You have the opportunity to inspect and accept or decline any car before signing any papers and driving off. You didn't do that. In your haste you overlooked a missing feature that is apparently very important to you. However, instead of accepting some responsibilty yourself for not checking before accepting the delivery you are now ranting and raving all over the internet about how GM screwed you. How is this GM's fault? I can see you having a beef with the dealership that they somehow misrepresented the car to you, but you immediately dismissed them as not being at fault. Why? If you are the above average consumer you claim to be you would know not to trust a car salesman, at all, ever.

If I were GM I would be telling you to go pound sand as well.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr....OK. Living in your world I will never, EVER, do a dealer swap again. Did a dealer swap and refused the first car on inspection - suggest you go back and reread. Ranting? Well ranting got me what I wanted, I'm getting Bluetooth installed. Sorry you're dissapointed in GM for stepping up.

68rustang
07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
How does the fact that you refused the first swap excuse you from having to perform due diligence on the second? From your own description you went over the first pretty closely. How can this be anybody's fault but your own for not checking out the second before signing any papers? I am not disappointed that GM is apparently helping you, I just would not have held it against them if they didn't.

The world would be a better place if we all threw ourselves on the ground and kicked and screamed until we are given what we want for free.

sweetair
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Good job, and hopefully there will be something down the pike for "others" that would like to incorporate BlueTooth into their G8's.

Please keep the group posted. Good luck.

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
How does the fact that you refused the first swap excuse you from having to perform due diligence on the second? From your own description you went over the first pretty closely. How can this be anybody's fault but your own for not checking out the second before signing any papers? I am not disappointed that GM is apparently helping you, I just would not have held it against them if they didn't.

The world would be a better place if we all threw ourselves on the ground and kicked and screamed until we are given what we want for free.

So then lets be REAL clear here. When GM releases a fix or option for Bluetooth, you won't be looking for a free handout that I got for all by "kicking and screaming" on principal.

Right? Just want to be clear on this. GM admitted they got their marketing wrong. They admit fault. When the dealer shows you an invoice doc, and it shows Bluetooth, I kind of take things at the face value. For example, do you before delivery of a car pull out the jack and put on the spare to make sure the jack works, the tools are all there, and the tire runs at the proper RPM so not to damage the car?

Do you insist on your car being put on a lift so you confirm exhaust configuration, and that no one bottomed out your car prior to delivery? Do you then leave during the day and come back at night to make sure every little bulb and LED works in a perfect dark environment?

The FIRST THING I did in the DEALER LOT if you READ MY POST was check for Bluetooth. The dealer was at that point CLOSED. I SELF DELIVERED my car. That is the mistake, and said as much. Had the dealer still been OPEN I would have marched back in and said, "we have a problem."

I again suggest go back and reread, but if you have a 2009 G8 I sure hope you don't plan to ever get Bluetooth added if it is offered - kind of makes you a hypocrite if you do.

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Good job, and hopefully there will be something down the pike for "others" that would like to incorporate BlueTooth into their G8's.

Please keep the group posted. Good luck.

I will. I do believe they are working on "something," even if that something is releasing the OnStar modules.

68rustang
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
So then lets be REAL clear here. When GM releases a fix or option for Bluetooth, you won't be looking for a free handout that I got for all by "kicking and screaming" on principal.
I again suggest go back and reread, but if you have a 2009 G8 I sure hope you don't plan to ever get Bluetooth added if it is offered - kind of makes you a hypocrite if you do.

No, I won't be looking for anything, mine is an '08 and I already installed a BlueStar board. I find it hard to believe that GM included something on an invoice that wasn't there but blames it on their marketing. I do generally check things out pretty closely when I am cutting a check for $30K, not as freakishly anal as you suggest but enough to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

Enjoy your BT and OnStar :)

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
No, I won't be looking for anything, mine is an '08 and I already installed a BlueStar board. I find it hard to believe that GM included something on an invoice that wasn't there but blames it on their marketing. I do generally check things out pretty closely when I am cutting a check for $30K, not as freakishly anal as you suggest but enough to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

Enjoy your BT and OnStar :)

Well here is the punch line. I bought a Ford Probe new back in the day in 1988. One of the first kids on the block with one. At around 47K miles walked out at work and had a flat tire. No issues right. The spare tire wouldn't fit, the wrong bolt pattern. I kid you not!

