PDA

View Full Version : Even Consumer Reports Is Asking Why GM? Why? Why Kill The G8

Seattle09GT
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Basically I think that Consumer Reports is a bias piece of crap that hates just about anything from an American manufacturer whos editors throw up in their mouths a little bit every time they think about the Chevrolet Avalanche being on their 2009 recommended list over the Toyota Tundra, but with that said...

Even Consumer Reports is asking, "why," when it comes to the G8. Their take on it, the G8 should live on as the Impala.

In other news today, Hell has frozen over.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/05/gm-cuts-performance-cars.html

grandmacpubah
06-02-2009, 09:13 PM
interesting...I'd rather see it as a buick GNX...but that's just me, and unfortunately I don't think either will happen.

here's a direct link to the G8 write up.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/05/dont-let-the-pontiac-g8-wither-and-die.html

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 04:07 AM
This car has Buick all over it. And the perfect name, ROADMASTER, ROADMASTER GT and the ROADMASTER GNX. Chevy implies cheap, and that God Awful logo.

MANOFSTEEL69
06-03-2009, 04:24 AM
I would rather see it as an Impala SS. Other than the Grand National Buick says nothing to me but old man car.
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

wreckwriter
06-03-2009, 04:32 AM
I would rather see it as an Impala SS. Other than the Grand National Buick says nothing to me but old man car.

+1

PaFromFL
06-03-2009, 05:24 AM
I would rather see it as an Impala SS. Other than the Grand National Buick says nothing to me but old man car that is ridiculously overpriced.

majesticix
06-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I agree. Impala SS all the way.

TNTNT
06-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Another vote for Impala SS. It is a shame to not have these cars live on.

rt66er
06-03-2009, 06:25 AM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2064&stc=1&d=1244042648

JAM
06-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Chevy has the Camaro so shouldn't Buick get the G8 if it survives?

JAM

MANOFSTEEL69
06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Chevy has the Camaro so shouldn't Buick get the G8 if it survives?

JAM
Buick should not have survived over Pontiac, period. They don't diserve a cool car, the old people wouldn't know what to do with it.

fredl11
06-03-2009, 06:45 AM
that guy Joe is not enamored with the Corvette as he believes: Posted by: Joe | Jun 2, 2009 2:04:52 PM

The Corvette may be all-American, but it is also all-white trash. If your going to go for a decent sports car, you should look up brands like BMW or Audi. Brands that aren't cheap junk. The Corvette will be around for a while, only because of the low price tag.
:hang:

richm52
06-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Buick should not have survived over Pontiac, period. They don't diserve a cool car, the old people wouldn't know what to do with it.

+1 - no way Buick should have survived over Pontiac

r33pwrd
06-03-2009, 07:03 AM
that guy Joe is not enamored with the Corvette as he believes: Posted by: Joe | Jun 2, 2009 2:04:52 PM

The Corvette may be all-American, but it is also all-white trash. If your going to go for a decent sports car, you should look up brands like BMW or Audi. Brands that aren't cheap junk. The Corvette will be around for a while, only because of the low price tag.
:hang:

Tell that to Paul Allan and Bill Gates... (both are vette owners) I really dont think of them as "white trash"

99-LS1-SS
06-03-2009, 07:05 AM

+2

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Did anyone see the picture of the Buick version of the G8? Don't vote for the Impalla until you have. It looks better than that Malibu on steriods.

pokey
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Did anyone see the picture of the Buick version of the G8? Don't vote for the Impalla until you have. It looks better than that Malibu on steriods.

+1

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
+1 - no way Buick should have survived over Pontiac

Buick is more profitable than Pontiac and is a strong global brand, that is why Buick was kept. If GM had sold off Buick it would have surely been bought by a Chinese company who would garner huge chunks of marketshare just because of the name.

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
The Zeta based Buick Park Avenue they get in China is pretty damn awesome looking.

My understanding is in the Middle East, the G8 is a Chevrolet Caprice SS and looks just like the ones we have here in North America with bowties on it instead of the Pontiac arrowhead.

camoeto
06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
If GM is instersted in marketing the G8 properly, making it a Grand National would be a bad idea. One of the reasons why the G8 sold as poorly as it did is that the G8 has no name recognition. I doubt most people that GM targeted as the G8 buyer base knows for or cares what a Grand National was. It has been dead for too long. Yes, I'm talking about Euro/Japanese buyers. I was one of them. Impala SS or Caprice SS would make a lot more sense. I doubt a GM lifer would really care either way.

Chooch
06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I would say without reservation, if this was rebadged a Impala SS 2 major things would happen. 1). You would see this cars grill in nascar in a year 2). they would be sold out in the south due to Nascar involvment. I having relatives in the south know that if there was an Impala SS, v-8 and rear wheel drive, any Nascar Chevy fan would go ab buy one if they could.

