PDA

View Full Version : I ask my fellow G8 owners to get a grip on reality...

Robert@KBXPerformance
05-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I cannot stop chuckling at some of the antics I read in the kill sections of the few G8 forums we have on the net. This probably doesn't apply to about 80% of you on this forum but for the other 20%, well listen up. Some of you people really need to get a grip on reality when it comes to which vehicles the G8 GT and G8 GXP can beat in stock, mildly modded, and highly modded form. I haven't said much about this except the occasional comment until now but when I read that people are now talking about their G8's being able to take sport bikes... What?!?!?!? Did he just say sport bike??? I love my G8 to no end and support the car quite a bit but there is a time when you just got to say enough is enough with some of the claims. We all know that there is allot to be said for the drivers in a race. I am not here to refute that occasionally the "slower" car does beat the "faster" car. However when people start making posts to the affect of "600cc bikes are cake", "GT500's only run 13.3's", "I beat a cammed LS2 GTO from a dig", "roll raced cammed LS2 GTO and staying even from 25-125mph" (and so forth) then those ignorant few make the rest of us look like douchebags. The choice is yours boys and girls. Leave that kind of talk for the ricers and lets stick to reality. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Kermit
05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Hear, hear! Thank you for saying what I was thinking but do not have the strong background like you do, to say that. Some of that stuff is pretty far fetched.

Devilish34
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
I blew by a Z06 the other day and put buses on him bad.....

Oh did I mention it was parked in a dealers lot

sweetair
05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Reality is a nice place to live. Well said.

chipman283
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
lol! That a good one Devilish34.

GRRRR8
05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I noticed it had got a bit out of hand on sites. Bottom line: We all know what G8s run from stock to fully modded including the factory freaks and the guys that can really drive. Please keep that in mind here when posting.

'02 ws6
05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Well as I stated in response to you I did run a 13.3 but with 5600ft DA. I never said all GT500s run that, just what I've done personally, and I consider myself a decent driver. But that's still not really impressive to me, regardless of DA conditions, that's why I consider them a bit overhyped. I'm sorry that irritates you to hear that. There are always gonna be outrageous things that happen, which can usually be attributed to driver error or drivers not really running you when you think you are, just have to let them be, and lot let it get under your skin that much.

Blackrider
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree. But one thing I'm a firm beliver in, is the G8 loses a few tenths with some time one the engine. When they were first out we were seeing high 13's, now mid and even a few low 13's stock. I don't by the whole factory freak thing.

Robert@KBXPerformance
05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Well as I stated in response to you I did run a 13.3 but with 5600ft DA. I never said all GT500s run that, just what I've done personally, and I consider myself a decent driver. But that's still not really impressive to me, regardless of DA conditions, that's why I consider them a bit overhyped. I'm sorry that irritates you to hear that. There are always gonna be outrageous things that happen, which can usually be attributed to driver error or drivers not really running you when you think you are, just have to let them be, and lot let it get under your skin that much.

According to the actual altitude and weather conditions you stated in your other post the DA was more like 7500'+ above sea level not 5600'. DA takes actual altitude, barometric pressure, relative humidity, and air temperature into account to calculate the oxygen content of a given volume of air relative to what average altitude that would be encountered at. If you did a calculated correction of that ET based upon that figure then you would see what true numbers the vehicle would run at the average sea level track in normal environmental conditions. Much more impressive than a 13.3 ET I can assure you that. Heck don't take my word for it, do the calc's yourself if you want.

I could not agree more that outrageous things are expected to happen on occasion. However it is when you start to see a pattern emerge is when the BS-meter starts rising. The ignorant comments that some make in the kill sections of these boards just makes G8 owners as a group look bad and uneducated overall. I just suggest that people educate themselves on the competition a little more before opening their mouths in a crowd of informed people. It does not personally bother me when they make a fool out of themselves, but I am sure that person would rather not have to eat humble pie. There seems to be allot of performance car and racing newbies on the G8 boards which is a great thing because it's always nice to have fresh people within a community. It also means that those of us who have been around the block a few times have to reel them back into reality on occasion too. That is the point of this thread, nothing more. :)

done12many2
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Generally speaking, the people you are directing this thread to, do not actually respond to this advice. What you've said is all true, but I would not expect a decline.