I contact Ford afterwards and Ford told me too bad, too much time has passed since purchase. I asked them if it was reasonable to expect me to make sure my spare tire was right at delivery. They said yes. I haven't owned a Ford since, and I to this day consider my Ford Probe the best car I have ever owned hands down. From a combination of utility, looks, performance, economy, ease to modify and work on, and reliability.

After that experience I've been pretty darn anal on delivery of my vehicles, and again, Bluetooth was the very first thing I went to check in the electronics check list when I sat in the car. Hindsight being 20:20, I should have driven home pissed off with no car after wasting a whole day, and come back on Tuesday after the holiday to go through the car. Had I done that, things might have gone differently.

GM is taking responsibility because they marketed the G8 with Bluetooth, the paperwork showed Bluetooth but it didn't have it. We can get into the, "why," all day long but the reality is some beancounter that hopefully no longer works for the General is the person with the answer. I know from others who have e-mailed and me and replied in this thread, I'm not alone. Others have had the exact same issue. Including one person who had the dealer write in the "we owe" section of the contract and then refused to do anything. Now THAT sucks.

Finally, I didn't pitch a fit and stomp my feet until after my salesperson wrote an e-mail on the customer service's manager behalf basically saying one day I'll forget about all of this and laugh, to heavily paraphrase. Wrong answer, and everyone that has seen that e-mail has been horrified when they've read it as the wrong way to handle things. I actually believe had that e-mail never been sent to me, I would not be getting this installed and would not have gotten this escalated.

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh ya, I don't check my spare tire bolt patterns, I think that is pretty insane, but I did make sure I had my inflator kit. Of course will it work when I plug it in...hmmmm....

fiveoh
07-14-2009, 02:08 PM
If I end up getting a bluetooth fix from GM, you will be my new best friend. :) Thanks for all you've done.

jonjones88
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, thanks for all your hard work. Ignore the "perfect" people that do everything right. Some of us just have flaws. :)

richm52
07-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Congratulations on your success. Enjoy the bluetooth and please keep the rest of us posted on a possible solution. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

grandmacpubah
07-14-2009, 08:42 PM
:theman:

Seattle09GT
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
GM called today like they have (all but once) on time like they said they would. Parts still aren't in, my contact is on vaca tomorrow, hope to have it on Tuesday. Next week is a very quiet week for me at work so I'm hoping it will be in during the week. If not then it will be early August.

mpneill
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
News?

Seattle09GT
07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Dealer is waiting on the part from GM, GM told me dealer should have by end of week. I'm still waiting.

mpneill
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the update

vipz28
08-01-2009, 06:41 AM
and?

Cheese78
08-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Just got done reading through all of this and Seattle, congrats to you man. The sheer fact you got through to the martians at head office in itself should be commended. All the best on getting it fixed and here is hoping they make good on thier word and release something for the masses.

WARLOCK
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM
GRANTED Im pissed that mine didnt have it. Whats worse is the first G8GT I drove Im pretty sure had it and the slide out cup holders in the back seat and all, AND Im glad someone got pissed enough to call GM out on this bullshit, cause thats what it is. They advertised the 09 with BT and every salesman on the planet is walking around throwing that shit out there and dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. But waiting on GM i probably wont even own the damn car anymore by the time they decide to make us happy. screw it im going to get a PARROT. If they fix this let me know. I will get just because.

mpneill
08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
What's the latest info?

Seattle09GT
08-06-2009, 10:10 PM
My car goes in on Monday...I don't have details on the "how" they are doing it, it will be explained to me Monday AM. They're also going to check out my very squeaky sunroof and get an estimate from the paint shop on the custom rear bumper work I did a couple of Saturday's ago. :(

mpneill
08-07-2009, 05:52 AM
...estimate from the paint shop on the custom rear bumper work I did a couple of Saturday's ago. :(
What happened? I missed this.

