PDA

View Full Version : Way off topic for G8 owners

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
My winter vehicle is a 1999 GMC Yukon. It has had all of the typical problem that these vehicles have had (shame on GM). Last summer I rebuilt the motor and it is running great. The biggest/only problem that I am having is that the fuel pump keeps failing. It is currently on #4 since I have had the vehicle. I was recently traveling in Oklahoma for business and it went out again on my drive back. SUCK!!!!!:rant: I beat on the gas tank for an hour with the tire iron before it finally decided to kick on (good for me). Anyways, I like the vehicle. It isn’t worth selling for what I have in it, so I want to keep it. The problem is that I never know if it is going to leave me stranded.

My questing is, does anyone have a good solution to minimize my vulnerability? I’d like to somehow remove the fuel pump from inside the fuel tank and mount it to the firewall, even if that means that my gas gauge does work. Any ideas would be helpful since I will be dropping the tank soon. I think if I don’t hear anything better, I am going to cut a hole in the floorboard so at the very least I can replace the fuel pump without having to drop the tank.

wreckwriter
09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Can you just put an electric pump inline with the stock, powered with toggle switch, that you can just flip on when the stock one goes?

Any idea why its failing? Crap in tank possibly??

Andy@Livernois
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
when you say you are replacing them, where are you getting the pumps from? GM? generic parts store?

what brand are these? The only 2 i will use is walbro, or OE GM (which is usually walbro)

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Oreilly sucka55 special. Like everything Oreilly sells. The price difference was like $400+. (I guess I'm finding out why)

The tank wasn't dirty when I removed it. I'm not sure why the fuel pumps fail. Especially when you can beat the snot out of them from underneath to get them going again.

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Can you just put an electric pump inline with the stock, powered with toggle switch, that you can just flip on when the stock one goes?

Any idea why its failing? Crap in tank possibly??

I don't know if you can add another fuel pump. That would be the best way to go if it is possible to get it to work.

I don't know why they fail. Probably because the came from Oreilly. The tank wasn't dirty (as far as I can tell), but it could be the problem.

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM
The brand is Airtex.

http://www.airtexproducts.com/

wreckwriter
09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't know if you can add another fuel pump. That would be the best way to go if it is possible to get it to work.

I don't know why they fail. Probably because the came from Oreilly. The tank wasn't dirty (as far as I can tell), but it could be the problem.

I guess the question is that when the stock pump fails does it leave the pipe open or closed. If open, a Holley inline pump or whatever, should suck it through.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
My winter vehicle is a 1999 GMC Yukon. It has had all of the typical problem that these vehicles have had (shame on GM). Last summer I rebuilt the motor and it is running great. The biggest/only problem that I am having is that the fuel pump keeps failing. It is currently on #4 since I have had the vehicle. I was recently traveling in Oklahoma for business and it went out again on my drive back. SUCK!!!!!:rant: I beat on the gas tank for an hour with the tire iron before it finally decided to kick on (good for me). Anyways, I like the vehicle. It isn’t worth selling for what I have in it, so I want to keep it. The problem is that I never know if it is going to leave me stranded.

My questing is, does anyone have a good solution to minimize my vulnerability? I’d like to somehow remove the fuel pump from inside the fuel tank and mount it to the firewall, even if that means that my gas gauge does work. Any ideas would be helpful since I will be dropping the tank soon. I think if I don’t hear anything better, I am going to cut a hole in the floorboard so at the very least I can replace the fuel pump without having to drop the tank.

The pigtail harness to the pump needs to be changed! This is overlooked most on diagnosing these vehicles. Put a new pigtail and make sure it is a quality assembly and change fuel filter every 15k and it will last 125K +. Remember, Fuel cools the pump, always running below a quarter of a tank reduces life by 30+ %. I have easily replaced 100s pigtails and 1000s of pumps in GM vehicles. If anybody has an issue with any kind of car, ask me before you spend $$$. I will probably know or can find out. The G8 info is limited, but I specialied in GM trucks for 20 yrs and still do.

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Charlie!:worthy:

I presume that the pigtail is the electrical piece being plugged into the fuel pump.?. If so, is this a GM part from the dealer or can I get one at a good price elsewhere?

Thanks again!

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
The dealer sells the pigtail for about $20 I think. You mat ask Greg @ Pace and have him send you 1. When you beat on the tank the windings in the pump are jarred or the failed connector finally makes a connection. The bad connector is what causes the pumps to fail do to hi resistance. Dont use Airtex, or any cheap shit for the pump, ask Greg for a price on Delco, and if that is high, PM me and I will find you one and ship it to you.

G8Smitty
09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
:theman:

Thanks Charlie! I will hit up Greg.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
If anyone on this site has any kind of automotive related issues with any car PM me or Post. As a matter of fact I will start a section for it.

EC-Ryder
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
+1 I believe Charlie is dead on a solution to your problem.

U should have a very long life on that pump. We once put 175k on a Chevy and traded it in and it was still going strong.

The only thing I maybe able to add is to be sure and change the pump inlet sock filter that should be part of the fuel pump assembly, as I believe it may have one if I’m not mistaken, and it may or may not come with one from the ppl you are buying the fuel pump from. :repair:

Just a thought

Cheers!

JoeSyko
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
+1 I believe Charlie is dead on a solution to your problem.

+2

My 1990 Amigo has a very similar problem. The fuel pump will shut off intermittently. I can get it working again by bending or squeezing the wiring harness that comes out of the top of the fuel tank.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
+2

My 1990 Amigo has a very similar problem. The fuel pump will shut off intermittently. I can get it working again by bending or squeezing the wiring harness that comes out of the top of the fuel tank.

It too uses that connector assm.

G8Smitty
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Do you think I should start just by replacing the pigtail first and see if I continue to have the problem or should I do both? I really hate spending much money on this vehicle, but I guess it is better than driving my G8 in the crappy windter weather.

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
You can do the pigtail, but odds are the pump is already bad.

G8Smitty
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
You can do the pigtail, but odds are the pump is already bad.

That isn't the news I wanted to hear :)

Would it be in my best interest to pressure wash (no soap) the tank before reinstalling it? Obviously I will let it completely dry. Since you’ve done this a bunch you know how big a PITA it is especially in the driveway. If I go with a new Delco pump and pigtail; I don’t ever want to have to do this to this car again.

Thanks Charlie.

GRRRR8
09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
You can pressure wash or hose off the outside to get rid of loose dirt. Get the module assembly(the entire piece) put a new seal on the assm and install. I usually put a little grease on the seal to aid in sealing. While the tank is out do the harness. If the tank is below 1/4 its not too bad to do in the driveway. By replacing the entire assm. Your gas gauge sending unit and all other components are new.

G8Smitty
09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey Charlie,

I just wanted to thank you for the advise. I ordered the Delco pump from Greg at Pace which came with the pigtail too. My Yukon runs much better now. I completely drained the tank into a bucket and found a little bit of sand which may have caused the pump to cease (at least until I beat it will a mallet). The pigtail was not stock too and whoever put it in did a hack job. Thanks again!

--Chris

GRRRR8
09-23-2008, 07:49 AM
No problem. I am glad you will have some peace of mind.