Some people actually believe that they were knee deep in battle with every car that remotely looked as if it accelerated hard. Some don't realize that a solid jump on someone can take a very great deal for the opposing car to overcome. A 14 second car that gets a great jump on a 13 second car will appear to be doing very well for a good bit. What usually happens in this case is the 14 second car determines when the race is over by letting out while he maintains a car or two lead.

Hell, I’ve done this before. Got a solid jump on someone from a roll only to let out when I saw him gaining hard. The difference is that I knew I got the jump. I knew he was about to overtake me hard and there was no sense in going any faster so I let out. With that said, it would only be fair to say that he absolutely had the faster car. Anything short of this is the equivalent to the good old ricer blow by!

DewieJr
06-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Very well stated, however I owned a fully bolted GTO and its not that much quicker than a fully bolted G8...so I can see a G8 beating a cammed GTO from a dig...as I've owned both.

SRG963
06-01-2009, 03:23 AM
It all depends on the driver IMO.

I've walked cars that should have beat me...

and I beat a newish Honda Performance Bike with passenger on back....hehehe

lsp408
06-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Lets not have ricer talks in the American V8 forum. :D

MANOFSTEEL69
06-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Lets not have ricer talks in the American V8 forum. :D

Says the guy with a smart car for an avatar! Lol! J/K! :)

Devilish34
06-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Says the guy with a smart car for an avatar! Lol! J/K! :)
Thats not rice thats a Bratwurster

G8GT594
06-01-2009, 04:15 AM
I cannot stop chuckling at some of the antics I read in the kill sections of the few G8 forums we have on the net. This probably doesn't apply to about 80% of you on this forum but for the other 20%, well listen up. Some of you people really need to get a grip on reality when it comes to which vehicles the G8 GT and G8 GXP can beat in stock, mildly modded, and highly modded form. I haven't said much about this except the occasional comment until now but when I read that people are now talking about their G8's being able to take sport bikes... What?!?!?!? Did he just say sport bike??? I love my G8 to no end and support the car quite a bit but there is a time when you just got to say enough is enough with some of the claims. We all know that there is allot to be said for the drivers in a race. I am not here to refute that occasionally the "slower" car does beat the "faster" car. However when people start making posts to the affect of "600cc bikes are cake", "GT500's only run 13.3's", "I beat a cammed LS2 GTO from a dig", "roll raced cammed LS2 GTO and staying even from 25-125mph" (and so forth) then those ignorant few make the rest of us look like douchebags. The choice is yours boys and girls. Leave that kind of talk for the ricers and lets stick to reality. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for quoting me! Since you did i feel the need to defend myself. I beat the R6, Granted it was stock, a kill is a kill. We even pulled off into a parking lot and talk after it he couldn't believe it himself. But hey, apparently you have trouble believing some of the kill stories on here. While some may seem to good to be true (bad driver) a kill is a kill. "600cc bikes are cake" The one i beat was ;) I say continue posting whatever kills you have. If you happen to beat a 600hp vette cause he wheel spun of the line and you ended up winning guess what? Thats a kill. Its called STREET RACING for a reason. There is no rules or guidelines to follow. A kill is a kill.

netmand
06-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Having a kill section invites all kinds of stories. It's all just a matter of perspective. I take the stories with a grain of salt.

I like it, entertaining for me just as was said.

ashaal
06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Agreed, many stories require a grain of salt.....however I find that some require 25 lb block usually reserved for deer....

GRRRR8
06-01-2009, 06:37 AM
A good rider on a R6 can run hi 10s. An average rider runs 11.30s. Low 7s in the 1/8 mile for experienced riders. I am not saying what you did or didnt do. I am just saying that having street raced for over 20 years you know what you can and cant race.

G8GT594
06-01-2009, 06:42 AM
A good rider on a R6 can run hi 10s. An average rider runs 11.30s. Low 7s in the 1/8 mile for experienced riders. I am not saying what you did or didnt do. I am just saying that having street raced for over 20 years you know what you can and cant race.