Seattle09GT
08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
What happened? I missed this.

I backed into a Toyota Camry while parallel parking. I wasn't going that fast but the bolts from the front license plate scratched the rear bumper down to the plastic. I'm guessing $250 to $500 for paint repair. :(

I take full ownership it is my fault just sucks ass. I've had to replace my TV, two computers, a computer monitor and now replacing my fridge all in less than a month. Leaving for a two week vaca in Alaska soon so my disposable cash is getting thin - I don't like using credit cards to float stuff. Thankfully my bonus comes next month but obviously had other plans beyond body work! ;-)

Seattle09GT
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Bluetooth is being installed today. I will get the "what they did" info when I pick up the car. It is the factory Bluetooth, I know that, and I know they are replacing the OnStar module. They are also replacing the bad backup battery for OnStar and servicing my sunroof. They gave me a rental car for free and treating this for the record as "warranty" work.

(sunroof has nothing to do with the Bluetooth, just a different issue)

I will do a write up on Tuesday night (I'm slammed today) with pics.

mpneill
08-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow - sorry about your car! Hope it's all fixed by the time your BT is installed.

Looking forward to your write up and TSB info.

sweetair
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
What is the sunroof issue? Good job on the Bluetooth.

Seattle09GT
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Bluetooth - NOT installed. ACK!

They had to "look at my car" to confirm the dead back up battery for OnStar (confirmed). They have now ordered the replacement parts to fix OnStar, my new module and antenna for Bluetooth that will be coded to the car. I also was told they had to confirm the wiring. So now there will be a second appointment to get it all installed. No ETA on that one.

As far as the rear bumper the estimate is $558!!! ACK! Seriously, this is a inch long maybe 1/8" wide scratch on the rear bumper where I backed into another car (don't ask - seriously - don't ask).

My sunroof is noisy when opening and closing. They told me the guide and tracks were very dirty and needed to be lubed. I don't think it is fully fixed, still sounds like the car is 10 years old. I will have them look at it again when the BT finally get installed.

I will keep all udpated.

polo
08-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I just read this post for the first time last night, because I couldn't sleep. Honestly, I've been avoiding it because it's so damn long! Now I'm glad I read it! Good job on (possibly) getting GM to install the bluetooth!

I did a bunch of research before I bought my 2009, so I knew that only the 2009.5's had the bluetooth. But I do understand how GM was a little misleading, and how it would have been easy to think you were getting bluetooth on your car when you really weren't.

It'd be nice to have bluetooth, but it's not a necessity for me. If they offer one for our car, I'd consider getting one if the price is right. If they give it to us for free, I'll definitely get it installed, and give you a HUGE thank you!

Seattle09GT
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm under the impression that the two issues on why this is taking so long and brass jumping through hoops in a post BK environment and documenting the procedure as they go along for some POSSIBLE fix/add on/offer/who knows down the road. I know the regional rep has been involved every step of the way.

Seattle09GT
08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Well GM called me today. They are NOT going to be installing Bluetooth in my G8.

They have offered to buy my car back and let me swap it out with a late production G8 that has Bluetooth. The other option I've been given is a "couple" of car payments for the aggravation. I need to really understand all the details on what is involved in the buy back, and I have questions on non-transferable mods like my window tint - and if I end up eating that or not.

The idea of hitting a big fat reset button on my G8 seems very extreme, but their technical people are real adverse to snipping that white wire (personally I don't get it). But I see them as crazy bending over backwards to make me happy. To potentially get a G8 with a clear bra from day one, have the few other features I saw in the one I thought is interesting. I would suspect they could sell mine for what I paid for it, 4,500 miles on it and all.

Lots to think about.

08G8V8
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Well GM called me today. They are NOT going to be installing Bluetooth in my G8.

They have offered to buy my car back and let me swap it out with a late production G8 that has Bluetooth. The other option I've been given is a "couple" of car payments for the aggravation. I need to really understand all the details on what is involved in the buy back, and I have questions on non-transferable mods like my window tint - and if I end up eating that or not.