55belairgasser
06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
ImpalaSS all the way!!! - Lance

johnbell2
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM
This car has Buick all over it. And the perfect name, ROADMASTER, ROADMASTER GT and the ROADMASTER GNX. Chevy implies cheap, and that God Awful logo.

+1 gazillion, that is a GREAT idea thumbs up :thumbsup:

superspud
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I vote buick ^ is ugly.

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Check out the other G-8 forum powered bu V Bulletin. There are pictures as a 4 door Canero and a Buick. (Actually the 2 door version) The Chevy would be OK BUT that logo removal would be my first modification.

R.Penguin
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, fuck it!

Let's all get together and buy the rights to market the G8 in the U.S. I think Holden might like to increase their foothold here and we might get a good deal.

I will even start it out! I, the miserable little greasy feathered, rank smelling penguin hereby pledges an entire $1.00 to the cause. C'mon you whiners! Let's get 'er done! :rofl:

In addition, since it was my idea, it should be named and badged as the Penguin SS.

Purf
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2064&stc=1&d=1244042648

Geez, a Bowtie on a Pontiac. Not sure I could take that..........

R.Penguin
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
It is not a Pontiac, and it never will be. :p

r33pwrd
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM

ummm last time I checked the G8 was a chevy with a ugly pontiac symbol on it...

R.Penguin
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM
ummm last time I checked the G8 was a chevy with a ugly pontiac symbol on it...
Nope!! :no: Looking at the window sticker from my '09 PSM, lower right corner:

"Final assembly: Holden Motors, LTD. Elizabeth, AUS."

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION

U.S./Canada - 13%
Mexico - 15%
Australia - 52%

"Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution, or other non-parts costs."

Hmmmmm. So there is 20% part content unaccounted for! HOLY SHIT! Maybe this explains why some of us seem to have problems that others don't have. :p

:rofl:

G8GT721
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
In addition, since it was my idea, it should be named and badged as the Penguin SS.

i dont think i would ever drive a car called a penguin lol

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Nope!! :no: Looking at the window sticker from my '09 PSM, lower right corner:

"Final assembly: Holden Motors, LTD. Elizabeth, AUS."

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION

U.S./Canada - 13%
Mexico - 15%
Australia - 52%

"Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution, or other non-parts costs."

Hmmmmm. So there is 20% part content unaccounted for! HOLY SHIT! Maybe this explains why some of us seem to have problems that others don't have. :p

:rofl:

Quite right Old Bird! Where are the 20% of missing parts? Somewhere strewn on the Yellow Brick road no doubt. Carted off by those pesky flying monkees. Assisted by the wicked witch of the East. I pledge $ to the cause. With the numerous G8/Commordore/Impala/Buick models Holden will come out on top. The meaning of the Holden Lion Logo on top of the world will be realized. Oz will no longer be known as The Land Down Under. GM stock will surge to $55.00 a share. Build it and they will buy it! Well at least 25,000 of us did.

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I would suggest the Panzer SuperSport, but I just don't think the logo Panzer SSwould sell in some parts of the country.

01350ta
06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I would say without reservation, if this was rebadged a Impala SS 2 major things would happen. 1). You would see this cars grill in nascar in a year 2). they would be sold out in the south due to Nascar involvment. I having relatives in the south know that if there was an Impala SS, v-8 and rear wheel drive, any Nascar Chevy fan would go ab buy one if they could.

I agree, i think these cars would really sell big if they where rebadged as the Impala SS.

SpeedRacerX
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I must be one of "those" oddballs who was glad the G8 was like nothing else that existed in the U.S. from an American car company, had an entirely different name, G8, and had no ties or legacy to what I remember as certain cars that gave GM its crappy reputation to begin with...

Yes, I do agree that NASCAR would be all over it.

But I was one of those buyers who left GM and American car companies for Honda and Toyota because the GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles I owned through the 80's and 90's were crap. Yes, they performed but not without my car rattling apart or being in the shop every other month. Even my Vette spent more time in the shop than I had it on the road yet I still would love a new Vette or CTS-V for that matter.
My Honda and Toyota simply required gasoline and an oil change for 5+ years. Nothing else, no worries, they just ran, couldn't kill them. No pieces falling off over time unless I caused it.

I bought the G8 because a part of me believed the hype: "poor man's BMW", "everything a BMW 5 series can do and more for half the price", and my favorite..."the family man's Corvette."

This car brought me back into the GM and American car family. Oh, I also bought it because I was thinking Pro-American at the time and I wanted to support the U.S. car makers and the U.S. economy (save the Aussie statistics, I get it).

I don't regret buying this car one bit. It's one of the most awesome vehicles I have ever owned.