Of course. I wouldn't expect anyone to believe it but it is what it is. I'm going to have to say he was a squid just by judging on his riding gear... or lack of and general knowledge of his bike. While my comment saying "600cc are cake" may not be true 99 percent of the time, there still is that 1 percent that is mostly likely due to rider error.

G8+6=fun
06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I am not here to start wars but you know everyone has a story or theory, What was done in one state might not be accomplish into another,Just lets say some say 12 seconds or 450 hp 500Lb of torque we all know those numbers change with sea level and all the good stuff that goes with it. Each vender's and each dyno say all kinds of HP gain but where is it done at it could be different in other areas so to be all true in words we all need to look at all not just some.
So to have real numbers it has to be done in the area where done. The gains with each tune is different in other areas what works for that vehicle in that state might not be the same in another so I say we all tell a little story in our life time and let life take it course of its own. Read it if you all like and if you don't think it is real let the person have his or her glory, we only live once so lets enjoy all types of stories in life and believe what you wish and let the dreams be what they are. Don't bust a bubble if it is not floating over your head. Anything is possible in terms of street racing. Unless it is proving in my eyes I won't say it can't be done. I have seen some vehicles that I would not think would win a bicycle race and it took down a GNX so we should not say it can't be done for all things comes and goes. If you live in the mile high country you all know what happens there. and when you live in Florida we know what happens there so consideration is warranty in terms of tuning each vehicle. I hope I haven't over-step my bounds on here.

-Ray-
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I really don't pay a great deal of attention to the stories. I didn't even read the bike story until Robert posted his reality thread.
First off, I would never race a bike that had a rider on it. Ever. That's just me.
Also I would never race anyone that had a kid in the car. Ever. That's just me.
I'm a few years older than most here and maturity should be the expectation.
The one thing I've learned is that people are going to do whatever they want too, regardless of what someone feels like.

We have already seen enough wrecks in these cars. I don't want to read about one of our members losing it on the street. You can't post from jail.
From one old guy: Be careful out there. Be smarter than the other guy. Race on your terms.

'02 ws6
06-01-2009, 09:30 AM
According to the actual altitude and weather conditions you stated in your other post the DA was more like 7500'+ above sea level not 5600'. DA takes actual altitude, barometric pressure, relative humidity, and air temperature into account to calculate the oxygen content of a given volume of air relative to what average altitude that would be encountered at. If you did a calculated correction of that ET based upon that figure then you would see what true numbers the vehicle would run at the average sea level track in normal environmental conditions. Much more impressive than a 13.3 ET I can assure you that. Heck don't take my word for it, do the calc's yourself if you want.

They calculate it @ the track, as well as my knowledge of it. 3683ft elevation, 72 degrees, 44% humity, 30.00 in baro press, exactly @ 5401DA by my figurings.

Corrects to 12.4 @ 121. For $50+? Not impressing me, like I have previously said.

G8+6=fun
06-01-2009, 09:51 AM
All points are well taking G8 Ray well said. The older we get we get a little wiser in every-day life. Sometimes it takes a reality check to make it come to life.

MissNaySimon
06-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I just don't street race. I'd rather save it for the track than kill someone or myself, total my car, and put my child at risk.

Race the strip, not the street.

MoonPie
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Motor Trend:
2010 Ford Shelby GT500
540hp 510 tq

0-60 4.7S
1/4 13.7

2007 Ford Shelby GT500
0-60 in 4.4s
1/4 in 12.7s.

I guess they used different drivers for the two different cars. The 2010 was done in Claifornia, the 2007 in Arizona.

BlazinRed
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
The OP is absolutely correct - every car forum I've been on eventually starts making their cars out to be the second coming. I love the G8, I think it's a very quick car, but not to the exception of all the others. I find it funny for someone to say that they spanked xxxxx that was bone stock then I read their sig to see the mods used to pull off this feat. it all boils down to who wants to spend the most money - any car can be made relatively quick, but after some modification point you're comparing apples and pineapples. My $.02.

jeppsG8
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Wait a minute... So you guys are saying that my car isn't the fastest car on the planet no matter what I might think? Damn. I guess I need to paint it red or something. Here I have been turning down races because they were all a 'gimme' according to the kills section here.