The idea of hitting a big fat reset button on my G8 seems very extreme, but their technical people are real adverse to snipping that white wire (personally I don't get it). But I see them as crazy bending over backwards to make me happy. To potentially get a G8 with a clear bra from day one, have the few other features I saw in the one I thought is interesting. I would suspect they could sell mine for what I paid for it, 4,500 miles on it and all.

Lots to think about.

I guess if that is how they want to handle it, I'd take them up on that offer. Maybe even pay the difference and get a GXP!

Seems crazy to me that is even an option.

fiveoh
08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess the rest of us are SOL then. I'd take the payments personally. ;)

mpneill
08-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I guess the rest of us are SOL then. I'd take the payments personally. ;)

I think you've got the right idea. Besides, Sellers is an option, not a close to home option, but they may come out with an at-home install kit.

jonjones88
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Well that just sucks balls (for us). I would take the new g8. Unfortunately, they need an expensive lesson.

Seattle09GT
08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
My girlfriend speculates that they are doing this approach because although this cost them more money for this ONE case, it is cheaper than addressing the issues with the other cars. Now it is a "special case," because I screamed loud enough.

I'm trying not to be that cynical but I've worked in corporate American for twenty years and well - it seems to make sense sadly.

I'm leaning to doing the swap but again I need to understand everything.

I was told at a high level:

1) No charge for mileage and reasonable wear/tear on the car. So I'm covered here - I have about 4,600 miles and a few paint chips (well a few by G8 standards).

2) 1:1 swap - e.g. I can't say gee I want a V6 or a GXP now and lets call it good - or another GM product like a CTS. No issues there either.

3) I am responsible for transportation of the swapped vehicle. My view is I would just go pick it up. There are no cars like mine with Bluetooth in the Western United States. The closest one is in Texas. Actually - I would love to pick up my car somewhere and drive it back, that would be EPIC, especially a G8 in the fall. If I went with a different color combo there might be one closer I would guess. But I've grown to really like the white, it is so classy and has a color shifting quality to it. I would accept a white car with a black/red interior if that moved the needle. Other colors I would consider is Sport Red Metallic or Pacific Slate. I think those two colors and the white are the classiest looking (no offense to others) and the rarity of the Pacific Slate makes it interesting.

Questions I have:

1) Window tint - I would want them to tint the new car - the one I'm turning in I paid to have tinted, that seems fair.

2) What happens with state sales tax? Do I have to pay for any of that?

3) What happens with registration and fees? Do I have to register a new car on my nickel? The registration in Washington follows the car, no pro-rating?

4) Are there any other additional charges or costs?

5) If I wanted to "add" something or somethings to the new G8, could I do that (I want the backup assist installed).

6) As part of new vehicle delivery would they install the 2008 gauges out of my returned car and/or the auto dimming mirror (I suspect yes if I pay labor).

7) Do I get another three months of free XM Radio and, another year of OnStar?

8) What happens if I go to pick up the new G8 somewhere and there are other issues, paint trashed, mechanical issue, etc. etc. - what are they going to do to make sure that the car is really READY to go when I go for delivery. Fine, I'm a picky bastard but I'd hate to get on a plane, rent a car, stay in a hotel, drop off rental car, get transport to dealer to then find out the rear end is screwed up or the paint looks like it was cleaned with a brillo pad.

Anyway I will keep all updated - but the "we'll replace your car and call it good" solution seems really EXTREME to me. But given the choice of having 4,700 free miles in a G8 and starting over knowing all I know now, or taking $1K for my troubles, I think having a new car makes sense (as long as it is really that simple - as mama always said, if it's too good to be true...)

grandmacpubah
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
you really should take the payments and plow it into your g8.

I know it seems tempting to get a new G8, but you are taking a risk on a car with potentially bigger issues than the one you have. You haven't had a leaky oil pan, no suspension clunks etc etc...

I'm not saying these problems are widespread, although on a forum it can seem like it, or that your car will never develop problems, but its still a risk at the end of the day...and is it really worth taking?

