PDA

View Full Version : passenger side suspension noise/popping sound

RB Designs
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Does anyone have info about the control arm popping issues ?
I thought I saw a thread on this a while back but can't seem to find it.
It was something to do with the ball joints having problems.

stryker g8gt
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=5327&highlight=ball+joint

jnak
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Replacing the lower control arms fixed the noise on my driver's side.

Now my passenger side is starting to make noise. I love this car, but I can't believe how poorly built it is.

mk5ck
06-08-2009, 02:26 AM
:woohoo: After months of dealer trips and parts being on order they fixed the popping noise from the front passenger side. First they replaced the motor mount, no luck. Next they replaced both lower control arms, no luck here either. Next try was upper control arms and both strut bearings and bushings. Guess what that did not fix the problem either. They finnaly found a broken weld on the sub frame that was allowing things to flex and pop. The frame was welded and no more popping. It actually sounds and drives like it should. This process took over three months to get completed. Just a heads up if you are having simmilar problems have them check the frame welds.

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 05:13 AM
:woohoo: After months of dealer trips and parts being on order they fixed the popping noise from the front passenger side. First they replaced the motor mount, no luck. Next they replaced both lower control arms, no luck here either. Next try was upper control arms and both strut bearings and bushings. Guess what that did not fix the problem either. They finnaly found a broken weld on the sub frame that was allowing things to flex and pop. The frame was welded and no more popping. It actually sounds and drives like it should. This process took over three months to get completed. Just a heads up if you are having simmilar problems have them check the frame welds.

Thanks for the update! And I thought I was going nuts! Is GM going to do a recall or TSB. OR are they just let the situation get worse and lose a lot of customers?

Chewy
06-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I just brought mine back to Modern Muscle for a checkup as I was also getting a clunk in the suspension. Mine was in back. So I had Phil look at it again and it just baffled both of us but we both heard it. We are also somewhat concerned that the rear springs never push up completely into there perches.(for lack of the right name)

The noise we ended up tracking down to a loose sway bar end link. A couple of turns with the wrench and I was back on the road again with my quiet car.

Had some Chicago style pizza, went to Trader Joes and headed home.

All in all a great day...

Slizzo
07-06-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm going to dig this one up after letting it sit for a while, I'm starting to get some noises on the driver's front of my car. Sounds like rattling when coming to a stop or driving slowly, and sometimes the steering "groans" when taking turns at low speeds. This only happens after I've been driving the car for over an hour.

Checked my intake about a week or two ago, and tied it up to one of the ground points in the engine compartment, so I know it's not that rattling around now. You guys have any ideas if this is the same issue?

jnak
07-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah that sounds like the same thing that was happening to mine. The combination of new struts, strut mounts and lower control arms fixed it for me.

R.Penguin
07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I just brought mine back to Modern Muscle for a checkup as I was also getting a clunk in the suspension. Mine was in back. So I had Phil look at it again and it just baffled both of us but we both heard it. We are also somewhat concerned that the rear springs never push up completely into there perches.(for lack of the right name)

The noise we ended up tracking down to a loose sway bar end link. A couple of turns with the wrench and I was back on the road again with my quiet car.

Had some Chicago style pizza, went to Trader Joes and headed home.

All in all a great day...
Good show!

I don't suppose you remembered to get me some rice crackers at Joes didja? :p

Chewy
07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Good show!

I don't suppose you remembered to get me some rice crackers at Joes didja? :p

Nope sorry... Wouldn't if they weren't brown rice anyways...:)