PDA

View Full Version : Center speaker

Panzer Leader
05-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Anyone know how to remove the grill to get to the center speaker? Photos of how to remove the speaker would be helpfull. After removing grill, does the speaker simply unscrew. And most important anyone know the dimensions and recommendation for replacement. Someone said a 2 way Infinity Kappa would be good. Or how about a 3 way. Just need to know that the size will fit. I already have the 2 way Kappa 62.9i in all doors.
Thanks.

"So many modifications, so little time."
"The G-8, the car you assemble after purchase."

BlueJacket
05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I think the grill just has to be poped off.

BluYa76
05-30-2009, 08:58 PM
There are 4 pop off tabs holding it down. I used a very thin flat head screw driver to pry it up and I had to use a little muscle to get it to pop out. Take it slowly to be sure not to damage the dash when you do it.

Darkside
05-31-2009, 03:13 AM
If I remember correctly, you need to begin at the back pins and work towards the front. I used a small screwdriver as well. I put a rag around it not to scratch anything. The speaker is just held in by a couple of screws. You should be able to pop the cover and remove the speaker in a couple of minutes.

GR8 Vino
05-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Darkside is correct. Start at the back, closest to the windshield and gently pop up back then sides and work your way towards the front.

GR8 Vino
05-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Anyone know how to remove the grill to get to the center speaker? Photos of how to remove the speaker would be helpfull. After removing grill, does the speaker simply unscrew. And most important anyone know the dimensions and recommendation for replacement. Someone said a 2 way Infinity Kappa would be good. Or how about a 3 way. Just need to know that the size will fit. I already have the 2 way Kappa 62.9i in all doors.
Thanks.

"So many modifications, so little time."
"The G-8, the car you assemble after purchase."

The center channel speaker is a 3 1/2". I used a Infinity 2 way with crossover. If you can find a 3 way that will fit go for it. I had another suggestion for your center channel over powering the rest of the speakers up front. You might try adjusting your fader to the front to a +1 or 2 to give the front door speakers more balance with the center channel. I think the best thing is to change the center but you could give it a try.

Panzer Leader
05-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks to all of you for the input. Will try speaker change out. Other alternative would be another amp for door speakers only???

JMorris
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Do the resistor mod, it works great.

BigRed585Lbs
10-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Did the resistor mod today. Excellent! With the woofer amp cranked up, the bass set to + 5, the treble set to +6, the music really comes alive. Real good separation with that center speaker output attenuated with the resistor (had to use two 8-ohm paralleled since I couldn't find a 4-ohm). Works like it should have from the factory, but then we couldn't do all these mods.

pokey
10-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Tip for those removing the grill:

1) I was able to pry up at the windshield beginning at the drivers side corner to get some fingers from both my hands under both sides and then pry up the side at the window. Made the fingers a little sore but it worked.

2) Then I used a plastic pry bar I bought at Harbor Freight Tools to pull up by the next clip nearest to the steering wheel. This worked for this clip but (I think) by not pulling up on each side at the same time I broke the clip on the passenger side front. If I did it again I would try lifting up both sides at the same time it this would be possible? to release the front two.

3) There is then one right in the center of the grill closest to the shifter this one popped out pretty easy as I moved forward releasing the clips. If you can, tilt the side of the grill nearest the window up and toward you to release the middle clip last because...On the front of the grill (underneath) there are also little plastic tabs on each side of the center clip so I would not start from the front closet to the shifter.

Was a pain in the ass but it is out. Good Luck.