PDA

View Full Version : Auto Issues

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Most of you know I am a tech, but what most of you dont know is the skill level of this tech. If any member here has ANY type of automotive related issues on ANY brand of car, post it here. If you think the price is high you are quoted or just want a second opinion, post it or PM. I have 25 years of experience and am Master Certified.

GT-610
09-10-2008, 04:59 AM
stop frightening me with those big terms like "master certified"

you are my hero,Chuckles!:urock:

sorry,did i put too much butter on your bread?
but seriously,thanks for the offer

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I see so many people pay to get things fixed and they still have the same problem after 100s of dollars. Since I do this for many shops over the phone, it is just an added perk of being a member. I really do enjoy the challenge too.

Cobra
09-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Most of you know I am a tech, but what most of you dont know is the skill level of this tech. If any member here has ANY type of automotive related issues on ANY brand of car, post it here. If you think the price is high you are quoted or just want a second opinion, post it or PM. I have 25 years of experience and am Master Certified.

OK Charlie, What's with the brakes on the G8's? Every morning I back out of the garage with light brake pressure it sounds like my rear brakes are squeaking. Another board has just started this thread and it seems alot of our cars are doing this. One poster stated the dealership pulled the pads, beveled them and no more squeaks. Isn't that just a band aid on a sucking chest wound?

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 05:09 AM
You too! Its 100s of us. I am going to take mine apart when I paint calipers and inspect. I think the salt water air in shipping is coating the rotors creating a glaze. If I do some 100 to 20 stops its fine for days, but if I wash car, its back worse then ever, which indicates a definite glaze issue.

jnak
09-10-2008, 05:15 AM
I've noticed the same thing - not really a squeal, more of a grinding sound. I have also noticed that they are "grabbier" when they are wet. A little nudge of the brake pedal and the car slams to a halt.

macgto
09-10-2008, 05:21 AM
My rear brakes squeaked in reverse also. Car was just in the shop on Monday, and the tech took off the rear pads and beveled the edges. Worked like a charm. No more squeaks!

mac

Chewy
09-10-2008, 05:23 AM
I think it's the pads chattering! I of course don't have a G8 but I have seen this in other cars. Beveling the pads can help!

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 05:28 AM
I dont know why they didnt just bevel them from the factory. Most Euro cars and imports are that way now.

Chewy
09-10-2008, 06:19 AM
My buddy came over who was a ASE certified mechanic to look at my pulley and he thinks his steering wheel puller will do the job. Thoughts?

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Never gonna happen! The flats on the balancer in the middle is what the pulley is grabbed by on the stock 1. The new 1 his idea would work.

EC-Ryder
09-10-2008, 06:33 AM
stop frightening me with those big terms like "master certified"

you are my hero,Chuckles!:urock:

+1 LOL! :arsekiss:

That’s good to know and thank U Charlie for your kind offer, as I have been retired from the industry for the last few years in pursuit of other endeavors and the G8 has brought back my interest to it as it is an interesting product in a new direction.

But more importantly is your experience behind those certifications, as I have seen some of my techs pass with flying colors and do it quickly. I also saw one of those techs cut a bracket with a torch to remove a water pump…Go figure! Scares the pants off me! Needles to say he did not last long in the trade.

As for the squealing brakes I’m going to share a little trade secret with U all that I somehow learned and spread around to my people and contacts long ago in a galaxy far…far away.

But first let me just say that all disc brakes are prone to squeal at one time or another and does not mean that there is something wrong unless you hear a metallic scratching like sound indicating wear indicator noise. That maybe the reason some people get so uptight, but it is annoying when it’s a constant squeal.

For the record mine don’t squeal yet, but I broke them in like Miss Daisy. But I honestly can’t say if that really made a difference as there are many other factors in play. But U can greatly control squeal if your rotor is true and your pads are in good condition.

After this is where my trade trick comes in; I take some lithium brake grease in my finger not a glob, but just enough to shine the metal were all the caliper contact (rubbing) points takes place. Charlie will know exactly were they are located on the G8…I must caution not to be liberal as if it is excessive it is possible it could melt some and lower your braking efficiency should it find its way to the pads or rotor.
But you can identify them easily as they will leave rubbing marks as they clasp when applied.