But...to think that this might get called some kind of Impala or something - that just conjurs up all kinds of bad memories.

Do I want to see it survive? ABSOFRIGGINLOOTLY! As an Impala or something "legacy?" No. If it had more time to sell and receive praise in the marketplace, more of those Beemer and Infiniti guys would have come back to GM after consistent ass-kickings by G8s and their chicks and wives wondering what that car is.

I probably just hung myself on this Board :hang:

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I must be one of "those" oddballs who was glad the G8 was like nothing else that existed in the U.S. from an American car company, had an entirely different name, G8, and had no ties or legacy to what I remember as certain cars that gave GM its crappy reputation to begin with...

But I was one of those buyers who left GM and American car companies for Honda and Toyota because the GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles I owned through the 80's and 90's were crap. Yes, they performed but not without my car rattling apart or being in the shop every other month. Even my Vette spent more time in the shop than I had it on the road yet I still would love a new Vette or CTS-V for that matter.
My Honda and Toyota simply required gasoline and an oil change for 5+ years. Nothing else, no worries, they just ran, couldn't kill them. No pieces falling off over time unless I caused it.

I bought the G8 because a part of me believed the hype: "poor man's BMW", "everything a BMW 5 series can do and more for half the price", and my favorite..."the family man's Corvette."

This car brought me back into the GM and American car family. Oh, I also bought it because I was thinking Pro-American at the time and I wanted to support the U.S. car makers and the U.S. economy (save the Aussie statistics, I get it).

I don't regret buying this car one bit. It's one of the most awesome vehicles I have ever owned.

But...to think that this might get called some kind of Impala or something - that just conjurs up all kinds of bad memories.

Do I want to see it survive? ABSOFRIGGINLOOTLY! As an Impala or something "legacy?" No. If it had more time to sell and receive praise in the marketplace, more of those Beemer and Infiniti guys would have come back to GM after consistent ass-kickings by G8s and their chicks and wives wondering what that car is.

HERE HERE!!! This brought tears to my eyes. I bought the car for the same reasons after tracking it from the start. High Hopes! Plus the fact that we never fought a war against the Aussies helped out a lot. In fact spent a lot of time in strange lands with them. Yes, if it means moving south to have a great car I am on my way. Another reason, I saw the movie, On The Beach when I was 10. Nothing like the being the Last Racer, on the last Lap, of the Last Race.

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2745656036_d7a3a8cea0.jpg?v=0

I have to say, the Buick Park Ave that have in China is a good looking car. I think calling it a Grand National or Roadmaster Super would harken back to some legendary names. Could even possibly get some of the upgraded Chinese goodies, we don't get DVD Nav, they do. :nah:

Panzer Leader
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I heard for the first time today that the G8 was the Park Avenue in China. Not bad looking at all. Add the trwin air scopes on the hood. You could even put a Holden Lion in place of the Buick logo. BTW what is that logo suppose to represent? I know the Pontiac originally was (Before Political Correctness) the Indian Chief. My uncle had one, the hood mounted Indian Chief lighted up at night. Now that was cool.

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I heard for the first time today that the G8 was the Park Avenue in China. Not bad looking at all. Add the trwin air scopes on the hood. You could even put a Holden Lion in place of the Buick logo. BTW what is that logo suppose to represent? I know the Pontiac originally was (Before Political Correctness) the Indian Chief. My uncle had one, the hood mounted Indian Chief lighted up at night. Now that was cool.

Buick logo is three shields in Red White and Blue. The Chinese love it. :flag:

Seattle09GT
06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2007-buick-shanghaigm-park-avenue-chinese-version-cockpit-interior-view-588x376.jpg

Here is a pic of the interior of the Chinese Buick Park Avenue. Like the DVD Nav up high on the version they get. You can keep the faux wood.

aboatguy
06-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The Zeta based Buick Park Avenue they get in China is pretty damn awesome looking.

My understanding is in the Middle East, the G8 is a Chevrolet Caprice SS and looks just like the ones we have here in North America with bowties on it instead of the Pontiac arrowhead.Yep I loved driving the Caprice LTZs in the gulf back in 99 and 00 and the new ones were even nicer. That the G8 has a little chevy in it is the only reason there is a Pontiac in my all Chevrolet line up. But as my wife's car. If chevy sold it their would be a second Holden in the driveway (as a replacement for the 02 Impala) I'd have to keep the 95 SS since GM doesn't have a four door that looks as good as the 94-96 B-body SS.
Mike

ronbuick
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Buick GXN, not GNX, old mans car, what do you think 4 drs. mean?? but I do beleive it is more of a dual purpose car though for young and old, heck even look at the ages of folks
driving Corvettes, I would venture to wager that the age group is more of a 40 or higher margin then younger.