If you really wanted a different color...or they would have let you paid the difference to a GXP, I'd think about it, but if all you are going to do is get another white one...idk...seems like a lot of hassle to me, when they are ready to cut you a check.

sweetair
08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow, now this is something to think about. Have you tried a $35 mobile Bluetooth device out there. I have one and it works great. It clips on the visor. I do not know what your payments are but this could upward of $500. I would think hard about the money.

Seattle09GT
08-19-2009, 08:01 AM
So I've clarified it is two payments, so it would be less than $1K total, but still a good chunk of change.

I'm weighing in my my mind, depending on how some of the other questions are answered have I used $750 to $1000 worth of G8 since May of 2009. I figure at 4,800 miles I've used about 1/7th of the tire life and would of course take a mileage penalty. If I could do it again I would have gotten a clear bra before I even took the car off the lot, and there is a chance in the paint chip department to have a do over, and to reverse what is on the car today would cost more than the $750 to $1000.

BUT - the counter arguement to this is I do have a mechanically sound Pontiac G8 that's only vice to date is a broken floor mat holder on the driver's side and a somewhat noisy sunroof on open/close. No shakes, no oil leaks, AC blows cold (wish it blew colder but it's not horrible), etc. etc. etc.

I could hop on a plane, pick up a G8 somewhere else and be dead on the side of the road 300 miles later (not likely, but POSSIBLE). Also could end up in a brand new damn it get it right banging my head against the wall if I show up to find the paint swirled to Hell or other issues.

There is also an impact to my own personal time to R&R the SAS gauges, the catch can (thank God I kept the stock plumbing) and yanking the subwoofer.

If they tell me too bad on the window tint, that will weigh into my decision also, that is $300 I have to do over. There is also just the question of logistics on picking up, turning in, etc. etc. and that has a value on my time also.

The idea of being able to go backwards, have a clear bra, possible get the SRM I wanted in the first place (but I love white I have to admit) and possibly find one with the red leather interior accents -that's cool (I can change option groups if I want).

On the other hand I've invested in my current car, that is mechanically sound from end to end beyond the common complaint of thin paint, which won't be addressed on the new car, but I can mitigate better.

Right now I'm leaning toward replace - but I have to see the big picture. Also the rumors are bonuses because of the economy aren't going to be, errr, generous this year, I find out on Friday what that is going to be. If it's small, then a shot of cash becomes more attractive. On the other hand I busted hump this last year and did a lot of good work, if it's fat...I'll decide on Friday afternoon, assuming GM has inventory info available (there are hardly any 2009.5 G8 GTs left in the country I'm told).

I did tell them for colors:

White with Onyx or Onyx/Red is my first choice

SRM with Onyx is my second choice

Pacific Slate with Onyx is my third choice

SRM with Onyx/Red is my fourth choice

I think these are the "classiest" colors available.

Seattle09GT
08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
UPDATE:

I'm leaning toward exchange car based on current events:

1) Tint - too bad so sad, can't help you.

2) Tax & License - don't know finding out

3) Rear back up assist, can install as part of new car delivery - woot!

4) SAS guages - will do R&R and exchange from old G8 to new G8 no charge. BIG WOOT (and softens the blow on the window tint)

5) OnStar and XM trials - doesn't know if I get the new trials (which would give me basically two years of free OnStar and another three free months of XM, which again helps make up for the window tint)

6) Picking up the car myself and road trip - depends on the other dealer if they are willing to do it

7) Haven't found a White Hot / Onyx Black 9L3 S/N all option G8 GT - may be very difficult.

sweetair
08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Take the money and invest the payments into your retirement and have a laugh on GM in 20+ years.

polo
08-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even consider trading my car for another one. I've only had it a little over a month, and I'm too attached to it! I wouldn't want to risk getting one that has some serious issues, unlike lack of bluetooth. I'd take the money, and buy something nice for the car you're considering getting rid of. ;)

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do. I think you're seriously lucky they're giving you these options. I'm surprised they didn't stick to their original "sorry you're out of luck" stance.