I have used this in consumer and commercial application and never had any negative outcome.
My techs tried this and kept doing it on their own so that to me speaks for it self that its use has merit to control squeal.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

Chewy
09-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Never gonna happen! The flats on the balancer in the middle is what the pulley is grabbed by on theh stock 1. The new 1 his idea would work.

OK that makes since as all he's seen is the new one!

I will order the right one then!

Cheers,
Chris
:first:

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 06:40 AM
+1 LOL! :arsekiss:

That’s good to know and thank U Charlie for your kind offer, as I have been retired from the industry for the last few years in pursuit of other endeavors and the G8 has brought back my interest to it as it is an interesting product in a new direction.

But more importantly is your experience behind those certifications, as I have seen some of my techs pass with flying colors and do it quickly. I also saw one of those techs cut a bracket with a torch to remove a water pump…Go figure! Scares the pants off me! Needles to say he did not last long in the trade.

As for the squealing brakes I’m going to share a little trade secret with U all that I somehow learned and spread around to my people and contacts long ago in a galaxy far…far away.

But first let me just say that all disc brakes are prone to squeal at one time or another and does not mean that there is something wrong unless you hear a metallic scratching like sound indicating wear indicator noise. That maybe the reason some people get so uptight, but it is annoying when it’s a constant squeal.

For the record mine don’t squeal yet, but I broke them in like Miss Daisy. But I honestly can’t say if that really made a difference as there are many other factors in play. But U can greatly control squeal if your rotor is true and your pads are in good condition.

After this is where my trade trick comes in; I take some lithium brake grease in my finger not a glob, but just enough to shine the metal were all the caliper contact (rubbing) points takes place. Charlie will know exactly were they are located on the G8…I must caution not to be liberal as if it is excessive it is possible it could melt some and lower your braking efficiency should it find its way to the pads or rotor.
But you can identify them easily as they will leave rubbing marks as they clasp when applied.

I have used this in consumer and commercial application and never had any negative outcome.
My techs tried this and kept doing it on their own so that to me speaks for it self that its use has merit to control squeal.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

I did that when I got the car and deglazed the pads and rotors, but it came back pretty quick. I do this and lube all caliper slides on all brake services I do.

EC-Ryder
09-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Well then…Charlie I guess this means U are beyond my realm of competence…:charlie:

LOL!

Cheers!

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 07:01 AM
I hate rechecks so therefore I dont have them.....on anything!

PostalCherokee
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I recently noticed a squeak coming from the driver side rear tire. I can't hear it while driving and I haven't noticed a change in ride comfort. I notice the noise when I sit down in the seat and the car moves or if I was to push down on the trunk. Any ideas? And before you think of any fat jokes I'm 6'1 215lbs...so it's not that!:cool2:

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 04:18 PM
It might be a bushing. I have not had mine do it or read any service bulletins about it, but I will keep a look out!

PostalCherokee
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm going to keep an ear out. If it gets worse I guess I can just call my dealer and set up an appointment.

GT-610
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
as far as brakes go,I have always greased the caliper brackets(removeable ones)before sliding in the new pads,its just good practice

but for those who experience a grinding noise,especially during the last few seconds of a stop or slowly in reverse,they might be glazed due to harsh break in period like was mentioned earlier
buddy of mine is a Master tech as well for 15 years now and said to try taking some 220 and sanding the pad surface a little.

ever heard of this,Charlie? it might cure lightly glazed pads
(my GP had this problem and it took 5k to go away)

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I did the sanding also. I have found that it will need a light maching amd a beveled edge on teh pads and it will be gone. It only does it in reverse so when I paint calipers I will knock it out.

-Ray-
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
My brakes don't squeak at all. In fact, lots of the problems posted about haven't shown up in my G8. Except the crappy wipers.

Chewy
09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
My brakes don't squeak at all. In fact, lots of the problems posted about haven't shown up in my G8. Except the crappy wipers.

Knock on wood!:om:

G8GTlawride
09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
No issues with mine either. Broke it in very gingerly though on the brakes. One question, when the brakes wear past the bevel, will the squeal come back?

Eidolon
03-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Unfortunately, I'm getting a pretty bad squeal from my right rear brake on slow stops. If I brake harder, it stops. All other brakes are fine, including the Brembos up front. Dealer checked the pads and they've still got plenty of material. Sounds like I may have been a little harsh on them when I got the car. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this is some serious thread necromancy, but it came up in a forum search and seemed the proper thread.