Ron

Panzer Leader
06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Buick GXN, not GNX, old mans car, what do you think 4 drs. mean?? but I do beleive it is more of a dual purpose car though for young and old, heck even look at the ages of folks
driving Corvettes, I would venture to wager that the age group is more of a 40 or higher margin then younger.

Ron

Not if the marketing is done right. Vintage footage of the big ass, powerful for its day, ROADMASTER or GNX would be OK. The Holden has something more than power, its a Classic Design. One that is the mix of some fine European and Asian charcteristics. Function over form, clean/functional interior. Give Me The Lion (or at least the Roo) but never Impala. (BTW The Lion Stalks THe Impala):thumbsup:

dltv
06-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Nice conversion to the Chevy logo!

Hope this car lives on as I for one Love every min i drive it!

WARLOCK
06-07-2009, 07:45 PM
WELL HELL. I disagree with all of you. I think if the car lives on in this country under the GM banner I think they should resurrect another old name and call it a Chevelle SS. ok sure I know all of you will read this and wanna bash me but lets face it they have all resurrected and bastardized names of the past. The Charger? come on that P.O.S. running the streets now ain't no damn Charger. The T-Bird? did you guys see that thing? Hell at this point why not! GM wouldnt be doing any worse than the others. Actually I think the G8 would be more of a chevelle SS than a freakin Malibu give me a break.
let the :flame: begin

bobyoung
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree. Impala SS all the way.

Another vote for Impala SS, I like Buicks but their forte is comfort not performance. I have two Roadmasters and they are fast for what they are: huge V8 rear wheel drive monsters, but I can't see a Buick G8.

Seattle09GT
06-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I think Toyota should pick up the G8 and they could call them Coronas. Then the bias against GM would be gone and they'd sell about 200K a year. :(

bobyoung
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM

My first 4 or 5 cars were all Chevy's, they are or were great cars, nothing wrong with that name except they put the drive wheels on the wrong end of the car and somehow lost two cylinders, it should be brought back to it's former glory. Besides who cares what they call it as long as it is the same car? If it was called the Dumpster GT I still would have bought it unless of course if it had come from Riceland.

R.Penguin
06-07-2009, 08:30 PM
i dont think i would ever drive a car called a penguin lol
So................a bit prejudiced against penguins eh?

Shame! :p

R.Penguin
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
BTW what is that logo suppose to represent?

""The logo, or "Holden lion and stone" as it is known, has played a vital role in establishing Holden's identity. In 1928, Holden's Motor Body Builders appointed Rayner Hoff to design the emblem. The logo refers to a prehistoric fable, in which observations of lions rolling stones led to the invention of the wheel.""

How does a simple flight-challenged waterfowl know this, you might ask?

Ask all you want!

Suffice it to say that penguins are infinitely wise in many ways. :nah:

And maybe I was there.:secret:

R.Penguin
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
We should all pray that Holden runs away from the GM banner as fast as they can.

"Holden, which made a profit last month."

American Auto makers do not understand this kind of behavior. It is totally foreign to them! :p

Ben@Adams
06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I have supported GM for so long... I have owned GM product my entire life, before I could drive I was working on GM products in the garage with my old man... my first car was a camaro and I feel in love with being miserable from then on out... here I am 12 years later, driving an SUV that gets a feeble 11mpg and I'm happy about it!! Maybe I'm just a sucker for a big V8 and RWD... all I know is that as dysfunctional as my relationship with GM has been I'll probably be back for more.

Battered woman syndrome anyone??? "He hits me because he cares"

Seattle09GT
06-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I have supported GM for so long... I have owned GM product my entire life, before I could drive I was working on GM products in the garage with my old man... my first car was a camaro and I feel in love with being miserable from then on out... here I am 12 years later, driving an SUV that gets a feeble 11mpg and I'm happy about it!! Maybe I'm just a sucker for a big V8 and RWD... all I know is that as dysfunctional as my relationship with GM has been I'll probably be back for more.

Battered woman syndrome anyone??? "He hits me because he cares"

Well, you could buy a Toyota Sequoia and get 13 MPG on a good day. The illusion - General Motors builds gas guzzlers. The reality, General Motors builds some of the most fuel efficient trucks, SUVs and cars that you can buy.

The problem as I see it is that General Motors just doesn't give a you know what, they haven't given a you know what, and continue to not give a you know what. I'm feeling more and more what needs to happen at GM is a massive blood letting - anyone with the title of "manager" should be shown the door and it should all just start over.

It's the people, it is not as much the products.

Ben@Adams
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Very true.. perception has just as much to do with the current situation than anything... but I blame GM for not doing enough to change that perception. The public at large continues to think that foreign cars still have some magical ability to get better MPG... they continue to think foreign cars are a better value, but all the while GM has done very little to combat this stigma while Toyota, Honda, etc have done everything to further this false perception.