Seriously though, be careful. A very nice lady was killed in front of her husband while gardening in her front yard two weeks ago in my neighborhood because a 'street race' went bad. Driver had been drinking, but still, most guys out there wanting to go, really shouldn't be no matter what they think their ride can do. I have to pull out of races all the time because the other driver has more HP than brains. I'm sure all of them are on the web telling the whole world how they 'killed' a G8.

GRRRR8
06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I was out this weekend and had to ignore a few imports with "chin-up bar" rear spoilers. They were clueless. My cars IS fast, but not for 1 second do I think its THE fastest or cant be beat. Thats impossible. I think when you get to be 40+ and have had many 10-11 second street cars you get offended when someone says they beat X, knowing what X runs on a bad day. I guess for me is I dont want a noob to the G8/V-8/street race scene to try and race X and get destroyed and regret his decision on the purchase he made. I street raced for many years for $$$ and I dont anymore. If you catch me at a light and get frisky you might get to see the show, but if you are in a gutless TURD....why bother or if I had a shitty day I may clown you just because I can. It doesnt make my car any faster. It does increase the risk factor everytime I do though.

G8+6=fun
06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I get the same when I pull up to a light and I am driving the Porsche a lot of them wants to try it and I just ignore them for the fact I know what I have and it can do, No wasted time unless he or she makes it what it is then I might get down and that is when they make a left or right turn so not to get next to the old guy again... The G8 I don't play at all I very seldom drive it. It is a peace of history now so I think I will leave it alone and just let my Granddaughter have it when I meet my Maker. When you walk in these shoes for as many years I have you sort of learned a lesson or 2

wreckwriter
06-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Personally I recommend never racing bikes, particularly crotch-rocket bikes, for 2 reasons: first, they'll beat you pretty much every time; second if the guy crashes in front of you (and he will be in front of you) you have a real good chance of running him or the bike over. Crashed bike and bikers don't stay in their lanes very well. Not fun.

Ever notice drag strips never let cars race bikes?

GRRRR8
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
^ +1 ^ Seen it happen! Not pretty.

wyldman
06-01-2009, 04:11 PM
I really don't pay a great deal of attention to the stories. I didn't even read the bike story until Robert posted his reality thread.
First off, I would never race a bike that had a rider on it. Ever. That's just me.
Also I would never race anyone that had a kid in the car. Ever. That's just me.
I'm a few years older than most here and maturity should be the expectation.
The one thing I've learned is that people are going to do whatever they want too, regardless of what someone feels like.

We have already seen enough wrecks in these cars. I don't want to read about one of our members losing it on the street. You can't post from jail.
From one old guy: Be careful out there. Be smarter than the other guy. Race on your terms.

+1

I refuse to race a lot of people because I can tell they don't realize the kind of weapon they are driving on the street.

People will pull out in front of you because they don't realize how fast you are going. Plus it takes a lot longer to stop from 150 than it does from 65.

G8H8
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Being 37 myself, I understand where some of the vets on here are coming from. I find myself thinking stuff thru quickly.

Example:

Pull out of driveway onto a straight road. completely clear except for one car parked next to the curb. My thought are, "Sure would be nice to floor it" but then I think. What happens if I fishtail? Could I hit that car?

You gotta think before you react. Just my .02

MANOFSTEEL69
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
General rule of thumb when racing, driving or riding any vehicle.....When you think you know more, or are better than what ever you are riding or driving....GET OFF or OUT of it because it will give you a rude awakening real quick. ;)

TonyKarter
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
One time...at band camp,
I had a dog run out of a yard. He got the jump on me, several strides, but I snicked it over into sport mode, nailed it, and blew by him like he was standing still...actually, he was standing still by then 'cause the yard was fenced and he'd reached the end of it.
Is this a case of him winning due to him backing out of it when he was several strides ahead, or can I count this as a kill? I think he was modded...