PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Koni yet?

dandragonrage
06-02-2009, 11:31 AM
As the title says, has anyone tried the Koni strut inserts? I have no interest in Pedders. Koni is far more proven, including the warranty, and also some comments from the owner of Pedders on one of the other boards did not make me want to support him. EDIT: Apparently the guy just runs the US side, not Pedders as a whole. I misunderstood. It doesn't change my overall opinion by much, but it would be unfair of me to not point it out.

Anyway, so this is a Koni thread. Anyone try them? Last I looked, I did not see them available to buy (though they were listed) on Koni's site, but they are as I look now.

wreckwriter
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Wasn't aware they existed. What type of options, if any, are there?

dandragonrage
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
sport (yellows), front and rear, inserts, adjustable (I believe yellows = single adjustable)

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2009&mak_id=36&mod_id=529&submit.x=47&submit.y=1&submit=Search

Panzer Leader
06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
So lets see, KONI Yellows, (Would you use the Pedders Strut Bushing or not?) Eibach Springs, Pedders bushings on the rest of the suspension and BMR sway bars? Thyat would be interesting but I think that it would be better to go with the same company on everything. BTW What did the Pedders owner say to turn you off to Pedders?

dandragonrage
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Same company on everything makes no sense. Why would you think that? Bushings from one company working best with their own struts? It makes no sense. They are unrelated parts. Koni is a very old and well known company that makes excellent products, has a great warranty, and stands by that warranty. On my last car, I put Tokico HPs because I didn't want to pony up for some Konis. They were decent, but Tokico warranty is useless. Konis also have some of the best useful adjustability. Pedders may or may not be good - and maybe they are just as good - but they do NOT have the proven history of Koni. Period.

And the other board thread I was referring to can be found by Googling: pedders immature unprofessional -- this is way off topic, though, and I would prefer any further discussion that people might want to do go to a new thread.

Not a big fan of BMR, either, after they copied Sam Strano's F-body springs. Not the worst thing a business has done, and definitely not the first time it's done, but when there's an alternative to BMR and Pedders, I will take it. (Again, if this is something you guys want to continue to discuss, let us please take it to another thread. PM me if you make one and I don't notice/post in it.)

I'm not going to drop my car. I'm not bothering with Eibachs. I don't know how they are for the G8s, but Eibach springs for my previous car (a 99 Camaro Z28) were absolute crap. It's like they chose the spring rates by throwing darts at a board labeled with numbers that they used for the spring rates. Unfortunately for me (and, IMO, the G8 community), Sam Strano has no interest in the G8, though if he does stuff for the new Camaro, some of it may work on the G8. We'll have to wait and see.

But anyway, back to Koni.

syP
06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Have them on my SHO.. love them!

i can only imagine how they would react on a FE2 suspension :woohoo:

Panzer Leader
06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Ok understand. Back to Koni, that is the only thing you wish to change out? You do not believe that the sway bars, and bushings need to be replaced? (If so, Alternatives please) In your opinion, any value added from a strut tower brace? BTW the only reason I stated going with a package suspension from a single supplier, would be that the components were tuned together, therefore achieving the optimum performance level. But if you do have other companies out there please let us know.

dandragonrage
06-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I will be doing some stuff, but I'm not planning to replace the whole suspension. You can use Koni shocks/struts with basically any spring that will work with any other damper. Koni is about the most durable that you can get. I am also a Bilstein fan, but unfortunately they have nothing for the G8.

I will probably do some of the bushings, but I need to research that more. I do not trust companies that offer polyurethane all around, because honestly, it is often NOT a good choice. Lots of components NEED the deflection offered by rubber or rod ends. But I don't want to go for rod ends on a daily driver.

There are some components that work best together, but it's usually not necessary. Think of it the same way as you'd think of people saying you should buy Pioneer speakers to go with your Pioneer receiver because they will work best together. They are decent enough, but they are not the best, and the statement is just wrong.

That said, if someone can prove that Pedders struts can hold a candle to Koni, I might buy them. I don't expect this, but I'm all ears.

I am not a believe in strut-tower braces. I believe them to be a complete waste. But keep in mind I'm coming from a 4th-gen F-body which had shocks, not struts. Much less of a lateral load on them in the Camaro. I am still not convinced of their need in the G8, and I have yet to see any scientific testing on it. User accounts are all but useless, and this includes any that I may give (I'm not above the placebo effect either).

mtolivecracker
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I have no interest in Pedders. Koni is far more proven, including the warranty, and also some comments from the owner of Pedders on one of the other boards did not make me want to support him.

I just read a thread that also gave me the same feeling as you. I am also in the market to lower the G8 and am going through options.

menace
06-18-2009, 03:31 AM
They are doing Koni's with Kings springs here in Aus. Expensive but their Koni's.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/sswsp/VE%20Koni%20Kings/IMG_1584.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/sswsp/VE%20Koni%20Kings/IMG_1577.jpg

The front look like they are inserts (no a problem IMHO).

You can contact Koni or Luke @ wholesale suspension for part numbers...

Thread Link here: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=114907

menace
06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Found Part numbers (please be aware these are from Oz)

Front Shocks: Koni Sports K8610-1439SPT
Rear Shocks: Koni Sports K82-2567SPT

Ktlplxm
06-18-2009, 04:58 AM
I personally have always thought Koni's were overpriced for the performance given, and before you ask yes I have had 2 sets of them and then called it quits. I would personally rather have Bilsteins than both of them. The G8 is the only Eibach equipped vehicle I've had that I was not 100% pleased with on their spring rates. The rear is a little mushy sometimes. I agree with the STB statement, they are useless for anything other than something to lean on while changing plugs.

MtbDoc
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I have Koni shocks & inserts in my GTO, but am actually going to be installing a set of XA coilovers (both GTO and G8). Never really thrilled with the specific feel in the GTO, but I also have been through a couple of different springs. The B&G springs were BAD, the Pedders springs are better. I just am ready to try the coilovers for both cars and see what happens!

OTOH: I would agree that I have seen some really piss-poor behavior by some vendors. Before ole Pete actually got control of Pedders here in America, I was dealing with someone else (for the GTO). I made a statement on the GTO board and Pete threatened to sue me. NOT good. And honestly, Pedders has screwed up my shock orders on these coilovers repeatedly. What I CAN tell you is that I have a lot of trust and respect for Mike (dms). He was great back with Dublin Motor Sports for the GTO community, and I trust HIM with Pedders. People do NOT equal products. I have found less than satisfactory responsiveness from some manufacturers of certain parts...

...just a sign of the age IMHO.